Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
In late October I bought a pot of paint to do the downstairs loo.... well, you know how it is. It sat patiently in the garage until this morning. Mrs Dave went off to London (the knitting and crochet show....) so I set to it. Tiny room, more cutting in than a mansion! At the end of the first coat my resolve nearly broke, but I manfully struggled through the less difficult 2nd coat then I got changed into some lovely Lycra, but not too much of it for a change.
There were a few melting snowmen on the football pitch and the odd tiny patch of white, but other than that there wasn't too much evidence of yesterday's winter wonderland.
Up to Caldecote and then Kingston. Between Great and Little Eversden there was evidence of the snow-
IMG_0569.JPG

Nicely parked sir!

Over the A603 and a wave from Jenny from finance as she drove by. In to Harlton then on to Comberton. 100 yds on the A603 and I made a car slow down a tiny bit so he sounded his horn and shouted abuse, I gave him a special wave. Tit.

Fieldfare everywhere still, but not too many other birds about today.

14.5 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/1436000440

Upon looking in the loo it was apparent that a third coat was needed. It's done and drying, I reckon a 4th coat might be in order. I shouldn't buy this cheap paint!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Illness coupled with very cold weather and then getting snowed in meant I hadn't been out all week. A rapid thaw was dispatching the snow. The bug was still in attendance tho' albeit not as horrid as earlier in the week. I let some rain sweep over and took my last chance this week to get that weekly mileage off zero. Initially I felt I should stick to gritted roads so headed over the commons and down to Staunton. That leg had something of a slight headwind so it felt good to turn to ride over Corse Lawn and on through Longdon. Traffic from Upton can be quite horrid so I decided to try the lanes. A bit of snow in the shadows by The Hyde got me wondering but I needn't have worried as the rest of the lanes were free. Nice to get some long awaited fresh air although the bug may have been stirred up again. Time will tell. 31 smiles and - I saw a barn owl ^_^

Lovely ride today over here in the Netherlands, there has been next to nothing on the snow front just sub-zero temperatures and a biting east wind. However today the wind has gone round to a more southerly direction and the temperature was to go up to 8-9C.
Unfortunately my road bike is undergoing a re-build at the moment so it was time for the CX bike to hit the road.
Planned to do 60-70km but it was such a nice morning I ended up doing 107km.

My steed for today's ride
Ice on the Schelde-Rhin canal

Today's ride

https://www.strava.com/activities/1435819564

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Much warmer today, but still not quite ready to wear shorts!
Still, with the thaw supposed to be starting, I decided to head for Pitsford Res for a circuit. It was quite hard going in places, with the front wheel making its own choice of direction most of the time :laugh:

IMG_5064.JPG

I spun out on one bend and ended up in a drift :whistle:

IMG_5070.JPG

Onwards round the Res, it was thawing well, but still slippery and deep in places. I only saw one other chap on an MTB, but said hello to a couple of Roadies in the Willow Tree cafe when I stopped there.

IMG_5072.JPG

Blackcurrant Ice Cream and wedges for lunch.. Rude not to, eh?! :okay:

On the way home, I used Spectacle Lane, hoping that it was passable.

IMG_5077.JPG

:laugh:

Nope. I pushed and carried the bike for some of it. The 4x4 folks had been out 'playing'and had churned it into lumpy ruts. Or is it rutty lumps?

Still, the 2 fellas in a big tyred 4x4 were stuck, and waiting to be extricated from one particularly large drift seemed friendly enough when I offered them a tow :becool:

Back home on tarmac for the last 4 or 5 miles through Moulton village.

A fun ride, just over 16 miles, in above freezing temperatures for the first time in a while, and with lovely clean tyres from riding through the snow

https://www.strava.com/activities/1435809394

:smile:

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The thaw is well under way so I changed back to the normal Marathons for todays ride. I was also back to fingerless gloves and only a couple of fleeces rather than the four I had on last time out.

