Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
My 'Rainy day, get your sorry, lazy 4rse out ride' ride.

So I set off just before 3pm. The rain had eased off an hour before hand and I was sodding about doing this and that. 'Displacement activity' I think it's called.
No idea why because I had decided early in the day I was going out for a spin no matter what.

Kit on, no special winter gear because it was relatively mild, lights too just in case, and I was off. It started raining within 200 yards. Did I stop, turn back ? I did not.
North via Moortown and Shadwell Lane I made towards East Keswick. Right towards Scarcroft and came down to meet the main A58 Leeds/Wetherby Road.
Left to Bardsey and hung a right up Wood Lane and through East Rigton.
It's a hamlet, well almost, just a bunch small but expensive houses. Turned left at the top of the hill and back down to cross the A58 again and made for East Keswick.
A proper village this place but like so many satellite villages and places that once thrived and had a life all their own, it's pleasant but seems souless. A couple of pubs but the local shops that once gave life are no more.
Up the hill towards the main Harewood, Collingham road. Garmin has it as 5%. It's more than that. Honest.
Turned towards Harewood and the gates of Harewood House. Home of not Lord Harewood but..................... Lord Harewood pronounced Harwood. (I kid you not)

Well I wouldn't invite him to tea with a poncy name like that. I'm sure he will be devastated when he reads this.

No matter. I went left and south back towards Leeds, hung a left and made it through Wike, Shadwell and then past Roundhay Park and Canal Gardens past Oakwood Clock and back home. Almost stopped to take a photo or two but decided I would do it when the sun was out instead.

13oo ft of up and 19 miles or so. All of which were very enjoyable in spite of, maybe because of, the gentle rain.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/21210265

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Beauty of cycling ..
Fell off into the snow in installmemts and what felt like slow motion ..
Helped an old chap on his motorised scooter stuck in the snow ..
Had a chat with an 80 year old gentleman who cycles all around the area ..
Did 35 km on a lovely day ..

View attachment 399184 View attachment 399185 View attachment 399186 View attachment 399187 View attachment 399188 View attachment 399189
Is that Gorleston seafront?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterday's ride, as per..
I've wanted to get out to stretch the legs for the previous several days, but have had stupidly late finishes recently :thumbsdown:

Still, I got the chance to pop out yesterday morning for a circuit of the town and a chat with Roger & Liz at the Bike Shed, my local LBS people.

Back alongsde the Nene to Barnes Meadow, and the circus is in town....

kenworth.JPG

With a Kenworth pulling logs..10-4 good buddy! :tongue:

A pleasant 16 miles leg spinner before having to go to w*rk :sad: Booooooo

https://www.strava.com/activities/1443743302

:smile:

postman

Legendary Member
East Keswick.
A proper village this place but like so many satellite villages and places that once thrived and had a life all their own, it's pleasant but seems souless. A couple of pubs but the local shops that once gave life are no more.

Many many moons ago,during the 1970's a very young and fit Postman,was the reserve Postman for East Keswick.It was always quiet,i could never understand how two pubs just yards apart could keep going.

pjd57

Veteran
A few bits and pieces to do today in and around Glasgow.
Maryhill into the city, but had to avoid the canal as Red Bull were having their swimming event in it.
Down the Kelvin, over the Clyde to Victoria Rd then along past Ibrox to Braehead.
Soaked when I got there.
Into Evans to collect new gloves and a top. ( The top is going back, too big)
Back to the Clyde tunnel was mayhem. Avoid Braehead on Saturdays.
Out the tunnel and along the cycle path , I'm rubbish with their route numbers, to Clydebank for a family visit.
Back home along the canal path into a cold wind and freezing rain.

Still enjoyed 30 miles , which took me to 100 for the week, with some more to add tomorrow

colly

Re member eR
Lovely sunny morning now what CAN I do ?

Not wanting to be out all day I thought a couple of hours would do the trick. Hilly was the name of the game and so hilly it was.

Out to East Keswick, down into Linton and through Sicklinghall and Kirby Overblow. Down towards Harewood Bridge.
Sadly on Harrogate Road just after the turn to Kirby Overblow there had been a car smash. Police were there and a recovery vehicle and I think it must have happened quite some time before. From what I could see two cars were involved. One car was literally torn in half.
The front of the car was on the recovery lorry and the other half of the car was 20ft in the field. The hedge was intact so that half must have been thrown right over. God help who ever was in that car.
So in somber mood I carried on. Up Harewood Bank and back through Wike to Slaid Hill and home again.

