Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xzenonuk

Veteran
took the mountain bike out again tonight to see how my new chunky tyres handle 2.0 size ones and my new bearings in the front wheel hub.

all is well on they fronts but my fork is about to crap out again, it's been degrading since it's last service and the rain last time did not help :tongue:

done a 14.1 miler similar route as last time but i threw in more cycle track time, managed 9.8 mph average which is more than i thought i would get with the chunkier tyres and some how beat 2 personal records on the same places i have had my road bike lol :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out again for another late afternoon ride and another finish in the dark. One of my regular routes over Lyth Hill and up to Oaks, the back way to Pulverbatch, along the edge of the Long Mynd to Wilderley, then the long descent to Dorrington and back via Ryton, Condover and Lyth Hill again.

It was quite chilly out again so I started off with three layers on top and my full finger gloves on and was glad of them. The ride went pretty well and no incidents to report really other than an issue when using the front brake that makes me think that I may have another cracked rim. It'll need investigating when it's light.

A fraction over 20 miles at 12 mph average (well, it was hilly).

DSC0005486.jpg

Up at Lyth Hill on the way out.

DSC0005490.jpg

The view from Oaks

DSC0005491.jpg

Looking towards Eastridge just after the sun had set.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
What a lovely bright sunny morning this morning. The temperature was pretty low and in places had been below freezing. Pete M was waiting at Newland as I rolled up and Jules H wasn't long after. Normally he is first but this morning he'd not been well. He assured us he'd be fine now as I adjusted his front brakes. Now he had braking at the front! It wasn't long before we took the standard run out to Bishop's Frome. As we climbed over Acton Green frosty and slippy tarmac appeared at these cooler heights. Fortunately nothing serious for us. We carried on to turn north at Panks Bridge as the plan was to take the little used (for me) and never ridden (for the others) lanes by Ullingswick to Withington. New roads created some excitement. The cafe at Radway Bridge followed soon after and the refreshments were indeed welcome.

The chat flowed well as the sun was replaced by some cloud. But the wind had dropped too. We dragged ourselves out to head for Lugwardine and onto the flanks of the Marcles at Priors Frome. Again little used (by me) and new (for the others) lanes took us to approach the Yarkhill run from a new direction. We decided the simplest route back would involve a return to Acton Green for a retrace back to our meeting spot. So we took the alternative climb from above Bishops Frome before running back along the Leigh Brook. Jules peeled off at Smith End Green while I lead Pete back to Newland and his car. It just remained for me to ride home with the sky displaying some wonderful colours as the sun began to drop below the hills. Despite the cool weather this was a lovely run out to an underused cafe on underused lanes too. Lovely pedalling for sure. 57 smiles.

iandg

Legendary Member
Got my ride in for the half century ride a month challenge today. It was freezing, just above 2C but an arctic blast from the north making it feel like -2C.
Because of the recent spell of winter weather, and the 'ice' warning from the Met Office (but there wasn't much), I rode the Cross-Check with the snow studs - noisy, heavy and sluggish - my slowest road ride of the year. Watched a squall pass over in front as I headed up the Pentland Rd, but then got caught by another (hail shower) one as I approached Breascleit. Warmed up at the Callanish Visitor Centre with bread and soup, bakewell tart and a pot of earl grey, before heading back over the main road to Achmore then into the wind on the single track over the top and down to the Pentland Road and some wind assistance back into town. Brrrrr...........

