Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
20171206_092928_zpsbpsfu6cz.png

Happy with this, back is feeling a little better - need more physio though - it felt a faster ride than 11.6mph average!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A rare mid-week ride for me, as I'm using up the remains of my annual leave allocation before the end of the year.
Stuff to do later, so out just after 8am and before it was properly light so I used the deluxe Chinese CREE light for the first time that someone posted a link to on the 'Found a Bargain' thread ages ago. By 'eck it's bright! :sun:Suitable angle and beam adjusted and I was on my way.

Up onto Coal Road, then Skeltons Lane and the long and bumpy descent into Thorner, covering part of next years TdY route ;) and through the village. Past the church and round onto Milner Lane for the bit of up, bit of down and the inevitable sharp climb up onto the ridge. Bowled along there between the hedges at a fair wind assisted pace, onto Holme Farm Lane and round to East Rigton and into the mudfest. Up Compton Lane, where the mud continued all the way past the farm and on to the gas installation, where matters improved a bit. Dropping down to the junction, the plunging down the twisty lane to Collingham where the previous mudfest was much improved. Along School Lane to the A58 where I waited for a couple of minutes for a gap in the traffic to get across and onto the A659 for a couple of hundred yards before taking the road towards Linton and across the bridge. Up into the village and the lumpiness that follows as the road rises and falls, before eventually taking the right into Wetherby and after a quick scoot round the town dropping down into the Wilderness for a photo and a Snickers as the drones parked up and headed for a days work:
IMG_20171206_084809924_BURST003.jpg

Back on the bike and up the sharp ramp back into town and out on Walton Road, across the A1(M) Bridge and on past the racecourse, through yet more temporary traffic lights and then right for Thorp Arch.
After the obligatory loop around to Long Causeway, I dropped down onto the bridge and stopped for a couple of pics:
IMG_20171206_091609029_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20171206_091703611_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Back in the saddle and the climb up into Boston Spa where it was busy and I found my first idiot of the day. A school run mum in her far eastern faux-by-four pulled right in to the kerb to stop me filtering down the side of traffic queuing to get out on Main Street, then kept stopping for no reason (usually just as I'd got my feet on the pedals...:dry:). She kept this foolery up until reaching the T-junction where, despite being positioned virtually touching the nearside kerb, she turned right without indicating :rolleyes:
Anyway, left along Main Street and then on to Clifford, climbing through the village and then plunging down into Bramham where I could tell what time it was without looking at my watch: hordes of pensioners at the bus stops looking up the road expectantly? Must be 09:30 and time for the free passes to kick in :laugh:
Time for the climb out of the village and back over the A1(M) and carry on climbing up Thorner Road, then onto Thorner Lane, through the dip and on back to Milner Lane where I retraced my earlier route back into Thorner - but now into a stiff breeze.
Through the village and onto Carr Lane for the climb out into the countryside and eventually up to the A58, where a couple of hundred yards into the wind saw me climbing up Coal Road, across the roundabout and on, before turning down onto local roads to home.

26.26 miles (42.26km) in 2hrs 3m at an average of 12.8mph with 1,443ft climbed and a balmy average temperature of 6.3°C

Enjoyed that and it's another cheeky quarter century towards the years total. Good to get a ride in as with a combination of things over the next few days it looks like being my last chance for a week or so :sad:
I was expecting it to be "interesting" being out a rush hour mid-week but, apart from the motorist mentioned above, I really can't fault todays drivers. Several times people held back for a good while until safe to pass and I didn't really get a close pass at all today :okay:

And to end, the map:
06122017.JPG

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Day off work today, decided to ride up to Newark to bag some more veloviewer squares and also go to Syston Farm cafe just north of Grantham to get stuff for our lass for her Christmas stocking.

Set off at 7am, slow pace as I decided to get north of Leicester by using the cycle paths and parks. Around 17 miles the bike started making some funny noises, I know one of the spokes on the rear wheel is loose so I thought it was that, but I carried on anyway.

Around 30 mile mark I stopped for a comfort break and noticed the rear mudguard stays had snapped on both sides, the choice was to push on or turn back and face 30 miles of headwind, I pushed on.

Got to Croxton Kerrial, blimey that was hilly, and went in every direction and back to bag squares, then it was to Barrowby for another pig of a climb before going through Grantham and to the cafe. Latte and a bacon sandwich quickly consumed and then it was time to head into the wind and get across to Newark for the train home. (No I didn't forget the stuff for our lass :okay:)

I pulled up to the station and the train is waiting for me. Spoke to the conductor who said it was okay for me to pay on the train as he wanted the train to go, so straight and and back to Leicester.

Just shy of 84 miles bagged and a couple of stocking fillers for our lass.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1304452394

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After missing a couple of good days for riding I got out this afternoon as the hills were calling to me. I was headed for the Long Mynd and took a fairly direct route over Lyth Hill then to Longnor and Church Stretton, then Little Stretton, Minton and Hamperley before starting my ascent past Prior's Holt and up Nutbatch.

It's quite breezy out so the ride out was slow as I was riding directly into a southerly wind. There were a few other cyclists out but other than that an uneventful first leg. The climbing started after Little Stretton and the roads became quite muddy (so much for cleaning the bike :rolleyes:). The climb to Minton seemed easier than last time I did it (quite a steep little one this) then after Hamperley the real climbing began which was a case of slowly winching my way up the muddy forest roads.

Popping out onto the Portway (the bridleway section) the wind was cold as expected but not too strong. I think that this may have been because so much of it was getting directed upwards by the ridge. The Portway wasn't as boggy as some winter rides I've done up here and the only obstacle on the way to the gliding club was three collies who thought I was going to stop and play with them.

Back on tarmac again I was still climbing but with the wind behind me now I could affort to take it easy. I became aware of another bike coming up behind me and the rider greeted me with "Have you brought your sandwiches in there?" He was on an electric bike and had just come up Asterton Bank on it - alright for some.;) We rode together and chatted as far as Pole Bank where he carried on and I paused to grab a couple of snaps.

Here, away from the ridge, the wind was more noticable so I didn't stop long and when I got going again was helped along at some quite good speeds (20-25 mph) across the rest of the plateau and had the place entirely to myself.

I descended via High Park To Leebotwood (hit 30.9 mph somewhere along here) and with the wind behind me had a nice fast run home as the light faded.

A fraction under 36 miles for the trip at 11.6 mph average.

DSC0005518.jpg

Taking in a view of Caer Caradoc on the way to All Stretton.

DSC0005521.jpg

Church Stretton

DSC0005527.jpg

Climbing up through the Forestry Commission plantation.

DSC0005531.jpg

The view from the top of the climb. Looking towards Bishop's Castle and into Wales.

DSC0005532.jpg

Following the Portway along the ridge. (Ignore what Google maps claims - The Portway does not go to Asterton)

DSC0005533.jpg

The premises of the gliding club. No activity today.

DSC0005534.jpg

At the summit toposcope.

DSC0005537.jpg

About to start my descent to High Park as the wind really picks up.

gavgav

Guru
After missing a couple of good days for riding I got out this afternoon as the hills were calling to me. I was headed for the Long Mynd and took a fairly direct route over Lyth Hill then to Longnor and Church Stretton, then Little Stretton, Minton and Hamperley before starting my ascent past Prior's Holt and up Nutbatch.

It's quite breezy out so the ride out was slow as I was riding directly into a southerly wind. There were a few other cyclists out but other than that an uneventful first leg. The climbing started after Little Stretton and the roads became quite muddy (so much for cleaning the bike :rolleyes:). The climb to Minton seemed easier than last time I did it (quite a steep little one this) then after Hamperley the real climbing began which was a case of slowly winching my way up the muddy forest roads.

Popping out onto the Portway (the bridleway section) the wind was cold as expected but not too strong. I think that this may have been because so much of it was getting directed upwards by the ridge. The Portway wasn't as boggy as some winter rides I've done up here and the only obstacle on the way to the gliding club was three collies who thought I was going to stop and play with them.

Back on tarmac again I was still climbing but with the wind behind me now I could affort to take it easy. I became aware of another bike coming up behind me and the rider greeted me with "Have you brought your sandwiches in there?" He was on an electric bike and had just come up Asterton Bank on it - alright for some.;) We rode together and chatted as far as Pole Bank where he carried on and I paused to grab a couple of snaps.

Here, away from the ridge, the wind was more noticable so I didn't stop long and when I got going again was helped along at some quite good speeds (20-25 mph) across the rest of the plateau and had the place entirely to myself.

I descended via High Park To Leebotwood (hit 30.9 mph somewhere along here) and with the wind behind me had a nice fast run home as the light faded.

A fraction under 36 miles for the trip at 11.6 mph average.

View attachment 386173
Taking in a view of Caer Caradoc on the way to All Stretton.

