Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
With the horrendous forecast for yesterday and having being away with work for most of the week, I arranged other stuff for the day and in a true meteorological shocker the weather was nowhere near as bad as predicted...:rolleyes:

So, I was chomping at the bit to get out on the bike this morning, for my first ride in 8 days.

It had stopped raining by just after 9am and I was out the door shortly after. It's safe to say it was a bit breezy though.
Less that half a mile from home I had my first unplanned change of direction as heading downhill I got caught in a gust of crosswind coming between houses, which at least made sure I was fully awake. :eek:

Onto Barwick Road and first near miss of the day as an Iceland van made what looked to be a last second decision to turn right across me at the traffic lights without indicating. :dry:
Anyway, down the hill to Cock Beck and then attacked the climb up the other side to Scholes, hoping the wind would assist me improving on my PB - sadly not as it proved to be more of a rear 3/4 wind that a tailwind so any push it was giving was offset by the way I was getting blown about all over the place.
Into Scholes and left at the Coronation Tree, having already decided on a change of route that would hopefully minimise exposure to the wind. Which meant cycling along Main Street firstly with a headwind and then a crosswind that was moving me about all over the place as it blasted between the houses. Fun it was not.
Over the former railway bridge and the road is more sheltered thanks to trees and drops down slightly heading for the A64, although another close pass, this time from a Renault Moron, sorry, Megane kept me focussed. To be fair it was one of those special close passes, where the driver moves out over the white lines after they've passed you...
As I got within 100yds of the A64 I started getting buffeted again and knowing how busy the 50mph York Road was likely to be, I did something I haven't done since I was about 14 and rode on the footpath down to the Thorner Lane turning , then dismounted and pushed the bike across the road, remounting on the other side.
A sizeable peleton was heading the other way and fair play to them for being out in the weather.
Down Thorner Lane and I took primary just trying to stay right in the middle of the lane such was the turbulence from the wind and I was getting a bit worried for my safety at this point. I had initially planned to drop down the hill into Thorner, then through the village and do a long loop round on the lanes, but decided enough was enough and turned left onto Skelton Lane and head homeward.
This meant I was cycling straight into the maelstrom and there was nothing for it but to drop down into the small ring at the front and spin it out. At first I was just keeping my speed in double figures, but as I went on I was getting slower and slower and at one point hit a low of just 5.2mph - on the flat!!!:eek:

Eventually I reached Coal Road passing the club ride I saw last weekend, all resplendent in red and black and fair motoring along with the wind at their backs, and turned left with a decent amount of shelter from the tall hedges along most of the road, then down onto local roads to home. Part of this is sheltered by factories so the crosswind wasn't too bad, but as I approached the end of them I could hear the wind roaring through the trees where it opens out again and I backed right off (I'd normally be doing 20-25mph along here), and just as well as it was blasting across the gap.

6.36 miles (10.23km) in 30m 20s at an average of 12.6mph and 351ft climbed.
Mr Garmin gives the average wind speed as 24mph, but on checking the Met Office site when I got it, it was gusting at up to 40mph. Maybe I should have cycled to York, then caught the train back..? :laugh:

So, good to get out but just too windy to be safe today. Still, it's a cheeky 10k in the bag and there is always next time. Fair play to everyone else who was out in that on their bikes and I hope they all got home safely.
Sorry no pic today either as the phone would probably have got blown away too ;)

But, here's a map:
22102017.JPG

Riding a bit later this morning, but in a circuitous route to Thornes Park (Wakefield), to watch the (Wakefield Triathlon Club organised) 6th round of the YCCA winter series
https://yorkshirecyclocross.com/the...17-yorkshire-points-6-thornes-park-wakefield/

I did consider dragging the CX bike out of the garage, riding there, & competing in it.... maybe sneaking into the 'Novice' race, as it's been a while since I raced
However, a couple of WTC members, reckon as I've ridden before, I really ought to be in my 'V50' class

Ride report/pics later!

Bike selected; CGR (as I was venturing onto the sodden/slippery/muddy grass, of a public park)
Weather; intermittent cloud/sun. cold, a rather sharp headwind on the 'out'
Photographs from today (unless captioned otherwise)

I rode over, leaving home about 12:00
Very gusty winds, particularly on the top of the (short) 'PineApple Hill' (the pub on the crest -now closed/converted to house - was 'The PineApple')
Mindst you, it's a decent view on a clear day; HolmeMoss, Saddleworth Moor, Langsett Moor, etc.....

Riding over Black Road, towards Wakefield, & Doncaster Road, meant a lot of grovelling trying to spin a 34 x 17

Joining Doncaster Road wasn't much better, into Wakefield, past the Rugby ground (Wakefield Trinity)
Chantry Bridge was its usual traffic filled self, last week there was a Service being held in the Bridge Chapel there
The old bridge isn't used, there's a 1930s bridge alongside

Along Thornes Lane, past the Hepworth Gallery, which seemed very busy indeed

Passing under the '99 Arches', of the Leeds - Wakefield - Doncaster - Kings Cross railway
Which has these archways in the piers
DSCF3919.JPG
I was looking through the arch on the extreme left of this link, towards the right
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1892663

Joining the Denby-Dale TurnPike, by the old Holmfield House car-park

Round onto Thornes Road, & enter the Park via the Stork Lodge Gates (where the Gate-Lodge is now a Café)
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/969112
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4266635

Up the No Through Road (to motor vehicles) to the School, where signing on was taking place
The first person I see, was Chris Young (ex National Senior, & Vet CX champion)
I've not seen him for a while, I know him, but know Mick (his brother, who also races CX) better, but Chris said "Hello", & knew my name

Quite a few familiar faces up & down, some whom I also see running
Phil Hinchcliffe (Holmfirth CC), who's ridden the Three Peaks Cyclo-Cross, almost 30 times!
Jough Watson (was one of Bradford Olympics strong-men)
Norah Thackray (stalwart organiser, mum of Richard & Robert, the ex National CX squad brothers

Plus, quite a few from the organising Club
IslaBikes had quite a few on display, presumably Miss Rowntree herself was racing?
DSCF3923.JPG

It's not the warmest of places, even in Summer, particularly on that side of the Park, but what the heck!!
2017. 6. Map.jpg

The field for the Senior/Vet 40 must have been 230 or so, as they were very well strung out, even by the first hairpin (after finish line)
Chris Young leading
DSCF3940.JPG

Phil Hinchcliffe remounting
DSCF3941.JPG
A similar story for the Ladies/V50

What did strike me, was the sheer number of teenage girls riding, well, they looked young
Well done YCCA, for promoting it, in that aspect

My (WTC member) friend/sometimes riding partner, Sarah, deserves an honourable mention, as the bike she was going to use was faulty, so she used her old MTB........................................................................ on slicks!!:wacko:
I hope she finished
DSCF3949.JPG

Sarah
DSCF3952.JPG

I'll admit, I didn't stay the full 45 minutes of the Ladies/V50, as it was just too cold, I was shivering uncontrollably at one point - despite being dressed for standing around (4 layers on top, skull cap, gloves, etc....)
Once moving again, & a couple of miles down the road, I was fine, & almost too warm

Attachments

• Chantry Chapel. 11.JPG
    Chantry Chapel. 11.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Chantry Chapel. 13.JPG
    Chantry Chapel. 13.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF3946.JPG
    DSCF3946.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 34

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Still doing the decorating, so grabbed a quick 3 miles into town as the kids decided they wanted crumpets for lunch and we had none. Back on the commute tomorrow. Looks like October will be my lowest mileage month so far this year, the combination of being away from home and decorating has put paid to my regular rides. Managed my metric century though, but still need to get the half in to keep both challenges going

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After procrastinating most of the day I finally got the knockabout bike out and went for a bit of a ride. Just a local loop: into town, through The Quarry, out on the old canal path to Uffington then Upton Magna, Atcham, Cross Houses, Berrington, Boreton, Condover, Lyth Hill and home.

