Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A time limited ride today, still cold but not quite as Baltic as yesterday. So I abandoned plans to use the hybrid and stuck with the Road Comp.

With only an hour or so, and feeling in need of a change, I set off towards Scholes up the hill, then on towards Barwick. Unfortunately some muppet from the Highways Dept has painted some horrible rumble strips right across the road on the curve from the Coronation Tree up the hill. Slippery and unsettled the bike - great idea...:dry:
Anyway at the crest of the hill the downhill starts, 2 miles of it firstly into Barwick but checked near the New Inn by temporary traffic lights. Through the village, past the maypole and down to the bridge over Cock Beck where the down ends and the up starts as I climbed Cattle Lane for lumpiness all the way to Aberford. While not as cold as yesterday, there were still frosty patches where the sun hadn't yet reached and frozen puddles at the road edge so I was taking it steady.
In Aberford I turned left along the old route of the Great North Road, passing a couple of MTB'ers coming out of Parlington Woods on NCR66 - both muddy but smiling. It was almost enough to make me wish I'd been on the hybrid...;)

Past the Almshouses and out to the B1217, battling a stronger than forecast breeze, then the climb up towards the M1 roundabout, round that (close pass, despite taking the lane...) and onto the A642 for a bit of up but then mainly down into Garforth.
I've had issues on this road before, although the last couple of rides have been OK, but today I had 6 close passes between the M1 roundabout and Tesco :dry:
One driver passed me too closely then pulled in so close to the kerb that their nearside tyres were on the inner of the double yellow lines. :wacko:

Anyhow, checked at more temporary traffic lights, then the climb over the railway bridge and down the other side, sticking to the road today as I turned right at the lights onto Barwick Road, back under the railway and down the hill before climbing over the M1 bridge (quite quiet today) and round the twists to the bridge over Cock Beck and the start of the climb up Long Lane into Barwick. Despite several changes of direction I seemed to be keeping the wind in my face, which was nice.
Into Barwick and stopped again by the temporary lights and the it's a straightforward steady climb up the hill until almost at Scholes, before the descent around the bend into the village - except this normally nice descent has been spoiled by those blooming rumble strips :dry:
Left at The Coronation Tree and along Leeds Road, before the drop down to Cock Beck (still into the wind) then local roads up to home.

14.8 miles (23.8km) in 1h 8m at an average of 13.0mph with 869ft climbed and an average temperature of 2.0°C (so twice as warm as yesterday).

Good to get out, even in the cold, but there were a lot of muppet drivers out there today (those in the report above are only the half of it) and it almost took the shine off the ride.
What was different about today? All I can think is that I normally wear dark coloured cycling tops, but today I was wearing a hi-viz orange windproof jacket in an attempt to keep warm...
I will keep plugging away at this route though as I reckon it can be done in under a hour - one day. ;)

Sorry no pics today, but here's a map to round everything off:
26112017.JPG

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A shopping trip to Windsor today, and after looking at Veloviewer I found a square which had been missed a few miles further on (curse whoever on here got me started on this Explorer squares thing:laugh:).
A very nice pedal up and across Windsor Great Park, lots of other cyclists out. Not too cold at 4 degrees, just a few frost patches around in the shade. Shopping done, and off I went along the A308 towards Maidenhead, turning left at Fifield to grab my square..
Warm enough on the way home to strip down to a long sleeve jersey and put fingerless mitts on in the sunshine, had to work a bit in the shady area's to stay warm. 25 very enjoyable miles.

iandg

Legendary Member

Old jon

Guru
Just a little cold but it has been five days since a ride, is this riding addictive? Of course it is. Gears today, and thicker gloves which provided a lesson on proper gear changing. More deliberate? More careful? There were a couple of times when the choice of sprocket on the rear wheel was vague . . .

Anyway, off to visit Holbeck, briefly, and join the canal towpath at Office Lock. This short section reduces the traffic light count by nine, I think, and the pedestrian crossings by three or four times that number. And it is quiet and peaceful. Cross the river just after leaving the towpath at Viaduct Road, cross Kirkstall Road and start pedalling up Cardigan Road. All the way to Headingley, and I was still feeling cold. The breeze had a really chilly feel to it. No problem, more uphill on the way to the Ring Road and Lawnswood, that will start the warmup process. Wishful thinking. Had I though quickly enough, the left turn to Cookridge was there to be taken, but I suppose the higher I ascended maybe the lower the temperature descended. Anyway, a little further on turn right to pass Adel church and then cross the dam and start going up again. That stretch of Arthington Road, as it becomes, is always more effort than it looks to need, and by the time I reached the crest :-

I was still cold.

It is all downhill from here for quite a distance, hmmm. Turn left onto Kings Road, down to the Bramhope roundabout and turn left. Head back home while circulation still happens. This is a route I ride so often I reckon the bike could do it better by itself. How it would provide propulsive power I know not. Very unusually, there was a queue of traffic approaching the pub at the end of Holt Lane, nowt to do with the pub, just a bit of silly parking near the junction. Past that, across the Ring Road again and down the hill to Headingley followed by a further downhill to Kirkstall and then back onto the towpath.

When I ride this way Jogger’s Paradise is usually the best description for it. I think the weather and possibly the slightly earlier time of day has kept these sensible people indoors. I need to find some sensible, if that was the case. So, an easy ride back to Office lock, onto Water Lane where it looked like a delivery of more wings was in process. Loads of steelwork, big crane, people wearing building site PPE. Yup, more wings. I wonder, ‘if it won’t fly with three lets try five’. Anyway, Great Wilson Street, Hunslet Lane, Butterly Street, I think I will stick with a corner of Hunslet, Dewsbury Road and twenty miles after leaving, home. Happy to still have sensation in the extremities, and for the ride.

Maps do not shiver

27112017.jpg

Chilly (but not as cold as I thought) commute,strong wind but a good ride in at tempo pace;actually feeling like a cyclist again:smile:.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out for a bit of a jaunt this afternoon. I was a bit later getting out than intended so didn't go too far and I knew that I'd need my lights before the end.

The route was out to Acton Burnell via Ryton and Longnor, then hang a right in the village and over the hill to Ruckley, Langley and Kenley. Past Broomcroft and round to Harnage and Cound, then Cound Stank, Cantlop, Condover and home via Lyth Hill.

I got held up near the start by roadworks on the A49 but with a downhill start, a following wind and the slipstream of the vehicles ahead of me I was able to spin up to near 30mph before turning off in the direction of Condover.

No incidents with motorists to report as they were all well behaved. The roads were all wet and/or muddy so the bike is fairly mucky. It got colder quite rapidly as the sun went down so I was glad to have an extra layer and long finger gloves to put on which did the job.

The sun set when I was at Langley, which gave a nice light that hasn't really photographed that well. I'm pretty pleased with my light setup which made it quite pleasant towards the end of the ride when it got fully dark.

27.7 miles today at 12.7 mph average.

DSC0005478.jpg

At Great Ryton with the low sun just catching The Lawley in the distance.

DSC0005479.jpg

Between Acton Burnell and Ruckley.

DSC0005481.jpg
The view from the gate in the above pic.

DSC0005483.jpg

At Langley Chapel as the sun sets.

DSC0005484.jpg

I quite liked the way the fading light caught this tree. Another one where it looked better in real life.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Due to a combination of bad weather, a bit of a chest infection, and real life getting in the way, I have been frustrated in my ambitions to get out on my new bike ever since my birthday 10 days ago. Well, today the stars were all in alignment, and I finally got to do my maiden ride on the newbie, my second Ridgeback Panorama. Just my regular 20 miler down to the bottom end of Frampton on Severn and back, but in fine sunny weather, and a pleasure to be back out there. Stopped off for a photo shoot at the riverbank at Epney (May Hill near Newent in the background):
282.JPG

before stopping for a drink and another photo at my usual turning point on Splatt Bridge over the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal in Frampton:
284.JPG

All the way there and back again I was taking every possible opportunity to jam the brakes on to wear in the discs, so it was slower than usual, and the most stoppystarty ride I've ever done. I eased off with the braking a few miles from home on the return leg and just enjoyed the ride.

Overall verdict? Brakes bedding in nicely. Saddle and pedals set up just right, though the saddle is firmer than on my other Panorama. The handlebars are set slightly lower than on my other bike, so I had been thinking I might need to flip the stem to get a comfortable riding position ... but they feel strangely good actually. The hoods are a different shape from the old bike, and don't have the gear indicators in them, but are easy to grip and to brake using the main levers when holding the tops of the hoods (as well as the additional secondary levers in the middle of the bars). I won't be doing anything rash like setting off on a 100km audax on it any time soon, but I think I may gradually extend ride lengths to see how I get on with the set-up before finally deciding whether to flip the stem. A lovely ride, that I have logged as being on my Panorama (Disc) or "Pa(D)"..... I shall call it Paddy, and we will have many an adventure together.
Cheers, Donger.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Last day of freedom/long weekend before returning to work for ten straight days. Short ride of only 1/3 of a mile to the local train station and a trip out to Newmarket simply to ride home, planned that way to have a light tail wind for most of the ride.

All was going to plan until about 13 miles in when a combination of bright sunshine and my glasses being for distance use meant that I couldn't see the screen on my Garmin properly and turned right a hunderd yards earlier than I should have done and took completely the wrong direction just outside Whepstead. By the time I'd realised the mistake a couple of miles had been covered and, being too stubborn to turn back, I just kept going until I came across road signs for vilage names I'd seen while plotting the route the previous day which were in roughly the right direction. The end result was that by the time I got back on track at Cross Green an additional 10 miles had been added. From there it was plain sailing into Stowmarket, Newmarket and Ipswich where the bl00dy Garmin decided to shut itself down so the last 10 miles weere missed off.

67 miles in beautiful, bright sunshine, not as cold or windy as expected and some of the best countryside that Suffolk has to offer. As a bonus, the extra 10 miles took my Spa Elan over 1000 miles in the five months since I got it.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1294138015
Screenshot-2017-11-28 Home from Newmarket Ride Strava.png

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Today's ride posted, rarely, today! :becool:

After chipping the ice of the windscreen when I finished w*rk at 01:45, then bed by 03:00, I was up with the lark @ 07:00 ready to fettle my road bike for the day.

Plan 'A' was 5 of us out for a road ride this morning..
Did well so far! A mate called round at 10:00, with the temperature hovering just above zero, for us to ride across town to meet t'others, me with a pack of 6 mince pies, and Bob with a carton of cream in the jacket back pockets.. This part went OK, then one chap, it turned out, had fractured a bone in his ankle doing one of those dumb Muddy Daffodil runs and couldn't ride. The ride host had a Honey Do list (or else) hanging over his head, so had to bail..
Never mind, we still met as planned and had a pre-ride chinwag and mince pie and coffee fest.

IMG_4286.JPG

After two black coffees, two mince pies and cream plus a bit of cake, and an hour later, 3/5ths of us were ready to ride.. :thumbsup:

The three of us set of on an unplanned route, vaguely based on a mates post work circuit.

IMG_4292.JPG

Damp roads. now thawed..

IMG_4297.JPG

Do keep up, chaps!

IMG_4291.JPG

Towards the end of the ride, with the sun getting low.

We split up at Quinton, with two of us aiming back to the east of the town, and Ian heading back into town.

Great day out, with all the necessary ingredients.. Friends, cake, coffee and sunshine!

Back home on 32 miles, chilly but happy.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1294072060

:smile:

Top Bottom