Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I'd have got the parish council to put the bunting out for @robjh had I have known!

Ecky thump, it was chilly this morning! For the first 5 minutes my legs could feel the effect of last nights circuit training. Down through Knapwell and Connington, the Gloucester cattle grazing in the meadow.
Over the A14 and into Fenstanton, then a quick spin to St Ives. We saw a very short tailed buzzard, then plenty of redwing and fieldfare.
I wanted to stop at Tom's Cakes in St Ives, but the outdoor seating is in the shade, so we stopped at the Riverside Tearoom. There was an overwhelming stench of human sh1t in the air so we opted for Tom's.
IMG_5271.JPG

I sat outside while Jo went and selected our cakes, my request was chocolate stodge
IMG_5275.JPG

It was too! Jo had an Eccles Cake. The earl Grey tea was spot on.
Down the busway, we went by Tim from work coming the other way, I shouted hello, but I doubt he worked out it was us.

Off the busway and into Oakington and Girton before riding through Eddington and West Cambridge.

After my near death experience on Wednesday evening the council have certainly jumped. Madingley Hill hedge flailed, path scraped back to the edging stones. Hats off to South Cambs council I say. I'm impressed.

Almost 29 miles once done

https://www.strava.com/activities/1289800362

To feed my joy of exploring new roads, today's route was planned to head to the farm shop in Denstone and then climb toward Carsington Water and Matlock.

Met @13 rider in Shepshed and the two of us headed off along my commuting route towards Derby. No @Supersuperleeds today due to spoke issues. Climbing toward Wilson, there was a little drizzle but we thought nothing of it as it soon passed.

Crossed the causeway at Swarkestone and bombed along to Willington despite the strong headwind. Swung south for a little bit to pick up some veloviewer squares. However, we were now getting sporadic sleet showers. Crossed the a50 and headed north west as the sleet was getting heavier on already drenched tarmac. 28miles in, 13 to the cafe but with no known get-out after this point.....in view of the weather and the thought it'd likely be worse the higher up we went later on, we decided to turn around and visit Suzie's tea rooms.

Suzie's isn't the most dazzling place but it's a homely atmosphere with a stunning breakfast that had @13 rider really smiling. I had my usual bacon and sausage sandwich! After an hour spent warming up and drying out, we headed back toward Lufbra.

The route back we pretty much my commuting route but livened by discussions about our next bikes!! Got home earlier than expected as a result with 100km in the bag! Lovely ride!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I've been back in north Norfolk for a few days. Today's ride was with my first true love. Caroline.

IMG_2525.JPG

Radio Caroline to be precise. Back on a 'normal' radio today after 26 years. Terrific signal -great roaring about the place with the old girl again!

Needed to pick up a few things from the shops in Wells, so a ride thought the wonderful Holkham estate it was.

IMG_2514.JPG

View from the southern entrance to the estate.

IMG_2515.JPG

Holkham Hall.

IMG_2524.JPG

After a bit, few pals turned up.

IMG_2516.JPG

On past the hall through an avenue of lime trees.

IMG_2519.JPG

Then, at the Wells end, an avenue of evergreen Holme oaks. As trips to the shops go, this one is hard to beat!

IMG_2520.JPG

Wells harbour.

After yesterday's ride including seeing 2 barn owls and 8 red kites, it's been a great few days here. I'll be pedalling my slow way home tomorrow.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
To feed my joy of exploring new roads, today's route was planned to head to the farm shop in Denstone and then climb toward Carsington Water and Matlock.

Met @13 rider in Shepshed and the two of us headed off along my commuting route towards Derby. No @Supersuperleeds today due to spoke issues. Climbing toward Wilson, there was a little drizzle but we thought nothing of it as it soon passed.

Crossed the causeway at Swarkestone and bombed along to Willington despite the strong headwind. Swung south for a little bit to pick up some veloviewer squares. However, we were now getting sporadic sleet showers. Crossed the a50 and headed north west as the sleet was getting heavier on already drenched tarmac. 28miles in, 13 to the cafe but with no known get-out after this point.....in view of the weather and the thought it'd likely be worse the higher up we went later on, we decided to turn around and visit Suzie's tea rooms.

Suzie's isn't the most dazzling place but it's a homely atmosphere with a stunning breakfast that had @13 rider really smiling. I had my usual bacon and sausage sandwich! After an hour spent warming up and drying out, we headed back toward Lufbra.

The route back we pretty much my commuting route but livened by discussions about our next bikes!! Got home earlier than expected as a result with 100km in the bag! Lovely ride!

When it tried to snow this morning I said to our lass I picked the right day to have spoke issues :laugh:

Katherine

Guru
Thawing out after a cold and mucky ride. I joined the Saturday social ride instead of going out on the Sunday club ride, to give me more time to prepare for visitors tomorrow. Started in the pouring rain which was good for washing away the ice and then the rest of the ride was mostly in bright sunshine with a bitter wind. Some lovely countryside through Lymm, High Legh and Dunham. The roads were noticeably quieter than they usually are on Sundays. We went down some lanes that I'd not been though before and I saw another wooden owl which I must remember to go back on my own to photograph. I was barely keeping up in the group so not in a position to stop for the shot today. Feeling confused about the distance because my cycle computer says 45 miles and strava says 35 miles.

