Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
Just a quick 19 miles today: got soaked half way through by a downpour and heavy wind, unfortunately the roads in the area get lots of standing water very quickly due to the uneven nature so it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Takes me total yearly mileage to almost 1100 though, which is still far off what I wanted, and I weigh, on Earth, less than 13 stone for the first time:okay:

contadino

Veteran
Woke up with a hangover. Did my chores, then decided to put the new tyres on my road bike. Then once they were bedded in nicely I thought I'd go for a short spin. Roads are deserted as it's Liberation Day. Only the second time out on this bike really so quite a bit of tinkering and adjusting still happening. However, I did remember to switch on Endomondo and even though I felt like I was taking it easy, I still managed an average or nearly 22kph over 18km, which given that I stopped maybe 3 or 4 times to adjust the quill and the saddle, is significantly quicker than my MTB (with slicks on.)

Anyway, the bike's running pretty smoothly now. Getting used to friction shifters on the downtube, having no brake levers right there when riding on the hoods (?). Need to get my back straighter as my old injury at the base of my back is playing up a bit.

A nice steady 41 miler, on the snotter ( because of all the heavy rain, and nasty weather that the weather forecasters forecast really accurately):rolleyes:.

image.jpg

I stopped for an energy drink, some energy gels, and some moose (sic).
image.jpg

The weather turned awful ( heavy rain, winds, Armageddon ):rolleyes:

https://www.strava.com/activities/292254056

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
After three consecutive weekend rides going west & into Wiltshire I thought I'd have a bit of a change today & head north-east into the Test Valley area of Hampshire where, apart from the state of some of the roads, I always enjoy riding.

Overnight rain meant taking the new Roubaix was out, (in case she melts!), so Roubaix 1 was prepared & I set off just after 10 o'clock in slightly overcast conditions & with a bit of a south-westerly blowing.

The route I'd chosen was one that I haven't done since February & after a very brief encounter with the New Forest, (which means I avoid the deathtrap that is the A36), I headed up through Wellow, Awbridge & Kimbridge to Michelmersh where I pick up the A3057, a not very busy main road. Five miles later at the village of Kings Somborne its back onto minor & single track roads through Up Somborne, Fullerton & Longstock crossing the river along the way.

Lunch was taken on a picnic bench on the pleasant village green next to steam at Nether Wallop & suitable refreshed I continued & headed for home through West Tytherley, West Dean & Lockerley before another brief encounter with the forest.

62.7 miles & my fourth 100k+ ride this month (something I've never done before) & although this was the shortest & the flattest at just 2687ft of going up I think it was probably the toughest, I'm guessing due to the awful state of the tarmac (& sometimes lack of) & although no major climbs, a whole number of short sharp inclines which when you combine the two meant a great deal of concentration & gear changing was the order of the day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/292190782

001.JPG

006.JPG

009.JPG

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My best ride ever, bar none!

I set off with my brothers Keith, Pete, nieces husband Mark and my lad Thomas this morning into a cold drizzle. It was all a bit grim as were dressed for the whole day, not just current conditions. At the top of Barrington hill Thomas had to stop for a blast on his inhaler...
A few miles later we rode up the long road to Great Chishill, then the next few miles were down hill. At Wendens Ambo I'd warned them about the cheeky little hill after a very sharp bend... Pete wasn't expecting Thomas to touch his brakes coming out of the corner! Oh the pleasures of group riding with a novice! On to Saffron Walden and a stop at Bicicletta for a brew and a pastry
image.jpg

The road up to Bartlow had only just been resurfaced and loose chippings were everywhere, not nice.
Out through Suffolk villages, dripping in blossom, verges thick with cowslips.
We stopped at the Affleck Arms in Dalham where the lovely landlady made us sandwiches
image.jpg

image.jpg

An up hill start had us going through beautiful countryside, through Chippenham, Isleham, then a turn into 4 miles of killer headwind into Ely where we met Jo and Joyce at the cutter ferry pub for a drink-75 miles done.
The reason they met us here was so that if Thomas wanted to bail out, he could. His longest ride being 41 miles. Currently he is out of shape, he's been on tablets for 18 months that a side effect is weight gain and he's a lazy bugger to boot so nobody would have blamed him. Jo asked what he wanted to do........

"I may as well complete it..."

To cut a long story short he has just done 103 miles with a sprint at 94 that left us for dead. I just hope this inspires him.

He's inspired me today. I'm as proud, and in awe as can be!

Edit- forgot to say that the average speed was 15mph!

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A milestone for me today - my first 30+ miler since getting back into cycling earlier this year, ending up at 31.14 miles.
Out through Scholes, Barwick, Potterton, across the A64 towards Bramham, up to Wetherby, then looping back on the bridleway on the opposite side of the A1M through the woods to Boston Spa before picking up NCN R66 back to Bramham, up Town Hill, then back onto R66 and down to Aberford, through Parlington Woods and on to Garforth, then up to Thorpe Park before getting back on local roads to home.
Getting near home I noticed that I'd only done 29.7 miles so added on an extra loop including the outer reaches of the Leeds - Bradford Cycle Superhighway to push me through the 30 mile mark.

AndyWilliams

Über Member
A milestone for me today - my first 30+ miler since getting back into cycling earlier this year, ending up at 31.14 miles.
Out through Scholes, Barwick, Potterton, across the A64 towards Bramham, up to Wetherby, then looping back on the bridleway on the opposite side of the A1M through the woods to Boston Spa before picking up NCN R66 back to Bramham, up Town Hill, then back onto R66 and down to Aberford, through Parlington Woods and on to Garforth, then up to Thorpe Park before getting back on local roads to home.
Getting near home I noticed that I'd only done 29.7 miles so added on an extra loop including the outer reaches of the Leeds - Bradford Cycle Superhighway to push me through the 30 mile mark.

Well done Dude - feels good huh!!

D

Deleted member 1258

Ullesthorpe the destination 46 miles the journey, our eldest was treating his Mum to a day out in Liverpool today so once I'd dropped My Good Lady off at the station I had the day to myself. Out of Coventry following my usual route through Wood End Shilton and Withybrook to Monks Kirby, I rode through Claybrook Parva and through Frolesworth, the other side of Frolesworth I turned toward Leire to do a loop through Ashby Pava and back to Frolesworth then on to Ullesthorpe. Leaving the garden Centre I turned right and right again and rode a short section of the A5 before turning right on the roundabout towards Pailton turning off just before the village to ride past the radio station over the motorway down to Harborough Magna, turning left onto the Easenhall road I then turned right then picked up the road through Cathiron and followed the road alongside the canal into Brinklow and on past Coombe Abbey and into Coventry. A cold windy day where the weather couldn't make its mind up, a bit of sun, a bit of cloud, a hint of rain in the air at times, the rain never came to any more than a few spots here and there, fun on the way out with the wind, hard work into the wind on the way back.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
4.5 miles this day, as it was my day for training in CPR at work, and with some other things to do as well, I had only time for a short ride, which was just as well as the mercury barely got above 50F or 10C, with driving wind, and quite a bit of rain this morning, which stopped a bit this afternoon so the wind could pick up a bit more in time for my ride. No flybys on Strava today, I was the only one out there.

Top Bottom