Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
4 in today. Jules H, Pete M, Margaret P-R and lil ole me. Pete called the long way to Tewkesbury so off we went down through the school with first one big group of ladies resting at the top of Tunnel Hill and then another coming through the school. This time it was the Women on Wheels group. Then The Ross CC club run were there too. Wow. Lots out! On down towards the Hams allowed us to cross a swollen Severn at Haw Bridge. Then we took a detour to the Saxon chapel at Deerhurst. Off again over the A38 we took the lane by Bozard's Farm for a rapid ride to Ashchurch on the busy main road. The quiet loop to Tewkesbury was our reward.

Too much time was spent in the cafe. Margaret headed off home early and eventually we three looped through the lanes by the White Rabbit. We parted at Upton where I took to my standard run back. The lane which had been OK this morning was now flooding. I made it through OK but I suspect the river will claim the lane for a while now. 54 smiles and a Red Kite gave us a lovely view as it flew over.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Lovely sunny morning now what CAN I do ?

Not wanting to be out all day I thought a couple of hours would do the trick. Hilly was the name of the game and so hilly it was.

Out to East Keswick, down into Linton and through Sicklinghall and Kirby Overblow. Down towards Harewood Bridge.
Sadly on Harrogate Road just after the turn to Kirby Overblow there had been a car smash. Police were there and a recovery vehicle and I think it must have happened quite some time before. From what I could see two cars were involved. One car was literally torn in half.
The front of the car was on the recovery lorry and the other half of the car was 20ft in the field. The hedge was intact so that half must have been thrown right over. God help who ever was in that car.
So in somber mood I carried on. Up Harewood Bank and back through Wike to Slaid Hill and home again.

Just under 28 miles with 2300ft of climbing

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/21230194
Are you riding the Battaglin Colin?

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Turns out if you ride in through the arch to the side of it, there is a cobbled courtyard plenty big enough for dozens of bikes to park up.

Thanks for that tip. I've ridden past and noticed the cafe but didn't know about the bike parking. I've usually headed for that big shed of a cafe on the canal near Slimbridge. I think it's now open again after a long refurb period.

tyred

Legendary Member
DSCF6054 (Copy).JPG

Lough Finn and still some evidence of snow on the mountains. Sheep came expecting to be fed when I ate a bag of crisps and they heard the rustling packet. Sorry to disappoint. My first proper length ride in many years on my recently refurbished and tweaked mountain bike, I bought this bike when I was 14, I rode it a lot at the time, then it languished in my parent's shed for many years until I started cycling again as an adult, then it got surpassed by other bikes and went back to languishing in my parent's shed until I decided to give it some TLC. It's probably BSO material but now with properly adjusted bearings and brakes and nice new chain and freewheel block, it rides pretty damn good. Good enough for 70 miles today. I did this partly as a nostalgia trip and also to have bike I could use around town without worrying too much about it but the bike exceeds all my expectations.
DSCF6037 (Copy).JPG

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
CC Forum ride today, Leicestershire posse meeting Lincolnshire posse.

5 of us set off from Leicestershire, @tallliman @13 rider @Chris Doyle @Lilliburlero and obviously myself and headed up to Bardney to meet @Saluki and @wajc

Was a bit misty when we set off but once over the ridge and into the vale the mist lifted and the odd occasions the sun came out it was quite warm. We had to push it a bit to get to Bardney for the meet up so only had a quick stop at the Co-op in Long Bennington and before long we were heading up the hill at Coleby.

Eventually met up with @Saluki, we might have been a bit late :rolleyes: but she wasn't annoyed with us. @wajc then turned up and we were off on a 50km loop before heading back into Bardney for drinks and cake.

A quick goodbye to @Saluki and a mad dash to Lincoln to get the train. Waved by to @wajc on the way. Got on the train with minute to spare.

