Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

90 miles was the journey, raising funds for the Myton Hospice the aim, up at quarter to six out the house at seven to ride down to The Myton Hospice in Warwick, arrived at eight and got signed up to do the 60 miler. Lovely route out past the Chesterton Windmill and on though to Upper Boddington, before turning to go through Priors Marston,and on to Willoughby. Climbed up from the A45 to the water tower then turned through Barby to pick up the main road through Dunchurch, the only part of the route I wasn't keen on, turned back on to the lanes through hill and Birdingbury and on through Leamington spa to Warwick and the finish. An excellent days cycling, what can be better, country lanes warm sun on your back and raising funds for a good cause, I'm knackered but happy.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=449489

Image0077.jpg

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
And you got a medal, smart!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
We had loads of classic cars go past today, I thought we'd travelled back in time...

I forgot to mention one of the highlights of today - being overtaken by a tractor and trailer and seeing one of my fellow riders drafting it!

I hope you did the decent thing and joined in the draft fest :whistle: (caveat: drafting can be very dangerous and should under no circumstances be attempted)

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I hope you did the decent thing and joined in the draft fest :whistle: (caveat: drafting can be very dangerous and should under no circumstances be attempted)

The first tractor was carrying muck and a fair bit of dried muck dust was escaping the confines of the trailer, the second took me by surprise, and my legs just were not coping with the silly single speed I was on!

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Went out intending to ride to mothers (62 round trip), got 25 miles in and coped out, turned around and called it short. 42 in the end. Yesterday's club ride of 72 took more out of me than I realised! That and it was very warm!

Standoff

Thirty five miles and felt awful after five miles. No idea why. Was fairly warm and I only had long sleeve top and long leggings clean so didn't help. Still, home now with a bottle of wine and food!
Wish I knew when these 'off days' were going to occur!

Chrisc

Guru
21 easy miles. Cooling rain shower a couple of miles from home was very welcome!

lanternerouge

Veteran
This cyclist is getting seriously ****ed off with being ill! :cursing: I had an abcess a month ago, had the tooth out, got an infection and have been really unwell ever since. 4th set of antibiotics now. I had planned to spend my summer break cycling and getting fit and haven't been able to do anything. Currently wheezing and coughing my way through the ensuing chest infection.

I WANT TO RIDE MY BIKE!!!!:cry:

There, that's better.

theloafer

Legendary Member
well had a great day out got a little damp towards the end ..:rain: but its only water ....left darlo 9 ish out to grt smeaton- hornby-appleton wiske-east harsey-ellerbeck-osmotherley- up past the Chequers Tea Room
then were due to go to hemsley our leader altered route at hawnby...:whistle: off to kepwick which sounded fine till we ran out of tarmac:laugh: came toroad split right was a b/path ....straight on was a sign in blue unsuiteable for motor ,s...should have said 4x4 only was loose stone and up on the tops (walk was nice) but not what you need on a carbon bike with 23 tyre,s...we got to kepwick dropped down to A19 then called at northallerton for food ^_^ then to yafforth right to danby wiske on to atley hill then straight back to darlovia croft to the club house (hole in the wall) for a few pints and the best bit my g/f was sat in the pub waiting to run me back to aycliffe :wahhey:

garmin info http://connect.garmin.com/activity/212486613

larry

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I headed out with the intention of doing a 30 mile route today. Because of the Raleigh being still part dismantled I had to use the knockabout bike this time.

It started off well with light winds and warm weather (after torrential rain earlier - I got soaked walking the dog) and I had a swift ride through Condover, Ryton, Longnor, and round the back of Leebotwood before turning towards Cardington. The climb over to Cardington (marked as Folly Bank on the map) is a good one going up to 866 feet but today I fairly breezed up it.

A rest at the top was most welcome before enjoying the almost 30mph descent into Cardington.

DSC00382.JPG

Cardington

DSC00384.JPG

The Royal Oak
DSC00383.JPG

The Church
DSC00387.JPG

Little did I realise how soon I'd be back at this phone box.

After Cardington I headed down the road through Gretton with the intention of heading in the direction of Hughley but unfortunately today it was not to be. About 1/2 a mile past Gretton there was a pop from behind me. "Oh you are kidding me" says I and stopping at the road side, as I feared there was a broken spoke and my rear wheel is binding slightly on the brakes.:cursing:

I've had this before so I decide to nurse the bike back home. It's a bit further to carry on, but flatter so I carry on. About 200 yards further on there is another pop and the brake is now noticably binding. There is no need to ask what it is this time.:cursing::cursing:

Okay, no problem, just disconnect the back brake and continue. I've ridden with 2 spokes broken before and it'll make it home as long as I go slowly.

About 200 yards further on there is a third pop.:cursing::cursing::cursing: The back wheel is now binding on the frame and is effectively unrideable. "Blast!" says I, or possibly words to that effect and I reach for my mobile to call for help... No signal. Of course there isn't, it is not that kind of day is it? I now only have two options. Retrace my steps to the phone box in Cardington or walk home. I don't fancy walking 12 miles with a bike whose wheel won't turn properly so it's Cardington.

DSC00386.JPG

That doesn't look right!

So for the first time that I can recall, I had to phone for my Dad to come and get me. At 39 that is an embarrasing prospect and I feel I have let you all down.:cry::whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom