Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
WAR!!!

I took a short pootles to the atm this morning as Erin had nicked my last fiver for a school trip.
No issues during my ride through the park and past her school. But coming back? Different story.
As I was nearing this mini roundabout one of our favourite driver types (a taxi driver) felt the need for a mgif and almost clipped my front wheel as he pulled in behind the car in front of me. I had been in primary for the last 50 ft or so. I braked hard and swung in behind him and waited. But then I saw red. Why should I let him get away with that? I shouldn't!
Straight away I passed him on the inside and parked dead in front of him as we waited to cross the junction. I stayed in front all the way to the next set of traffic lights.
As I got there they were turning green and 2 cars in front were waiting to turn right onto Moss Bank Way and so I patiently waited till they were clear before going straight across to go through the park. At this section one can choose I indicate left and go through the park or follow the road around to the right and proceed along Moss Lane. I indicated very clearly as I always take primary here to reduce the chances of crap passing.
Mr Taxi driver then snuck up my inside close and at speed and right hooked me to go along Moss Lane. I braked veeeery hard and was now fuming. That bas***d nearly scratched my bike! How dare he!!!
My personal safety was pushed to one side and I gave chase.

View attachment 413045
Giving it everything I was barely hanging onto his sight when the god of hell fire took pity on me and told him to turn right down Forest Road. I'd get the barsteward at his pickup I thought.
As I rode along I saw him up ahead and he was doing a 3 point turn heading back towards me. As I got closer he looked to be trying to get around me and I really started losing my temper with him. My hard as fork northern Spa and I played chicken with him and he and I both slammed our brakes on stopping inches from each other. Not the wisest of decisions but I was fuming and not thinking clearly.
"WHAT THE F**K ARE YOU PLAYING AT!"
Couldn't hear his reply. I rode around to the passenger side.
"That's twice now that you've passed me like a f***ing nob. What's the problem???"
His reply was a mixture of broken English that couldn't understand and arms waving about.
A minute or so of me swearing and yelling at him and he trying to answer and we were getting no where.
I finished by telling him to go back to driving school and rode off with my heart pounding.
I took it easy going past the park and up Cinder Lane to home as I could feel my glucose levels dropping.
My best friend from when we were school kids popped in for a brew and I was telling him my tale. He was in hysterics as he remembers all too well what a bad tempered bugger I was when growing up. Not much has changed it seems :smile:
Not sure I can give a like for having had to deal with the prat and it getting you so riled up.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Peace!

After my ride this morning I did some fettling on the bike. I hammered the hell out of my Brooks to get the saddle rails level which worked (YAY!) and put my little short stumpy stem back on then pootled out for a short ride.
Out in the sunshine in shorts and tshirt I rode up Chorley Old Road to Walker Fold Road. I made a few stops on the way to adjust saddle height but I think I have the height, position and angle nailed now...till I decide to balls it all up again.
Going along I spotted a trail to my left just before the road bends right up an incline.
I went through the gate, down the steps, along some very dodgy looking path and finally found a rideable bit. On I go and no sooner than I start pedalling than a bunch of more steps going down turn up. I give up. Turned back and got back on the road.
Climbing, more climbing and then a bit more climbing till I was on the flat and then it a right turn onto Longshaw Ford Road. I was able to let the bike coast pretty much all the way down with little braking and reached 31mph. If it weren't for the little loose stones all gathered in the centre of the lane that slick tyres love to slip on I probably could have gone faster but, I'm a scaredy cat. :smile:
As I crossed the bridge over Dean Brook I could hear the familiar sound of my back tyre chewing through the rear mudflap....it really bugs me that. Stopped and freed it.
Through Bamber Bridge and home via Cinder Lane and the estate. Nice little ride :smile:

WAR!!!

I took a short pootle to the atm this morning as Erin had nicked my last fiver for a school trip.
No issues during my ride through the park and past her school. But coming back? Different story.
As I was nearing this mini roundabout one of our favourite driver types (a taxi driver) felt the need for a mgif and almost clipped my front wheel as he pulled in behind the car in front of me. I had been in primary for the last 50 ft or so. I braked hard and swung in behind him and waited. But then I saw red. Why should I let him get away with that? I shouldn't!
Straight away I passed him on the inside and parked dead in front of him as we waited to cross the junction. I stayed in front all the way to the next set of traffic lights.
As I got there they were turning green and 2 cars in front were waiting to turn right onto Moss Bank Way and so I patiently waited till they were clear before going straight across to go through the park. At this section one can choose to indicate left and go through the park or follow the road around to the right and proceed along Moss Lane. I indicated very clearly as I always take primary here to reduce the chances of crap passing.
Mr Taxi driver then snuck up my inside close and at speed and right hooked me to go along Moss Lane. I braked veeeery hard and was now fuming. That bas***d nearly scratched my bike! How dare he!!!
My personal safety was pushed to one side and I gave chase.

