Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
What was originally planned as getting mine and @13 rider December imperial done nice and early turned into rather pleasant forum ride as @Lilliburlero and @tallliman both joined us.

Out of the door at 06:50 to get to @13 rider house for 07:30. Thankfully no ice and it wasn't too cold, mind you I had enough clothing on for a family of Eskimos.

Riding up the hill to @13 rider house and he is waiting outside, which was good as I knew the number but not the actually house and with it being still dark what few numbers were on show I couldn't see them anyway.

Head straight to Market Bosworth for the 08:15 meet with the other two. As we pull in bang on 08:15 @Lilliburlero is also pulling in. 10 minutes later @tallliman turns up on his new Raleigh, okay it is a Racelight but I read it as Raleigh :laugh:

Plan was to ride to the cafe at Astley Book farm which would be around 45 miles for me and 40ish for the others. Missed one turn which was actually a bloody footpath through a field. After some discussion we dog legged around it (still got the square for Veloviewer explorer square!)

Got to the cafe just after 10. @Lilliburlero had an enormous hot chocolate which was smothered in marshmellows - looked blooming gorgeous.
Bacon and/or sausage sandwiches all round, It is a great cafe so if you are Bedworth way (near Nuneaton) I would highly recommend it.

After that it was onto familiar roads for me as we headed east towards Lutterworth and then North to Great Glen were we stopped at a Co-op for some refreshements, after which we headed to Queniborough were @Lilliburlero headed one way to trek all the way to Overseal and home and the remaining trio to Nice Pie cafe. At this point I had done 105 miles and @13 rider 97 and @tallliman 98.

After this it was a quick ride down to Barrow in the drizzle and rapidly darkening end of the day. Parted ways with @tallliman at Barrow and eventually parted ways with @13 rider at Mountsorrel.

Heading into Leicester I hit the fans leaving the footie ground and so had to divert my route which added a couple more miles.

By the time I arrived home the GPS ticked over to 129 miles. @Lilliburlero finished on 114 miles. @13 rider just over 113 miles and @tallliman just under 113 miles.

My fourth Imperial challenge completed. @13 rider completed his first :notworthy: @tallliman and @Lilliburlero completed their metric 100 challenge.

As usual a thoroughly enjoyable ride, made better by the fantastic company, cheers fellas.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1299317993

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
What was originally planned as getting mine and @13 rider December imperial done nice and early turned into rather pleasant forum ride as @Lilliburlero and @tallliman both joined us.

Out of the door at 06:50 to get to @13 rider house for 07:30. Thankfully no ice and it wasn't too cold, mind you I had enough clothing on for a family of Eskimos.

Riding up the hill to @13 rider house and he is waiting outside, which was good as I knew the number but not the actually house and with it being still dark what few numbers were on show I couldn't see them anyway.

Head straight to Market Bosworth for the 08:15 meet with the other two. As we pull in bang on 08:15 @Lilliburlero is also pulling in. 10 minutes later @tallliman turns up on his new Raleigh, okay it is a Racelight but I read it as Raleigh :laugh:

Plan was to ride to the cafe at Astley Book farm which would be around 45 miles for me and 40ish for the others. Missed one turn which was actually a bloody footpath through a field. After some discussion we dog legged around it (still got the square for Veloviewer explorer square!)

Got to the cafe just after 10. @Lilliburlero had an enormous hot chocolate which was smothered in marshmellows - looked blooming gorgeous.
Bacon and/or sausage sandwiches all round, It is a great cafe so if you are Bedworth way (near Nuneaton) I would highly recommend it.

After that it was onto familiar roads for me as we headed east towards Lutterworth and then North to Great Glen were we stopped at a Co-op for some refreshements, after which we headed to Queniborough were @Lilliburlero headed one way to trek all the way to Overseal and home and the remaining trio to Nice Pie cafe. At this point I had done 105 miles and @13 rider 97 and @tallliman 98.

After this it was a quick ride down to Barrow in the drizzle and rapidly darkening end of the day. Parted ways with @tallliman at Barrow and eventually parted ways with @13 rider at Mountsorrel.

Heading into Leicester I hit the fans leaving the footie ground and so had to divert my route which added a couple more miles.

By the time I arrived home the GPS ticked over to 129 miles. @Lilliburlero finished on 114 miles. @13 rider just over 113 miles and @tallliman just under 113 miles.

My fourth Imperial challenge completed. @13 rider completed his first :notworthy: @tallliman completed the metric 100 challenge. (Apologies to @Lilliburlero as I don't know whether he does the challenges or not)

As usual a thoroughly enjoyable ride, made better by the fantastic company, cheers fellas.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1299317993
@Lilliburlero got his metric century challenge done all in all a great ride in great company

13 rider

Guru
Great write up @Supersuperleeds :becool:

The climbing around Bradgate was bloody hard work, I can tell ya... I was blowing and needed something sweet to eat... all I could think of was that Bounty you offered me :laugh:.

Big thanks for the invite lads, awesome ride in awesome company :notworthy:
You went up Warren hill around the back of Bradgate even I avoid that one . If you had gone straight on there 2 left after that would have got you to Copt Oak with less climbing

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Snatched victory from the jaws of defeat today, in managing to complete my third successive Metric Century a Month Challenge despite a mechanical.

To say the day didn't start well would be an understatement. I was running a bit late (due to my cat ralphing up all over the living room carpet), and somehow managed to leave the house without my audax route sheet for the first time ever. I didn't discover this until it was too late. After @Banjo had to drop out the other day due to illness, we were to be a 3 man peloton today ... @jembullo, Rich W from my cycling club and me. I made it to the start just in time, only to find it was cold, wet and raining. Jem had a problem with his Garmin, which was worrying as I would have to follow him today, in the absence of my "flatnav" , but we were soon on our way again, looking forward to the "Once More Unto Agincourt" audax from Tewkesbury to Monmouth and back. That didn't last long. No sooner had we turned left over the Mythe Bridge than I lost the use of my front derailleur. :banghead:The 3 of us pulled over in a muddy gateway and all had a go at it. The best bodge job we could manage was to get it so it would change up through the gears, but not back down again. Reckon the spring had stopped working.

After wasting 15 minutes or more, I baled on my mates so they could get the 68 mile ride done in daylight. I would have loved to do that one, as it used a cycle path from Symonds Yat to Monmouth that I never knew even existed. But with only the use of the middle chain ring, I knew I would only hold them up, so we said our goodbyes and I turned around to trudge back to Tewkesbury in defeat.

Then my stubborn streak kicked in, and I thought "sod that!" I hadn't kept a run of 35 successive months with a metric ton going, only to chuck it all away with my tail between my legs. So I turned left instead, and headed off into the flatlands of Worcestershire, planning originally to stay within 10 or 15 miles of Tewkesbury as I didn't have a map and in case of breakdown. Ended up doing a circuitous route, zig-zagging and loop-the-looping around Worcestershire, sometimes on quiet little lanes and sometimes on A roads. Several places were visited twice, and it was too convoluted a route to list. Suffice to say it took in Tewkesbury, Upton on Severn, Malvern Wells, Great Malvern, Powick (on the outskirts of Worcester) and Pershore. All the while I was making mental calculations of distances, which I judged to perfection, finishing back in Tewkesbury on 62.25 miles (100.2km).:bicycle:

Nearly all of that was done in the middle chain ring. The only real climb was from near Malvern Wells to Great Malvern, and I wouldn't have needed the granny ring for that anyway. The rest of the time I was spinning madly in middle gear, trying to get above 13 or 14 mph. Occasionally I changed up into the big ring, but not too often, as every time I hit a slope I had to then dismount and push in the derailleur manually while turning the pedal and lifting the rear wheel off the ground ... rather awkward.

Finished in 6 hours 10 mins (including the faffing about at the beginning), at 15:10, so never needed my front light on solid beam. Rich and Jem finished their ride about 40 minutes later, and seem to have enjoyed it. I am more than a little jealous, but relieved not to have to try to find an alternative date to get my challenge ride completed. All over for another year now. Thanks again for the help, Jem and Rich. Get well soon, Banjo.

Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Snatched victory from the jaws of defeat today, in managing to complete my third successive Metric Century a Month Challenge despite a mechanical.

To say the day didn't start well would be an understatement. I was running a bit late (due to my cat ralphing up all over the living room carpet), and somehow managed to leave the house without my audax route sheet for the first time ever. I didn't discover this until it was too late. After @Banjo had to drop out the other day due to illness, we were to be a 3 man peloton today ... @jembullo, Rich W from my cycling club and me. I made it to the start just in time, only to find it was cold, wet and raining. Jem had a problem with his Garmin, which was worrying as I would have to follow him today, in the absence of my "flatnav" , but we were soon on our way again, looking forward to the "Once More Unto Agincourt" audax from Tewkesbury to Monmouth and back. That didn't last long. No sooner had we turned left over the Mythe Bridge than I lost the use of my front derailleur. :banghead:The 3 of us pulled over in a muddy gateway and all had a go at it. The best bodge job we could manage was to get it so it would change up through the gears, but not back down again. Reckon the spring had stopped working.

After wasting 15 minutes or more, I baled on my mates so they could get the 68 mile ride done in daylight. I would have loved to do that one, as it used a cycle path from Symonds Yat to Monmouth that I never knew even existed. But with only the use of the middle chain ring, I knew I would only hold them up, so we said our goodbyes and I turned around to trudge back to Tewkesbury in defeat.

