Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
54 miles in the rain solo ride this afternoon and cycled up the wall that is Peters Lane, Whiteleaf in the Chiltern hills.
19678FA8-A69F-4F29-86DA-C4675C74DFB6.jpeg

0E1EAA1B-C1D5-4CDC-A95C-09259C977E7B.jpeg

My ride yesterday started off as a short ride out for a coffee before rain arrived and ended up being my longest ever ride.

I've been seeing a personal trainer since January and following a nutrition plan with the aim of losing weight and getting fitter mainly for cycling. I've been feeling great and have done a couple of short rides this year which went well and was looking forward to a longer one. The weather forecast was looking good right up until Saturday evening, when it changed to cold and overcast instead of warm with sunny periods. I was a bit demotivated.

So I got up Sunday morning and it was indeed cloudy, but it was at least dry so I decided to go out and make up a route as I went along, I followed one of my normal routes for a while out to a local lake and then decided it was worth risking going a bit further to Rapperswil. There was a hill in the way that I've never made it all the way up which I thought would make a good test of my fitness level. That went well, the short but steep climb was conquered and I enjoyed beautiful views of the Swiss Alps in the distance all the way there. Got to Rapperswil and had Coffee and Lunch. The intention was to get the train home, but after a rest I felt good and decided to cycle home down the other side of Lake Zürich - No hills of any note until the climb out of Zürich back home that usually is enough for me, but at my door I'd done 90kms, and still felt good. I had to go for the 100 :-) So I added an extra loop to take me to 105. That was only 1km off my longest ride so I had to add 4 more to get my longest ride.

From starting off disappointed at the weather, I think I had my best ever day on a bike. Aching a bit today though!

View attachment 399703

That’s fantastic, well done! :notworthy:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My ride yesterday started off as a short ride out for a coffee before rain arrived and ended up being my longest ever ride.

I've been seeing a personal trainer since January and following a nutrition plan with the aim of losing weight and getting fitter mainly for cycling. I've been feeling great and have done a couple of short rides this year which went well and was looking forward to a longer one. The weather forecast was looking good right up until Saturday evening, when it changed to cold and overcast instead of warm with sunny periods. I was a bit demotivated.

So I got up Sunday morning and it was indeed cloudy, but it was at least dry so I decided to go out and make up a route as I went along, I followed one of my normal routes for a while out to a local lake and then decided it was worth risking going a bit further to Rapperswil. There was a hill in the way that I've never made it all the way up which I thought would make a good test of my fitness level. That went well, the short but steep climb was conquered and I enjoyed beautiful views of the Swiss Alps in the distance all the way there. Got to Rapperswil and had Coffee and Lunch. The intention was to get the train home, but after a rest I felt good and decided to cycle home down the other side of Lake Zürich - No hills of any note until the climb out of Zürich back home that usually is enough for me, but at my door I'd done 90kms, and still felt good. I had to go for the 100 :-) So I added an extra loop to take me to 105. That was only 1km off my longest ride so I had to add 4 more to get my longest ride.

From starting off disappointed at the weather, I think I had my best ever day on a bike. Aching a bit today though!

View attachment 399703
:bravo::bravo:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
First bimble for me this year due to wind, rain, and cold. It was cold when i started out and to be honest i didn't think i was going to go far, but the sun came out and what a difference it was. 13 miles done for the first bimble of the year. Very happy with that.
20180313_122828.jpg
20180313_114753.jpg
20180313_115916.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After picking up my new (to me) steed at the weekend, today was the day for a decent test and fettle to get the setup right. Since the day dawned nicely and I was in no rush, I opted to do the planned April half century (metric) ride with some extra's added on. This led me to some really quite nice roads that I've not ridden before in the Esher, Oxshott & Stoke A'Abernon area, including a little trip around the octagonal Whiteley Village which was a lovely little place. Of course, with the nice roads come the rubbish ones, and there were a good few miles done on them. Surreys roads seem to have gotten worse through the recent cold snaps and I found myself riding a strong primary on some of the A roads to avoid them, not ideal but all good drivers today so no hassle:smile: The new ride was comfy, and bar a couple of minor changes is pretty much spot on.
I couldn't find the 'Your bike against a garden fence which needs painting' thread, so here will do.
Van Nicholas Yukon.jpg

A brief stop at a sunny Walton for a snack
13 March 2018 Walton Bridge.jpg

51 miles for me today. If I do 3 x 50 mile rides per month for the rest of 2018 then my imperial Eddington will be 50. Looks like the half century a month challenge rides will have to be made imperial instead of the current metric:smile:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Following on from last week (when I considered going for 2x50km each week from now on), I went out North-East of Ipswich as an experiment. Snaffled another point for the challenge and definitely am feeling stronger. Long rides in the summer seem a believable target again!

At the halfway point: Wantisden.

Tunstall 13.3.18.JPG

Old jon

Guru
That’s better! That indefinable something gave today’s ride an extra shine somehow. How the doodah it happens I know not, but when it does it is brilliant. Thank you, life.

An ordinary start again. From where I live all is ordinary for quite a distance, including waltzing around Holbeck just to miss a few traffic lights and other stuff. Escape via Crown Point Bridge, where all city bound traffic has been banished while things are being done to look after Leeds Bridge. Not much traffic at ten in the morning though, so Regent Street, Roseville and Roundhay Roads all the way to the Oakwood Clock without any problem at all, other than the legs were having a hard time of it. Keep following the road in the direction of Wetherby, up Boot Hill and that was a heave this morning. I should not complain, I chose to ride the fixed today and had already decided the route . . .

But there is good, to reach the top and have a distance of level road to ride along for a while. Turn right onto Red Hall Lane, and along Skeltons Lane, passing what was once Bramley Gardens on the way. Not quite demolished yet, I am often intrigued at the way seemingly unstable columns of masonry take a fair bit of knocking down. Today, I did not stop to look, but carried on to Thorner Lane and turned left to ride down Sandhills.

After downhill riding, there is almost certain to be some up, don’t you find? Church Hill in this case. Once at the top there is a mile or two of easy pedalling along the way to Bramham. Drop down to the beck, which is almost crossing the road by itself, and enjoy the short sharp climb back up to another Thorner Lane. Hmm, depending which map I look at the beck could be Milner Beck or Bramham Beck. Anyway, the one that joins the eastern end of Wothersome Lake. Anyway, before Bramham is reached, turn left onto West Woods Way. What gentle breeze there may have been was not at all evident along here this morning. So, easier riding all the way to Wattle Syke, and I turned left yet again to ride to Collingham, which is about as close as I was going to approach the River Wharfe today. Riding away from a river is normally uphill, and that is what the road from here does to a greater or lesser degree, passing Bardsey and East Rigton, and after a descent the long long way up through Scarcroft. All this ends eventually. A big grin all the way down Boot Hill and indeed most of the way back home, crossing the Aire at Crown Point Bridge again and reaching the street I live on twenty eight miles after leaving it. A good ride, as I may have mentioned earlier.

Garmin squiggled this for me

13032018.jpg

Four days-off now
However, todays weather is certainly not conducive to a ride
Not that I'm (by any stretch of the imagination) a fair-weather rider
It's more the getting shouted at by SWMBO, when she comes home, for going out just to (as she'd see it) get very wet

Hoping for a better day tomorrow
Bike selected; CGR (as I knew there'd be damp/mucky roads, & I might venture onto towpaths/old railways)
Weather; overcast. rather cold, damp, light rain
Photographs from today (unless captioned otherwise)

Got the better day
Drier anyway, & now I'm back home..................sunshine:angry:

I had no aims, but just 'pottered'
Down through the town, over the railway, on the road-bridge, next to Normanton Station
A 'corner-cut', by using a portion of the Wakefield Wheel, only from Station Road, to Altofts Hall Road
Down through Lower Altofts, to the LaFarge Concrete plant, where there's access to the new section of 'Greenway' to Castleford. alongside the River Calder
The green/yellow marked section
https://cyclecityconnect.co.uk/projects/wakefield-to-castleford/

Altofts Station (closed 1990?)
Pope Street

DSCF4464.JPG

At 'Fairies Hill Lock', where I joined it
In the 4th picture, the track follows the left-hand baking, & passes under the viaduct (Leeds - Castleford)
I bumped into a local MTB rider, on top of the viaduct, in 4th picture, when it started raining (only for about 10 minutes though)
DSCF4465.JPG DSCF4466.JPG DSCF4467.JPG DSCF4479.JPG

Once in Castleford, the vehicular points took some time (1.)