Once again I went over Lyth Hill and down to Condover but this time headed for Cross Houses, Atcham and Upton Magna before turning towards Shrewsbury and into The Quarry.

There is still plenty of snow where the bigger drifts have been but a lot has gone with the result that the roads are wet and muddy in a lot of places. There are a few pools across the road but nothing worse than that at the moment.

Past Cross Houses, there is very little snow left on the ground and when I detoured through Attingham Park almost the only signs of it were in the ha-ha. There was a bit more though around Upton Magna and Uffington. I avoided the muddy path by taking to the road but it wasn't particularly pleasurable with a close pass from a marked police car :dry: and another vehicle that gave me loads of rood but forced the car coming the other way to a stop....... this is getting a bit too common for my liking.:rolleyes:

In Shrewsbury the river is low at the moment so there was no problem using the towpath. That might be different in a few days whenthe melt-water from Wales works its way down.

I had a little girl try to race me along Victoria Avenue and I found that someone has put a woolly hat on Hercules.:laugh:

Roman Road was quiet so I stayed on the road rather than rattle my way along the cycle path. Much faster and more comfortable.:okay:

22.3 miles this time at 12.7 mph average. It feels so fast after the last few rides.:laugh:

DSC0005949.jpg

Water instead of snow.

DSC0005950.jpg

Lane to Little Lyth is still blocked. While clambering over my foot sank through the snow into a big pool of water underneath. Yuk!

DSC0005951.jpg

Going green again quite quickly.

DSC0005955.jpg

Dithery pedestrian in Attingham Park.

DSC0005957.jpg

The ha-ha at Attingham is still full of snow - about all that's left in the park.

DSC0005958.jpg

Upton Magna.
Zoe Ball is supposed to be stopping in the village on her Sport Relief charity ride tomorrow.

DSC0005959.jpg

On the old canal path near Uffington.

DSC0005961.jpg

Like the hat Hercules!;)

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Rain was forecast for later so I togged up and headed out. After yesterday's wee tester my legs noticed. But not long after they were happy again. The wind out over the common was not easy to push so I headed for the hedges and Castlemorton. Crossing Longdon Marsh also had some wind hindrance but I made it across and more hedges for The Rampings. On the top at Bushley Green I caught that wind again but I was soon dropping off for The Mythe. Now some assistance was apparent as I headed north through Twyning and then west from Strensham. The road works at Upton held me up. It's not obvious what is happening except that the road may be wider. Bad news as it's a bit of a race track anyway at times. I took my standard run back by Brotheridge Green. A few spots of rain began to gather support so that it was getting a tad damp as I rolled up my driveway. Having put the bike away the rain came on properly so thankfully I'd made it back in the nick of time. 35 smiles

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
IMG_1186.JPG
IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1185.JPG
IMG_1181.JPG

Lovely day today, calm 27km in cruise mode ..
Then came home to a my good lady making me a lemon and raspberry flapjack ..

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Having been called into work over the weekend I figured I'd get a quick ride in this morning before work again tonight. Nothing fancy, the usual amble up to Windsor Great Park. I did vary the route a tad and went via the Wentworth estate, a very pleasant route before the ball whackers get out.
Ended up doing 32 miles, so thats the metric half ride for the month.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Well I actually made it! With minutes to spare, I arrived at the diabetic centre car park to ride with www.getactivebolton.co.uk
There was probably in excess of 20 other newbie, returning and regular cyclists all chatting and waiting to set off on our epic adventure. Paid my 2 quid and we set off at 10am.
A short downhill before turning off the road and into Queens Park. Most of the group stayed on the tarmac up the hill, past the bridge and down the other side but myself and one or two other smartarses took the more scenic and much flatter gravel path beside the river to emerge the other side much less exhausted. It pays to know the area :okay:
A short section of motorist dodging followed before nipping through the Gilnow estate, walking through the tunnel under the railway (glass minefield) and onto the Middlebrook Trail.
We passed the 3 high rise towers where I used to live at a steady sub 10mph and in front of me was a line of bright dayglo yellow jackets as far as the eye could see and lots of cheery banter between the various folk attending. Maybe the various cycle clubs in Bolton could learn a thing or two from these people. The simple pleasure of riding a bike and not racing from one strava segment to the next like complete nobs was attracting loads of normal people. This riding style was seemingly having a positive effect on how non cyclists saw us too. We passed maybe 5 or 6 dog walkers, all of whom stood to one side with their doggies to let all 22 of us idle past. All had a smile on their face. All greeted us as we did them. One of the regulars had a comedy horn tucked in his jacket which when tooted, had a little girl and her brother in stitches. A big thumbs up from their mum and grandma. It's the little things that make life that bit more fun ^_^
At the end of the trail we had a short road journey before entering the Regent Golf Course and onto a smooth winding tarmac bridleway. As per effing usual, I could feel my blood sugar levels dropping now and the legs were struggling to power the Dawes up the inclines. I used to ride this route quite regularly so I knew I wasn't far from our Tesco cafe destination and just plodded on.
The thought of sitting with 22 complete strangers, most of whom seemed to know each other and trying to fit in wasn't a situation I was willing to test my anxiety levels on. So I opted to stay outside with the ride leader and the bloke who stayed at the back to watch for stragglers. Well someone has to help keep an eye on the bikes don't they? :whistle:
Wrapping my gums around a Mars Bar I did my best to engage in conversation with these gentlemen and the leader told me about some of the other rides they did which included longer 20+ mile rides during the warmer months. That's something I can aim for:bicycle:
Not sure how, maybe it was the cold, but somehow 4 of us ended up discussing the outside toilets that as children they and my great grandparents had. I rember using it. I remember it being bloody cold. :blink:
The ride home was in reverse although a little colder and now wetter thanks to a drizzle and was almost identical to the outbound journey except for my excursion through the woods next to the river. Rather than the gravel path, I took the other narrower slightly muddier route. This got me thinking. My old Schwalbe Landcruisers very rarely lost traction in mud. Today, my newer models with the thicker central ridge did. Twice. What gives Schwalbe? You've made perfectly good tyres more crap. Duh!
Back home for 12.30 and fell asleep on the couch having done 15 miles. That's the most since the stroke. I'm planning on being out with them tomorrow and Wednesday too :smile:

Snow all gone here, so went for a bit of a bimble at tea time after a week and a half of no cycling. Felt good to get out, despite the head cold. :smile:

Nothing special, just my basic eight mile loop to Littleport and back, via Downham Common and Black Bank. Horrible little cross headwind on the way out, but made for a much nicer ride on the homeward leg. Still, it was much milder than it's been, so no need to go out resembling Bibendum this time.

Didn't see the chap on the hybrid today.

The many mattress is still there dangling in the verge, and it has been joined by a whole load of plastic waste spread far and wide - probably the contents of someone's recycling bin. :angry:

Saw a lovely big heron on the way home too.

And I beat the rain by about 20 minutes. :dance:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Took a ride out to Creswell Crags today, previously home to cavemen, hippos, lions and hyenas. A few thousand years ago.

A total of 29.6 km (18.42 miles) and 326m (1069 feet) of elevation.

Still some snow about at the side of the roads.

View media item 10430
Melting snow causes puddles though.

View media item 10429This particular puddle was 6” deep. Managed to get by on a slip of verge, but did get wet feet in the snow. Twice, as I returned the same way.

At the Crags were two horse riders and two groups of school children. The kids all had hi-vis and hard hats as they were being taken into the caves on a guided tour.

An enjoyable ride. Just got home as the rain began to fall.

Old jon

Guru
Social obstructions, anti social health, and straightforward garbage weather might all be used as excuses for the terribly tiny amount of riding I have managed this year so far. Ah well. I wheeled out a clean and shiny fixed for a ride this morning. Twenty three and a half miles later it was still a fixed but the other two had gone missing in the weather somewhere . . .

Being totally undecided about a route, follow the main road to Jack Lane and wander gently through Holbeck. Having one gear only, flatter country seemed an idea. Through Hunslet then, with the rise to John o’Gaunts to warm up legs and lungs. It did feel cold though. Woodlesford, then turn left for Swillington. The two climbs made it obvious the legs and lungs still needed warming, and the ride up to the end of Garforth Main Street from the roundabout was still a slog. I turned left at the lights there, onto Barwick Road.

Once in Barwick, turn left by the New Inn and ride along, in pleasant conditions, to Scholes. Pleasant conditions? Aye, on and off all ride long, the thing between me ears kept presenting different views about the ride. Barwick to Scholes is not a bad road, but a dim and drizzly March morning does not make it pleasant, really. Good for riding along, yes. So, the A 64 in quiet mode is next for a few yards until the right turn onto Thorner Lane, and follow that to Skeltons Lane. Halfway along there was an odd collection of buildings, Bramley Gardens I think. Never been sure of the use made of them until now, they are being used for demolition practice today. One more of life’s little mysteries. The rest of the ride is the usual descent of Boot Hill, trying to beat 28 mph on the fixed. Not today. Past the clock at Oakwood and through Leeds edge of centre on my way home again. The drizzle was increasing and I was happy to see home once more, to start the process of thawing out again. I need more practice.

A map of a short ride

06032018.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
What to do while your car is being M.O.T'd? I had just the idea today. Left the car at the main dealers in Cheltenham, and headed off along the edge of the Cotswolds for a touristy bike ride. First up, the long drag up Cleeve Hill:
21 Cleeve Hill.JPG

Most of the snow has gone now, leaving only the odd stripe of snow in the shadows and crevices ... and the odd random little side road. This one had a "Road Closed" sign that drew me in like a moth to a lightbulb:
22.JPG

I can't begin to complete with @User9609 , but I did manage a "bike in the snow" shot of my own:
23.JPG

After a bit of B road past Postlip Hall, I soon found myself in the lovely town of Winchcombe, but no photos as it was ruined today by HGV traffic and roadworks. Carried on through to Stanton and Stanway for a bit of picturesque sightseeing. This is Stanway House:
24 Stanway House.JPG

The little lane to Stanton was still quite snowy in places, and a joy to ride, with only one vehicle encountered in over a mile:
25.JPG

Stanton is one of my favourite small villages in the Cotswolds:
26 Stanton.JPG

Eventually found my way to Broadway in Worcesterhire ... another of the jewels of the Cotswolds. I rode all the way to the top end of the village, where I joined a local dog walker in watching (and listening to) a woodpecker, giving it all he'd got at the top of an old oak tree.
27 Broadway.JPG

I had already decided that was to be my turning point, when my phone rang, and it was the garage, saying my car had sailed through its M.O.T. and would be ready to collect in an hour. Turned tail and re-traced my steps through Broadway, Winchcombe and Cleeve Hill. I didn't do any of the little lanes on the way back, as I was hoping to collect the car and be able to get to the shops with Mrs D this afternoon. While slogging my way back up the longer (but less steep) way back up Cleeve Hill from Winchcombe, a van hooted and pulled over on the opposite side of the road and someone shouted "Donger!!" It was my mate Kevin from my cycling club. Got a great view (but a blurry photo, I'm afraid) of the finishing straight of Cheltenham Racecourse down beneath me while descending Cleeve Hill towards Prestbury:
28 Cheltenham Racecourse from Cleeve Hill.JPG

34.4 miles for me today, by the time I got back to Cheltenham. A great way to wait for your car to be done. I did this on Gold Cup day a couple of years back, and worried that I might have made a mistake. It turned out that everyone was either already at the races or staying well clear of the place, and I've never seen the roads round there emptier since then ... until today. A nice ride.
Enjoy your rides everyone. Cheers, Donger.

Top Bottom