Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Bought and fitted a few other bits for the bike, so I had to have a trundle out to be sure. Really, to put things right. So, that all worked well and if I can download the video editor onto this laptop there will be moving pictures also. Watch the space below.

Thus far I have only been brave enough to tackle one descent ( declive, I think ) from the apartment. So I descended again. Over the flyover, the ever tightening right hand bend and eventually onto the cycle path towards Beira Mar. Then, for the first time, cross two very busy roads, by means of a footbridge, and turn left in the direction of Lagoa da Conceicaon. I may just have spelt that correctly. After passing Parc de Santo Jorge the direct road starts going up. Steeply so. Climbing that, and descending the other twisty side, are joys to come. Until that day dawns, I will settle for the right turn on the road leading to a municipal park which I did not quite reach. The ride was punctuated by those stops you need when you just have to adjust that. NOW! So I turned around, having had enough of spanner interruptions, allen key and screwdriver too. Back to base still had the odd episode, not least when I took a wrong turn and spent what seemed like an eternity working out how to find me again. But it all worked out, the last ascent took me two or three metres further than last time, so all is good eleven and a half miles further on. A new squiggle, oops, map.

22042018.jpg

And a video

23rd April 2018

Just a repeat of the Beira Mar ride today, pass the bridge and ride on until reaching a Plaza Hotel where the road became distinctly urban, though quiet enough. Urban around here means a pretty poor road surface and usually narrow lanes as well. What were once called catseyes in the UK have a whole new dimension of solid here, and they are large also. Large enough to stop drivers crossing them at all, which means close passes are the order of the day. Not really a worry, I have yet to encounter aggressive driving while I am riding the bike. Twelve and a half miles in the warmth of the Brazilian sun. Lucky me!! Oh, lucky twice over, no mechanical gremlins today.

My ride today....was only virtual.

Time constraints from being on an extended “work break”, the fact that I’m still hanging after the weekend’s shenanigans with the besties up in Yorkshire and household chores reduced me to zwifting this evening.

As it was Monday night my zwift choice was an easy one, the 1940 “OCC Easy Crew” ride.

Well any trace of a hangover was swiftly removed by this sixty-minute sweatfest- and I’m not sure how it was humanly possible to leach that much water and not die!

However the ride was true to its name and the sweating was my only discomfort. High intensity intervals and good banter aplenty, a great ride even if it wasn’t what I had hoped to do. 21.9 (virtual) ones for me.
116E61E6-0E51-4FE4-9336-FB055B46BEB6.png
3ABE38E5-8BB6-4907-A25D-903030429133.jpeg
3255ECA2-3747-4668-8BEC-F75F6E5FA12A.jpeg

kapelmuur

Veteran
Yes indeed, we did as well and common sense seems to have prevailed. There are even plans now to put in a path and cycleway, linking the promenade to the bridge, so that you don’t have to climb up that nasty piece of narrow windy road to get to the bridge as current.

I'm one of the many who signed a petition to keep the bridge open, as a child in the 1950s we had a holiday cottage in Fairbourne and I used to love watching the steam trains crossing the bridge and climbing the cliffs towards Tywyn.

Later, when I ran marathons, I used to train by running from Barmouth across the bridge, along the Mawddach trail to Dollgellau and back. My favourite route ever.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A quick trip out this morning on my Condover-Atcham-Upton Magna-Shrewsbury loop, hoping to get back before the forecast rain came in. Didn't manage that unfortunately but it was otherwise a fairly pleasant ride.

20.5 miles at 13.3 mph average. Shouldn't have bothered cleaning the knockabout bike yesterday.:rolleyes:

DSC0006212.jpg

Just the one snapshot from under the shelter of the Castlefields footbridge. Not very many people out today for some reason.:rain:

xzenonuk

Veteran
got back out on the triban 500se today a shorter 12.53 mile ride and 10.5 mph average which is up from last time and had a strongish head wind on the way to broxburn, which i ended up dropping down to the granny gear at a few points.

figured i would get out today before the forcasted rain and stronger winds hit for the rest of the week, i was loving the slightly cooler weather only used a wee bit out of one water bottle this time.

triban 500se working well and good and the new wheels are holding up well, now i need to look at my rockrider 540 and work out why my back tyre keeps deflating where i store it, either the valve or a slow puncture and the chain needs a really good oil after this winter's shenannigans on it, the drive train is cleanish but the frame is manky lol :smile:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
First evening ride for the club last night, weather looked like it was going to rain, so that put a few people of. but it stayed dry for the ride. it did rain a bit when we left the pub. 5 of us met up at 6-30, did our 25 mile loop, was a bit windy, but not to cold, My other half took her new bike out for a shake down ride, today i will be fitting a slightly shorter stem, and just lower the stem and twist the bars round slightly, That will be perfect for her.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1529557517 She has the same bike as one of the other guys on the ride.
twin.PNG

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Went out aiming to get 30 or so miles in before the forecast showers arrived. A very light shower had rolled through while I was getting ready so my waterproofs went in as a precaution.