Then my stubborn streak kicked in, and I thought "sod that!" I hadn't kept a run of 35 successive months with metric ton going, only to chuck it all away with my tail between my legs. So I turned left instead, and headed off into the flatlands of Worcestershire, planning originally to stay within 10 or 15 miles of Tewkesbury as I didn't have a map and in case of breakdown. Ended up doing a circuitous route, zig-zagging and loop-the-looping around Worcestershire, sometimes on quiet little lanes and sometimes on A roads. Several places were visited twice, and it was too convoluted a route to list. Suffice to say it took in Tewkesbury, Upton on Severn, Malvern Wells, Great Malvern, Powick (on the outskirts of Worcester) and Pershore. All the while I was making mental calculations of distances, which I judged to perfection, finishing back in Tewkesbury on 62.25 miles (100.2km).:bicycle:

Nearly all of that was done in the middle chain ring. The only real climb was from near Malvern Wells to Great Malvern, and I wouldn't have needed the granny ring for that anyway. The rest of the time I was spinning madly in middle gear, trying to get above 13 or 14 mph. Occasionally I changed up into the big ring, but not too often, as every time I hit a slope I had to then dismount and push in the derailleur manually while turning the pedal and lifting the rear wheel off the ground ... rather awkward.

Finished in 6 hours 10 mins (including the faffing about at the beginning), at 15:10, so never needed my front light on solid beam. Rich and Jem finished their ride about 40 minutes later, and seem to have enjoyed it. I am more than a little jealous, but relieved not to have to try to find an alternative date to get my challenge ride completed. All over for another year now. Thanks again for the help, Jem and Rich. Get well soon, Banjo.

Cheers, Donger.
Well done that man :notworthy: for getting it done in adversity

Buck

Guru
For various reasons I didn’t ride at all in November. If I wasn’t busy I wasn’t well and so it went :sad:

I’d been itching to get out on the bike and feeling much better I decided that today was the day to dust off the cobwebs and get out.

By the time I managed to get out it was after 3pm so I was fully wrapped up and sporting my new Planet X Illuminati Jacket Very reflective but unfortunately good at holding in the moisture against my mid-layer but only apparent when I was back home and taking the jacket off.

Anyways, the ride. I was just glad to be out and knew that it would be less than easy due to lack of miles. The ride was pretty uneventful with most drivers giving good space and courtesy.

Once out of the village, I’d done the brunt of the climbing and with warm legs I continued up the Haddingly drag and then took a left heading alongside the windmills which had a beautiful sunset as a back drop. Up past the viewing platform (I don’t remember it being that steep!) i then headed back on Broadstone Road and safely back home feeling good about the world.

A hot shower and a cup of tea as a reward, feeling glad to have got out again.

12.1 miles and 912 feet of climbing.

22299233-A0E7-4C72-8AC7-A696980A3435.jpeg

gavgav

Guru

Then my stubborn streak kicked in, and I thought "sod that!" I hadn't kept a run of 35 successive months with a metric ton going, only to chuck it all away with my tail between my legs. So I turned left instead, and headed off into the flatlands of Worcestershire, planning originally to stay within 10 or 15 miles of Tewkesbury as I didn't have a map and in case of breakdown. Ended up doing a circuitous route, zig-zagging and loop-the-looping around Worcestershire, sometimes on quiet little lanes and sometimes on A roads. Several places were visited twice, and it was too convoluted a route to list. Suffice to say it took in Tewkesbury, Upton on Severn, Malvern Wells, Great Malvern, Powick (on the outskirts of Worcester) and Pershore. All the while I was making mental calculations of distances, which I judged to perfection, finishing back in Tewkesbury on 62.25 miles (100.2km).:bicycle:

Cheers, Donger.
Now that is perseverance!! Well done on completing the challenge

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Yesterday I was one of several completing the 2017 imperial century a month challenge at various points around the country. I opted for a Worcestershire - Shropshire - Herefordshire loop, similar to rides I've done before but a few new twists:

Dec02map.jpg

Dec02elea.JPG

It was quite cold with spells of heavy rain, but hardly a breath of wind at any time - not a common combination. I set off at 7am in steady rain during a power cut. Things could only get better. It wasn't until passing Worcester that everything started to brighten up, at which point I started the most rewarding part of the ride. I really feel I must draw attention to the B4204 route from Worcester to Tenbury Wells. Normally I'd regard a road that climbs out of a river valley before dropping back into the same one as bad news, but here it really works. This road has always been quiet when I've been there. The climb away from the Teme is long and steep enough in places to provide a challenge and the plateau lasts long enough to make it feel worthwhile having climbed up there. The double-arrowed descent is exhilarating, and it's quite evident when you've passed the point at which you can relax and release the brakes. I've never tried it in the opposite direction though! Before the big descent, the road heads out onto an elevated peninsula above the valleys below, with wrap-around views deep into the Welsh mountains. Highly recommended, in case I haven't made this obvious!

Challenge completed with 113½ miles. For some reason I was very slow even by my standards, but I was always able to find enough to get up the hills. Despite what I may have be saying to myself yesterday, I probably will get out at least once more this year.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Nice one @Donger.At least you got a successful 100 km done even if not the one intended.

Glad I am not on any sort of monthly ride treadmill sorry should say challenge.:-)
I am planning to do a short 20 km or so today just to ease myself back into it and see how it goes.

When I did the audax a month rrty challenge I got food poisoning less than 30 kms to the finish of the final ride.Tried to keep going but ended up couldnt balance and kept falling off.Luckilly managed another 200 before the end of the month so completed the challenge.
Challenges like that or the cyclechat centuries definitely help to keep you motivated.

Top Bottom