Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Day off work today so took advantage of the wind and rode to Newark. 67 miles pretty much all tailwind ^_^.

Arrived at Newark station as the train pulled in, perfect timing.

Some of the roads were absolutely filthy, bike looks like it has been dragged from a muddy field

The three miles home from the station were hard work. Averaged 16.5mph going to Newark, 12.3mph on the ride from the station :ohmy:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1285872698

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Wind was the theme today. And Grey but hopefully the forecast rain would stay away long enough. Margaret PR and Pete M had just met up as I rolled up too. There was a bit of chat before we set off into the well worn lanes for Wadborough and the ford at Pinvin. Thence we jinked to Bishampton for the climb into the Lenches. The wind was helping a bit but mostly the hedges were sheltering us. Along the old main road to Salford Priors we did notice a good helping hand but it wasn't long before we were back in the lanes for Dunnington and Hillers Garden Centre. Tables had been booked for lunch so we blagged our way into the unheated (and closed) conservatory. All good.

After much chat we headed out for what might be a battle with the wind. It was blowing but mostly from the side so hedges were superb. We did have to confront direct headwind sections once we left the lanes to head south for Pinvin. At the ford our reward was the flash of bright blue of a kingfisher as it headed downstream. We took the southerly run back which meant some more sections of headwind towards Defford and then the ramp to Strensham became enough for M. Pete and I did what we could to keep her rolling but as she said later "The wind had taken too much out". To be honest it didn't seem that bad to me as most of the time the hedges were helping at lot. Anyway we arrived in Upton as a group still. It just remained for me to ride back on my standard route. Rain was attempting to get going at this late stage but wasn't doing so well. Nice outing today - 64 smiles.

xzenonuk

Veteran
had a 13.2 miler a few hours ago, pishing with rain and pitch dark but low wind so i thought i might as well before the wind picks up as forecasts indicate.

done a loop from queensferry to the gyle and down to barnton etc was actually pleasent despite my choice of attire, high vis vest and fingerless gloves with my trackie bottoms and a t-shirt lol

decided on the mountain bike as i didn't fancy my chances on the road bike with 23mm slicks with poor visibility and soaking wet leaves on the soaking ground :smile:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We had strong winds, followed by, torrential rain, last night, but, this morning it is calm and no rain.

According to Carol, on the BBC weather, we have a "window" until lunch time, with no rain, so, a Cycle Ride is the plan.

It is rather chilly (3C) when we set off for our 20 mile circuit.

We are out early, before 9:00, and, because we live near a school, there is some "School Run" parking (half on the on the pavement, of course), to negotiate.

The reclamation of the former Boldon Colliery Coal Mine site has been well done, with woodland slowly becoming established, but, the drainage is, it would appear, not totally up to last night's downpour.

Roughly four miles in, we pass through Cleadon Village

Plenty of evidence of the overnight rainfall here, with telegraph poles on their own little islands in this field!

Whitburn Village next, usually one of our coffee and cake stops, but, we have just eaten breakfast, so, no stopping today

Entering South Shields, we pass Souter Point, and Souter Lighthouse. At this point, there is a cycle track, but, it is such a poor state of repair, we stick to the (not very busy) road.

Although we have been riding along the coast for the past two miles or so, this is our first view of the sea, on our right.

After this point, the cycle track is of a reasonable standard, and we enjoy a traffic free run into South Shields, reaching the mouth of the River Tyne at Little Haven, no-one sunbathing today, although, the temperature has improved, but, not enough to remove a layer. Mrs BL, informs me that the silk gloves (being worn as glove liners with her winter gloves) are doing their job, and, to quote her hands are "toasty".

Turning inland, along the banks of the Tyne

We pass St Paul's Church, famous(?) for it's associations with St Bede

Although we are in "darkest Jarrow" (apologies to anyone who lives there), we do have a "scenic" run toward Monkton

and finally to Boldon Colliery.

It just beginning to rain, and, it is approximately 11:00am, clearly, the BBC did not inform the weather genie "no rain until 13:00"!

My Garmin says 19.63 miles, but, Mrs BL's Runkeeper says 20.03, I think I will call it 20 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjGYRauW7lm2rlFa_Fsj8O18YmLP2RCy6

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Another day off work so I decided to revisit Astley Book Farm cafe to check if it did bacon sarnies for a potential forum ride, it does and they are blooming brilliant.

The first part of the ride was into the wind put it didn't seem as strong as yesterday.

Did a glorious climb around Mancetter quarry, was going to flag it to @13 rider as it is the sort of climb he loves, but looking on Strava he did it earlier in the month, no doubt doing the same as me and bagging an explorer square, His time up it was a tad quicker than mine :whistle:.

Cafe stop at 38 miles and then pretty much a wind assisted ride back home for 65 miles in total, bike was absolutely filthy but whisper it quietly, I gave it a quick clean once home :wacko:

Back to work tomorrow :sad:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1287113370

13 rider

Guru
Another day off work so I decided to revisit Astley Book Farm cafe to check if it did bacon sarnies for a potential forum ride, it does and they are blooming brilliant.

The first part of the ride was into the wind put it didn't seem as strong as yesterday.

Did a glorious climb around Mancetter quarry, was going to flag it to @13 rider as it is the sort of climb he loves, but looking on Strava he did it earlier in the month, no doubt doing the same as me and bagging an explorer square, His time up it was a tad quicker than mine :whistle:.

Cafe stop at 38 miles and then pretty much a wind assisted ride back home for 65 miles in total, bike was absolutely filthy but whisper it quietly, I gave it a quick clean once home :wacko:

Back to work tomorrow :sad:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1287113370
Purley Chase ? You were right I loved it beautiful climb in trees .I was only a minute quicker than you :becool:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Had a nice ride out today, lots of sunshine and a bit of wind, nice temperature for this time of year, 43 miles i had a puncture at about 16 miles in, another 10 miles and Andrew had one. back on the bikes and the rest of the ride was great, Even had an artic driver chatting to us at a set of traffic lights. Now looking forward to the weekend to bump up the milage for the week.:okay:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1287085852

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
I braved the weather on Wednesday with some fellow (fool)hardy souls from the Eden Valley CTC- we set out from darkest Dalston (as in the one near Carlisle, not the one with all the beards and man buns...) towards the Solway, riding through flood after flood on the way. Once you settled into it the conditions were actually bearable and the mizzle had a certain Turneresque atmosphere about it. Some seriously foolhardy people were actually walking their dog out on the mudflats in the Solway...I haven't heard anything about the coastguard being called out so they must have made it back ok (and it was nearly high tide!). Spotted a couple of Spoonbills amongst the big flocks of waders and Shelduck. We kept going round the Anthorn Peninsula towards the Highland Laddie at Glasson, dodging the biggest flood of the day, which was lapping at the front door of the pub. It was a very welcome pitstop before the run back to Dalston through the lanes-the puncture fairy was out following the hedgecutters though, and 2 of us were hit. At least the rain did let up (very) briefly and we made it back to base for tea and cakes...45 miles ish, not bad for a day like that. And the rain gave my bike a nice clean!

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Suffering from a cold, I abandoned thoughts of any sort of work this morning and concentrated instead on a bit of on-line Black Friday shopping for Christmas. In the middle of this, a parcel arrived ... a triple chrankset up-grade for Patsy #3 The Hybrid! So, I abandoned the internet shopping and set about fetltling the new part into place. Whilst re-adjusting the front derailleur, however, I manged to damage the clamp-thread. Contacted LBS - they had a replacement derailleur.
Out into town on Patsy #4 The Vintage Gents and surprised myself by cycling up Grove Lane Hill on the way back - something I would not have been able to do on a bike like that six years ago. (And with a cold. :whistle:)
Another hour's pleasant fettling, a quick shake-down ride up and down the road, and that's my cycling done for the day.
Soon be beer o'clock ...:cheers:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We have a "plan" to achieve 60 miles per week of cycling and/or walking.

This week, due to poor weather, we had only achieved 40 miles by this morning.

The forecast for today is cold, reasonably calm and sunny. The forecast for Friday / Saturday was not hopeful.

Despite the heavy frost, we decide on a 20 mile ride to "bag" our 60 mile target.

The plan is a circuit Boldon - Jarrow - Washington - Seaburn - Whitburn - Boldon, joining together two of our smaller loops.

But, we are defeated by the cold, despite having two pairs of gloves on (silk gloves, with Altura winter gloves on top), at nine miles, our hands are numb, so, we head for home, and achieve a piffling 11.8 miles. We had to go so cautiously, because of the slippery surfaces (broken bones at 70 are not a good idea), that we do not even achieve a reasonable average speed.

As we pass the Nissan Factory, the point where we should head toward Sunderland/Seaburn, we weaken, and head for home.

The sunshine looks beautiful, complete with autumn colours, but, even by lunch time, the temperature has only reached 3C, too cold for our old bones!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjGYRauW7lm375EBVyxFyZwgcwO6w0vwl

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I've only managed commutes and shopping trips so far this week, and the weekend isn't looking any better with decorating lined up.. My usual trip into Egham today after a night shift ended up at 6.6 miles, not bad for what is a 2.6 mile journey. Level crossing down at Egham station, so went to Pooley Green, also down, so went to Staines, also down but there is a 'rat run' around it so the long way home, not that I'm complaining.
Looks like I may get a ride to Windsor on a pressie mission according to SWMBO, so maybe a slightly longer shopping ride.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I haven't been out on the bike for a week and a half so took the opportunity today.

I started out by heading towards town and round the inner ring road towards Heathgates which was chocked full of traffic so I felt a little smug passing them all on the cycleway. Next I headed along the old canal path to Uffington (rough and muddy - undone all my good work cleaning) and onwards to Upton Magna, overtaking another cyclist on the way.

As mentioned elsewhere I've done a bit of tinkering to the knockabout bike and the drivetrain is lovely and smooth running now. I also gave the saddle a little tweak to try and make it feel a bit more like the Raleigh set-up-wise and that seems to have helped too as I was more comfortable than I've been on this bike for a long while.

From Upton Magna I cruised along quite nicely to Walcot then started on the lumpy bit of the ride with the long gentle climb along Bluebell Lane, the descent through Eaton Constantine to Cressage and, after a lunch stop, the climb out of the valley the other side.

Having ridden these roads a lot lately I decided to shake things up and took the road to Kenley. Having not ridden this particular lane for a good couple of years, I'd forgotten quite how much climbing there is. The views on the way are nice though if not spectacular.

From Kenley I took another alternative and carried on climbing to Church Preen. I picked up a hawthorn twig in the back tyre on the way and foolishly tried to pull it out on the offchance that the thorn hadn't penetrated right through. It had though so I lost 20 minutes or so fixing the puncture.

From Church Preen I headed for Chatwall and up to Yell Bank where the views went miles in the the clear air today. I now had a long descent to look forward too, down to Folly Bank then further into the valley. I got over 30 mph on this bit.^_^

I chose the more direct way home, through Longnor, Ryton and Condover, then decided to lengthen it a little by going over Lyth Hill (also means a minimal amount of time spent on the A49) and the long way round the village to finish off.

39.25 miles at 12.7 mph average. I seemed to be getting on quite well so was expecting a higher average, but I suppose it was very hilly in places.

DSC0005467.jpg

Not a good day to be in a car. There's been a serious crash on the A5 and people are trying to find alternative ways round the blockage.

DSC0005469.jpg

Drink stop on the way to Cressage with The Wrekin in the background and you can just see Eaton Constantine too.

DSC0005471.jpg

Cressage and a bit more sheltered from the cold wind so a pause for a bite to eat.

DSC0005472.jpg

I took this for the light and shade. Looked better in real life.

DSC0005473.jpg

Close to Church Preen. In the sun and out of the wind to fix my puncture.

DSC0005474.jpg

The view from Yell Bank. The highest point of the trip at over 1000' above sea level.

DSC0005477.jpg

Nearly home. The view from Lyth Hill.

gavgav

Guru
I’ve been in London for the past few days and after the horrid journey back along the M1 and M6, I simply had to jump straight on the bike and enjoy the glorious sunshine. Freezing cold, but the sort of fresh feeling air that I love being out in. It also meant I finally got my 50k challenge ride for November in.

Took the cycle paths up to Heathgates, passing gridlocked traffic that was trying to divert around the serious accident that closed the A5 bypass all day and then the old Canal path to Uffington, which was a muddy sticky mess.

Out onto the roads to Upton Magna, Withington, Isombridge and Longdon on Tern, cruising nicely with very little wind about. I turned towards Rodington and stopped to put the front light on, due to the very low sun, which obviously made all the difference as a woman in a whistling Nissan Leaf pulled out in front of me, and turned towards me on a narrow section, meaning I had to squeeze into the muddy verge :thumbsdown:. Thankfully that was the only bad bit of driving I encountered.

I continued to Roden, Poynton, Bings Heath and then the main climbing of the ride up Ebury Hill and East Haughmond Hill. Not overly steep, but long and hard work on tiring legs that haven’t done a long ride in 6 weeks.

The descent to Upton Magna is always good fun though, before the final section to Atcham, Betton Abbots and home.

31.6 miles at 12.2mph avg.

Got home to see the news of the mass panic on Oxford Street in London. 24 hours ago I walked along that street and used the Tube Station. Sometimes I really am glad I live in sleepy Shropshire, despite having had a great time down there. Glad all appears well.

robjh

Legendary Member
My ride today was the same one, with only minor variations, that I've done 9 times over the last 15 days, to visit my Dad who's been recovering from heart surgery in Papworth hospital. The good news is that he's doing well and is coming home tomorrow, but in the meantime I've enjoyed some really good rides over to see him, getting me out regularly in mid-November in a way that I wouldn't otherwise have done.
I set out generally about 1.30. Yesterday and today have been beautiful sunny afternoons, and today I had just enough wind behind me to give me a bit of a lift so that I did the 18 miles in 65 minutes. From Duxford I head north-west through Harston, Haslingfield, the Eversdens, Bourn and Caxton, before joining the busy A1198 (the original A14 many moons ago) for the last 2 miles into Papworth. It's nice country, gently undulating but with no real hills, and passes through some attractive villages.
After seeing my Dad, I head back again, but mostly along the line of the A428 towards Cambridge. The A-road now follows a new dual-carriageway, but the old road runs alongside, and with a tailwind allows good progress, and today the 8 miles back to the American Cemetery at Madingley - to all intents and purposes the start of Cambridge - flitted quickly by. It is always dark by the time I get here, and tonight was particularly cold too. A right-hand turn then takes me south through Coton and Grantchester to Trumpington, and the last few miles home. These aren't the most exciting roads to cycle, but I have enjoyed riding them in the dark, and am sure it makes me feel (falsely) that I'm going faster.
Anyway good to have the old man back, but I'll miss these winter rides.

A few pictures from yesterday and today

Radio telescopes near Haslingfield; the road near Kingston
20171123 (2)A Haslingfield radio telescopes.JPG
20171123 (4) near Kingston.JPG

Papworth Hospital; sunset today near Hardwick
20171123 (6) Papworth Hospital.JPG
20171124 Harwick sunset (2).jpg

upload_2017-11-24_23-23-19.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom