Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
After a few days in Cardiff I got the Dawes out again for a ride in the sunshine this morning. I was doing a loop out to Melverley yet again but I varied it a little by going through Kinnerley, Argoed and taking to the very minor lane through Hendre which is new to me (nice rustic scenery, rough road surface).

I caught another cyclist while leaving Shrewsbury and we paused for a chat at Little Ness before parting ways. :hello: if you see this Barry.

On the way to Kinnerley I had to brake and swerve for a section of road that was more hole than road and disguised by the dappled shadows under the trees. My adjustments to the brakes on this bike have done the trick - they are now very reassuring.

I'd set out in pretty much a dead calm but a wind picked up as I rode round. It meant I couldn't cruise along as quick as I'd hoped along the straight to Nox, then it was quite hard work for the last couple of miles as I turned directly into it.

38.5 miles at 15.3 mph average.

View attachment 409380
View attachment 409381
Just a couple of snaps today to show off the nice weather. This is the kind of day I looked forward to a lot when out on my winter rides.
I’m so frustrated at being laid up with a horrid bug yet AGAIN in May and missing the lovely evenings to cycle in :cry:

4 years running now that I’ve had a chesty cough and cold in May.

Brandane

Legendary Member
The map -
That one is in the diary!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Today is my 60th birthday and so Jannie and I rode 65km. It of course involved cake. We also spent some time weeding and watering at the CWG cemetery. Its now BBQ in the garden and finish off with a glass of mead made by a master beekeeping friend of ours.

Perfect.

Attachments

• 20180515_124743.jpg
    20180515_124743.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Today is my 60th birthday and so Jannie and I rode 65km. It of course involved cake. We also spent some time weeding and watering at the CWG cemetery. Its now BBQ in the garden and finish off with a glass of mead made by a master beekeeping friend of ours.

Perfect.
And a Happy Birthday from me as well :okay:.

No great scenery for me, just 2 rides on consecutive days, 15 miles yesterday on the old A1 that runs alongside the A1M, no biggie but got a bee in my bonnet...literally. I saw it coming, ducked, felt it rattling around in my helmet...ooer, lid off and let him go.

Tonight, 23 miles, across Ferry Meadows, onto Marholm, turn toward Ufford, found a road down to Ailsworth, picked up the same road I'd ridden after Ferry Meadows, onto Marholm again, past Peterborough Crematorium where I nodded and said hiya dad :hello: ...miss ya, as I passed, onto the town centre which was a bit mad TBH, onto Oundle Road and home.

Lovely rides both of them. I'm recovering post rides quite well too which is heartwarming given my damaged lung.

The trouble with having a week off is when family members find out and try to get you to do "things " . With that said i only managed a 5 mile ride today with the highlight being a coffee stop at my dads where a chunky kit kat was had. Plan to get out earlier tomorrow before anyone texts me . The things you do eh ?

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A decent lie in and another morning of fettlling meant yet another late afternoon ride. Thankfully less windy than yesterday and lovely & warm despite the northerly wind direction. I was going to do the same ride as yesterday, but added an extra loop out to Sproughton, Bramford, Little Blakenham and Claydon once on the road due to the easier conditions. Heading back into Ipswich with 35 miles on the clock I realised that a quick diversion up to Kesgrave & Martlesham Heath would give the additional miles to complete the imperial 50 to go with yesterday's 50k.
This from the woods in Foxhall
Foxhall Woods.jpg

Screenshot-2018-5-15 A swift half Ride Strava(1).png

https://www.strava.com/activities/1574273389
May take the MTB or the Giant flatbar out tomorrow for a slower ride.

Top Bottom