Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
First and foremost, well done to @13 rider and @Lilliburlero on their respective sportive efforts, big miles and averages done by powerful riders :notworthy:

Not to be outdone (on the sportive effort anyhow!) I took part in the annual Tour of the Peak sportive. There were five of us in total- one dropped out- and the plan was for three to do the long one and two of us the medium one. It ended up three on the medium and two on the long!

The weather proved exactly why I never believe weather forecasts- especially the BBC’s “end of the world is nigh”- style ones and the predicted rain thankfully never materialised and gave way to beautiful sunshine and a few clouds!

My plan was very simple- just go the distance! No time for average speeds and all that just survive the course!

Two of the lads shot straight off and that was the last I saw of them, so the remaining three stuck together for a while. Both Rob and Martin are incredibly strong riders and I repeatedly said to them “don’t hold back on my account, get yourselves off” to which they both replied “nah, we’re good”

....until we reached Castleton. A lumpy 10 mile slog had given way to a long descent and their super aero steeds left mine for dust! And just to put a perspective on this I hit 42mph myself on said drop!

Then came major climb no 1, winnats pass. A 2 mile ish 20%er crossing over two cattle grids to mark either end of the segment. Changing my rear cassette to a 30 was a very good choice, and my legs coped well with the new gearing up it. At least until 100 yards or so from the second grid! The tightness in my chest returned and I had to stop for 40-60 seconds to get my breath and so for the second year I was defeated. That said I managed to keep riding for the photographers so it looks like I made it!! :whistle:

By now Rob and Martin were long gone so I was Billy No Mates through the lumpy roads to the feed station at Macclesfield where I met back up with them. The feed station was very well stocked this time as opposed to last year and so we refuelled and made our way for the second half of the journey. The cat and fiddle was the next major climb and was immediately after the feed station.

I don’t mind admitting I am a hopeless climber however even by my standards this really was a piece of p1ss! It was four or five miles of very gradual ascent and I even got up it in my middle chainring! I kept up with Rob and Martin for the first couple of miles but their climbing prowess soon shone through again and I was left as Billy No Mates for a second time.
What was interesting was that I was overtaken quite early on this climb by some Cheshire club riders only for me to spin past them five miles later! Once that was done it was fairly plain sailing with no more major climbing of note save for one at Monyash and I managed to draft behind a couple of lads to power up it. They were quite pleasant and I ended up sticking with them for the remaining 10 miles which was pretty much all downhill. I crossed the line in 4hrs 43 on my garmin although I was on 61.5 miles so I rode around the car park until I hit exactly 62.14 miles to get my metric century! Official time came in at 5h11 as they measure total time not moving time. A great day, great ride and great company.

View attachment 409081

At the end

View attachment 409082

Winnats pass
View attachment 409083

Prepping the bike

View attachment 409085

An incredibly happy young (ish) man
https://www.strava.com/activities/1569648749

Check out Tour of the Peak 2018 on Relive! https://www.relive.cc/view/1569648749

Massive respect to you buddy for doing this ride, even though we know you`ve had some health problems recently as @13 rider says :bravo:.

Not sure I`v ever been called a powerful rider.... an easy gear grinder is a more accurate description, I think the Sun as got to you :sun::laugh:

Well done again Chris, great effort :thumbsup::bicycle:

I think the Sun as got to you :sun::laugh:

CC5E326C-5F52-4276-AFDF-BEDF985B30A4.jpeg

I think you might be right!! :laugh:

Decided to investigate a bridleway that I have been meaning to do for some time. So dragged the Hybrid from its slumbers and set off vIa Ripley to Nidd Lane much like last Monday but used the cycle paths rather than the A59 to get to Old Spring Well Roundabout. Nidd Lane was its typical slumbering self unlike last Monday, then just before reaching the Brearton turning I took the bridleway aiming for Burton Leonard. Um.. I do not recall a church at this end of the village.
View attachment 409079
Carried on, the main road at the end looked oddly busy - as I reached it I realised it was the A61 and I was at South Stainley:ohmy:
Retraced my route to a junction on the Bridgeway and took the other fork. After some distance I grinded to halt when I realised I was heading for a private property only and the actual route was across the ford (or footbridge). The ewe with its lambs had obviously seen it all before.
View attachment 409084
Wheeled the bike over the footbridge and was greeted with a couple of stiff climbs therefore, one nice smooth tarmac, the other not.
View attachment 409086 View attachment 409087
Eventually, and far longer than envisaged, Burton Leonard was reached
View attachment 409088
Headed north to Bishop Monkton
View attachment 409089
Then east towards Roecliffe/Boroughbridge before heading south, via a further bridleway to Copgrove ("cut through reverse" on Strava) then south to Knaresborough and a ride along the Nidd Gorge. As normal on a sunny Sunday it was popular and progress was rather slow.
View attachment 409097
NCN636, Bilton Lane, A59 homewards.

28.6 miles, 1499ft climbed
View attachment 409105
Would love to ride that way on, we have some dear friends who have moved to Bishop Monkton from Knaresborough and it is just idyllic.

Katherine

Guru
Well after 7 weeks on cleats, today was the day I fell off.. Twice ! I didn't forget to unclip, I just couldn't pull my feet out in time. So it's back to unclipping before all junctions with my left foot flailing. Yes, they are on the loosest setting!

On a positive note, it was another beautiful day out on the bike. Good company and Cheshire lanes at their best. We went to the Seven Sisters ice cream farm, south of Knutsford. So I had a most delicious rhubarb ice cream to make me feel better. (the coffee and apricot and pistachio flapjack were also good).

IMG_20180513_115651407.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Here's a long winded one....

A few months ago we were due to set sail this morning on a week long tour that went

Bristol Monmouth Ledbury Tewkesbury Cirencester Marlborough Bath Bristol

But then our mate Crazy Al announced a birthday party for last night (Saturday) so I hastily changed the plan....

Hardwick Oundle Keyworth Stamford Kings Lynn Wells Next The Sea Downham Market Hardwick- All accommodation booked.

At 4.30 yesterday I received a call to say that my mum had had a fall on Friday night at 9pm and had been on the kitchen floor ever since.

So we changed our plans. Up the A14 and M6 we went.

Once here we selfishly had a 10 mile spin on road bikes before going to see my mum.

We saw Llamas, Emus and guess what.....? In Little Stanley, opposite the village hall we saw about 10 reindeer! Unbelievable!

A town/country/town ride of only 10 miles
IMG_1247.JPG

In this ^ bucolic image the roar of the M53 is deafening!

Well, my mum is still in the fight but she's had a rough few days. Bless her cotton socks!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1569795986

Last edited:
HDW Club ride today
Was supposed to be Arborfield, but no one wanted to go there, so eventually we decided on Box Hill.
We did a good ride including the smaller Headley Loop.
BCk via Ranmore Common, which is a much tougher climb than Box Hill.

63.12 miles @ 15.8 mph
I have 2769 feet climbed, though most others made it over 3000
https://www.strava.com/activities/1569503040

On the way to the start I heard a crash and there was a bus that had crashed into the iron railway bridge on Thames Street
No emergency services were there yet
Apparently one of our club had seen the crash and called them
He said there had been one man upstairs, but he only had fairly minor cuts
Glass was everywhere

gavgav

Guru
Oh ‘eck. Rather too much enthusiasm today. I left home with the intention of riding further along the road I found on Monday. The legs were doing well, both cycle track and roads were quiet, so I just went for it. Six or seven miles along the front wheel found a patch of sand on a left hand bend, by the time I had straightened it out, about half a blink of an eyelid, both wheels were in the gutter. Like a few around here, both sides of the gutter are vertical and deep and, as I discovered, not possible to ride out of. I flew instead, the bike was close to me but we were not attached. A group of cyclists stopped, and after the language was sorted out one of them called my girlfriend, and an ambulance. Bike into car, me into hospital and in a remarkably short space of time my gravel rash was cleaned, skull tomographed and scapula, clavicle and nearby other bits X rayed. Broken collarbone, which is one of those things really.

All credit to the Brazilian emergency services, the free ambulance, and the fire brigade, are run by the military. I was taken to a public hospital, which was busy. All the staff were so very good and cheerful, helpful even. Quite a number spoke English, a good thing for me, ‘cos I have very little Portuguese. Once our lass arrived things language related were a lot easier, but there were no problems, just laughter. Oh aye, we are really too old to be girlfriend and boyfriend, but one of the staff asked where my girlfriend was. Guess it will stick. Still grinning, it is so wonderful when the nasty bits have been sorted.
Just caught up with this @Old jon Hope you are on the mend soon

galaxy

Veteran
It was a beautiful morning; sunny, light winds but cool enough to be comfortable. It was perfect weather for a lumpy bike ride. It was the kind of weather where you need to keep your gob shut unless you like your protein flying, fighting and full of formic acid. More of that later.

Anyone remember the Durham Beast? It was a short lived sportive (I think) that ran from 2011 to 2014 (I think). Lots of gratuitous climbing, not my sort of thing because I'm big and heavy and don't do sportives but that's the area I was heading for. Over Waldridge Fell, down to where Waldridge drift mine was. Up to Daisy Hill, down to where Sacriston pit was. Up to Sacriston cross roads, down to where Witton Gilbert pit was. There's a pattern forming and it went on like this for most of the ride.

At Langley Park they were mending the road. Had to make a quick decision, walk through the roadworks or MTFU and take the steep route up to Esh. At Esh junction another cyclist was approaching from the left. 'Alright?', he asks. 'Until I climbed that f****r I was' I gasped as he rode away.

From there to Inkerman I saw only a handful of cars and one other cyclist. Most of the time the only sounds were my own wheels and the twittering of Goldfinches. It doesn't get much better than that.

At Inkerman I stopped to have a look at the beehive coke ovens, a link to the ride I did last week which included a visit to the winding engines at Rookhope. The iron ore that was dragged up that incline was brought to Inkerman/Tow Law by rail and smelted using the coke from these ovens. At the time they were built Tow Law was a hamlet with such a small population that Welsh miners and Scottish and Irish foundrymen had to be brought in to exploit the mineral wealth of the area. Can you imagine what the Saturday nights were like when that lot hit town on with their pockets full of money?

View attachment 408890

Dropped down towards Wolsingham but turned off to climb back up Viewley hill, passed the Brown Horse and headed towards Satley but took the road to Salters Gate before I got there. The quiet lanes I'd been on now seemed busy. The only other traffic along here was a horse.

Belting down towards the A68 I had a grin like a crack in a pie crust and that's where the flying protein comes in. A bee, straight between my lips. Before I could spit it out it had stung me on the bottom lip. Ouch!

Still enjoying the ride though and by now I'm on grass grown roads that see very little traffic. There are signs all over warning of unsuitability tor HGVs and the folly of trusting your Satnav. It really is fantastic cycling countryside.

View attachment 408891

Had to endure the A691 for a mile and a half but that too was quiet and I was soon at the turn for Hanging Stone. This was the last sustained climb of the ride so I gave it what for and reached the top with my tongue clattering in the front spokes. Only eight miles to home, nearly all down hill.

Easily the best ride of the year so far - 51 miles 3,850ft ascent

View attachment 408892
My Old Stomping ground Love cycling round there.

galaxy

Veteran
HDW Club ride today
Was supposed to be Arborfield, but no one wanted to go there, so eventually we decided on Box Hill.
We did a good ride including the smaller Headley Loop.
BCk via Ranmore Common, which is a much tougher climb than Box Hill.

63.12 miles @ 15.8 mph
I have 2769 feet climbed, though most others made it over 3000
https://www.strava.com/activities/1569503040

On the way to the start I heard a crash and there was a bus that had crashed into the iron railway bridge on Thames Street
No emergency services were there yet
Apparently one of our club had seen the crash and called them
He said there had been one man upstairs, but he only had fairly minor cuts
Glass was everywhere
Love that climb up over Ranmore common

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A world tour of the Wiirral today. A beautiful sunny morning, but with a northerly wind to give a bit of freshness. Out to Capenhurst, followed by a massive tractor that wouldn't overtake, then past Eureka cafe before turning down to Puddington. I had to stop to water the plants, here is the view to Shotton steel works and Wales
IMG_1248.JPG