It feels a bit more like autumn out there now but was quite pleasant once I'd made myself get out and I enjoyed the ride. The Quarry was quite busy in places so progress was slow and it was the same along the riverside path. The bell got a fair bit of use and is "classy" according to one bloke I passed.^_^

Doing the route this way round meant I had a tailwind or crosswind from Uffington onwards which made the riding nice and easy. I passed a reasonable number of other cyclists - more I think than on some weekends in the summer.:scratch:

Not being in any kind of a rush I took to the quieter lanes after Berrington, which I had almost to myself until quite near Condover, then the longer hillier way over Lyth Hill which didn't seem as much effort as usual. The descent the other side is usually quite fun but today I got held up by a motorist for a good mile. Shouldn't complain about somebody not speeding on this road I suppose.;)

20.9 miles at 12.5 mph average.

DSC0005301.jpg

Pleasure cruiser Sabrina passes the imposing premises of Shrewsbury School.

DSC0005302.jpg

A few people out and about in The Quarry.

DSC0005304.jpg

Following the path further downstream opposite the Gay Meadow (that was).

DSC0005305.jpg

At Upton Magna.

DSC0005308.jpg

The gates of Attingham Park.

DSC0005309.jpg

New and old bridges at Atcham.

DSC0005311.jpg

Looking up the drive to Cronkhill.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
My legs wouldn't work this morning. So it was a rude shock when Steve E's enthusiasm launched us on the ride to Upton. Jules H, Pete M and John G were waiting despite my legs having delayed our arrival by 2 minutes. The call was Ledbury so it wasn't too surprising to be riding the Castlemorton lanes. John needed to return so headed off after Birtsmorton. The Motorway bridge at Pendock is nearing completion so I was able to wave at Hazel R down on the M50. The climb to Redmarley didn't seem too bad but I was off the back again but eventually regained the peloton after a bit of a descent. Soon we rounded by Donnington. Steve and Jules decided a flurry of speed was the thing on the way into Ledbury so I was off the back again. Pete wasn't bothered so waited.

We met up with the Malvern Cyclesport A group in the cafe. Brian M and Chris S were there. Long time since I've seen either. Nice to catch up. After some nice refreshments we routed by Cutthroat Lane for Petty France. Then at the bottom of the Wyche Steve headed straight up while Jules and I decided Evendine would be a nice change so Pete peeled off from us as he lives near there. The spring at the top was very refreshing and I filled my bottle for a super cup of tea later. Jules and I dropped off on the homeward side and as we bid each other goodbye a shower decided to have a go. So home was I in a jiffy. Nice wee outing in lovely if windy weather. But all good for sure. 41 smiles

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as per...
With Storm Brian in the offing, I decided to set out reasonably early (for me, after my usual stupid o'clock finish from w*rk)
I'd pre-fettled the Trek, fortunately, as I had a front tyre p*ncture from my last ride, and hoped to do the first half of my intended route into a 20-25 MPH headwind, saving the 40-45 MPH gusts for a tailwind home :okay:

The plan kind of worked. It was a struggle across the open fields to Salcey via Great Houghton, though once into the forest, it was a lot easier.
A slight hiccup with Farmer Giles as I rode through a farm. I said 'hello' and got a kind of 'Git orf my larnd' look from him. Turns out that I'd followed what I thought was a bridleway but turned out to be his larnd I had to git orf... After a short conversation, he was OK about it, realising it was my map reading that was dodgy today, and I carried on without a blast of buckshot up my padded shorts :surrender:
Roll on the 'Right to Roam' in Northants..
Onwards and upwards, as they say, to Salcey Forest, where the trail was closed in my intended direction.