Starting off I headed up Lyth Hill and over the rough track to the top. From here I could see rain in the direction I was headed which didn't bode well. I carried on anyway but hadn't gone a mile before the rain reached me so the waterproofs went on.

By Plealey it was properly wet and I started having second thoughts about this ride. I did press on to Pontesbury but the rain wasn't letting up and I could see more showers bubbling up in the distance so I looped round the village and retraced my steps. I took the road to Longden (partly for the variation, partly because it is slightly shorter) where the rain started coming down heavier which encouraged me to press on. I had the wind helping but it was quite chilly which wasn't as helpful.

Round the foot of Lyth Hill, up the Little Lyth climb and I was glad to get back and change into some dry clothes.

Not the ride planned but I got out anyway.

16.3 miles, 12.5 mph average.

DSC0006213.jpg

Looks a bit damp in the direction I'm going. If I carry on perhaps it'll blow over?

DSC0006214.jpg

I've abandoned and heading for home. Pouring down where I am but blue sky is tantalisingly close.

DSC0006217.jpg

The Wrekin getting a drenching in the distance.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Jules H and John B were chatting as I rolled up to the Upton meet. Pete M had contacted to say his train had delayed him. Once he showed up we were underway quite quickly but some time had been lost. We headed for the Hams for Tirley where a shower gave us an excuse to sit in the porch of the church. John decided to head back a different way while we three took to the exposed run from Tredington. A nasty looking shower was tracking us and pounced as we reached Bozard's Farm. So we hid in a barn, chatting and stroking the two horses there. Soon we could continue in bright sunshine to take the slightly lumpy run by Gretton and Greet. As we headed for the cafe at Hayles Fruit Farm another shower looked like it would pounce. A steam engine on the GWR line took our minds off that and then we were there sitting and being served.

The valley we were heading for was crowned by dark and foreboding clouds. By the time we got going the clouds had departed. Again we were distracted by the steam engine heading for Toddington but another shower grabbed us. We rode through it into a fairly brisk headwind. As we went by Wormington and Dumbleton we were battered by more heavy showers. A Red Kite seemed to have picked a brief pause in the rain to fly past. We were getting quite wet and cold and then Pete's rear tyre went down. We nursed him into Little Comberton where shelter from the worst would be available. Sorted we battled that headwind as we gradually reduced the distance homeward. We still had some showers but these had eased. For the first time in a very very long time I got down on the drops. Yes - that wind was tough. Pete was slowing too, not helped by his tyre which hadn't been pumped up enough. We made it to Upton where we parted for our separate ways. Despite the conditions we were mostly in good spirits. Character building stuff. 75 smiles and my longest ride of 2018 so far.

Mr Celine

Discordian
According to the met office when I looked at lunchtime the frequent April showers were supposed to die down from 4:00pm with the chance of precipitation at 5% after that. (Or is that the chance of staying dry?)
I got home and checked the weather radar. A large shower had just missed to the south, all the showers were moving west to east and there were no more on the way. Except for that tiny blob over Ayr, which is miles away and will have died out long before it gets anywhere near.

upload_2018-4-25_21-27-15.png

It was a lot colder than last weekend, 10C, so back to winter longs and windstopper jacket over two other layers. I headed out aiming to get a 30 mile loop in before dinner. By now the sun was out, which was enough to take the edge off the cold westerly headwind through Selkirk and up Ettrickdale. While climibing the Swire the sun disappeared behind a rather large and growing black cloud. I didn't bother stopping at the top for a summit photo, my fingers were two cold anyway. On the descent I could see it was now raining further up the valley. Turning for home I now had a stiff tailwind and did my best to outrun the rain, 25mph or so for about three miles before it caught me anyway.

rogue shower.png

On return to Selkirk the monsoon had passed over to be replaced with a spectacular rainbow. Not worth stopping for a photo as the foreground would have been the sewage works.
29 miles at 14.5 mph. The map (without any bloody clouds) -

upload_2018-4-25_21-46-19.png

Old jon

Guru
Still finding my way around here, and it looks like quite a long task. This is a good thing, of course, but this morning I just took the easy option which is also very scenic in this bright weather we are enjoying. Some fitness is returning also, even on the twelve and a half miles today it felt like easier pedalling and a bit faster too. All good.