On through the ever gorgeous Burton, past Ness Gardens and a stop at my brothers house to hand over a key.
We carried on to Heswall and out the other side, a nice decent to West Kirby and a much needed climb to warm back up!
We stopped at the boating lake for an ice cream
IMG_1250.JPG

We then rolled through the well heeled Hoylake, on into Moreron and around to New Brighton. There were a couple of terns fishing.
IMG_1254.JPG

IMG_1258.JPG

^We sat in the sun here and ate a panini , there were pensioners everywhere!
IMG_1260.JPG

The promenade at Egremont was deserted which was a real bonus, Paddy'swigwam and the Liver Building coming into view. Then we were dazzled
IMG_1268.JPG

Around Seacombe ferry and a pic of the scouse skyline
IMG_1270.JPG

Then the ride got gritty and industrial. I enjoyed it though, memories of my grandad flooding back, spending time with him and my mum and dad in various places. I was reeling off stories to Jo.
Through Pot Sunlight, Bromborough Industrial estate and Eastham Woods.
This is a memory for both of us, Thomas as a toddler, Bruno chasing sticks, Thomas chasing Bruno....
Down and up Rivacre Valley, as a kid this was like cycling a mountain....!
And back to my mums. Almost 45 cracking miles in wonderful Wirral sunshine.
We might go Welsh tomorrow.....

https://www.strava.com/activities/1571412127

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
:hyper::bicycle:i got out also.The plan was Embsay Steam Railway near Bolton Abbey.So off i set Otley first stop,a latte,why not.Then over the road to buy a cycling t-shirt from Wharefdale Embroidery great quality and good prices.Then to buy a pie at Weegmanns,then in to the Park to eat said pie,in memory of our Vernon.
weegmans.jpg
Anyway on i went up and down,till i got to Ilkley,where the muscles around my knees were aching.It's only my third ride since July last year.Sat and had a sarnie,and decided to return to Otley for another latte.I then noticed the power draining from my phone dow from 100 to 27,i got to Otley and turned it off.A rest and then home 32 miles,a good day out.Tomorrow the Canal path,going to try and run the phone on battery saver,see if it runs ok,otherwise i have had an idea about a power bank while i'm out.Photos later.Great day.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Didn't go out yesterday as I was busy patching holes in my new (2nd hand) tent. I now own a Coleman Avior X2 AND and an X3 ^_^.

As I locked the front door this morning I could feel the sun warming my arms and back and decided to put the long sleeve jersey away for now. As I pootled along Montserrat Rd at 9am the wind hit me with a fair bite. Dammit! I figured I'd warm up climbing Chorely Old Rd. I did. I was descending towards Horwich when I decided to take a little detour around Ridgmont Park for a change.
Through Horwich's side streets, into Rivington through bridleway and fields, past the reservoirs, along the lane, into Limbrick and past Wheelton
20180514_104907.jpg
"Moo"? Yeah well same to you you burger on legs.