Just under 28 miles with 2300ft of climbing

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/21230194

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A big thumbs up for the Berkeley Tea Rooms café in Berkeley. Best club ride café break for ages, today. I had ridden through Berkeley several times before and never even noticed the place. Turns out if you ride in through the arch to the side of it, there is a cobbled courtyard plenty big enough for dozens of bikes to park up.

As to the ride itself, we started off combining all eight riders who turned up, and then the fastest three went their own way after ten miles or so to take in some extra hills. They were meant to meet up with us again at the cafe, but we never saw hide nor hair of them again today. The five of us who remained as the Chilled Group did a sort of figure-of-eight route out to Berkeley, but taking a last minute decision to exactly reverse the route so as to avoid the floods in the southbound cycle lane of the A38. Another great ride in great company...... and 39.4 miles closer to my next big target (more to follow on that later in the month).

No rain today, so was a little overdressed. Hope you are all as lucky with the weather. Back to audaxing next week.

Cheers, Donger.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Whilst I was putting the new tyre on the rear tandem wheel last night I realised what a dump the garage had become, so before today's ride it was tidy up time. It looks like a lovely place now!

So, feeling good I went out on my Cube. One thing I noticed on skinny tyres is that Cambridgeshire roads are getting worse, if that's possible.
I made my way through Barton and Haslingfield and over the A10 toward Newton. From here I went to Thriplow, next weekend is their daffodil weekend, it'll need a mild week to bring the flowers on.

At this point in the ride I was turning back North westish, I was supposed to get a tail wind, but I'm not so sure! Just in to the edge of Barrington before turning to Orwell, then up the road to the Wimpole main drive. They were queuing to get in today. At the top of the hill along the ridge I had wildlife spot of the day, 3 hares hunkered down, no boxing today.

Home along the A1198, Bourn and Toft. 30 breezy miles.

I made sure not to mess up the garage on the way through!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1447554805

Datum2

Über Member
I'll have a go at this. I like to see other peoples Strava rides, It helps me plan routes further afield.

Todays ride of 40 miles took us out on the Fenland of North Cambridgeshire, a little detour for the Great Fen Project and the Holme Posts as one of the small group hadn't seen them before. Back out onto the B660 towards Ramsey St Marys and then alongside the river into Ramsey. Onwards to Ramsey Forty Foot where the fishermen were sitting sedatley by the Forty Foot drain. Sharp right onto Hollow Lane for a real fenland experience. Good fortune with this as the wind was non existent and the road was in good order. Back into Ramsey by the golf course entrance and then out towards Bury and the former RAF Upwood.

Great delight was had in seeing the outdoor pigs in what must have been the commanding officers house or some high ranking RAF officer. The grounds of the house were completley churned up by the pigs (a great way to win back any overgrown area) The Upwood site is very rundown and heavily vandalised.
After our mandatory Jelly Baby/Chocolate stop we pushed on towards Great Raveley, Woodwalton, Alconbury Weston, Hamerton and home to Gt Gidding.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1447359291

Edit -wrong strava link

Last edited:
Whilst I was putting the new tyre on the rear tandem wheel last night I realised what a dump the garage had become, so before today's ride it was tidy up time. It looks like a lovely place now!

So, feeling good I went out on my Cube. One thing I noticed on skinny tyres is that Cambridgeshire roads are getting worse, if that's possible.
I made my way through Barton and Haslingfield and over the A10 toward Newton. From here I went to Thriplow, next weekend is their daffodil weekend, it'll need a mild week to bring the flowers on.

At this point in the ride I was turning back North westish, I was supposed to get a tail wind, but I'm not so sure! Just in to the edge of Barrington before turning to Orwell, then up the road to the Wimpole main drive. They were queuing to get in today. At the top of the hill along the ridge I had wildlife spot of the day, 3 hares hunkered down, no boxing today.

Home along the A1198, Bourn and Toft. 30 breezy miles.

I made sure not to mess up the garage on the way through!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1447554805

Go tubeless;much plusher ride especially if you go wider with the lower pressures.

Top Bottom