Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
No energy today. So I dragged myself out anyway and manged to find that the old body could still spin the pedals OK. Just a standard loop of 34 miles around the Strensham circuit. Bluebells in fine form in all the usual places. Strangely there was a SW wind. Those seem to have gone out of fashion in recent years. Is climate change changing back?

Don't normally do group rides but one of my workmates suggested that I should go out with our local Cycles UK who organise evening rides through the summer months. They ran two groups. The fast group was to be 16mph and above and the slower group below this. They said we would all set off together and let the two groups naturally separate along the way. I intended to be stay with the slower group as I normally average around 14-15mph but found myself with the faster group! We did an nice ride round the lane with a distance of about 28 miles me and my workmate were the tail end Charlie's but to give them their due wherever the route diverted they would all wait and let us catch up. Really enjoyable evening, nice bunch of people and I managed an average of 16.7mph over 28 miles. Look forward to going again work and shifts permitting.

So after last nights ride I had a more gentle ride into town on my single speed did a few errands and treated myself to a bag of chips ( well I did burn the calories on last nights ride )
I stopped in the park on the way home which is in full spring bloom and looking lovely so cue the chance for a photo op with the bike and a bit of local wildlife who helped me polish off my chips.

image.jpg

image.jpg

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
A twenty five mile round trip comprising what looks likely to be my commute to work. I cheat a little bit by cycling into central Leeds to catch a train to New Pudsey then pedal to Buttershaw thus avoiding one heck of a long slog from the Aire Valley up through Bramley saving three miles of arduous pedalling. I cycle all the way home and have a short sharp climb out of the Aire Valley at Kirkstall before the final few miles back to Chateau Vernon in Meanwood. Mixing it with heavy traffic has been less problematic than anticipated and I've got a buzz out of the journeys. My Fad Lad at the Back jacket has been well received by motorists who give me an appreciative toot and a thumbs up as they overtake me.

howdenbiker

Went out for a 20 mile cycle first thing this morning, saw two barn owls including one that flew in front of me for a while then circled around before veering off. Also saw some hares, lapwings and loads of finches. Also came across this little knitted display for the TourDeYorkshire near Gribthorpe.
bike wool.jpg

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I wasn't sure how a ride would go, as various muscles were objecting due to a combination of hours in the garden shovelling tons of stone a couple of days ago and yesterday in London lugging a heavy bag around various places.
Decided to follow the East Lancs road (A580) towards St Helens and then across Burscough as had planned a trip including the harder side of Parbold Hill. The plan went out of the window when I missed the junction :blush: and not having sat nav on my bike and only realising some way past, I then had to make it up as I went along.
Should by any chance, anyone from Salford HIghways Dept read this, the cycle/footpath alongside the A580, within the Borough, is one in name only. Please take a leaf from Knowsley Borough's example:

IMAG0122_zpsu8uwukm1.jpg
Anyway my a la carte ride took me through Kirby, Melling and Maghull, before heading in broadly the direction of home by taking in Bickerstaff, Rainford and a climb up to Billinge then across to Ashton In Makerfield and down to home.
Glad I took my arm warmers and long sleeve top. Ride started off in sunshine but this quickly disappeared and the air was positively cooler by the end of the ride..
Ride cut short due to home committments but pleased with the 42 miles.

jhawk

Veteran

That shoulder! That cycle path! :wub: Such things I have not seen in many moons! (We don't have them in rural No Funswick.

I'm getting my bikes back over the weekend - still need to order a new tyre for my touring bike, before it goes into the LBS for a free tune-up! :smile: (In exchange for some free publicity!) Can't wait to get back on the road! It's been a long six months. :bicycle::bicycle:

Snoopeh

Regular
My only ride today. ( yesterday ) was the usual commute home from work which turned out to be an extremely wet one. The heavens opened. Not to a bad extent though. Despite the rain I managed a decent time for my uphill commute home despite my first fall of the year. Totally my own fault. Tried to cut across a piece of grass to fast and sharp. Needless to say the bike slid away from under me. Only thing hurt was me pride and it made me a tad wetter than the rain had made me already. But all in all a very enjoyable cycle home :smile:.

13 rider

Guru
Quick afternoon spin 14 miles at 13.7mph .out through Newtown Linford and on and up Polly Botts lane this climb is not getting any easier. On round the edge of Marfield and on to Thornton and down by the reservoir back to Marfield and back to home via Newtown Linford . Strange weather in 1 hour had brilliant sunshine ,cloudy and windy and a few spots of rain . one minute too hot and sweaty then cold come on weather make your mind up. Legs really feeling leaden today for some reason but managed to ride through it . not so many riders out today but everyone nice and friendly. Still managed a couple of PRS on strava one climb I've managed to get my time from 58 seconds down to 39 seconds ^_^ in a couple of months on strava

Top Bottom