before a stop on Denham Ln for a short break.
20180514_105753.jpg
Brindle followed then it was through Gregson Lane and into Higher Walton.
A slog up Kittingborne brow, missing a turn off in School Lane and dragging through a series of bloody housing estates before a monotonous drearyfest along the A6. This really was killing me.
The GPX route had been recorded years earlier from a bike club ride and saved as I enjoyed the first half. The return journey was UGH. As I sat on a bench munching lunch, I decided to live dangerously and let the etrex plot a route back to the L&L Canal. Much nicer than the A6.
To my surprise, the litle orange box devised a fairly nice route along paths and quiet roads to where I was moo'd at earlier and soon had me in Wheelton. My chosen waypoint was at a different entry to the canal than where I was but I realised I could get on the towpath here...so I did. Cue cockup no.1.
This is where most people would turn off the routing and carry on in the correct direction. Not muggins here. I continued to follow the pink line wondering why the canal was on my right. 1/3 mile later I stop to try something. Set map to north instead of track up. :huh: Och you dozy bald headed dim witted dipstick!!! I'd only been going north instead of south. DUH!
Auto routing cancelled I turned around and headed toward Haigh Hall.
After a few stops to adjust saddle angle and have a brew I reached my exit from the canal. The path looked a bit rough but nothing I couldn't handle. Engage mountain bike mode and power up the slight incline and over the little step. The front wheel hit the step and the bike stopped dead in its tracks. Again, I failed to unclip and was dumped on my side against a tree surrounded by nettles. Lovely. After clambering to my feet I heard a crack and noticed my glasses were not on my face. Looking down, they were under my left cleated foot. Broken. FFS! 5 years I've had them.
The outer lens was snapped and the nose bridge that houses the inner prescription lens had also snapped. These glasses are no longer made. :sad:
I have my doubts but I'll try gluing them tomorrow.
The bike was pushed over in annoyance and ended up with the left sti unit bent out of place.
That fixed I set off up Pendlebury Ln towards Haight Hall. It took forever.
Wigan Rd, Bolton Rd and Lostock Ln were taken with more care than usual as I was having trouble spotting potholes. Thankfully, Sputnik rims are near bombproof.
The Middlebrook Trail was as usual a bugfest and Victoria Rd was taken along for the most part along the footpath. Boot Ln and home for just gone 4pm.
Nearly 45 miles today in glorious sunshine. My longest for quite some time. Little by little my endurance is building up again. Wish I could say the same for my strength.
The Vantages handling has really tried me today though. A short shoulder check had me in the middle of a lane with a bus heading straight for me.
Off to Spa Cycles on Saturday to test ride their 48cm steel tourer and a family member loan to buy the frame and fork if it agrees with me. ^_^

T
Looked at the forecast for today before turning in last night - pretty much rain right through to late afternoon, so I set the alarm for a bit later.

Woke up this morning to the sun bursting through the clouds and by the time I'd sorted myself out and had some breakfast it was blue skies all round and barely a cloud in sight...

So it would have been rude not to go for a ride, even if my legs were grumbling a bit after yesterday. Despite the sun shining it was still a bit cool, so I added arm warmers to the shorts and s/s top and set off up Coal Road (again). onto the A58 and having enjoyed it so much yesterday stayed on from Red Hall, all the way through Scarcroft and Bardsey to Collingham - virtually all downhill and with the roads quiet all good fun. I'm not sure I'd want to ride it at peak times during the week, but it's been difficult to fault this weekend. :okay:
And the advantage of all the downhilliness was an average speed of 28mph over the mile between Scarcroft and Bardsey :hyper:
Into Collingham and across the bridge to Linton for the usual ups and downs, then into Wetherby and down to the river for a breather and a couple of photos:
View attachment 409010 View attachment 409011

It had warmed up a bit, so arm warmers off and up that sharp incline out of the car park and across the A1(M) bridge on Walton Road, assisted by the wind, then down to Thorp Arch and across the bridge to Boston Spa where a left / right on Main Street saw me heading for Clifford.
Through there and down the hill to Bramham, then up and across the A1(M) bridge and the long way round to Thorner via Milner Lane.
The rapid descent into the village and along Main Street, deciding to tackle Van Zyl Hill instead of the usual route via Carr Lane.
Eventually I reached the top and turned onto Skeltons Lane where I got the only stupid pass of the day from a twit in a Transit , immediately followed by an even closer pass from the caravan they were towing...it was close enough that I could have opened the door and gone in to make a cup of tea - maybe I do need to buy a camera...:eek:
Anyway, idiot avoided, it was onto Coal Road and then local roads down to home.

23.58 miles (37.95km) in 1h 46m at an average of 13.2mph with 1,138ft climbed.

One fool aside, another great ride and while I wouldn't choose to attempt parts of the route at other times, it's always nice to have something different in the bank. I can't believe how wrong the forecast was for today, but it would have been rude to pass up the chance of a ride in such near perfect weather - long may it continue.

And to end, the map:
View attachment 409015
That duck sign reminded me of many years ago when our kids were young and we were visiting Windermere. The kids were throwing the ducks some bread and a fella working nearby seeing us photographing them suggested we tried to get the sign in the photo ! . Yep you've guessed it the same sign.

Top Bottom