Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Got my final qualifying ride for the 2017 Imperial Century Challenge in today.

Based on the expected wind direction, heading for a loop round the north of the county seemed like the best option (and is also flatter than what I had in mind originally) so I was up and ready early, and on the road with the knockabout bike just before 7am heading to Condover, Exfords Green, Pontesbury, Westbury, Melverley and Oswestry.

Obviously at this time of year lights were wanted at the start. The roads were quiet and I got on fairly well despite riding against the wind at the start (checking later on, the wind speed was less than the forecast had suggested - no complaints from me about that:okay:) I was little surprised about how many other cyclists I met on the way. Nice to see them out at this time of year.

On the way to Oswestry it had stuck me that the wind direction was also different to the forecast (westerly rather than northerly). This helped as I was turning east through Gobowen so had it helping for a while. The section from Gobowen through Ellesmere to Welshampton was incredibly muddy and the bike is plastered with it and so was I up to the knees. Goodness knows what it would have been like if I didn't have mudguards.:blink: I had a bit of moment at one of the junctions when the driver who had stopped to give way interpreted me sticking my arm out to indicate my right turn as permission to go first :wacko:. It was close but we missed each other.

At Welshampton I noticed the wind had shifted again nearer to the forecast direction. Good timing as it helped me along to Northwood but was a slightly annoying crosswind from there until Ightfield. I got held up at the level crossing again at Prees but only about 3 minutes wait this time.

From Ightfield I headed through Claverhall, Longslow, Longford and into Market Drayton. I had the wind helping again for a long stretch which made for some very pleasant and quick cruising speeds. I was however starting to feel the legs a bit by now, having passed the metric century, and found the hills round Market Drayton a little bit of an effort.

A lunch break was taken on the edge of the field of elephant grass at the hamlet of Sutton. Another cyclist stopped to check if I was alright which was good.

Onwards again and the wind was still mostly helping, although not in the ideal direction for me now. I started to feel cold after Stoke-on-Tern so a stop was needed for an extra fleece. I also found myself wanting more regular stops to drink.

I carried on through Eaton-upon-Tern, Ellerdine, High Ercall, Roden, Rodington Heath and Walcot. On Bluebell Lane I found myself completely running out of energy but lunch wasn't sitting well so I really didn't want to eat. However I did force down some crisps and a cake and it did help perk me up for the next bit through Eaton Constantine to Cressage where the legs started to protest and I was incredibly slow to Cound Moor and Acton Burnell.

I was riding against the wind again now but fortunately it died down so I really only had to struggle with the hills on the way to Condover. The last bit was alright apart from a twit who thought that overtaking me up to the give way line at the A49 junction was a good idea. He backed off when I glared at him. Must be something about the look of a rider who has done well over 100 miles already and wants to get home.:laugh:

107.12 miles at 12.9mph average (better than I thought it would be). 9 hours 50 minutes with all the stops included and challenge completed for the year.:wahhey:

View attachment 385907
At Pontesbury early on. A few Christmas lights on despite the early hour.

View attachment 385908
Good news at Maesbury. It's possible some might remember a previous photo of the old school all boarded up and derelict. When last here my heart sank as I saw it had been sold and assumed it was going to be pulled down for yet another housing development, but no. It's been refurbished and is going to reopen as a nursery. Great to see an old building getting resued.:okay:

View attachment 385909
Oswestry town centre.

View attachment 385910
Jumping on a bit, the Llangollen Canal at Hampton Bank.

View attachment 385911
More interesting local names at Whixall.

View attachment 385912
Prees.

View attachment 385913
Market Drayton

View attachment 385914
In the elephant grass at Sutton. As you see the bike has picked up a bit of mud. It looks cleaner in the photo than in real life.:eek:

View attachment 385915
Onto home ground now with a view of The Wrekin.

View attachment 385916
Less than 10 miles from home now and looking across the new playing fields to Concord College at Acton Burnell.
:notworthy:

D

Deleted member 1258

Unfortunately my Monday ride to the Skylark Farm at Staverton turned into a bit of an adventure.I rode through Flecknoe and the lane leading onto the main road, the A425, was covered in mud and rubbish left by the local farmer, not surprisingly I picked up a puncture, I did the mile or so to the Skylark farm slowly on the flat tyre. Once I'd had my toast and coffee I set to and got stuck into sorting the puncture, the culprit was obvious, a very impressive inch long thorn had defeated my rear durano, I was disappointed to find that the spare I was carrying had a short valve but I managed to get enough valve showing to get it inflated. The problems started when I'd finished and was screwing the valve shut, the pin sheared off in my hand, for a moment I stood there with visions of me having to patch the tyre I'd just taken out, but then I realized the tube was staying up, so I quickly put the valve cap on, packed my stuff away and headed home. I picked a shorter route than planned and was relieved when the tube stayed up all the way home, though I was checking it regularly. so 51 miles covered but not the ride I'd planned.

Unfortunately my Monday ride to the Skylark Farm at Staverton turned into a bit of an adventure.I rode through Flecknoe and the lane leading onto the main road, the A425, was covered in mud and rubbish left by the local farmer, not surprisingly I picked up a puncture, I did the mile or so to the Skylark farm slowly on the flat tyre. Once I'd had my toast and coffee I set to and got stuck into sorting the puncture, the culprit was obvious, a very impressive inch long thorn had defeated my rear durano, I was disappointed to find that the spare I was carrying had a short valve but I managed to get enough valve showing to get it inflated. The problems started when I'd finished and was screwing the valve shut, the pin sheared off in my hand, for a moment I stood there with visions of me having to patch the tyre I'd just taken out, but then I realized the tube was staying up, so I quickly put the valve cap on, packed my stuff away and headed home. I picked a shorter route than planned and was relieved when the tube stayed up all the way home, though I was checking it regularly. so 51 miles covered but not the ride I'd planned.
Remember you can unscrew the valve core from one tube and replace into the other

D

Deleted member 1258

Remember you can unscrew the valve core from one tube and replace into the other

I believe you can do so easily on the Schrader valves, but you cant always get the presta valves apart to swap them, and I wasn't carrying anything I could use to swap the cores.

D

Deleted member 1258

Old tube with knackered valve on the left, new tube with good valve on the right.

20171204_212945.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

johnnyb47

Guru
It was another evening ride for me tonight. The weather was really mild and dry for a change and I was feeling a little stale sat in front of tv. So out came the mtb this evening for a few gentle miles down the lanes.
Wow that moon was bright tonight. If it wasn't for fact of it being dangerous ,I would of been quite happy cycling with my lights off ,and taking in the amazing views in the natural light.About 10 miles into my ride I could see the flashing lights of another cyclist in the far distance. As always the childish competitive side of me kicked in and started to slowly reel him in. After a few mile I eventually caught up ,and as I went past I said "how do"
The guy almost jumped into to hedge with shock as I must of startled him." Blood hell you almost gave me a heart attack "he joked as I went past. We chatted for a few minutes and I suddenly realized that his voice sounded very familiar. With it being dark and that he was wearing a helmet light I could not see his face but his voice was instantly recognisable. It turned out to be a work colleague.
We often talk at work about our cycling adventures, but we never actually see each other out on the road. So tonight it was nice to of crossed paths with each other and cycle for a few miles before parting our separate ways into the darkness :-) :-)
It sure beats ,being stuck in front of the tv :-)

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Oh the pain. I discovered last week that I'm getting old. Admittedly, I carried a stupid amount of weight a stupidly long way but, I have suffered for it since. Aching shoulders, back and legs almost like a virus. A headache that lasted into Saturday and a general feeling of malaise ever since.
I had decided to go on a ride earlier but as the time grew close, the aching got worse. I downgraded the ride to a walk but, at the last moment, decided on a shorter ride.

A shortened version of my usual ride allowed me to look at the Brewood Christmas lights and take in a good chunk of countryside. I kept it slow and am now recovering with a whisky and Stones ginger.

gavgav

Guru
The sort of day at work that makes you want to throw the towel in and just walk out. Always means I try and head out for a ride to uncoil the spring and so I took advantage of a gap between the Arctic blasts (Armageddon coming if you believe the Daily Distress :headshake:) despite it being a bit drizzly but calm winds at least.

Headed through Bayston Hill and up Lyth Hill, using the track that’s still relatively dry considering the time of year, before descending to Exfords Green. Here I witnessed one of the most lunatic pieces of driving I have ever seen whilst out on the bike. There is a small section of the country road that “widens” to 2 lanes (it’s not really that wide). I am aware of car lights coming up behind me and some approaching.....so idiot behind decides to overtake me (giving me loads of room) straight into the path of car coming the other way. I slammed my brakes on and just waited for the sound of crashing cars, but somehow the chap coming the other way took evasive action, mounted the grass verge and they missed each other . I still don’t know how they did :thumbsdown::stop:

Shaking my head for the next few miles, I continued on to Dad’s and had a chat to him for half an hour, before heading home via Ryton, Condover and Betton Abbots. Very busy on the lanes with traffic tonight, but still feel less wound up than when I left work, despite idiot!

15.3 miles at 11.9mph avg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Usually on a Tuesday I play guitar with my mate Mick, but he's in Northern Ireland so I had a rare free night.
Mountain bike out, and down to the end of the village. I took the bridleway down to Long Road, the path like squidgy fudge. I took it very easy down the unlit, rough track, it was still interesting though!
Over Long Road and in to the woods and fields to Coton and on into Cambridge.
IMG_5360.JPG

IMG_5361.JPG

It's like Fairyland!!!

A spin along the river, a few swans invading the path , then back through town before taking the less slippery route up Madingley Hill.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1303489369

16 warm miles.

Attachments

• IMG_5362.JPG
    IMG_5362.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 46

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Evanscycles had my order in so i used it as an excuse and went out on the bike to pick it up. Had a little 5hr bimble and notched up 20 miles zooming around school rush traffic and later on rush hour traffic when i decided to come home around 7-8ish. Visited a few friends who were at work for a little chat here and there before heading home.

I had a guy in an expensive white merc almost run me down as i was pulling out while I heading out of north london. He was a fair distance away when i rolled out but rather then slow down and give way, he honked at me and drove at me at the same speed. If he did hit me though, he would of impacted my rear wheel and knocked the bike out from underneath me. Impatient twat.

While on the way home i saw a black merc pull out in front of a deliveroo cyclist. The cyclist obviously went over the bonnet. Cyclist seemed to be doing OK though. He was on his feet and taking pictures of number plates and stuff...

I was absolutely starving by the time I got home.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
My "trusty" old bike. (Didn't feel sensible doing a 100km this soon on a new one I wasn't used to). You weren't the only one making the wrong decisions yesterday!

That explains it then . Your old bike clearly feels cheated even abandoned by your bringing a shiny new model into the relationship.

Inevitable she would commit some act of spitefullnes .

Top Bottom