13 rider

Guru
A planned ride with @tallliman and @Supersuperleeds to Matlock and train back . Last night @Supersuperleeds dropped out due to spokes issues . Up at 6.45 to a white over frost potted about getting breakfast etc and at 7.30 I wonder why it's still dark looked out the window and it's snowing :eek:. Still out the door 7.45 and it's :cold: soon warmed up by doing Sharpley hill and out to Shepshed to meeting point arrived 5 mins early so not to long to wait . Off we go discussing the day ahead out to Swarkstone bridge over the Trent and the weather turning worse and mostly headwind we get 35 miles in for me and we stop to put rain jackets on due to sleet press on a few more miles and it's not improving :surrender:. So a stop to decide what to do . Press on planned route and were commited to finishing it to get train or bail ? . Bail was decided as heading further north and higher we presumed the Weather could only get worse . Both of us peed off we had to bail but it was the correct decision we headed to a near by cafe that thankfully @tallliman knew was there Susie farm shop . I wonderful breakfast with home made sausages and thick bacon was devoured :mrpig: and my mood lifted as we slowly warmed up. After a long stop we walked out the door and felt cold again :cold: . Slightly different back to Loughborough where at Stanford on soar we parted company finally back home . 77 miles for me a tough and cold ride but still enjoyed it apart from the bit in the heavy sleet that wasn't fun . For the first 35 miles we saw 1 other leisure cyclist and 1 commute I wonder why ?. Saw a few more on the homeward leg but not as many as usual

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
What a bright and sunny day. Cold tho' so I layered up. Steve E and Sara P in the Green. Mark L caught us up near Upton where Jules H was waiting with Margaret PR (who wasn't riding this one). We took the well worn lanes south, with a dodge around Hillend for a change, to Pendock and on to Redmarley. Thence the lane by Donnington and we were running into Ledbury. Our first cafe choice was full so we headed to Mrs Muffins. Sara was on a short leash so peeled off for home.

Much coffee, soup and chat later Jules and I decided to take the Hollybush option for home while Steve and Mark headed for the shorter Wyche route. It was a glorious view from the top of the Hills and from the Common as we dropped down. Druggers End was chosen for a change before we both headed our separate ways home. What a lovely wee ride out today around and about the Hills. 45 smiles.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Up at 7 this morning to get a ride in - thick frost everywhere outside and just a sprinkling of snow too! :eek:

So it was after 9:30 when I finally left, allowing a few hours for the sun to get above the rooftops, not that it made a whole heap of difference to the temperature. Starting at the feet, todays fashion ensemble was: SealSkins Socks, shoes and overshoes, winter bib tights with windproof panels, arm warmers, compression base layer, l/s jersey, thermal l/s jersey and a windproof jacket, topped off with a buff, a skull cap and Polaris winter gloves. And I was still blinking freezing! :cold:

Anyhow, a familiar wend up Coal Road, then Skeltons Lane and onto Sandhills for the descent into Thorner, a fair bit slower than usual as there were still frosty patches anywhere the sun hadn't reached yet - still managed to top 30mph though. Up Main Street, past the church and onto Milner Lane for the climb onto the ridge, huffing and puffing my way to the top before a pleasant if chilly tootle twixt the hedges. Took it steady though as there were still frosty bits and the puddles at the roadside were still frozen.
Carried straight on at the junction towards East Rigton, having a bit of a wobble on the slippery surface under the trees, then through the dip up to Rigton Green and onto Compton Lane, with a full on wobble over an iced over lane. Hmmm....not good - all the way up the lane I could see it was white over with patches where the run off was clearly frozen, and after a couple of minor slips and slides, knowing what lay ahead (I'd already discounted taking the fork onto Bramham Lane knowing it would be iced up), I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and turned round, retracing my route back through the village and towards Milner Lane, but stopping when I spotted a frosty photo opportunity:
IMG_20171125_102140181_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171125_102121069_BURST000_COVER.jpg

As I wrestled my gloves back on :dry: a silent cyclist passed wearing shorts!!! :eek:
I was really starting to feel the cold now in my fingertips and toes, even being wrapped up as I was. As a consequence I discounted any ideas about extending the run back to Thorner by going via the dip at Bramham - not just because of the cold, but also knowing that the dip on Thorner Lane and the even bigger dip on Thorner Road outside Bramham Park are wet with run off water at this time of year and likely to be a bit icy given the conditions.

So, back onto Milner Lane, stopping briefly to sort the gloves out (I'd accidentally left a gap between glove and jacket and the exposed skin was getting a touch cold), then back between the hedges, before a much steadier than usual drop down into the village, getting waved through by a nice woman in a Bentley and receiving a very cheery hello from a horse rider.
A short squiggle along Main Street then right at the pub for the climb up Carr Lane. The first part of the climb went really well and it was nice to not be on my chinstrap at the top, but the descent round the S-bends was very steady as it's in the shade and the road is frequently wet here so I didn't want to take any risks. Then it's the climb up to the A58 which always seems harder than it looks like it should be.
The A58 was busy so I bad a bit of a breather waiting for a gap in traffic before the downhill run to Coal Road before the climb up to the roundabout.
Across that and along the straight level bit, before dropping down onto local roads to home, enlivened only by a plum of a bus driver deciding he was going to push through the traffic calming chicanes when I was already established with priority and mid way through...:dry:

13.2 miles (21.24km) in 1h 8m at an average of 11.7mph with 613ft climbed and an average temperature of just 1.0 °C

Good to get out, even if it was cold it was a lovely clear day, but ultimately too slippery under wheel on the route I'd chosen bringing the average speed right down and combining with the temperatures to bring things to a premature close. The main beneficiary though was the dog, who was more than happy to have an extended walk once I'd got sorted and changed into more suitable attire. :cold::laugh:

The forecast for tomorrow is more of the same, so it might be a rare outing for the hybrid with it's grippier 35c tyres

To end, the map:
25112017.JPG

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Yesterday's ride was a mixture of trail and road. I'm using Schwalbe Land Cruisers on my 20+ year-old MTB which cope rather well on both on- and off-road.

I headed toward Dinnington veering off on the Old Mineral Road bridleway towards Thurcroft. This is a proper path with tarmac and only saw a couple of dog walkers on the way. Left the bridleway on the start of a footpath-cum-trail and worked my way through oodles of mud. I really, really need to buy some mudguards soon :rolleyes:. The chain slipped off twice, but a quick stop fixed it nicely both times. Eventually reached the road and headed off in the direction of Hooten Levitt. Found the lane my route was to take me called Back Lane - discovered it is not a proper road at all but a track over a ploughed field. Followed the tractor tracks which were quite deep occasionally catching my pedals on the side of the ruts. Eventually reached a better path which was quite picturesque with the sunlight and shade.

View media item 10093 View media item 10094
Found my way to the end and back onto the road to pass Hooten Levitt and headed toward Maltby. Reached about 20 (ish) mph and had mud flying everywhere off the tyres. Good job I was riding alone :whistle:.

View media item 10095
Road the rest of the way, to Maltby and to Oldcotes before heading on the long stretch back to Dinnington and then home to clean the bike.

Total Distance: 33.13 km / 20.59 miles
Average Speed: 17.10 km/h
Total Time: 1 hour 56 minutes

View media item 10096

Katherine

Guru
Thawing out after a cold and mucky ride. I joined the Saturday social ride instead of going out on the Sunday club ride, to give me more time to prepare for visitors tomorrow. Started in the pouring rain which was good for washing away the ice and then the rest of the ride was mostly in bright sunshine with a bitter wind. Some lovely countryside through Lymm, High Legh and Dunham. The roads were noticeably quieter than they usually are on Sundays. We went down some lanes that I'd not been though before and I saw another wooden owl which I must remember to go back on my own to photograph. I was barely keeping up in the group so not in a position to stop for the shot today. Feeling confused about the distance because my cycle computer says 45 miles and strava says 35 miles.
Having now had a closer look at strava, it looks like I suddenly flew in a straight line from Rostherne to Red House Farm cafe in Dunham ( where today I had an amazing piece of gingerbread cake while I waited for my almost as amazing bacon barm), compared to the other people I rode with who have a more wriggly circuitous route on theirs.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
What a treat! Up just before 6, tea and porridge, then out on my mountain bike.
As ever it was down across the fields at the end of the village, still quite sticky, but not too swamp like. Through Caldecote and Kingston, then on to the Wimpole Way.
Once at Wimpole I was a bit naughty by riding a footpath that bikes aren't allowed on, through a woodland belt, but as there was nobody about...
I exited the wood to look down to Herts and Essex
IMG_5277.JPG

Then came the fast hill down to the farm. Last time I had to walk up it as it was so wet, this time I took the stony track to the right as the fast bit looked too greasy, I didn't fancy an off.

Up the main estate drive and I spied the Longhorns in a corner of the field, I went to say hello
IMG_5280.JPG

Then at the front of the house I took YET another pic of my bike and the house, it's just too photogenic
IMG_5282.JPG

I made another naughty move... riding to the left of the house, between an avenue of Lime trees, to the top of the hill. My timing was about right, I only had to wait a couple of minutes.....
IMG_5284.JPG

IMG_5286.JPG

IMG_5289.JPG

It was really beautiful to see the sun come up, one of those magical moments.
IMG_5291.JPG

Then I was mega naughty.... I cycled through the sheep and up to the folly!!!
IMG_5293.JPG

You can stay in this, for a fee.
IMG_5295.JPG

IMG_5297.JPG

Just after I took the above pic I spied a big old dog fox, he spied me, and scarpered!

More naughtiness, riding through more woodland belts. I stopped to take a pic for the photo comp, then my phone died- no battery. This has happened at Wimpole before (once home and plugged in it read 84%.Weird)

Back along the ridge and full throttle down the lumpy farm track to the Eversdens. I kept to the road all the way home as at this point my bike was cleaner than it was at the start of the ride!

18 cold, wonderful miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1290843703

Last edited:
Top Bottom