'View: https://www.strava.com/activities/1295479301/embed/ed829ab6507e1d94eb29a272b0168d7ec3f7460e
'

26952589579_5ebc0cf9d4_z.jpg

24851903938_461cc86f67_z.jpg

24851902128_6ea7794ab3_z.jpg

24851897258_9dae16c239_z.jpg

24851895678_7d24257b73_z.jpg

24851893588_e08010bc11_z.jpg

38007707904_fc6778b1c8_z.jpg

38007702734_61e8778e0b_z.jpg

Last edited:

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Chilly yesterday, so I was glad I'd put my merino wool baselayer on:cold:. I met up with a bunch of other hardy souls outside Beacon Edge Cemetery in Penrith and enjoyed a cracking ride through Eamont Bridge, Pooley Bridge, Watermillock as the sun came out and the skies cleared. However, any ride from Ullswater means a climb sooner or later and we had a steady pull uphill (with deceptive level sections...) in the November sunshine , passing between Gowbarrow Fell and Little Mell Fell. Then it was time to give it some laldy on the steepest climb (1 in 5) of the day-respect to Geoff:notworthy:! ( still loving those hills at 72) but the views of the Northern Lakes and Pennines made it all worthwhile (no pain! no pain!), not to mention the satisfaction of despatching the steepest climb of the day, and without using the granny ring. Went the distance now I'm not gonna stop!:training:
After that, we had a nice relaxing stretch through the lanes (even crossing the A66 was painless) towards Greystoke , Unthank and our lunch stop at Plumpton. I thoroughly recommend The Pot Place, even though the bike spaces were partly filled by C******** trees...ah well so it goes. The final stretch via Great Salkeld gave us more nice views and a chance to burn off a few more calories, especially on Strawberry Hill (ah found mah thrilllll...:music:). Some numpties in a red Ford decided to shout something unintelligible at us as we neared the cemetery, probably involving tax and lycra. If I were them I'd pay a bit more attention to their driving;)! Anyway another cracking day,nice to stay dry this time and bring on Sunday, hopefully without too much ice (though the Pennines are looking very white today from where I'm sat in Booths café, Penrith).

Started to head out yesterday, circa 10:30
However, once onto the back roads, some were very greasy, with patches of frost on corners

Thus, I thought 'Discretion Was The Better Part Of Valour', & cut it short

May try again this AM

The temperature wasn't really an issue, as I've lined up for fell-races on colder, windier, days
Heck, at the Stanbury Splash, back in January, I had to press myself against the walls of the Quarry we started in, as I was shivering so much, & it was the only way to stop myself!

xzenonuk

Veteran
went out for another night ride again last night as i felt my throat and nose getting dodgy, figured if im coming down with something ill at least have another ride in this week, mtb again and for some reason my average was 9.8 mph over about 14 miles again :smile:

i was planning on getting some sleep then taking out the road bike today in the day light before i turn into a vampire but woke up feeling rough so im glad i got out last night :smile:

delb0y

Legendary Member
My ride today was one of ineptitude. Inept choice of clothing. Inept navigation. Inept hill-climbing. Scarily inept descending. Inept feeding... But I enjoyed every freezing cold and soaking wet pedal stroke.

What happened, I planned to take the new Giant Hybrid out over a few local bridle-paths this morning. But last night SWMBO announced she had a patch test (something to do with eyelashes) that needed delivering to a house at the top of Cleeve Hill. Great opportunity for a ride, thinks I, and promptly announce that I will deliver it. I did think about doing the ride on the Giant, as a way of testing it out on the road side of things. But 40+ miles felt a bit ambitious, and when I got up and saw the rain, and saw how dark it was, I figured I'd take the Tricross which has lights and mudguards.

So off I set and about half a mile down the road I was regretting wearing my summer gloves (my only cycling gloves). My hands were freezing. The weatherman had said it would be mild. Hmmm. Another half a mile and my feet were soaked. It was meant to be dry. Hey ho.

I'd planned two things, route wise, one was to have a bash at Gambles Lane. There are three lanes leading up Cleeve Hill from Woodmancote. The toughest is Bushcombe, followed by Stockwell, and Gambles is the little brother. Secondly I thought I'd cut back through Cheltenham on the Honeywell Line - a cycle track through the centre of town on the route of an old railway line.

So, all is good, except for the wet cold feet and the numb hands and here comes Gambles Lane and I'm determined... and I get right to the last 30 metres and it turns into an impossible wall. As I unclipped and started to walk my bike was actually sliding down the hill. I could hardly even walk up those last 20 metres it was so steep and slippery.