View attachment 386174
Church Stretton

View attachment 386175
Climbing up through the Forestry Commission plantation.

View attachment 386177
The view from the top of the climb. Looking towards Bishop's Castle and into Wales.

View attachment 386178
Following the Portway along the ridge. (Ignore what Google maps claims - The Portway does not go to Asterton)

View attachment 386179
The premises of the gliding club. No activity today.

View attachment 386180
At the summit toposcope.

View attachment 386181
About to start my descent to High Park as the wind really picks up.
I’d like to try that route sometime next year with you :okay:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Considering ive struggled for motivation this last couple months...another quick outing on the hybrid tonight, just sub 10 miles but enjoyable all the same despite a very blowy breeze and frequent very light dusty snowflakes.
First time I've used a head torch...i like it , got it free, usually around £35 to £50 apparently.
3 rides this week so far :laugh:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I was a bit tired as I rode over to the meet in Upton. I was hoping to ride myself in. Jules H was there and Pete M wasn't far behind. Keith W pottered over for a chat. He's getting back in the saddle after some medical issues. Good news. We three took the standard run out around Hill End and on for Camer's Green. Jules was surprised when we continued South for Redmarley. It's one of my routine bits of lane but not one we do with an Upton start. For a change we went by Durbridge before continuing to The Scarr and on through a very empty ford to Gorsley. Fortunately brain nav got us through the puzzling triangle so we climbed to Aston Crews as planned. Pete was asking about cups of coffee as we now dropped to Lea to round some lumps and then ride along Hope Mansell to approach Ross from the south.

Our chosen cafe gave us a good welcome and refreshments were both excellent and offered at a lovely budget price. We said our goodbyes to a chorus of "come again" and headed out to an incredibly busy A40. Fortunately we didn't need to put up with this race track for long and we were soon safely back in the lanes for Upton Bishop. This is a well worn route for me and with the wind being behind us at last we made good progress to Dymock. Everyone was now familiar with the last run in around the southern end of the Hills and through the Castlemorton lanes. The sun was beginning to dip to the ridge so we parted with a little urgency as neither Jules nor Pete had lights. I took my standard run back putting my lights on over the last 3 miles. All good today. I did ride myself in although cafe legs were a struggle on the way out of Ross. We'll be back. 65 smiles

pjd57

Veteran
First time out in a while with Free Wheel North from Maryhill .
Nice leisurely run along the canal to Kirkintilloch .More about the chat than the cycle.
Bit wet on the way home.
temporary_file1870965793.jpg

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Managed to get a December ride in for the 50km challenge, today.

I've still got some slight after-effects of a cold and took it quite slow - the headwind helped with this. :whistle:

If I had Starva, I'm sure my route would resemble something a two-year-old might scribble on a page - I decided to keep close to home and went up and down various roads on the outskirts of Ipswich.

My firend Jay and I stopped for a food bar at the duck pond in Rushmere St Andrew and enjoyed the sun.

8.12.17 Rushmere St Andrew.JPG

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Light dusting of snow on the hills and temps just above freezing this morning. I layered up after lunch anyway and headed out. I took to the ancient Longdon training loop. It only gets used now when time or weather is a constraint. I had bright sun most of the time. Plenty of lovely little robins out and about and a flash of red drew my attention to a greater spotted woodpecker. As I began my return ride north a dark band of snow cloud lay ahead. I gradually rode into it. Fortunately it was the tail end which I got. So just a slight flurry of white stuff and then the band of cloud left an orange sun setting over the hills. I certainly outflanked today's weather! 26 smiles.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As I've mentioned elsewhere, it's been a bit snowy here today. I decided late in the afternoon to go and have a play in it and swapped the wheels for the ones with Marathon Winters on.

My initial plan of heading into town was abandoned when I found that these tyres really can't cope with rutted snow so I did a slow loop round the village and up Lyth Hill and back.

While up on the hill I could see the next lot of heavy snow rolling in from the north so slithered my way back in near blizzard conditions as the light faded.

Four and a half miles at 7.5 mph average with quite a few sudden dismounts to avoid a fall as the bike tried to take me off in directions I hadn't intended to go.

DSC0005554.jpg

Still snowing as I prepare to set off.

DSC0005556.jpg

From Lyth Hill. In this direction you'd usually see the Wrekin.

DSC0005557.jpg

Dark clouds as the next lot of snow rolls in.

DSC0005558.jpg

Top Bottom