I rode through the town, around its old Potteries area, up to the new ASDA, at Glasshougton, then back along the bypass/link-road, to the new Police Station/'Central Custody' at Havertop, before heading back into Normanton, to take a few more photographs (2.)

Hopefully out tomorrow again:okay:

1. I saw a quintet of unusual vehicles. all very close to each other
2. There was also a couple of 'Bench Marks', & an unusual wall-reflector

Last edited:
What to do while your car is being M.O.T'd? I had just the idea today. Left the car at the main dealers in Cheltenham, and headed off along the edge of the Cotswolds for a touristy bike ride.

Stanton is one of my favourite small villages in the Cotswolds:
View attachment 398855

Hooton Pagnall is always thought of, as a misplaced Cotswolds village
It's in the middle of the South Yorkshire Coal-Fields, & is very much out of place!!!
http://www.hootonpagnell.com/the-old-school/4537509179
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/my-picture-of-the-day-wheres-yours.117414/post-4874815

South Yorkshire Scenes. Hooton Pagnell. 2.JPG South Yorkshire Scenes. Hooton Pagnell. 4. Church Lane.JPG South Yorkshire Scenes. Hooton Pagnell. 6. The Hall 1.JPG South Yorkshire Scenes. Hooton Pagnell. 9. Market Cross. 2.JPG South Yorkshire Scenes. Hooton Pagnell. 9. Market Cross. 3.JPG South Yorkshire Scenes. Hooton Pagnell. 8. The Hall 3 (Courtyard).JPG

Attachments

• South Yorkshire Scenes. Hooton Pagnell. 9. Market Cross. 3.JPG
    South Yorkshire Scenes. Hooton Pagnell. 9. Market Cross. 3.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 35
After picking up my new (to me) steed at the weekend, today was the day for a decent test and fettle to get the setup right. Since the day dawned nicely and I was in no rush, I opted to do the planned April half century (metric) ride with some extra's added on. This led me to some really quite nice roads that I've not ridden before in the Esher, Oxshott & Stoke A'Abernon area, including a little trip around the octagonal Whiteley Village which was a lovely little place. Of course, with the nice roads come the rubbish ones, and there were a good few miles done on them. Surreys roads seem to have gotten worse through the recent cold snaps and I found myself riding a strong primary on some of the A roads to avoid them, not ideal but all good drivers today so no hassle:smile: The new ride was comfy, and bar a couple of minor changes is pretty much spot on.
I couldn't find the 'Your bike against a garden fence which needs painting' thread, so here will do.
View attachment 399787

A brief stop at a sunny Walton for a snack
View attachment 399788
51 miles for me today. If I do 3 x 50 mile rides per month for the rest of 2018 then my imperial Eddington will be 50. Looks like the half century a month challenge rides will have to be made imperial instead of the current metric:smile:
Nice bike @cosmicbike

gavgav

Guru
Finally back on the bike again, after 2 & 1/2 weeks without a ride, due to the Beast From the East and other plans always co-inciding with the very few decent days of weather we’ve had over the past month or so!

It was a relatively mild afternoon, in the sun at least and so only had 3 layers on, but took a 4th as I knew it would drop cool once the sun went down and boy was I right!

Headed over to dads, taking the road route through Meole Brace, Hook a Gate, Annscroft and Exfords Green, as I knew the route over Lyth Hill would be flooded from the recent snow melt and rain. Only thing to note on route was that the River Severn has burst its banks and so the small tributary near home has risen onto the cycle path, under the road bridge, which I’d half expected in advance and so had taken the dry route instead!

Chatted to Dad for 20 minutes and the temperature had dipped considerably during that time, so it was extra layer on and a chilly route home, through Gonsal, Condover and Betton Abbots. Still a few bits of snow about in the verges, which I was quite surprised at.

As I reached the traffic lights into my estate, a coach pulled up at them and it was from the company that I used to work for, based 60 mile away, which took me by surprise.

14.9 miles at 12.1mph avg speed.

Top Bottom