IMG_3908.JPG

No problem though, as it's a circular trail.

IMG_3913.JPG

I just rode t'other way round to the cafe for an ice cream and a cuppa.
See how strong the wind was in there? It actually blew the pepper pot over! :ohmy:

After Salcey, I had some more open field roads to cross, with varying head and side winds gusting ever more strongly.
Luckily, I was nearing the canal cutting near Blisworth, so pedalling got easier for the homeward leg.

Untitled.png

Back home, before the wind got too wild, on just over 33 miles, happy that wearing shorts was the right choice, but glad I wore the knee warmers for the first hour of the ride!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1240196608

:smile:

13 rider

Guru
Yesterday's ride today . Yesterday was another Leicester CC forum ride the organiser (me) had plotted a particular hilly route :evil:and still people sign up and with the effects of storm Brian it was going to be a tough day on the bike . Out the door at 0745 facing 16 miles into the wind to the meeting point . Just outside Peckleton I spotted a rider in the distance who I recognised as I got nearer I starting sprinting as I passed @Supersuperleeds at speed :tongue: .I think he knew I'd blow up and we were soon riding along chatting . Quick detour up a farm drive to regain a velo viewer square .Then over an exposed bit of road feeling the full force of Brian.We were soon at the meeting point to find @tallliman waiting for us .Soon @Chris Doyle arrived who hasn't riden with us before so as introductions were being made in rolled @Lilliburlero . A quick chat and were off heading for the shelter of the hills around Thornton and Markfield as we approach Hill lane which involves a left turn straight onto a steep ramp I warned @Chris Doyle and @Lilliburlero to change down I may have forgot to tell @Supersuperleeds and @tallliman :whistle: who may have turned the corner in the wrong gear . Onto the first big climb of Priory lane at bit of a brute I think @Chris Doyle found it tough . Regroup at the top for a rest . Still climbing up Whitcroft lane then finally at bit of relief with some descent and flat along Charley Rd onto the next climb through Oaks in Charnwood upto the Monastery I stuck with @Chris Doyle as the other 3 went in front . After all the climbing we were rewarded with the quick descent down Swannymote road and more flat to Belton ,Tonge and the cafe stop at Breedon on the hill had a couple of stops for lost lights and a gps issue . Were in Beth's Kitchen consuming Bacon rolls and cakes :hungry: another lovely cafe found . After the break @tallliman turned for home and I think he have a lovely 7 miles tailwind assisted ride home . Leaving 4 of us to head for Greysich lane a climb that had a lot of discussion leading up to the ride as apparently it's a proper brute . Me and @Supersuperleeds needed it for velo viewer squares . So a few miles of headwind down some lovely lanes at this point @Chris Doyle decided to dodge Greysich and @Lilliburlero decided to guide @Chris Doyle around the climb ( so he also avoided it :whistle: ) . @Supersuperleeds went in front while a stopped at the junction to check we had the regroup point sorted . So onto the climb and I had the target of a rider up the road , first thought catch him before the top , hit the steep bit and second thought just get up it !!! It was the brute people had suggested .Another quick dead end road for another square and were soon regrouped as a 4 . Heading back to Market Bosworth and @Lilliburlero got with 2 miles from home but kept with us to get the milage for a metric century in soon after Measham he finally headed home .Leaving 3 of us to complete the rolling terrain back to Market Bosworth . Back to the car park and 52 mile loop done . Well done @Chris Doyle for getting round :notworthy: he hasn't riden as much as the rest of us and picked a tough first ride . So it's just me and @Supersuperleeds to head home . Slightly tail assisted ride to Ratby were we finally parted company . So back home 80 miles done 5600ft of climbing at 14.8 mph a tough day all round . @Supersuperleeds did over 6100 ft of climbing well done everyone despite the conditions it was a lovely ride in great company and I promise that's the hillest ride I will ever organise honest

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
A short ride, after work, in weather that was so mild I only needed a T-shirt and could have got away with shorts, but mistakenly went for trousers and overheated a bit. It was 18c when I left work!!

