Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I did have plans for today involving driving up to Snettterton and leaving my car at the circuit (free entry thanks to a season ticket) and going for a 50+ mile loop down to Diss and back. However a last minute shift change next week means that the tasks I had planned for Monday morning had to be done today instead, so nded up doing a local ride this afternoon instead.

I used the Cube as, although I had no set route, I'd decided that at least some of it would be off road. I set off heading into Felixstowe via a couple of miles of bridleway that emerge on the outskirts of the Dock, then along the seafront before heading back inland to Ipswich via Trimley, Levington and a diversion to Nacton Foreshore where the tide was out on the River Orwell...
Nacton Foreshore (2).JPG
Once out of Ipswich it was under the A14 to Sproughton & Bramford
River Gipping - Bramford (6).JPG
and on to Claydon before taking a restricted byway that cuts through to Westerfield. There was a slight diversion here up a really rough farm track in Akenham where I followed a sign for a historic church intending to add it to the "bike in front of a church" thread in the photo gallery section only to completely miss the church as I was too busy looking where I was going! I will try again when out that way on a suitable bike.
Having retraced my track (and missed the church again) I took the road into Westerfield and Rushmere St. Andrew where I completel;y forgot about a section of open bridleway & woodland in Martlesham that was one of the areas I'd hoped to get to and instead took my usual on road route home via Bucklesham & Kirton plus a short off road section alongside the A14 in Trimley.
A total of just under 54 miles for the day.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1627880018
Screenshot-2018-6-9 Relaxed - June's 50 miler Ride Strava.png

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@Pat "5mph" dont say things like that. Once it starts raining it'll never bloody stop!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Club ride day again, and a beautiful day for it in Gloucestershire. One long climb up through Middleyard, hanging a right over the vicious little cattle grid climb, then carrying on up to the top of Selsley Common. Then down to the Thistledown Farm café near Nympsfield for coffee and cakes. The nine of us then set off down a long, steep descent past Forest Green to the middle of Nailsworth and back along the valley to Stroud. Once back at Whitminster, I said my goodbyes as it was clear the others were going to chain gang it back home along the A38 at speed. I fancied slowing right down and taking the long way home via Saul Junction and the banks of the Severn at Epney. Arrived back at my own local canal bridge (which was still closed) and followed the gravel tow path along to Sims Lane Bridge just as a Viking ship was being towed past by a narrow boat full of hippies. A surreal sight with a Saxon/Viking looking long-bearded guy standing at the tiller wearing a cloth smock. 44.0 miles today. Another nice ride.
Cheers, Donger.

TigerT

Veteran
Beautiful weather here in Zürich today. As mentioned in a previous report, I sold one of my bikes and it's new owner turned up at 7:30am to go for a ride.

Any route through Zürich centre was out of the question today and there is an E-Prix on and my main route home is part of the track! So I planned a route heading the other way. It's one I've done before and it's got some short but steep hills in it. This was perfect for me to test out my new bike on it's first proper outing.

We headed out to Baden on the road route, making it fairly quickly due to a complete lack traffic. Headed into Starbucks for a 2nd Breakfast (I'm kidding myself that Lemon Sugar Pearl Muffins are perfect cycling food ). From there we went onto Brugg. All the way to Baden there is a big hill on your right. At Brugg you can skip over it and head down the other side which is what we did. You head through some beautiful countryside with long stretches of uninterrupted cycle path. Eventually its time to turn back in towards Zürich, joining the river Glatt round to Zürich airport, then skirting around the edge of the airport and home.

The new bike behaved well for the most part, a couple of glitches to be mentioned when it goes back in for a checkup in a couple of weeks, but I completely adore it. It's a much harder frame than I'm used to and only the 2 rings up front instead of the triple I'm used to, so I spend a lot of time in the wrong gear getting used to the new gearing.

It was a great day out. 86kms - The longest ride my friend has ever done. We both enjoyed our new bikes, though we were both glad to get back as it's really quite hot out there.

fullsizeoutput_1916.jpeg

Heading in to Birmenstorf, completely unable to get the smile off my face.
Image-1.png

The route

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Had some beer last night so feeling a bit slow and lethargic this morning. A bike ride is always good for helping to liven me up though so I got the Galaxy out and headed for a shortened version of my Acton Burnell, Cressage and Upton Magna route.

The wonderful sunny, warm weather continues and it can hang around all summer as far as I'm concerned.:okay: There was a little bit of a headwind though which felt stronger to ride against than the Met Office figures would suggest.

I had a bit of traffic to contend with on the way through Condover as people head to the Berriewood Horse Trials but once I'd turned off that road it was quiet and enjoyable with a few cyclists out to say hello to.

I'd started off at a fairly brisk pace but around the Cressage area the warmth of the day seemed to sap my energy (or possibly it was the beer?:whistle:) and I flagged a bit. Despite this I still reeled in another rider on the climb to the Eaton Constantine crossroads. He was going straight on and I was going left though so I didn't manage the overtake.

I took the quiet way to Wroxeter this time which is nice for the views over the Severn Valley but also notable for the descent and climb on the way. Approaching Viroconium I could see that there was an event on and as I got closer there was the unusual sight of a squad of Roman legionaries marching round the ruins of the old city while on the other side of the road was their camp. I got a few photos but the main event was happening on the far side of the site so a bit far away for my phone camera.

The lane/bridleway past my old work needed a bit of care due to potholes and vegitation but then I was onto some better roads to Atcham, Cross Houses and Condover again. I'd hoped that having a headwind on the way to Condover it would be helping on the way back but it didn't seem to work out like that, then I had a couple of annoyingly close passes, one of which was literally only six inches from my elbow and spoiled the mood for a bit.

28.7 miles this time at 15.2 mph average.

DSC0006463.jpg

Shaggy sheep comes to have a look at me. Must be a bit warm in that fleece today.

DSC0006464.jpg

Blue sky and quiet lanes. Cycling bliss.

DSC0006465.jpg

A bit hazy to the south and obscuring the hills.

DSC0006468.jpg

The Roman camp at Viroconium.

DSC0006469.jpg

Bike, camp and the "new" villa. I've finally got round to getting a couple of bottles to fit the cages on the Dawes. Just tried out the one this trip and it is a good snug fit. Not sure I like it when fitted in the seat tube cage though as my knees touch it as I pedal. I have cages for the other bikes too - time to get them fitted.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Had some beer last night so feeling a bit slow and lethargic this morning. A bike ride is always good for helping to liven me up though so I got the Galaxy out and headed for a shortened version of my Acton Burnell, Cressage and Upton Magna route.

The wonderful sunny, warm weather continues and it can hang around all summer as far as I'm concerned.:okay: There was a little bit of a headwind though which felt stronger to ride against than the Met Office figures would suggest.

I had a bit of traffic to contend with on the way through Condover as people head to the Berriewood Horse Trials but once I'd turned off that road it was quiet and enjoyable with a few cyclists out to say hello to.

I'd started off at a fairly brisk pace but around the Cressage area the warmth of the day seemed to sap my energy (or possibly it was the beer?:whistle:) and I flagged a bit. Despite this I still reeled in another rider on the climb to the Eaton Constantine crossroads. He was going straight on and I was going left though so I didn't manage the overtake.

I took the quiet way to Wroxeter this time which is nice for the views over the Severn Valley but also notable for the descent and climb on the way. Approaching Viroconium I could see that there was an event on and as I got closer there was the unusual sight of a squad of Roman legionaries marching round the ruins of the old city while on the other side of the road was their camp. I got a few photos but the main event was happening on the far side of the site so a bit far away for my phone camera.

The lane/bridleway past my old work needed a bit of care due to potholes and vegitation but then I was onto some better roads to Atcham, Cross Houses and Condover again. I'd hoped that having a headwind on the way to Condover it would be helping on the way back but it didn't seem to work out like that, then I had a couple of annoyingly close passes, one of which was literally only six inches from my elbow and spoiled the mood for a bit.

28.7 miles this time at 15.2 mph average.

View attachment 413588
Shaggy sheep comes to have a look at me. Must be a bit warm in that fleece today.

