Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Set off for a "dress rehearsal" of the TdY Sportive following a new route posted on PedalNorth.com

It starts not that far away from me, so a quick drive out to St Johns Chapel and off we go for 77 miles of fine North Pennine riding. Or so they say :unsure:

To begin with you are heading gently downhill. This is nice to get me warmed up, but that only lasts 3 miles or so until you hang a left and start climbing. 8 miles later (no, that's not a typo) I got to the top of the first climb, where there is a large stone cairn built. Met two great blokes here who were doing a C2C. After a snack and a good chat, I set off for 10 miles of descent :wahhey:The first section is steepest and takes in a couple of hairpin bends, then it's shallower stuff and it seems to go on for ever. However, it does eventually have to flatten out and leads to a gently undulating road that takes you towards Alston, Englands highest market town. It also happens to pass a very nice little cafe to stop for lunch at :hungry:

Duly refuelled it was time to tackle the 7.5 mile climb to the top of Alston Moor, but the descent is absolutely worth the long boring climb, what a cracker! It's not hugely fast, but it's easy to maintain 30mph+ as you get to the steeper sections with some lovely bends to play on.

That brings you to Alston and your surprise! The main street (that you have to ride up) averages 10% on rough cobbles:huh: I gave it a good try, and got to within 50 yards of the cobbles ending when I had to stop :heat: (I will clear that climb, it's unfinished business now) Setting off again on the cobbles was impossible, so a short walk was required.

Next comes.... ah, you guessed! A long climb towards Burnhope Seat and the highest point of the ride at nearly 2000ft. On the way up the valley is laid out to your right and you can see the radar station on Great Dun Fell. When you finally get to the top, you have 14 miles of descent to look forward to... unless you discover that it's into a headwind :sad: Nontheless, down you go past High Force waterfall to Middleton-in-Teesdale.

Now I'm going up again! And the steepest ones are saved to last :sad: I really struggled up here as I had 3 steeper climbs to do, though at least they were much shorter than the others, and all were done in installments. The absolutely screaming final descent was very exciting with the super-steep hairpins at the bottom of it.

Then a small matter of 7 miles back to where I started on a lumpy little back road.

What a spectacular ride! :bravo:

https://www.strava.com/activities/286659825

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FxZjJp6bkQ

Set off for a "dress rehearsal" of the TdY Sportive following a new route posted on PedalNorth.com

It starts not that far away from me, so a quick drive out to St Johns Chapel and off we go for 77 miles of fine North Pennine riding. Or so they say :unsure:

To begin with you are heading gently downhill. This is nice to get me warmed up, but that only lasts 3 miles or so until you hang a left and start climbing. 8 miles later (no, that's not a typo) I got to the top of the first climb, where there is a large stone cairn built. Met two great blokes here who were doing a C2C. After a snack and a good chat, I set off for 10 miles of descent :wahhey:The first section is steepest and takes in a couple of hairpin bends, then it's shallower stuff and it seems to go on for ever. However, it does eventually have to flatten out and leads to a gently undulating road that takes you towards Alston, Englands highest market town. It also happens to pass a very nice little cafe to stop for lunch at :hungry:

Duly refuelled it was time to tackle the 7.5 mile climb to the top of Alston Moor, but the descent is absolutely worth the long boring climb, what a cracker! It's not hugely fast, but it's easy to maintain 30mph+ as you get to the steeper sections with some lovely bends to play on.

That brings you to Alston and your surprise! The main street (that you have to ride up) averages 10% on rough cobbles:huh: I gave it a good try, and got to within 50 yards of the cobbles ending when I had to stop :heat: (I will clear that climb, it's unfinished business now) Setting off again on the cobbles was impossible, so a short walk was required.

Next comes.... ah, you guessed! A long climb towards Burnhope Seat and the highest point of the ride at nearly 2000ft. On the way up the valley is laid out to your right and you can see the radar station on Great Dun Fell. When you finally get to the top, you have 14 miles of descent to look forward to... unless you discover that it's into a headwind :sad: Nontheless, down you go past High Force waterfall to Middleton-in-Teesdale.

Now I'm going up again! And the steepest ones are saved to last :sad: I really struggled up here as I had 3 steeper climbs to do, though at least they were much shorter than the others, and all were done in installments. The absolutely screaming final descent was very exciting with the super-steep hairpins at the bottom of it.

Then a small matter of 7 miles back to where I started on a lumpy little back road.

Gawd, my legs hurt just watching that! Kudos to you for getting that far.:cheers:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

I think the arms slumped in front of the camera were a lovely touch! :laugh:

Gawd, my legs hurt just watching that! Kudos to you for getting that far.:cheers:
So ... you wouldn't fancy riding up Hebden Bridge's infamous Buttress climb then? :whistle:

I have been cycling here for 26 years and I have never felt ready to try it on my bike. I walked up there today and wondered if I ever will! :laugh:

Simontm

Veteran
So did a thirty miler which went through Esher, Oxshott, Box Hill, Headley, Leatherhead, Fetcham then back via Hampton Court.
Lovely day and missed the commuters. Surprised to see how many cyclists were out but a nice 14.8 mph average- even managed 8mph av up the zig zags! ^_^ image.jpg

Just the usual route again. I have decided that I will have tomorrow off. Today was very slow compared to earlier in the week and I think I need the rest.
But there was also another surprise today. My OH decided to take the day off without consulting me, telling me or even warning me... so he then decided to join me on my slow amble around the Cheshire countryside. This means he won't be joining me on Sunday. He has plans for a 100km ride... something he has not done in a very long time and will probably not even notice knowing him!

Anyhow - back to my ride. So on every hill, I saw him overtake me, disappear into the distance, then I would meet him coming towards me, disappear into the distance again on my mirrors and eventually, either catch me up again on the hill, or catch me up again sometime later... not that much later though... It was one of those days and the first hour has most of the climbing and hill on it. So he did double what I did...

IMG_2798.JPG

I'm sure we are meant to me going the other way... :whistle:

IMG_2799.JPG

You just can't take men anywhere.... :laugh:

A slow 16.2 mile. https://www.strava.com/activities/287069028

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
A gentle ride out this morning with Mrs T to see how her knee is holding up.
Been having trouble with it for a while and Doc has put her on a course of anti inflammatory pills.
She wanted to go the hilly way into Barnstaple, stop for a coffee at Bike Shed, then ride back the flat way along the Tarka Trail and around the marshes.
'Nothing too strenuous', so as 'not to aggravate her knee'.
16 miles and 740 feet of elevation later, she ended up with 27 Strava achievements - mainly PB's - but also getting into the top ten on 3 segments.
So much for a 'gentle ride out'!:wacko:
She better not complain about a sore knee tonight!:giggle:

Last edited:
Tell him you can buy stuff in a bottle to cover up those white bits, nobody need ever know ;)
yeh - the new assos logo shows up really well on the black tights! :laugh:

BSRU

A Human Being
Headed out north of Swindon this morning ensuring the outward part of the journey was mainly into the wind and so later when coming back would be aided by a tailwind:okay:.
The problem with north of Swindon is it's flat and there's no hiding from the wind, making the few upward drags a little harder than usual:sweat:.
So rode for 71km with just a measly 470m of going up, still it made for a fast(for me) average speed;).

C0009(2).jpg

No more cycling for me this week:cry:, baby sitting duty all weekend but this weeks 300km in four rides is very satisfying for me^_^ and it's only April:biggrin:.
Refuelled using some jam tarts:tongue:.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A crap couple of days at work left me scraping at the windows wanting to get out for a ride. No.1 bike was still unavailable due to broken seatpost clamp, so I went out for a relaxed ride in my baggy shorts on my No.2 (flat bar) bike instead. A nice sunny evening, with plenty of cyclists and horseriders out in the lanes between Gloucester and Frampton-on-Severn. Quail, bunnies and suicidal pheasants everywhere. Another 20 miles towards my year's target. Suddenly all is well with the world. Bring on the next Sunday morning club ride.

I think the arms slumped in front of the camera were a lovely touch! :laugh:

So ... you wouldn't fancy riding up Hebden Bridge's infamous Buttress climb then? :whistle:

I have been cycling here for 26 years and I have never felt ready to try it on my bike. I walked up there today and wondered if I ever will! :laugh:

Well I would fancy having a go, but I know I wouldn't be able to do it.

Top Bottom