Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Nice ride if a tad windy - Blaby - Countesthorpe - Wiloughby Waterleys -Ashby Magna - South Kilworth - Cold Ashby - Thornby Naseby - Sibbetoft - Theddingworth - Lauguton - Saddington - Fleckney - Kilby - Foston - Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby...That makes 285Km for the month so far (excluding commuting) ....alas it look pretty wet from now on so that's probably it. All on my Ti bike which had its chainstays transplanted after I discovered a crack in one of them last year. Rides beautifully!

gavgav

Guru
Sunny but windy evening, as I went for a short ride after a rubbish day at work.

Followed my usual Town route, using the Carbon, through Sutton Farm Estate, where an idiot driver squeezed between me and a works lorry, to the point where I had to swerve to avoid his mirror hitting me. :cursing: Gave him a volley and chased him down as he slowed for the pedestrian crossing, to give him a gesture. Not overly proud I did so, but after the day I’ve had, he picked the wrong moment.

Continued up the cycle paths to Heathgates, passing long queues of traffic and then went through Castlefields, along the Riverside towpath, into The Quarry, where lots of runners and dog walkers were enjoying the sunshine.

I was cycling into the strong and gusty wind now, and it was hard work! Next was Porthill, Gains Park and Copthorne, where there were more long traffic queues, possibly an accident on the A5 bypass?

Finally turned out of the wind through Nobold and Meole Brace, where I encountered a pedestrian on her mobile phone, completely oblivious to the world around her, almost fetching me off and then stepping in front of a car!

12.7 miles at 12.2mph avg

xzenonuk

Veteran
What do people consider to be a 'granny gear'?

The lowest gear on my stolen Trek triple was 30 x 32, the replacement Triban 540 has 36 x 28 and my 1970 Italian Eroica bike had 42 x 28 as its lowest gear - very hard work in the Derbyshire hills!

Obviously 30 x 32 is low for a road bike and 36 x 28 is OK on the flat Cheshire terrain where I do most of my riding. But I will not be able to pedal up 25% cobbled climbs with it on my annual visit to Flanders.

i just mean the front smallest gear on the triple ring but i have no idea about ratios etc :smile:

Squeezed another one in, a 37 miler flat and fast around the south Derbyshire/ NW Leicestershire lanes on the Thursday social.

Meeting up at the Crewe and Harpur in Swarkestone we embarked on what was to be a “chain gang” ride. Never done it before, but one of the lads put a link to a video in the group chat prior to the ride so I got the gist of what was to occur.

“I can handle that,” I confidently thought.....less than a mile into the ride the other four lads went for it. Such was the gulf in ability between them and me I was doomed from the start and not quite able to hold a wheel which set the tone for the remainder of the ride! That said, they were good enough to smash it in sections for a bit and then wait for me although I suspect they were more glad of the rest rather than being courteous! At one stage down a quiet back lane I was able to get involved with the chain gang and the benefits were quickly evident. That got broken up soon after by oncoming vehicles.

Even though I was struggling to keep up I could see early on that I was on for a very good pace (by my standards anyway) and so i did my own thing because I knew at this stage I couldn’t quite keep up with the others at the pace they were going.

The middle 10 miles were a slog as I was effectively solo into a relentless headwind and try as I might I couldn’t catch the lads.

There was a moment where one of the lads nearly got wiped out by some impatient tw4t in a vectra who had jumped a red light and then realised he couldn’t quite get in front of my mate in time and his arm was nearly taken straight off by the idiot. A couple of well timed hand gestures later and we soldiered on.

Eventually the wind direction favoured us at just the right time and I was able to pull off a 5 mile flat averaging 22 mph for that section which ultimately proved quite fruitful in my objectives for this ride.

So 2h 02 in I did 37 miles exactly, averaging 18.2 mph overall. That, for someone of my calibre, is staggering progress considering I normally do 15-16. I guess although I couldn’t quite hang with the guys on this occasion the fact I was out with stronger riders spurred me on and boosted my average regardless.

37 big windy smiley ones for me today, and another point on the board.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1533224983

https://www.strava.com/activities/1533224983

Last edited:

galaxy

Veteran
Working away for 4 days ive brought my Galaxy in the back of my van. 18 smiles each way to Farnborough from Reading. A quick visit into Asda to buys a salad for dinner. Some young Lass walked straight of the pavement with earphones in each ear talking away on her fone, almost taking each of us out. The look i got was amazing considering she was in the wrong. Made it back to Van just in time for getting dark, was lucky, as i did`nt have any lights.

Some young Lass walked straight of the pavement with earphones in each ear talking away on her fone, almost taking each of us out. The look i got was amazing considering she was in the wrong.

Oh I can relate to this- similar to when some tool cuts you up at a roundabout or pulls out of a junction on you (whether riding or driving!)then looks at you as if to say YOU’RE in the wrong!

And that’s why I’m slowly becoming not a people person. :cursing:

Had intended a ride today (days-off Fri/Sat), but got thrown a curve-ball
Gas-man here, to service boiler & daughter to pick-up from College at 13:00, then SWMBO @ 15:00

So, if the Gas is gone in good time I might go out in the car, & follow part of the Tour de Yorkshire route, for (Fridays) Stage 2
Even though I know the roads that they'll be on, it's more a case of looking to find a good photographic location

Oh I can relate to this- similar to when some tool cuts you up at a roundabout or pulls out of a junction on you (whether riding or driving!)then looks at you as if to say YOU’RE in the wrong!

And that’s why I’m slowly becoming not a people person. :cursing:

I know it too, this is why I'm considering one of these for my tea-mug, at work........................
Colour to be decided

https://teespring.com/en-GB/themore...c=s-tsandgiggles#pid=527&cid=101980&sid=front

560.jpg

Old jon

Guru
It is faintly amazing, the collection of things I need to be comfortable. The little video camera, the Garmin, spare inner tube ( I have only been able to buy one as yet ), musical instruments. The list seems infinite at times. Add a track pump to it. Bought yesterday ‘cos the tyres were not hard at all. From the Decathlon shop, it was used this morning, efficient enough and it seems to be made entirely of plastic. No corrosion problems I hope.

The ride today. If I look west from the balcony there is a hill with comms masts scattered around the top. I am told there is a tunnel from the beach road, under that hill and the road continues in the direction of home. So I thought I would look for it. Off I pedalled, or rather freewheeled down one of the hills that lead away from here. The usual ride to the start of the cycle track and along at the side of the beach ( such a different ride, for me ) towards the rusty old bridge, which may just feature in the next video.
Not in this one

All the while looking out for the tunnel. Yup, I saw it. And attempted to find a road leading in that direction. Nope, nothing I could ride on, or even see a way to. I wish I could remember where I read or heard it but, “You can’t get there from here. You should have started somewhere else.” fits the bill. A Fred Wedlock song might be a source . . .

So, the ride intention came to nothing except twelve miles of really pleasant pedalling ending with that hill I descended to leave the apartment, only this time going up. Not yet all of the way. It will happen though.

You may have seen this map before

27042018.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I parked the car at the corner of Burrator reservoir, but then spent the next 10 minutes fiddling with my derailleur jockey wheels, the Cambridgeshire clag had seized them up a bit.
Off I went again in leg warmers and full finger gloves. The first bird I heard was a cuckoo.....
I rode through Sheepstor, I love this hamlet, so pretty. Then my climb started. At the steep bit a ewe and lamb were in the road, they ran away, up around the bend. Then they shot back pursued by a roadie!
Then I spotted a long tailed and bodied bird perched in a dead tree, certainly looked like a cuckoo... then one flew over my head and joined the first one in the tree.
My climb up to Eylesbarrow was marred by me having to put a foot down for the first time in 4, a rock rolled really awkwardly and I had to steady myself. Not bad I suppose, last time I was up here I went over the handlebars!
The view was a bit murky today
IMG_0997.JPG

On to Nuns Cross, this is where I turned back last time after a blow out on my rear tyre
IMG_0999.JPG

I continued on past Hessary Tor and groups of youth preparing for the 10 tors
IMG_1001.JPG

I carried on to Princetown, the campers at the Plume of Feathers impressed me, I wouldn't call it camping weather!

