Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Yesterday was my attempt to break my record of 220 miles for the longest distance I have ridden. It was the Oasts & Coasts 300KM Audax in Kent.
It meant an early start at 4.30am as it was a 15 mile cycle to the start in Meopham. It was raining when I got up and after munching on brekkie it abated somewhat to fine drizzle by the time I had left. Meeting up with @Trickedem & @frank9755 the first part of the route was some Kent lanes I know all too very well, including backing up on myself from my route in to the start. It wasn't cold, far from it, but there was a heavy mist and sometimes drizzle to contend with. Zip up the windcheater, unzip the windcheater and repeat. By the time we had got to the Ashdown Forest the mist came down really heavy and the climb to the summit not helped by heavier rain which made for very interesting descent into Uckfield for the first control. By the time myself and Tim got to Battle at 70 miles in, the rain and mist had disappeared and whilst having brekkie we could see the sun coming out. Things were looking up
View attachment 86886

From Battle we turned east and with the fantastic tailwind was pushed along the marshes at a fantastic rate of knots. We were averaging a 19/20mph average over a 30 mile stretch without even trying. Times like these don't come along often but when they do, you make the most of it. it's bloody fantastic and more then makes up for the not so nice weather on the first leg of the ride. It's what makes riding a bike so enjoyable.
View attachment 86889

But there's always a sting in the tail and that sting is the climb of Capel Le Fur and up and around Dover Castle. Boy oh Boy they were tough, made even tougher by now having 120 miles in my legs.

Dover Castle - You can see by the flag at how windy it was up there.
View attachment 86887

From Dover it was nice to give the legs a rest as we descended to sea level and followed the coast northwards. The seaside towns all passing buy in a blur. Walmer, Deal and Sandwich. Through Minster to Burchington turning west into the headwind cycling along the seawall all the way to Reculver. A horrid headwind making for tough going.

View attachment 86888

On to Herne Bay where a control at Mackaris Ice Cream Parlour meant glorious milkshakes and sticky cake type things all round. And so to the last leg home. From Whitstable to Hollingbourne. A route I know only to well from doing it so many times on the SMRbtH. But this did mean traversing Seasalter and the Graveny Marshes. A road so hideously boring and dull. I think having had to ride it so often and usually with a soul destroying headwind. So it was a case of head down and just get to the junction for Faversham and from Faversham to Hollingbourne a really nice 15 miles of rolling Kent lanes making for some really nice cycling. By now it was getting dark and by the time we hit the Hollingbourne Info control it was full on darkness. Thank gawd for Tim's dynamo lighting which had more lumens then a WWII searchlight. A godsend in the country lanes with all the potential pothole hazards.
It didn't take long to get to the last info control, local knowledge being a wonderful thing meaning there was no hanging about. By this time raindrops started to fall and slowly got heavier. Of course with rain comes grit sticking to tyres, grit sticking to tyres meant one thing.. a puncture. 10 miles from the end...how very annoying. We were lucky to find a little shelter to be able to change the tube out of the rain. I couldn't find the cause of the puncture so had to hope that the tube held for the rest of the ride. And it did. We got back to the Meopham control at 10.15pm. 15 minutes later then I envisaged due to that damn puncture. Plenty of food was on offer and I tried my very best to eat every cheese roll that was placed on the table.

45 minutes later I was back out on the road to ride the 15 miles home. The rain had stopped and it was still quite mild. So didn't rush and just took it easy through the country lanes. Some for the 3rd time today. I got home just a little after 12 midnight. A long day indeed.

So.. 217 miles for the day. I wanted to top 220 as that was my previous longest ride record. But you know what? I had such a brilliant time that I really wasn't bothered about beating it. I just pootled home knowing I had just ridden one of the very best cycling routes I have ever done.

It's the Oasts and Coasts Audax. I will be signing up again next year and so should you.

View attachment 86891

Cracking ride :notworthy: Is the 13,000 calories in the graphics the amount you took in eating the cheese rolls :laugh:

Having had 2 days off the bike because my back was hurting too much, this morning's sunshine was enough to make me chance a ride with the option to bale if needed (yeh, right...)
I very quickly established that despite the glorious sunshine (:sun:) it was exceptionally chilly (:cold:) and I was seriously wishing I had worn anything in the way of gloves, which I had not!
My OH also decided to join me for a ride, so any hills we encountered had the usual hill repeats for him much to the bemusement of one or two other cyclists we met along the way. We also ran into or should that me cycled into the route of a major cycle event - I have to confess I have no idea what it was but we were about 10 minutes before the peloton was due through first time around (OK found this "Cheshire Classic Women’s Road Race"), so we quickly scarpered going down the route the wrong way! ^_^

IMG_2941.JPG

Visibility is good today after yesterday's rain.

IMG_2944.JPG

From there we got to see a lapwing displaying in a field not far from us, which confused a number of cyclists who passed us because they couldn't fathom out why we were stopped and staring at a field. :wacko: Oh well, their loss. It was great to see and hear it calling and displaying. It has been a whilst since we last saw one that closely. We used to get them where we lived in Surrey and could watch them to our heart's content. Now we get quite excited when we see them.

Luckily by now the sunshine was making inroads on the chilly wind and life had warmed up a touch. By the time I got to the end of the route, I really needed to have removed another layer.
At the bottom of a nasty narrow climb, I had to stop for 2 horses. My OH had managed to pass them on his road bike, but my trike was a touch too much for them despite both the riders recognising me and knowing last time their horses had been fine. Today they were showing all the twitchiness and warning signs that trying to pass them on a 6 foot wide road with steep embankments and me going uphill wasn't going to happen. They did apologise for stopping me at the bottom of a steep hill which was nice, but unnecessary of them.

A slightly slower ride today (16.7 miles), but I still managed an average of 8.1mph. https://www.strava.com/activities/292827579
I'm not out again until Wednesday now, and if the weather is reasonable, I'm going to try for a 20 miler!

howdenbiker

Did 61.7 miles today which equals 99.7km, how annoying!! Did a circuit north against the freezing headwinds (even saw frost on some cars) to Stamford Bridge then back to Pocklington taking in a mini circuit to Millington woods and home. Saw buzzards, curlew, a herd of roe deer. Stopped off at Breighton airfield for a couple of pics, didn't think much of the passenger seat on the biplane! The jet is the gate mascot for the airfield russian Aero L-29 Delfin.
IMG-20150426-00293.jpg
IMG-20150426-00294.jpg
IMG-20150426-00299.jpg
IMG-20150426-00301.jpg
IMG-20150426-00303.jpg

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Just a short one here this afternoon out on the fen. 14 or so miles.

image.jpg

Swaffham Bulbeck Lode in the gloom.

It did gradually get brighter though still chilly. I was not in the mood for dealing with traffic, so chose the quietest possible routes.

image.jpg

One of my favourite quiet tracks. The soil is almost black out here.

After Upware, I dived down another track and saw my first two cuckoos of summer. They were close enough to hear the 'bubbling' sound of the female. It was a cracking day bird wise with my first UK redstart and heard a 'booming' bittern- only my second ever and a first around here. Then 3 late fieldfares. Not often you see cuckoos and fieldfares on the same day.

image.jpg

Wicken Lode.

image.jpg

One of my favourite spots for a brew.

image.jpg

On the home straight a bridge in Swaffham Bulbeck. Disappointingly my occasional thigh muscle pain returned during the ride spoiling it somewhat. It can leave me grounded for up to 2 weeks. I managed to ride through it so I'm hoping it was just a twinge.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After yesterdays heroics, and with initially leaden legs I just did a steady 17.82 miles this morning.
Gloriously sunny, but a lot cooler than it looked and with a stiff breeze to slow me down on a couple of quick sections, for a change I headed out to Thorner, up the hill and on to Bramham and then straight up Paradise Way (no Town Hill today...) and onto NCN R66 down to Aberford and through Parlington Woods. Not fancying the climbs to Garforth and then Thorpe Park, I headed across the bridleway on Garforth Golf Club (what's all that about - a load of blokes out in ridiculous clothes on a Sunday morning?) and down to Barnbow Lane where instead of taking the easy option and turning left, I turned right and climbed the bridleway up the hill, joining Bog lane and eventually emerging at the Coronation Tree in Scholes. A quick blast up Main Street and then down Wood Lane and local roads to home.

After a brew I got the bike on the stand for a wipe down and cleaned &lubed the chain while the sun was shining. By this point things had warmed up considerably, so I put Phil Collins No Jacket Required on while I worked... :sun:

MikeW-71

Veteran
Commuting today, but taking the long way back to give the Brooks another test. Bit breezy out there, as I found out when I turned back into the wind at Warwick Bridge :ohmy:

The sunshine was nice though :smile:

Still liking the saddle, I think I have it a bit too much up at the front, so I've altered that and we'll give it another test before I have to take it back to the shop.

Spartak