A long long day, I left the house before 05:30 and didn't get home until around 19:00

135 mile ride to Lincoln for me, double metric for @13 rider and imperial centuries for @tallliman and @Chris Doyle (his first :becool:)

OOPS @Lilliburlero did a double metric as well

Thanks to @wajc for help with grabbing some extra explorer squares

Well done to @Chris Doyle for completing his first imperial century

and obviously thanks to everyone for the smashing company.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1448269740

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Round to Mum's this morning to drop of a Mother's Day card and for a bit of a catch up so I took the Voodoo with the intention of having a slow ride around afterwards. When I left Mum's there was a fine drizzle in the air which I thought nothing of and took the back roads and bridleways out towards Falkenham at which point the drizzle had increased to full rain and so I gave up, did the Falkenham/Kirton loop home and went home for a hot shower having completed only 17 miles of an intended 30ish.
Today.png

Trying to cure a bit of Cabin Fever after yet another bug I got myself out early doors to meet some mates for a ride into a local cafe. Lol I was early so was only on a wee ring 13-14mph pace which made me a target for a RLJ that furiously chased me down and overtook only to blow up in front of me. I let them hang for a while then carried on by at my 13-14mph pace strangely (not) they disappeared :laugh: It was a bit misty and damp when I met them but I never felt cold in my bib shorts with summer knee warmers and after the cafe the sun came out and the arm warmers were rolled down so hopefully this is a sign of Spring :becool:
I did feel the effects of yesterdays bug but I was glad to get out https://www.strava.com/activities/1447346275 ^_^

13 rider

Guru

5 of us set off from Leicestershire, @tallliman @13 rider @Chris Doyle @Lilliburlero and obviously myself and headed up to Bardney to meet @Saluki and @wajc

Was a bit misty when we set off but once over the ridge and into the vale the mist lifted and the odd occasions the sun came out it was quite warm. We had to push it a bit to get to Bardney for the meet up so only had a quick stop at the Co-op in Long Bennington and before long we were heading up the hill at Coleby.

Eventually met up with @Saluki, we might have been a bit late :rolleyes: but she wasn't annoyed with us. @wajc then turned up and we were off on a 50km loop before heading back into Bardney for drinks and cake.

A quick goodbye to @Saluki and a mad dash to Lincoln to get the train. Waved by to @wajc on the way. Got on the train with minute to spare.

A long long day, I left the house before 05:30 and didn't get home until around 19:00

135 mile ride to Lincoln for me, double metric for @13 rider and imperial centuries for @tallliman and @Chris Doyle (his first :becool:)

Was a great day out . Just need to point including ride home from the station for the first time in his company I rode more miles than @Supersuperleeds all 0.7 of them :tongue:

cyberknight

Four days-off now

However, todays weather is certainly not conducive to a ride
Not that I'm (by any stretch of the imagination) a fair-weather rider

It's more the getting shouted at by SWMBO, when she comes home, for going out just to (as she'd see it) get very wet

Hoping for a better day tomorrow
Off all week and its pissing it down, trying to motivate myself to go out to the shed and turbo it , swmbo wants me to paint the skirting boards ....

cyberknight

Fantastic , one day i might be able to keep up !

TigerT

Veteran
My ride yesterday started off as a short ride out for a coffee before rain arrived and ended up being my longest ever ride.

I've been seeing a personal trainer since January and following a nutrition plan with the aim of losing weight and getting fitter mainly for cycling. I've been feeling great and have done a couple of short rides this year which went well and was looking forward to a longer one. The weather forecast was looking good right up until Saturday evening, when it changed to cold and overcast instead of warm with sunny periods. I was a bit demotivated.

So I got up Sunday morning and it was indeed cloudy, but it was at least dry so I decided to go out and make up a route as I went along, I followed one of my normal routes for a while out to a local lake and then decided it was worth risking going a bit further to Rapperswil. There was a hill in the way that I've never made it all the way up which I thought would make a good test of my fitness level. That went well, the short but steep climb was conquered and I enjoyed beautiful views of the Swiss Alps in the distance all the way there. Got to Rapperswil and had Coffee and Lunch. The intention was to get the train home, but after a rest I felt good and decided to cycle home down the other side of Lake Zürich - No hills of any note until the climb out of Zürich back home that usually is enough for me, but at my door I'd done 90kms, and still felt good. I had to go for the 100 :-) So I added an extra loop to take me to 105. That was only 1km off my longest ride so I had to add 4 more to get my longest ride.

From starting off disappointed at the weather, I think I had my best ever day on a bike. Aching a bit today though!

fullsizeoutput_17d7.jpeg

Top Bottom