Patch test delivered to a £1.25 mil house (apparently) up on the top of the hill and I took a break to eat the slice of cake that I'd put in my bag. Except it turned out that I'd forgotten to put it in. Sigh. My last long ride I bonked through lack of food. Hey ho.

But great news - I discovered some woollen gloves in my bag. Two hours too late, and the sun was now out. But at least they were dry.

Mistake. Descending Cleeve hill with wet brakes and the worst potholes in the world whilst wearing woollen gloves (little grip on the bars) was terrifying. I got down on the drops where brake leverage was better and closed my eyes...

Now to find the Honeywell Line. All I knew was its started by the Prince of Wales stadium. Bound to be a sign, I thought (for the stadium) as it's a big old thing. Alas, no. Managed to wend my way through the approximate area and there wasn't a single sign pointing to the stadium (turns out I'd only been a few roads away) so that plan went out the window.

Back home, digging the garage keys out of my pocket and I find my slice of cake in my coat pocket...

Anyway, 43 miles, max grade of 28% (it says on RWGPS), 2500 feet of climbing, and wet footprints all across the kitchen floor.

Loved it!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
The snow has gone (we think), and temperatures have risen a degree or two, so, we venture out for a ten mile spin to Whitburn.

Not exactly a beautiful day, and roads are a bit "dirty" after the snow, but, on the positive side, it is not raining:

We thought the snow had gone, but, part of our route is an off road bridleway, where the snow and ice still in evidence.

You may notice, my wife is no longer riding in front, I have been instructed to go ahead, so that, if I fall off, she will know it is icy and take extra care.

It is nice to have a purpose in life, even if it is only as a sacrificial lamb!

A rather cold, and at times slippery ride, marred a little by this impatient driver using his/her car horn because a faster cyclist overtook us, as you can see the faster cyclist showed his disapproval with suitable gestures (and a few choice words)

The quality of the video could be better. The fixing bracket on my Drift Camera broke, and, the replacement does not appear to be a snug fit, adjustment needed perhaps.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjGYRauW7lm3iRZJkueMO_fhbj7AfZ2x1

Old jon

Guru
It sort of looked and felt warm this morning, the other side of the window. I put on my optimist’s hat and decided to have a bit of a ride. On the fixed so no worries about gear changing wearing thicker gloves. Somebody on another thread posted a link to a Holdsworth frame for £90, and I have been severely tempted. I have all the bits already on the fixed, oh, of course, I have a frame too! No need of another.

It must have been warm, one of the neighbours was sat outside, having a natter to someone else, as I rode by. For a long moment I wondered if I had slept a season away. No, still winter judging by the way my ears were freezing. Right, down the main road, into Holbeck and turn right at the old library. Another right turn onto Water Lane, under the wings and onto Great Wilson Street. Turn left to cross the river over Crown Point Bridge, enjoying the lighter traffic that Saturday morning seems to have. A very young and bearded copper directed me off the bike track on Regent Street. He told me that it was a crime scene. Outside Pratts furniture shop? My imagination would not stretch that far.

Shortly afterwards, the road begins to rise to the clock at Oakwood, and continues to rise all the way to the Ring Road. Hard pedalling and I did wish for gears once or twice. Anyway, along the A 58 to Red Hall Lane, and along that to the new little roundabout at Skeltons Lane. At the end I made a decision to turn right, towards the A 64. The other direction, to Thorner and probably a longer ride, did not appeal so much. It was not that warm! So, a short stretch of A 64 to Station Road, leading to Scholes. There is an erstwhile train line that will be unlikely to be reopened, as I suspect most of Beeching’s legacy will have seen a lot of building; maybe not on the line but rather too close for use if trains start running again. Anyway. Through sleepy Scholes, up the rise to Barwick ( also in Elmet ) and for a change turn right onto Long Lane at the New Inn to travel on to Garforth.

Along to the roundabout on the A 63 and take the Wakefield Road to Swillington. After the climb, riding towards Woodlesford is a comfortable descent, but once across the river and canal is the right turn up past the station there. Steep, then levels off to John o’ Gaunts and the Leeds Road. I can almost see home from here, and of course that boosts the energy levels massively. A hot shower, food and drink, brilliant. OK I did not exactly sprint the rest of the twenty three and a bit miles, but I was pedalling a bit brisker. Home, the bike did well so it does not need a new frame. I did OK, but younger legs would do better. Settle for the ones I have.

An approximation of a circle

02122017.jpg

Very approximate

Mr Celine

Discordian
No wind for once and a balmy (compared with recent conditions) 4C. With no prospect of a tailwind home I headed east towards Kelso. This was a bit of a mistake because not only had it been wetter in that direction it must also have been much colder so there was a fair number of patches of white ice across ungritted back roads. This caused a few brown shorts moments, but the worst was on a lane with a three inch deep layer of mud on it. The other farmers seem to have been sticking to the roads, if only to scatter hawthorn clippings everywhere.
Return section of the loop started south of the Teviot, which I crossed at Roxburgh Viaduct. This fine piece of former railway infrastructure was build in 1850. It is on a curve, has 14 segmental arches with the six in the centre being skewed. Unusually for a railway (particularly the penny pinching NBR) a footbridge was constructed at river bank level.

IMG_20171202_121425.jpg

River Teviot looking downstream -

IMG_20171202_121437.jpg

The footbridge attached to the downstream side of the viaduct.

IMG_20171202_121720.jpg

The Eildon Hills are a fine local landmark. This is a good thing, when like here they aren't far away, which means not too long till I'm home and tucking into a big bowl of home made soup.

IMG_20171202_125120.jpg

41 miles at 13 mph. Got home to discover Celinette is visiting, has had a shower and used all the hot water. :angry:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Another Saturday crew ride. Steve E, Sara P and I rode to Upton to meet Margaret PR and Pete M. The call was for a longer way around to Tewkesbury. So we took to the school and on down onto the Hams. Haw Bridge took us over the Severn and rounding by Deerhurst set us up for Tewkesbury.

After coffee and scones we took the standard run back by Twyning and Strensham. I peeled off to get some garden supplies in Guarlford. Seems I'd left it too long for onion sets so I settled for shallots instead. 44 smiles

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A late start for me. I was riding with my mate Stuart who had his works Christmas do last night, but he didn't go over the top.
Off across the fields toward Caldecote, thursdays rain and snow had made our local clay soil a bit sloppy. Along Hardwick wood a tree had come down, so I managed to get ahead of Stu, so I took a pic when he caught up
IMG_5340.JPG

^^^ this was a less muddy section of this stretch.

Then we joined the byway that leads to the Red House and A1198. I made a foot fault when I slithered sideways into a rut. Toward the end it becomes a nice dry cinder track
IMG_5342.JPG

Stuart had to rearrange clothes to cool off.
Down the back of Hayley Wood pushing clouds of Fieldfare as we went. We stopped to read about Black Thursday, when a returning plane crashed into the woods in WW2
IMG_5343.JPG

We next took a bridleway over Hatley St George. On the way we met a nice lady and her even nicer 20 week old Springer called Luna, she was full of zest!

Zooming down the hill to Croydon and Arrington, then in to a quiet Wimpole. The horse refused to look up for a photo
IMG_5344.JPG

Up the hill at the back of the farm. I took the stoney track to avoid walking, then hammered it down the rough farm track in to Great Eversden.

Stuart was starting to fade, he'd done a longish run on Thursday, his first in 2 years, the 2 little hills into Kingston sapping his strength
IMG_5345.JPG

My Magic beard is giving me extra power!

Back through more mud, and then I washed Stuart's bike as I'm nice like that!

A fun 26.5 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/1299154665

Last edited:
Top Bottom