Looks like I'm headed to prison....
IMG_1002.JPG

Then I doubled back on myself, turning at the way marker for Burrator. By heck, my bingo wings got a damn good shaking for the next couple of miles!

IMG_1004.JPG

There be Burrator, I can smell me pastie in the car!
IMG_1007.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

Just here a bird flew into a tree not 50 yards away. It cuckooed away for a few minutes. That was 3 for the day.
I continued my decent down to Norsworthy Bridge and then did a lap and a half of the reservoir
IMG_1011.JPG

Wood Sorrel
IMG_1017.JPG

Primrose
IMG_1018.JPG

Only 17 miles but it was lovely, every single millimetre of it.

Big thanks to @ChrisEyles for being nice!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1536380156

Had hoped to ride today
But..............
After getting back from the ParkRun, SWMBO told me was going to clear/sort-out the shed & garage:eek:
I could go out, but, then she'd just dispose of what she thought fit....................................

As it turned out, other things happened instead, such as trip to IKEA, (wife to) sister-in-laws, daughter to Cathedral, & a collection of offspring about 16:30

So, no ride, & back to work in the morning:headshake:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Today's ride has been on, then off, then on again as the forecasters changed their minds about whether it would rain or not. I'd pretty much given up on the idea but then the update this morning showed it should stay dry so I hastily got my stuff together and got out just after 9am.

I was aiming for Ellesmere as I'd be riding into the wind to start and have it helping on the way home. The roads weren't too busy at this time on a Saturday but that didn't stop one small van driver from coming unnecessarily close when the rest of the road was clear.:dry:

After Montford Bridge I was onto the quieter roads I like, heading for Little Ness and Baschurch. On the way I encountered a set of temporary traffic lights which changed for me just as I was about to stop. Always nice when that happens.^_^ Shortly afterwards a lorry driver made up for the earlier van by waiting patiently for a gap then giving loads of room. He got a wave of thanks.

The headwind wasn't too bad and I made fairly good progress the rest of the way to Ellesmere, going through the town and round to The Mere then heading on my way again along a couple of the narrow streets, back past the marina and heading for Whitemere, Colemere and Lyneal.

I used the knockabout bike expecting the roads to be wet and muddy after it rained much of the day yesterday, but it wasn't until after Lyneal that I found water across the road and even then it wasn't a lot. No complaints from me about that.;)

My usual back-road route to Wem was pleasantly quiet and by now I had the northerly wind directly behind me so I got on quite nicely. I had an annoying MGIF pass on the climb up Palms Hill where a small white van (again) scooted past in the face of oncoming traffic and swerved across in front of me.:angry: I wasn't impressed and nor was the driver of the lorry coming the other way. I think we both made our feelings felt.

Thankfully there were no further incidents like this for the rest of the trip. I paused for a bite to eat by Moreton Corbet castle then the wind continued to help me along through Shawbury, Roden, Rodington, Withington, Upton Magna, Atcham and Cross Houses.

I realised that I was going to be short of the metric century I thought I might manage but I could easily add a bit extra that would give me a pleasing enough round figure, so I headed to Cantlop, Condover and over Lyth Hill to finish off.

60.4 miles this time at 13.8 mph average.

DSC0006228.jpg

A typically rural scene on the way to Ellesmere.

DSC0006231.jpg

Activity on the canal.

DSC0006232.jpg

The birds aren't bothered about my presence at The Mere.

DSC0006235.jpg

Nobody sailing at Whitemere but a motorboat is out pottering around.

DSC0006238.jpg

Moreton Corbet Castle.

DSC0006241.jpg

Cronkhill. Not far to home now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom