Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Another out today. Started off well enough, then ended in disaster. ^_^ 14 miles ridden, then bang, another visit from the P fairy. Can't do a repair on the fly as the nexus hub and disk brakes are rather awkward. So it was going to be a 2 mile walk (uphill ) home in this heat. Thank god my son came along. He dropped in on his way home from shopping to see us. He passed me, turned round and picked me up:notworthy: so i only had to walk a mile (good exercise) i suppose.

Anyway, not as much traffic as i was expecting, but the dreaded motor bike riders were out in force.

The top photo is where the puncture happened. I was sitting on a bench outside the local school, and when i started off again bam. ^_^
20180421_132907.jpg
20180421_123555.jpg
the chapel above has been closed and boarded up for years. I'm really surprised no one has turned it into a house.

20180421_125655.jpg

20180421_123425.jpg
20180421_123037.jpg

A "like" for the ride, not for the *bang* moment xxx

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another out today. Started off well enough, then ended in disaster. ^_^ 14 miles ridden, then bang, another visit from the P fairy. Can't do a repair on the fly as the nexus hub and disk brakes are rather awkward. So it was going to be a 2 mile walk (uphill ) home in this heat. Thank god my son came along. He dropped in on his way home from shopping to see us. He passed me, turned round and picked me up:notworthy: so i only had to walk a mile (good exercise) i suppose.

Anyway, not as much traffic as i was expecting, but the dreaded motor bike riders were out in force.

The top photo is where the puncture happened. I was sitting on a bench outside the local school, and when i started off again bam. ^_^
View attachment 405352 View attachment 405353 the chapel above has been closed and boarded up for years. I'm really surprised no one has turned it into a house.

View attachment 405354
View attachment 405355 View attachment 405356
A "like" for the ride, not for the *bang* moment xxx
Same from me.

Mike_P

Guru
Finally:bicycle: Decided on using the hybrid on the basis it had a better chance of staying upright if a pot hole, or more likely a pot trench, was found. Idea was to check it out, my normal checking a bike out route was clearly off bounds - the car bounced all over the place on it on what can only be described as a hole with the odd raised bit of tarmac in it across virtually the entire westbound carriageway. So north to Ripley passing across the A59 at a roundabout that is a doddle to navigate but NYCC have some improvements planned for it...
osw roundabout.jpg

Approaching Killinghall some of those houses the country apparently needs now blot the vista.
Killinghall 2.jpg

Now on the A61 I assume this driver might have seen me
bity close.jpg

Reaching Ripley I investigated a rattle and it eventually dawned on me it was simply the loose end of a light cable (the hybrid has a set of those "commuter" lights bolted to it which work via cables to/from a single battery pack). Less positive was my left thumb - it had been in contact slightly with a saw blade yesterday and changing gear was somewhat ouch!
So the outbound ride was terminated short and NCN67 was followed, joined by an access at Ripley I had not used before
NCN67 Ripley.jpg

The NCN itself is the hard surface crossing the access. After crossing the A61 it descends to an always popular location alongside the River Nidd
NCN Nidd 2.jpg

Pot hole wise there was just this cluster of them at a right turn junction thankfully on a very quite street
Pot hole 2.jpg

A very unamazing total of 8.8 miles but with two PRs ^_^
210418 map.jpg

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Nice ride down to Heybridge Basin with the club, this was to get a few club members to build up there miles, as we have some big rides coming up. Everyone done really well, especially my other half, who is flying at the moment, all that gym work has paid off for her. The tide always seems to be out when we get there, bad timing on our behalf.:laugh: But the sun was out all day my tan lines are coming on a treat. we hit the main roads on the way out as they are pretty quiet in the mornings, the return trip was all about the country lanes, great day out, ended at our local for a couple of beers and a curry, sitting in front of the box after a nice shower, will probably fall asleep in 10 mins. i feel knackered:laugh::laugh:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1522541747

Last edited:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Well, last Wednesday actually. Usually my day for a walk into town for breakfast then charity shops and walk back, sometimes along the canal. But it was just too nice, and I'd not been out for a ride this month. I needed to try out my new (to me) Garmin 810 as well.

It started out with a vague notion of a trip to the supermarket for lunch.

It would appear that Harry the bargee hasn't been around here lately, but the guys fishing with magnets have. Just wish they wouldn't leave it on the path.

0.jpg

The cafe at Fishery Wharf is doing well, as can be seen, I was using both the 810 and the eTrex 20.

1.jpg

The railway seemed particularly busy, though I only caught two trains going past here, there were two more just before I arrived and on as I left. Shame about the notice board, it is quite informative.

2.jpg
3.jpg

I'd been hearing strange noises, the tinkling of spokes I thought. There was nothing I could see on my front wheel so when I had to stop I looked at the rear, where there was a twig stuck in the derailer. I pulled it out and this guy came through the bridge.

4.jpg

The ducks seem to have stopped chasing each other around, the geese likewise, so these two may be setting up home on the bank.

5.JPG

The marina at Cow Roast, with the railway beyond. I hadn't noticed how nice it was beyond though.

6.JPG

Tring cutting, near the highest part of the towpath. The muddiest stretch by far! It's rather pleasant riding along here though. (yes, I know the time and date are wrong)

Just after the section in the video, there is a bridge high over the canal. A couple of lasses were messing about taking photos there, one lying on a parapet that is very high up. They were still there when I returned! This section up to Marsworth had a few streams running across the path.

7.JPG

Spotted this little fellow from Berkhamsted when I stopped for lunch. I'd intended to go a short way up the mainline but forgot to cross the canal and went up to the Aylesbury Arm. I was probably at my limit anyway, having extended the ride a couple of times because it was so pleasant.

8.JPG

9.JPG

The 810 worked fine, except that when I switched it off to go into the supermarket the barometer had a fit and decided the rest of the ride was below sea level!

24.6 miles max 16 avg 7.6 mph. Year to date, 44.1 miles

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Today was a first for me, as I joined what I think we can call a Group Forum Ride (with 3 of us anyway!).

@Rickshaw Phil arrived at mine and we headed off North of Shrewsbury, to meet up with @Pale Rider, who was down here for a few days.

We used familiar paths up to Heathgates, but then I cycled on some Town roads, for the first time, before we joined Ellesmere Rd, as far as Albrighton.

We then turned onto further new cycling territory and met @Pale Rider. We had a good chat and whilst we were doing so the forecast rain arrived and was heavy enough for me to don a waterproof.

We followed the lanes to Upton Magna, having a good chat as well, and saw a GB Triathlete that @Rickshaw Phil and myself know, along the way.

The section between Upton Magna and Atcham saw us meet loads of cycling groups, one set not doing us a favour by turning into a junction on our side of the road :thumbsdown:!

A quick pause at Atcham and then the climb up Chilton Lane, before I had to go my separate ways, in order to play Cricket this afternoon.

It is Bike 4 Life, today, where around 12000 motorbikes run from Shrewsbury to RAF Cosford, for charity. I could hear the cacophony of engines, as I cycled back into Shrewsbury and also had to negotiate the spectators and cars (doing stupid things and being abandoned all over the place!) as I crossed over the A5.

Despite the rain, a thoroughly enjoyable ride and made all the better by the exceedingly pleasurable company of @Pale Rider and @Rickshaw Phil.

I look forward to reading the write up of where they ended up on the rest of their ride, later on today. :thumbsup:

21.9 miles at 13.1mph avg for me

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A nice 26 miler from Barnet via Potters Bar, Brookmans Park, Welham green. Then on to Colney Heath, Hill End and into St. Albans for a coffee and cake at Cafe Roma. This is a wonderful independent coffee shop. Back via Sopwell House, London Colney, Shenley and back to Barnet.
Then into the Mitre for a couple of pints of fine ale.:bicycle:

Club ride for the .HDW.

Just realised before we set off that there was a choice, slower run to Ashridge Manor, or fastee run to Henley.So chose the latter, with minor trepidations. Early on cycling at 19.7 mph into the wind, wondered if it was the right choice, but it was ok. Went out via Dorney, skirted Twyford, through Marlow and to Henley. Glorious cafe by the river . At this point my (Di2) front mech stuck on the small ring. However continued back though small roads south, eventually picking up Drift Road and through the park.

60.72 miles @16.6 mph
1394 feet climbed.

Very enjoyable

https://www.strava.com/activities/1524649721

Top Bottom