If you check the video, even the cycle track is lumpy. Crossing the Rio Itacorubi, about 15 seconds in, needs reduced speed and quite a bit of a lookout for big bumps. Something else to look out for is the fishermen, who were absent this morning but I do see them often. Throwing nets into the water and hopefully catching enough fish to feed them and their family or even sell. I did see one lass haggling over the price of fish . . .

Must explore for some other routes to ride, but just now I am happy to be riding. The map has been seen before, so is resting until a new ( ish ) ride appears.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I tried again to get my ride to Melverley done, with more success today. There were still a few showers about first thing so I used the knockabout bike again in the anticipation of getting wet. The bigger issue though is the wind which is quite strong today.

Browsing the map before setting out I realised that with the odd shape of this loop I'd have longer with the wind directly behind me if I did it anti-clockwise, so I set off round the edge of Shrewsbury and out to Montford Bridge.

I was starting off at the rush hour so the cyclepaths were fairly busy with kids on their way to school, but the roads were even busier and crawling in places. I caught and overtook a couple of cyclists at Bicton then after Montford Bridge was onto quieter roads to Little Ness where I turned directly into the wind for the first time and suddenly felt like my brakes had stuck on. Another rider overtook me just by the military camp at Pentre and although he didn't charge off into the distance, did ease away until I lost sight of him just before The Royal Hill.

At Crew Green I decided to vary the route and climbed up into the hills on the way to Wollaston. It's a fairly demanding climb but not much worse than riding into the headwind had been. Having got over the climb and turned away from the wind, progress improved. At Westbury I turned so the wind was directly behind me and had a fabulous assisted run for the three miles to Nox, cruising at 24/25 mph most of the way and touching 30 in places.:hyper: I passed a couple of other cyclists coming the other way who were going somewhat slower but seemed cheerful enough regardless.

The climb at Shorthill was no bother today and I matched my fastest ever speed on this bike of 36 mph into the dip at Westley.^_^

34.3 miles this trip at 13.5 mph average. I managed to miss all the showers and better still, with the strong wind the roads were mostly dry so the bike is almost as clean at the end of the ride as it was at the start for the first time in months.

It's been of those rides that really made me feel alive and I can't help wondering how quick I could have gone if I'd used one of my better bikes.:addict:

DSC0006219.jpg

Leaving Shrewsbury - some good displays of blossom.

DSC0006221.jpg

Crossing the Severn near Crew Green. Some showers in the distance and the blustery wind is rippling the water.

DSC0006222.jpg

Climbing up into the hills above Crew Green. This is only about a mile from the location in the previous picture but is such a contrast in landscape.

DSC0006223.jpg

Looking back down to the Severn flood plain and the Welsh hills beyond. I've climbed a reasonable way.

DSC0006226.jpg

Nearly home now and the view from Lyth Hill looks much more pleasant than the same time yesterday.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
My legs were a bit tired after yesterday's outing but Mrs 26 wanted a ride. So I saddled up and we headed out for the Castlemorton lanes. Over the Marsh went well as did the jink to Bushley. Mrs 26 decided we should stop at the Mythe for coffee. She offered to pay so no grumbles from me.

We chatted to some riders from Winchcombe before we took to the lanes for Twyning. Roadworks blocked our way. We took a bit of a ride around the village green to see what was what at the river before having a look at the roadworks from a different angle. We found a way through. A couple of riders on the other side were wondering so we said what we had done. Big smiles - they wouldn't need to go a very long way around now. We continued past the White Rabbit and before the bridge we managed to hit the roadwork traffic jam at just the moment the temporary lights were green. We stopped in Upton to get some maps for our upcoming hols before we took the standard run back. Nice wee outing with my other half although that wind was still blowing unhelpfully well. 36 smiles.

kapelmuur

Veteran
got back out on the triban 500se today a shorter 12.53 mile ride and 10.5 mph average which is up from last time and had a strongish head wind on the way to broxburn, which i ended up dropping down to the granny gear at a few points.

What do people consider to be a 'granny gear'?

The lowest gear on my stolen Trek triple was 30 x 32, the replacement Triban 540 has 36 x 28 and my 1970 Italian Eroica bike had 42 x 28 as its lowest gear - very hard work in the Derbyshire hills!

Obviously 30 x 32 is low for a road bike and 36 x 28 is OK on the flat Cheshire terrain where I do most of my riding. But I will not be able to pedal up 25% cobbled climbs with it on my annual visit to Flanders.

Top Bottom