View attachment 413589

Blue sky and quiet lanes. Cycling bliss.

View attachment 413590
A bit hazy to the south and obscuring the hills.

View attachment 413591
The Roman camp at Viroconium.

View attachment 413592
Bike, camp and the "new" villa. I've finally got round to getting a couple of bottles to fit the cages on the Dawes. Just tried out the one this trip and it is a good snug fit. Not sure I like it when in the seat tube cage as my knees touch it as I pedal. I have cages for the other bikes too - time to get them fitted.

Bar end shifters and reddish bikes are very underrated. Only those in the know will know.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
@User21629 and I had a great ride today. 33.6 miles! Very happy with weather conditions in the end.

Lots of lovely sights and fab lunch in Hamstreet.

Sorry for lack of photos. We just wanted to crack on! Half way through we averaged around 12 mph but I've been having regular issues with my tight hip flexors which the influence lower back ache as well so it slowed a little. I forgot to pause it at the pub so the average went down a little and the time etc :-(

Roll on our 50km Audax on 1st July!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180610-150930.png
    Screenshot_20180610-150930.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 48

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not actually my ride but my wife took me out for a drive over the Snake Pass and to visit the Ladybower visitors centre in the Derwent valley. Lots and lots of people hiring out bikes and heading off in the perfect weather to enjoy the pleasant surroundings. Also plenty of road cyclists and club runs out in the area and the A57 Snake Pass.
Did see one poor guy slogging up the Pass from the Glossop end as we were on our way back, seemed to be going a lot slower than many of the other cyclists heading up the hill. It was only as we were almost past him I realised he looked a lot like @nickyboy. He was about the right build and had kit that at a glance very closely resembled the normal Btwin kit that Nick wears. Was it you Nick, at about 1.30?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
This morning I put 2 new Schwalbe marathon racer tyres on my Spa tourer, getting rid of that bloody Marathon plus. Finally I've some feeling in the back wheel!

We set off around Bourn and Kingston, he was out powering me on the hills
IMG_0085.JPG

Lighter bike, more powerful, younger legs.

Over into Harlton and back to Comberton, then his power began to fade
IMG_0087.JPG

I waited for him though, cos I'm the nice one!

Almost 17 sunny miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/1629742291

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Not actually my ride but my wife took me out for a drive over the Snake Pass and to visit the Ladybower visitors centre in the Derwent valley. Lots and lots of people hiring out bikes and heading off in the perfect weather to enjoy the pleasant surroundings. Also plenty of road cyclists and club runs out in the area and the A57 Snake Pass.
Did see one poor guy slogging up the Pass from the Glossop end as we were on our way back, seemed to be going a lot slower than many of the other cyclists heading up the hill. It was only as we were almost past him I realised he looked a lot like @nickyboy. He was about the right build and had kit that at a glance very closely resembled the normal Btwin kit that Nick wears. Was it you Nick, at about 1.30?

No, my lack of fitness means I'm giving proper hilly rides a miss for now. I feel sorry for the guy you saw given he has my build...not ideal

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Just a short one this morning, with stuff to do later.

On the Boardman again as it's summer (and it is now nearest the door) although you might not have thought it this morning - wall to wall grey with a bit of a chill in the air.
Coal Road and Red Hall Lane to the Wetherby Road and then a straight forward almost all downhill run through Scarcroft and Bardsey to Collingham. Got caught at the traffic lights at Bardsey at the bottom of Rigton Bank as it appears that they're not detecting bikes either, so I had to wait until a car turned up.
Still managed to set a new PB though, as well as averaging 27 mph over the mile from Scarcroft to Bardsey. Which really goes to show the power of gravity, rather than my legs...^_^
Anyhow, what comes down must also go up, so now it was time to start paying back with the climb up the Cote de Jewitt Lane - a hill so tough even the Tour de Yorkshire avoids it. Possibly. :whistle:
The steepest bit is the first section out of Collingham, then there is a little dip and it starts to climb again. Anyhow, much huffing and puffing later I arrived at the top and turned onto Compton Lane, totally on my chinstrap and wishing I'd brought the lower geared Giant instead of the Pro Carbon.
I didn't know it at the time, but when I got home and downloaded the ride I'd actually set a new PB up the hill :cheers:
Along Compton Lane as a couple of crows noisily chased a Red Kite off overhead, slowing down to pass a couple of horses and their very cheery riders, before taking the tight turn onto Bramham Lane and doubling back through the countryside to the top end of Jewitt Lane and out onto Holme Farm Lane, then Milner Lane along the ridge where I stopped for a couple of photos:
IMG_20180610_103850850_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180610_104038208_HDR.jpg

Back on the bike and down the hill into Thorner, then the familiar up, down and more up of Carr Lane out to the A58, where I avoided repeating yesterdays almost clipless moment, but then couldn't get my left foot clipped back in...for about 200 yards...:wacko:
Anyway, up the sharp rise of Coal Road, across the roundabout and pushing on, just as a moron in a Merc decided to pull out of a side street right in front of me. I'd half anticipated his motorised muppetry so avoided him but really. :dry:
Then it was local roads down to home without further incident.

17.1 miles (27.5km) in 1h 14m at an average of 13.9mph with 875ft climbed

Enjoyed that, although still didn't feel quite right at points so was surprised to see the PB's when I got in. It's always good to get a ride in and there were lots of other cyclists out doing the same.

Obviously once I'd been home half an hour the sun finally burned through and it's Scorchio now, but that's just the way it goes isn't it.

Then, randomly, out for a walk this afternoon and a Boels-Dolmans team car drove past us in the middle of the estate - a fully liveried team car with bike carriers. Maybe something to do with the WTS Triathlon that's going on nearby, or ahead of the Women's Tour?

Anyway, to end - the map:
10062018.jpg

Last edited:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Bit of a mini tour this weekend - an old school ride to a Youth Hostel - something I haven't done for, well, I can't remember when.

Yesterday after lots of Garmin/Basecamp/Google Maps faffing I left the house without a route on my gps but instead had a list of villages on a piece of paper in my back pocket - told you it was old school.

All went well until Snitter (near Rothbury) when none of the places on my list was appearing on the signposts. Oh well, I'll just follow my nose. Which I did until I chanced on a Pennine Cycleway signpost and decided to follow those. Was it a mistake? Well there was a lot more walking than I'd planned.

There was one ford near Roseden (I think) where the approach was ankle deep in mud in places and it was so overgrown I was having to duck walk under the trees. On the other hand it got me to places I've never been before, it was traffic free and quite beautiful.
Coming out of the jungle I surprised a farmer who was teaching his lad how to drive a tractor. Surprised him so much that he swerved right across my path. That did it for me.

No more exploration and so figuring that if I headed east I'd hit the A697 somewhere south of Wooler that's what I did. Got to the hostel at 5.30 having set out at 10.30 and covering 73 miles, knackered.

Despite grabbing a bed in the 'No Snoring' dormitory (single, en suite room - not that old school after all) I didn't sleep well and was back on the road at 6.30 in the fog. After a breakfast of Naked fruit bars I decided to grind back down the A697, reasoning that there wouldn't be any traffic at that time on a Sunday morning.

There wasn't much but I wasn't comfortable in the fog, especially when my front blinky light went out. So glad when I got to Longhorsely for a second breakfast of fried egg sandwiches and coffee as it meant I could get back onto the lanes and away from the increasing traffic. I was right tired though and had to stop for a third breakfast of toasted teacakes in Ponteland. The urban grimness from there to home I've dismissed from memory.

62 miles today and I'm feeling a bit creaky. I've been building up the miles with the intention of doing a 200k audax but think I need a bit of a rest now.

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
Today, I tackled the “Ayrshire Explorer”, part of the Ayrshire Cycling festival.

I’ve never done a “group ride” before, or any organised event, and it’s been over a year since I last did a 100k, so this was going to be a first for me.

So to Troon by car, arriving about 9. Signed in, and had a blether with some of the other riders.

There were about 40 or 50 riders in total I think, after a quick recap of the route and a safety talk, we were on our way at 9.30, leaving in groups of 10 a couple of minutes apart. The racing hares left in the first groups, I was nearer the back. It’s not a race - some people were “going for a time”, others were just out to enjoy the ride.

And some, like me, were just wanting to get round, and ideally not finish last!

Weather was ideal. Warm, dry, but not windy, and no direct sun. It was a bit humid, hot and sweaty at times - or maybe that was just me.

Through the town, out to Loans, to face the first obstacle of the ride after 1 mile - up Dundonald Hill, past the highgrove hotel, climbing around 100m over about a kilometre and half. Maybe a wee bit cruel having a steep climb so early, but it meant that the pack was strung out over quite a distance.

Right at Dundonald, and then over the A77 near Symington, and on to Tarbolton.

By this time I was in unknown territory, but the route was well signed - arrows at key junctions, and a good “route sheet” had been handed out at the start. As well as telling us the route, it also had useful info like locations of shops, cafes and toilets!

From Tarbolton, it was south past the Stair Inn, then a climb up to Drongan, Littlemill and Patna.

After Patna, it was along the main road for about 5 miles to Dalmellington - it was a Sunday morning, so the road was quiet - then a sharp right, doubling back on ourselves to take the moor road from Dalmellington to Straiton.

The road was actually closed to cars, due to a collapsed cattle grid, which meant it was great for bikes. A quick stop at a checkpoint to refill the water bottle, then the climb up to the top of the moor, beside the wind farm - the highest point of the trip at around 270m.

A couple of relatively flat miles along the top, then a great descent - the road surface was very smooth - down to Straiton.

Arriving at Straiton, just past the halfway stage, I was greeted by a sea of bikes - all stopped outside “The Buck”. Good wee cafe - nice food and coffee, and friendly service. Sat in the sun outside the cafe for half an hour blethering. Coffee and Apple Pie!

Back on the road, heading north. Kirkmichael, Dalrymple, Coylton - places I’d seen on signs, but never visited. By this time it had started to get a bit breezy - and of course that wind was in my face.

Annbank, Mossblown, and suddenly I was back in territory I recognised. Underneath the A77, past the airport into Monkton, and along the cycle path to Troon, arriving back at the starting line after 102 km, with about 3300 ft climbing. It was nice rolling into the car park, and getting a clap from those that had already finished.

Coffee, sandwich, certificate and medal, then headed home!

upload_2018-6-10_17-57-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-10_17-57-38.jpeg
    upload_2018-6-10_17-57-38.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

shirokazan

Veteran
Well, after the success of last Sunday's ride (hitherto unreported on this forum, due to tiredness and general lazyitis) from Northampton back to home, it was time to follow up with another ride giving me an opportunity to see how I get on with the new pedals.

The new pedals were fine and very quick to release, but I expected that given they are marketed as "beginners" SPD pedals. All of which came very handy, 22km into the ride: faced with a short but steep ascent (up to Upper Winchendon from the A41), a change down from the middle chainring to the granny resulted in the chain getting tied up with itself and jammed between the two rings! No better time to test the pedals with an emergency unclip! As for the chain, it was properly jammed. Five minutes of trying to free it failed to make any difference.:unsure:

But by chance, it was the Tour de Vale today (quite a few riders had regularly been going past me up to this point) when along came a support vehicle who pulled over. I explained the issue and that I wasn't on their ride but they were happy enough to help out, thankfully. Anyhow, ten minutes of various analyses of the problem and attempts managed to free the chain. Many thanks proffered and they were on their way. I decided to walk to the top of the climb as I was unsure whether the chain was undamaged - once on the flat at the top, I gingerly set off making sure to only gently stress the chain until I had a bit more confidence in it.

Pleased to report that all seemed well but I remained in middle ring for the rest of the ride - never done Brill climb on the middle ring before but sure did today. What a wonderful day it was, with glorious sun and quite a few empty roads as I looped into Oxfordshire, back into Bucks before finally swinging around to a south-easterly return to home. All told, just over 112km (70 miles) in a tad over 5 hours.

Top Bottom