Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
These night rides seem to be getting better and better. I see more wildlife in the dark evenings than I do in the daylight hours. Tonights wild animal was a fox that darted out of the hedgerow right in front of me and ran up the lane looking for an escape route. Never seen a fox that close before.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I can't even remember the last time I posted on this thread. I am beginning to think I might be all cycled out. Tonight I decided to go out. I dragged the improvised Winter bike out, (a crane would have been handy) of the garage. I had to bodge back light brackets but managed to set off.

25 very tiring miles later I am home again. It was slow going and it got very wet for the second half of the ride. Here is a picture of the Beast. It weighs about the same amount as a black hole:
image.jpeg

The front light is fine where it is. I thought it would be rubbish with the travel of the suspension stem but, thanks to the parallelogram design of the stem, the light beam is stable. Good amounts of grip from the Kojak tyres. I can't get the front mudguard any better than that. Apparently, it is for 26" wheels but it doesn't look right at all does it?

gavgav

Guru
I have a week off work, for mainly non cycling related activities, but got out for a short ride this morning. I’ve been struck down with my second bout of Lergy in November, over the last few days and so not enough energy for a long ride.

Very mild, but windy out there, as I followed the cycle paths up to Heathgates, then along Sundorne Rd, down the old canal path and out on the road to Uffington and Upton Magna.

I’d had the wind behind me until now, but turned into it and was much harder going to Berwick Wharf, Atcham, Betton Abbots and home.

Quick stop at Atcham for a view
64344D2F-E744-4515-B9D4-1C97808BC821.jpeg

Didn’t feel too bad, other than copious amounts of snot xx(. I hope the weather will play ball on Saturday morning and allow me to get my 50k in, otherwise I will be bowing out of the Half Century Challenge :cry:

14.9 miles at 12.2mph avg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@ianrauk - we need to get together soon for a ride - all four of us?

We should, except that she doesn't do winter riding.

I have ideas, for days-off rides (ie; tomorrow & Wednesday)
Didn't really happen today

I did go out, but only really for a ride into Wakefield, to pick some documentation up
Did get a bit muddy along a section of the river (Calder) bank, between the Chantry Chapel, & Evans-Halshaw Vauxhall dealership
I didn't even fall off, just got mud/leaves under mudguards, as it was a couple of inches deep at points
Road-Trip. 27.JPG

Plus, a brief detour along NewLands Lane, when I got closer to home
Ribble. CGR. 19.JPG

Old jon

Guru
The intention was to ride yesterday, but the weather put me off. It was that sort of invisible suspended damp that soaks you through in seconds. Nah! Don’t want any of that. This morning, looking through the window, was sort of breezy and maybe a little grey. Much more inviting I thought.

Off I went on the fixed with the idea of riding a couple of roads I have not used recently, in the general direction of Wetherby. After Holbeck’s deserted tarmac and Water Lane’s wings came Crown Point Road and the bridge over the river. The ride along the side of the bus station, right turn onto the start of the three ‘Rs’ and all the way up to Oakwood is all familiar and this morning the breeze was helping a lot. Or perhaps I was trying too hard ‘cos the climb up the A 58 to the Ring Road was very hard going this morning. Just after the crest is Red Hall Lane, turn right onto that, cross Coal Road onto Skeltons Lane and at the end turn left to head to Thorner. All predictable so far, but I did say a couple of roads, and through Thorner to Church Hill, which I have not climbed for some time. After the top the road to Bramham is deceptively downhill, which is a lot more fun than in the other direction. Then there is the dip followed by the climb and a bit more flattish riding to West Woods Road. This runs along parallel to the A 1M and thankfully the breeze was blowing traffic noise away. That road was busy, West Woods Road still has a very good surface, a joy to ride on, especially on the fixed. I must have been feeling fit, at Wattle Syke roundabout I decided to take the A 168 to the Wetherby roundabout, instead of turning left onto Wattle Syke and into Collingham that way. Might be a mile or two longer, the way I chose, and the wind was certainly slowing me down immensely. Ah well, it is about the exercise . . .

It was, though, a bit of a slog from here on. I stopped in Collingham, munch and slurp. Maybe the hedges were allowing more wind through, only a few leaves left, or I was tiring. Along to the lights at East Rigton / Bardsey / East Keswick, I dunno which village claims the crossroads. Down the drop to where the railway bridge once was, followed by the long climb up to and through Scarcroft. There are only a couple more bumps along the road, to finish the circle ( ? ) on the map and then across the Ring Road again.

From the junction of Wetherby and Easterly Roads to the Oakwood Clock, the last climb of the day up to the spare gates of the park, and the drop down Roundhay Road was fine. Then the wind, no longer a breeze, really blew. Almost home though, who cares about wind? Back over the river, a couple of road junctions in Hunslet and the last stretch. Thirty miles, a bit more effort than usual but a good ride for any time of year. Oh, I forgot, double figure temperatures!

I will not forget the map,

22112017.jpg

Top Bottom