One of my usual town routes, up to Heathgates, down to the river and along the towpath to The Quarry. Slight moment on the cobbles, under the railway bridge, which were damp and the bike started to slide from underneath me! Avoided falling off just about.

Lots of joggers and dog walkers enjoying the mild evening. Continued through Porthill and Shelton, before heading up through Copthorne, Radbrook, Meole Brace and home.

12.9 miles at 11.9mph avg speed

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
An afternoon jaunt today which contained mud, unexpected rain and a puncture. Deja vu?:huh:

I was doing an extended version of my Melverley loop and headed out to Condover to start with. I wasn't overly impressed with the standard of driving at the start which included a couple of close passes and a van overtaking me on the slip road off the A49. (which isn't really wide enough for such a manouvre):headshake: Then I encountered the mud mentioned above. About 400 yards with a thick layer of the stuff on the road and it was flinging off the tyres in all directions. The newish mudflap did its job and kept the bottom bracket and the drivetrain clean.

Through Exfords Green and on my way to Pontesbury the riding was a little more pleasant, I found myself riding across broken glass at the crossroads with Longden Road as there had been a recent prang. (Didn't pick any glass up fortunately).

I took to the cyclepath between Pontesbury & Minsterley which is more pleasant than mixing it with the fast aggressive drivers who frequent this bit of road. It's also elevated above the road giving a view over the fields and I could see curtains of rain in the direction I was headed. Oh drat. Fortunately I managed to miss the showers for the time being.

The wind was behind me along Horsebridge Road which was nice but the hedges had recently been cut (first of many today), which wasn't. To avoid more mud I went slightly out of my way by staying on the busier roads to Westbury. A nice bus driver held back until it was properly safe to overtake and gave plenty of room when he did. :okay: to Tanat Valley Coaches.

I had a good run without incident through Halfway House, Princes Oak, Melverley, Pentre, and up to Great Ness then turned off my usual route and headed for Grafton & Yeaton, Walford Heath, Merrington and Hadnall. I caused a slight blockage by stopping to take a photo in Yeaton :blush: then climbed up to Merrington where I found my second really muddy lane of the trip which managed to be even worse than the first.:rolleyes:

There are usually some nice views over Shrewsbury and towards the hills from here but today there were more curtains of rain sweeping across. This time I didn't manage to miss them and it started to drizzle on the way to Hadnall. Fortunately not too heavily which was just as well as I realised I hadn't swapped my waterproofs over to the small bag.:shy:

After Hadnall I was turning back towards the wind and these roads seem to just keep climbing so it wasn't quick progress until about a mile from Upton Magna where I finally had the nice descent off the edge off Haughmond Hill into the village.

The rest of the trip from here was on very familiar roads. About half a mile from Allfield, dropping into the dip I spotted something moving up ahead. It turned out to be another cyclist pushing his bike due to it having a puncture. I offered help and as he didn't have far to go he just asked for the tyre to be pumped up. It took and held pressure and he was on his way in just a few minutes. (:hello: if you see this Leonardo. Hope it lasted the couple of miles).

I took the short route back from here which was fast and quite enjoyable.

50.3 miles today at 14.5 mph average. Nice to see a few other cyclists out and about. The bike has had another clean and a checkover for thorns in the tyres (none found).

I wasn't really thinking about photography today so just a few snaps:

DSC0005314.jpg

:giggle:

DSC0005316.jpg

The oak at Prince's Oak.

DSC0005315.jpg

The plaque by the tree. By my calculations, this Prince of Wales (later George IV) was 44 before he could be bothered to visit his principality.:rolleyes:

DSC0005318.jpg

DSC0005319.jpg

A couple from Yeaton

DSC0005320.jpg

The Wrekin from Haughmond Hill. A bit greyer and more drizzly than expected today.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Yesterday's ride today . Yesterday was another Leicester CC forum ride the organiser (me) had plotted a particular hilly route :evil:and still people sign up and with the effects of storm Brian it was going to be a tough day on the bike . Out the door at 0745 facing 16 miles into the wind to the meeting point . Just outside Peckleton I spotted a rider in the distance who I recognised as I got nearer I starting sprinting as I passed @Supersuperleeds at speed :tongue: .I think he knew I'd blow up and we were soon riding along chatting . Quick detour up a farm drive to regain a velo viewer square .Then over an exposed bit of road feeling the full force of Brian.We were soon at the meeting point to find @tallliman waiting for us .Soon @Chris Doyle arrived who hasn't riden with us before so as introductions were being made in rolled @Lilliburlero . At quick chat and were off heading for the shelter of the hills around Thornton and Markfield as we approach Hill lane which involves a left turn straight onto a steep ramp I warned @Chris Doyle and @Lilliburlero to change down I may have forgot to tell @Supersuperleeds and @tallliman :whistle: who may have turned the corner in the wrong gear . Onto the first big climb of Priory lane at bit of a brute I think @Chris Doyle found it tough . Regroup at the top for a rest . Still climbing up Whitcroft lane then finally at bit of relief with some descent and flat along Charley Rd onto the next climb through Oaks in Charnwood upto the Monastery I stuck with @Chris Doyle as the other 3 went in front . After all the climbing we were rewarded with the quick descent down Swannymote road and more flat to Belton ,Tonge and the cafe stop at Breedon on the hill have a couple of stops for lost lights and a gps issue . Were in Beth's Kitchen consuming Bacon rolls and cakes :hungry: another lovely cafe found . After the break @tallliman turned for home and I think he have a lovely 7 miles tailwind assisted ride home . Leaving 4 of us to head for Greysich lane a climb that had a lot of discussion leading up to the ride as apparently it's a proper brute . Me and @Supersuperleeds needed it for velo viewer squares . So a few miles of headwind down some lovely lanes at this point @Chris Doyle decided to dodge Greysich and @Lilliburlero decided to guide @Chris Doyle around the climb ( so he also avoided it :whistle: ) . @Supersuperleeds went in front while a stopped at the junction to check we had the regroup point sorted . So onto the climb and I had the target of a rider up the road , first thought catch him before the top , hit the steep bit and second thought just get up it !!! It was the brute people had suggested .Another quick dead end road for another square and were soon regrouped as a 4 . Heading back to Market Bosworth and @Lilliburlero got with 2 miles from home but kept with us to get the milage for a metric century in soon after Measham he finally headed home .Leaving 3 of us to complete the rolling terrain back to Market Bosworth . Back to the car park and 52 mile loop done . Well done @Chris Doyle for getting round :notworthy: he hasn't riden as much as the rest of us a picked a tough first ride . So it's just me and @Supersuperleeds to head home . Slightly tail assisted ride to Ratby were we finally parted company . So back home 80 miles done 5600ft of climbing at 14.8 mph a tough day all round . @Supersuperleeds did over 6100 ft of climbing well done everyone despite the conditions it was a lovely ride in great company and I promise that's the hillest ride I will ever organise honest

My legs hurt today. :sad:

Went out this morning on the Kona Roadhouse, now the Enigma will be kept back for better weather.

Not that it was bad today, shorts and short sleeve top again today

Did a variation on my Deepcut loop via Addlestone, Ottershaw, Chobham Frimley, Deepcut, Pirbright, Knaphill, Chobham again and return via Chertsey

Quite pleasant though there is still a bit of a wind. Legs a bit stiff so speed not quite up to recent levels

36.10 miles @ 16.6 mph
955 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/1246058239

Still got a bit of mudguard rattle on the Kona, will pack out where I think it is with some foam..

Last edited:
Top Bottom