View attachment 413045
Giving it everything I was barely hanging onto his sight when the god of hell fire took pity on me and told him to turn right down Forest Road. I'd get the barsteward at his pickup I thought.
As I rode along I saw him up ahead and he was doing a 3 point turn heading back towards me. As I got closer he looked to be trying to get around me and I really started losing my temper with him. My hard as fork northern Spa and I played chicken with him and he and I both slammed our brakes on stopping inches from each other. Not the wisest of decisions but I was fuming and not thinking clearly.
"WHAT THE F**K ARE YOU PLAYING AT!"
Couldn't hear his reply. I rode around to the passenger side.
"That's twice now that you've passed me like a f***ing nob. What's the problem???"
His reply was a mixture of broken English that I couldn't understand and arms waving about.
A minute or so of me swearing and yelling at him and he trying to answer and we were getting no where.
I finished by telling him to go back to driving school and rode off with my heart pounding.
I took it easy going past the park and up Cinder Lane to home as I could feel my glucose levels dropping.
My best friend from when we were school kids popped in for a brew and I was telling him my tale. He was in hysterics as he remembers all too well what a bad tempered bugger I was when growing up. Not much has changed it seems :smile:

Well done @Vantage for keeping a lid on it, in the circumstances it must’ve took a lot of strength. Me personally, I’d have decked the tw4t.

Mr Celine

Discordian
For the last two weeks I've had the sort of cold that's not bad enough to take a day off sick but too bad to go out on the bike. The upwelling of phlegm (sorry) had died down a bit today and the sun was out, so I tried a flattish loop that ended up as a thirty miler. I didn't need to stop until hit with a good view, looking south over Kelso towards the Cheviot on the horizon which has finally lost the last of its snow.
IMG_20180607_184531[1].jpg

Stopping for a photo was enough to bring on a coughing fit, so I thought I'd check out the nearest burial place in case it got worse. I'd cycled past this loads of times but never gone in for a look. It's an eco burial site where your hand-crafted wicker basket / cardboard box is buried under a tree. The centre piece is an old folly called the Hundy Mundy.
IMG_20180607_185545[1].jpg

All very tranquil. Doubt they'd bury me on my bike as it's not biodegradable. Something to be said for steel frames I suppose.

Nearer home the evening sun was at the right angle to hit all three bridges at Leaderfoot. Front to back Leaderfoot viaduct (1863), Drygrange Old Bridge (1776) and A68 Drygrange New Bridge (1973), with a bonus site of roman ampitheatre occupied by lambs in the foreground.
IMG_20180607_192728[1].jpg

The map -
upload_2018-6-7_21-42-5.png

Slick

Guru
I felt today would be another good opportunity to get another 50 miles in but it didn't quite work out that way and actually ended up being quite a tough 50k.

Mrs Slick and I left home in bright sunshine. We were heading for Largs letting Google choose our route (which was my first mistake) and turned off at Lugton. We did see a road closed sign for local access only which I assumed would allow pedestrian and cyclist access (which was my second mistake). We eventually came across major road works which was a completely missing bridge, so had to about turn and find another route. We rejoined the Irvine road and turned off at another single track road which was a perfect ribbon of tarmac which we followed to Beith. The next few miles were a series of overly complicated twists and turns that avoided most of the roads until we got to Kilbirnie and a fairly tough climb to get up to the hill lochs which certainly made me sweat but Mrs Slick took with ease on the ebike. The last obstacle was going down the Haley brae (might not be spelled quite like that). I usually love the downhill blast but there's a couple of hairpin bends that requires respect so I had to feather the brakes most of the way down but it was still fun. A couple of views from Largs beach as we sat and enjoyed what must be the best fish supper in the country.
20180607_144843.jpg

Millport boat heading out.
20180607_145417.jpg

Not 100% sure but I think that's the Arran boat and the cowal peninsula in the background.
20180607_154940.jpg

We headed part way home as far as Howood then tried to climb up to Bowfield and I instantly regretted the Nardinis double nougat but I just about made it home intact other than 3rd degree sun burn on my head.
Last picture
20180607_173631.jpg

His n her choice of reward at the end. Delish

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Tuesday's Ride

Mrs 26 and I had a bit of an adventure planned. The first leg was a bike ride (naturally!). We rode on a standard route around the southern end of the Hills and aimed at the crossing of the Marcles from Much Marcle. On again over the other side we went by Fawley Court for a look at the old house before dropping to the Wye at Hoarwithy. The pub here welcomed us for some lovely lunch and a pint of Wye Valley ale.

The next stage would be lumpy I knew but initially it was steady ramps to gain some height. We climbed to Orcop Hill and then onto Saddlebow Hill where the views westward were lovely. We were riding in some lovely hilly country in quiet lanes. Zooming off Saddlebow Hill Mrs 26 missed a turn. I adapted for the error but it lead us to miss the objective of this leg of the ride. So eventually we retraced over some lumps we had already conquered to visit the 12th century church at Kilpeck. It was definitely worth the extra effort, even Mrs 26 said so. The remains of the castle were also interesting. We looped back onto Saddlebow Hill where Mrs 26 was finding the ups a bit of a challenge now. Back at Kentchurch for the second time we headed for Garway and more lumpy country. The Church at Garway is also an ancient one, but where is the Dovecot we've come to see? No worries, it's a nice place for a picnic. Onwards to St Weonards still in the lanes took us via Llangarron and flatter terrain. Soon we were crossing the busy A40 and dropping down to the Wye for our overnight hotel. 68 smiles

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 and I packed up and rode to Ross on Wye where we had another (after a great hotel breakfast) coffee. Thence we pottered into the standard short run back but stopped at Upton Bishop where we admired the old church. From there we continued on to Dymock and Bromsberrow Heath where Mrs 26 had plans for a cafe stop. This time we had tea. From there it was an easy run back through the Castlemorton lanes to complete a lovely 3 days away from it all. 34 smiles

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
After the "Tour de Wye" return with Mrs 26 I headed back to the Forest and Littledean to take part in a ride with the GV lads. Lots out despite the iffy weather as showers were about this evening. Ken lead us to Mitcheldean and on across the A40 by The Moody Cow (yes that's the name of the pub) to Old Gore where the fun starts. It's a long ramp down and the lads give it some welly. I hit 25 mph at one point but was well off the back. They are good lads as we regrouped at Much Marcle. Ken released the fast lads from the leash at Kempley and a select band formed a slow group. We took our time along the Linton Ridge and down to Lea before returning by Mitcheldean and a climb of "The Widow Maker" to GV HQ. Great to catch up with some I haven't seen for a year. 30 smiles

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I could sleep forever at this point in time.
I set off this morning just before 9 for trip east for once.
Once through Bamber Bridge I started the climb up Longshaw Ford Road and gave up halfway up. The rest I walked. Right onto Scout Road and then into Belmont where another right turn lead me to Stones Bank Road. It was here that I decided to squeeze a bit more air into the tyres. Another dizzy spell that had me grabbing the bike in order to stay upright. It seems to happen after working hard thus causing my heart rate to increase a fair bit. I may phone the stroke team about this.
Further on I had to revert to walking the bike up a hill again and through Boltons more famous dogging spot. A few parked empty cars and nothing going on. Maybe Boltonions are a bunch of wet tea towels. Who knows.
A short stretch on Blackburn Road and then right again onto Green Arms Road.
20180608_100738.jpg

Left into the beautiful villages of Chapeltown when I saw these cheery haybales
20180608_101922.jpg
and where a photo opportunity presented itself and onto Edgeworth. Leaving there I saw a nice waterwheel. Apparently preserved since 1975.
20180608_103626.jpg

I do like old stuff when it hasn't been polished to death and made to look new.
From there it was a fairly boring ride to Tottington although the scenery was nice.
A left turn took me into Greenmount and into Bury via a shared use path.
20180608_111206.jpg

I missed a turn on the path in Bury and followed my non sense of direction till I rejoined it after a series of twists and turns.
The Manchester Bolton and Bury Canal (more swamp than canal) was followed to Radcliffe and then the cycle trail from there took me into Bolton town centre.
I decided on a pootle through Queens Park and was following 2 chaps on a footbridge crossing the River Croal waiting for a gap to pass them when one of the dirty barstewards just lobbed an empty bottle over the side without a thought. If I'd only been bigger I thought. I wasn't feeling brave today.
Through the park and up to Chorley New Road for a while then up through the streets to Chorley Old Road and home by 2pm.
No incidents with idiot drivers today :smile:
30 miles averaging 8.4mph and around 2300ft of climbing. It was RWGPS that was inflating my avg's, not the etrex.
Slow but enjoyable if tiring ride :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A fairly quick ride this morning as I had to be back so as to go over to my Aunt's and do more gardening & furniture shifting jobs for her.

I opted to head into town, through The Quarry. a meandering route through Sundorne to avoid the rough and muddy canal path, then Uffington, Upton Magna, Atcham, Cross Houses, Condover, Lyth Hill and home.

After overnight rain had left the roads wet I opted for the knockabout bike and was out at the time all the kids were headed for school, which made for rather slow progress on the cycle paths, but not as slow as the motorists were going :whistle:.

The Quarry was as busy as I'd usually expect, with the extra hazard of dog owners walking on one side of Victoria Avenue while their dog is the other side on a hard-to-see extending lead. A pet hate of mine (pun intended. :laugh:)

As mentioned I avoided the muddy path by taking a detour. This involved crossing a particularly busy junction and I got taken by surprise when a Porsche driver stopped to allow me across when she didn't have to. I doubt you'll see this but thanks anyway.:thumbsup:

Having toured through the housing estates I was finally back on the tarmac section of the old canal path, then out onto quieter roads between Uffington and Atcham with mostly only the swish of my tyres on wet tarmac to disturb the quiet. Very nice.

A large removal van was about to block my route at Cross Houses, but I was waved past, then things were pretty uneventful the rest of the way home apart from having to splash through a flood at the top of Lyth Hill (about time someone recut the drainage channels into the field).

22.3 miles at 13.1 mph average. Over at my Aunt's the garden has a nice new gravel path and a bit less clutter in the house. I am going to ache in the morning.

DSC0006462.jpg

Just the one pic today from Thomas Telford's Atcham Bridge. Still lots of rain cloud lurking about the place.

Last edited:

galaxy

Veteran
Another pleasant (Wear) valley Sunday. My thoughts all seem to stray to places far away. I need a change of scenery. And as I was up before the weekend squire began to mow his lawn I pointed myself to Teesdale and was in Staindrop too early for the cafe to be open. On then to Middleton, after a brief crossing of the Tees to the Yorkshire side, for breakfast at the 'Cundy'. Except it's not the Conduit anymore and is now called the Teespot. It's still a good caff though and the scrambled eggs were direct from the new owners own chooks.
A frustrating visitation as I was leaving the village. Couldn't find the source of the deflation or anything obvious through the tyre. A couple of riders passed as I was putting in the new tube, both asking if I was OK and telling me that they too had just had to fix flats.
Into upper Teesdale then with the meadows looking alpine and the roads still fairly empty although I was now getting buzzed by the occasional low flying motorbike. The gradual climb up to Langdon Beck was going all too easily as there was now a fairly stiff NE wind pushing me along - that free ride would have to be paid for later.
At the signpost for St. John's Chapel I took the road out of the valley towards Weardale and began the climb of Chapel Fell into the wind. This side is usually the easy side but not today as a cheerful farmer told me, pulling alongside me on his quad with a huge grin on his face. Well I still got to the top without having to get out of the saddle and the views, although a bit hazy, were reward enough for the effort.
The road across Chapel Fell
View attachment 411346

The screaming descent down into Weardale didn't happen as there was some kind of Motorbike trials thing going on with the road being constricted by bad parking and some dodgy multi point turns but it was grand not to pedal for a while, take it easy and enjoy the scenery.
Took the road on the South side of the valley through Brotherlee. It's in much better nick than the A road on the other side and is so so much quieter.
Was almost taken out by another cyclist at the Grey Bull, one of a group of four, who I'd see again later on. The climb up Crawleyside Bank had me out of the saddle several times as it's probably the steepest bit of the ride plus I had 60 miles in my legs by this point but all things pass and I eventually reached Park Head caff where I had my dinner.
Just as I was leaving, the four cyclists I'd seen at the bottom arrived. 'Hey, haven't we seen you before?' one said. Turned out that while I'd been eating my dinner they had been walking up the climb. TBF they were doing the C2C and had huge panniers on their bikes.
Pretty much all down hill from here but still with that stiff wind in my face so in places where I'd normally be doing 30mph I was actually doing half that.
View attachment 411350
86 miles with 6,000ft of climbing at 14mph.
Fell into such a deep sleep when I got home that I didn't recognise where I was when Mrs. jg woke me.

Done those routes and similar lots of times back in my North East Days, i lived in Shiney Row, went to school ocasinlly in Chester.

Top Bottom