Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elysian_Roads

First metric century this morning at 100.6km and 993m climbing. All completed in 3hr 40 at an average of 27.5km/hr. Happy enough with that. First third was a stiff head breeze, second third a cross wind and the final third a good rear ender wind, which was much appreciated. Only mishap was me not unclipping quickly enough in the car park at the start at 0830 (Note to self: loosen the cleats) and tipping over and landing on my left knee bone, which is stiff and sore now but no real harm done other than to pride! And it was chilly. Glad I brought my light jacket but no rain other than a bit of blown drizzle for a while.

Another one in two weeks but which will have about 1200m climbing with two SOB climbs at about 11%.
A like for the metric and not for the mishap!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Nice pootle into Bristol today via the Two Tunnels and Bath to pick up some wireless earbuds from the Apple store. What an excuse for an 80+km bimble. Stopped for a Taiwanese noodle salad and iced fruit tea. The fuel of cyclists. My Surly DT is made in Taiwan so very appropriate I thought. Can recommend on all accounts.

5549465F-A918-4B18-AC81-E234AA448CDF.jpeg

434EC30C-0CEB-4EA0-AFC6-6DE1896ADB3D.jpeg

Attachments

• 2C339492-1926-4D87-A524-6CD52D73325B.jpeg
    2C339492-1926-4D87-A524-6CD52D73325B.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 24

Elysian_Roads

Sunday club ride time again. Everyone was in a very sombre mood at the beginning due to the tragic and unexpected death of a clubmate this week. His wife, usually the life and soul of our social group, bravely turned up at the start to see us off. Sometimes cycling seems so unimportant. I think most of us, at one time or another, have felt the mood-restorative and healing power of a good cycle ride though, and today's ride actually ended up going very well ..... out to Berkeley via Frocester and back via Taits Hill and Cam, then Frampton on Severn. We had a long 3/4 hour break at the Berkeley Tea Rooms yet I still got back about 3 1/2 hours after leaving home, having done 40 miles - whole stretches of it at 20mph. I started this ride feeling glum and with my heart not really in it. I was thinking of it only as a bit of exercise that I didn't really want to do. Actually ended up enjoying it.
Enjoy your rides everyone. Life is short. Make the most of it while you can.
Cheers, Donger.
A like for the ride and the closing sentiment. Sorry to hear about the unexpected loss of a clubmate.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Nice pootle into Bristol today via the Two Tunnels and Bath to pick up some wireless earbuds from the Apple store. What an excuse for an 80+km bimble. Stopped for a Taiwanese noodle salad and iced fruit tea. The fuel of cyclists. My Surly DT is made in Taiwan so very appropriate I thought. Can recommend on all accounts.

View attachment 414771
View attachment 414769

It is the "Land Cruiser" of bicycles? Looks like it could go most places!

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
No ride yesterday with other stuff to do.

Looked out of the window this morning and saw it had clearly been raining and the streets were wet, so with more showers forecast the Giant (with mudguards) was brought back into service after a few weeks off.

With a "light wind" from the southwest, I'd discounted riding too far east as I'd have it in my face on the way back, so up Coal Road it was, then the familiar combination of roads to Shadwell, Slaid Hill and the loop back to Scarcroft via Tarn Lane. A lumpy bumpy descent of Ling Lane and back onto the A58 for the descent through the village then on through Bardsey to Collingham.
A more than 'light' tail wind helped me to an average speed of 30.3mph over the first mile and even having to slow for the traffic lights in Bardsey didn't stop me averaging over 22mph for the 3.6 miles. You've got to love gravity, haven't you? :okay:

Anyhow, silliness over, the dog leg onto the A659 and back off again on towards Linton and over the bridge for the usual undulations to Wetherby, where I turned onto Crossley Street to head for Deighton Road, but found temporary traffic lights at red, cars and works vehicles everywhere and near gridlock, so quickly scooted down the side of the Wetherby Film Theatre and back onto the A661 to go through the town centre. Dodged the pedestrian who stepped out despite looking straight at me :eek: and back onto the planned route and headed north out of town.
Took the left fork to climb up to Kirk Deighton passing the Church and out into the open countryside again through North Deighton, then onto Ox Close Lane just before reaching Little Ribston.

The roads had been quiet up to this point apart from the kerfuffle in Wetherby, but they got even quieter now as I headed between the fields with the sun finally shining through and getting a little push from the wind. I think I only saw three or four cars all the way to Cowthorpe.
Turned left at the crossroads just before Towton to head south along the airfield perimeter, stopping at the entrance to the grandly titled Marston Business Park to take my arm warmers off under the full glare of the security guard in his little box. :hello:

I was starting to pay for the earlier wind assistance as I reached the Rudgate Crossroads, so I stopped for a drink and a couple of pics of the view:
IMG_20180617_101606577_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180617_101615672_HDR.jpg

Heading almost due south now with the wind in my face so grateful for the hedges, passing several groups of riders heading the opposite way, then onto Hall Park Road towards Walton, passing another friendly group heading out of the village. Past the church where another chance for a photo was dismissed due to there being too many people about and back out to the main road, then south again for Thorp Arch.

Down to the bridge where I had to give way today, and the sharp climb up into Boston Spa with a wiggle along Main Street then on towards Clifford.
Through there and down the hill into Bramham, up the hill back out and a brief pause for a Snickers just before the A1(M) bridge, so grabbed a couple more pics:
IMG_20180617_105030281.jpg
IMG_20180617_105045058_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180617_105112126_HDR.jpg

Over the bridge and the climb past Bramham Park, then the long way round to Thorner via Milner Lane to avoid the direct route straight into the wind, but mainly because it's a nicer ride that way.
Down the hill and into the village, only to find a motorist reversing round the blind corner in the middle of the road :eek:
Disaster avoided and on through the village onto Carr Lane for the ups and downs (mainly ups) to Wetherby Road, where a couple of hundred yards saw me onto Coal Road, before the final mile or so to home on local roads.

36.14 miles (58.16km) in 2h 36m at an average of 13.9 mph with 1,617ft climbed

Despite the forecast of showers, it stayed dry for the entire ride and the sun came out for large chunks of it. Even the wet roads had dried out within the first half hour, probably due to the stiff breeze. Another weekend where the forecast has been hopelessly wrong, especially on the BBC...:dry:
Can't complain though, as despite being out on the 'winter' bike, I managed to set a few PB's including taking 25 seconds out of the run from Scarcroft to Collingham. Just imagine how quick I could have been on the higher geared 'best' bike...:laugh:

Lots and lots of other cyclists out which is always good to see and it's another point in the Half Century Challenge - all the better for being unplanned.

Gave the bike a mini-fettle when I got back in - despite being fine when I set off, there were a series of mildly annoying squeaks and rattles by the time I got home, so the chain has been well mickled and the rear mudguard tweeked. We'll see on the next ride...:whistle:

And to end, the map:
17062018.JPG

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This weekends cycling shenanigans. A solo bimble down to the coast. Got out the door at 8am to drizzle rain. Having forsaken the mudguard-less Van Nick for the mudguarded Planet X. It lasted about 40 minutes before clearing off, never to be seen on my cycling specs again. The plan for today's ride was to ride to Brethersden in the Garden Of England to do the Fairies Flat 100k audax. It's being run in July 1st and I have signed up my partner Rachel. She hasn't done an Audax before. She's also a self confessed fair-weather cyclist. So with all the crap weather we have had this year she rather nervous of the distance, not having that much mileage in her legs. But she shouldn't worry, it's a lovey route with only a few lumps to contend with. An ideal ride for those looking to step up with their mileage. 25 miles to Brethersden where I joined the Audax route, heading South and South East towards Dungeness. Hitting the roads around the power stations and coast I was hit by an almighty headwind. Tough old going for a while. Turning north east and east heading to Hythe at least the wind was behind me for a while giving me a welcome helping hand. Hythe Station at mile 70 was a welcome sight. I was hungry, I needed the Egg and Chips that I had promised myself.
Locking my bike up at the Station Cafe I bumped into @Stephen Piper , who was at the cafe waiting for some of his chums. So we had a good natter whilst I demolished my well deserved nosh. Half an hour later I said cheerio to Steve and switched the Garmin back on. The route turned westward for a while so riding through the marshes proved a little tricky with all the swirling winds. At Mile 89 I completed the Audax route and it was a case of reversing the route back to home.

A thoroughly enjoyable ride today. Nothing too tough or strenuous, only made a little harder due to the headwinds at times.
So, scores on the doors. 117 miles for the day. Imperial Century # 10 for the year, #238 overall and a few Eddington's in the bag.
If you are thinking of doing the Fairies Flat 100k Audax, then you're in for a treat, it's a cracker.

170618.jpg

St Thomas Becket Church on the Romney Marsh
20180617_102939.jpg

Dungeness
20180617_111509.jpg

Found this very content looking chap in Hythe.
20180617_121600.jpg

Lympne Zoo and Lympne Castle and in the middle of the pic, the remains of Stuttfall Castle originally built in the 3 Century AD.
20180617_131155.jpg

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
This weekends cycling shenanigans. A solo bimble down to the coast. Got out the door at 8am to drizzle rain. Having forsaken the mudguard-less Van Nick for the mudguarded Planet X. It lasted about 40 minutes before clearing off, never to be seen on my cycling specs again. The plan for today's ride was to ride to Brethersden in the Garden Of England to do the Faeries Flat 100k audax. It's being run in July 1st and I have signed up my partner Rachel. She hasn't done an Audax before. She's also a self confessed fair-weather cyclist. So with all the crap weather we have had this year she rather nervous of the distance, not having that much mileage in her legs. But she shouldn't worry, it's a lovey route with only a few lumps to contend with. An ideal ride for those looking to step up with their mileage. 25 miles to Brethersden where I joined the Audax route, heading South and South East towards Dungeness. Hitting the roads around the power stations and coast I was hit by an almighty headwind. Tough old going for a while. Turning north east and east heading to Hythe at least the wind was behind me for a while giving me a welcome helping hand. Hythe Station at mile 70 was a welcome sight. I was hungry, I needed the Egg and Chips that I had promised myself.
Locking my bike up at the Station Cafe I bumped into @Stephen Piper , who was at the cafe waiting for some of his chums. So we had a good natter whilst I demolished my well deserved nosh. Half an hour later I said cheerio to Steve and switched the Garmin back on. The route turned westward for a while so riding through the marshes proved a little tricky with all the swirling winds. At Mile 89 I completed the Audax route and it was a case of reversing the route back to home.

A thoroughly enjoyable ride today. Nothing too tough or strenuous, only made a little harder due to the headwinds at times.
So, scores on the doors. 117 miles for the day. Imperial Century # 10 for the year, #238 overall and a few Eddington's in the bag.
If you are thinking of doing the Faeries Flat 100k Audax, then you're in for a treat, it's a cracker.

View attachment 414781

St Thomas Becket Church on the Romney Marsh
View attachment 414782

Dungeness
View attachment 414785

Found this very content looking chap in Hythe.
View attachment 414786

Lympne Zoo and Lympne Castle and in the middle of the pic, the remains of Stuttfall Castle originally built in the 3 Century AD.
View attachment 414788
Good stuff! CBA riding this weekend- rather too windy, and didn't want to trust Southern Failways if I rode east. The power station looks as lovely as always :smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

View attachment 414771
View attachment 414769

Mighr I ask, with those racks mounted, why the saddlebag instead of something on the racks?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Mighr I ask, with those racks mounted, why the saddlebag instead of something on the racks?

Just playing about with luggage options. I didn’t need all the space of a pannier and I’m trying to learn to love that seat pack which is from my MTB. I’m thinking of using it more on my Audax bike but I just don’t find it as easy as my Carradice. Maybe practice will make perfect.

bruce1530

Guru
Bit of a strange one today. Rather than starting off from home, I decided to jump on the train fora bit, then explore some roads that I’d never been on before (to pick up some velo viewer squares..)

So started off with a brisk 6k trip to the station. Paused strava and the garmin for the train journey.

15 mins later, I set off from Johnstone, with a route programmed into the Garmin that would take me through some unexplored country roads, and eventually home. A couple of k later, the Garmin crashed.

Restated it, and realised that what had looked like a reasonable zig-zag route on the map was actually very hilly. So quite a bit of climbing, and then exploring some farm roads, eventually ending up at the Sergeant’s Law transmitter atop the Gleniffer braes. Around this point, I realised that I hadn’t restarted Strava on the phone when I got off the train....

Half way down the hill, the GPS told me to leave the road and follow a path.... definitely passable on a bike, until I can to the barrier/fence saying “path closed”. Back the way I had come, and down the hill.

My plotted route then wanted me to go back up up a very steep climb towards a golf course. Like a fool, I did - this quest for Veloviewer tiles can be obsessive. The GPS then said to follow a path around a reservoir - but after trying for about 20 yards, I realised there wasn’t actually a path there! Turned back, down the hill again. 25k gone, had planned to do 50, but to get back on the route I had originally wanted would take ages, with even more hills. Plan B - head back towards Paisley/Johnstone, and pick up NCN7 there.

When I got to Elderslie, I checked the online train timetable. I could pick up a train home from Lochwinnoch, further along the NCN7, in 28 minutes. Google Maps said it was 7.8 miles away, and would take me 41 minutes.

Its a nice flat route, and I made it to the station with 2 minutes to spare. But my platform was deserted, and it said the next train wasn’t for 30 mins. But there WAS a train at the expected time, on the other platform, going the other way. Yes, that’s the one that the online enquiries service had told me about - get on it, head back to where I had been half an hour ago, then change platforms and get the express home!

Eventually home, with 2 GPS trails - one from the phone, one from the garmin - each of which only covered part of the journey - so a bit of cut and paste to join them together.

Here’s the middle section, about 40k.

Too much reliance on technology!

upload_2018-6-17_22-47-53.jpeg

Buck

Guru
Well, strictly this is my ride from yesterday (Saturday)

I go away with a small group of friends every year for a long weekend and this coincides nicely with our birthdays. Two of us are keen cyclists and the other two, well, not so keen but generally good fitness and up for a challenge so....

A planned route in the North Yorkshire Moors setting off from near Whitby and a lumpy route of 50 miles and around 4,500 feet was the order of the day.

After the journey over to Sandsend and a bit of last minute planning on Friday, we were out of the door relatively early into light drizzle and cloudy skies and headed along the country lanes, avoiding Lythe Bank which would have been a bit harsh in our first mile of the ride! In comparison, the route was more undulating apart from when you hit the valley bottom, cross a ford and deal with a couple of warm up climbs of 20%+ ! Everyone made it and we were soon at our first stop of the day enjoying a bacon sandwich for breakfast.

Unfortunately, the weather forecast was mixed for the day and we had our first downpour as we were in the cafe. No worries as we were soon off heading west on the A174 before it headed north near Ellerby and a long fast descent before we took a left turn and headed onto Newton Lane. This was one of those lanes with lots of gravel and grass growing down the middle. Just after crossing the ford we had the steep and challenging climb up to Borrowby, more so because of the amount of gravel and potholes on the road (poor planning on my part!). We all got to the top safely even if a little out of breath!

0064ACDB-DB0A-4404-8777-0D7DB7B174ED.jpeg
EEFF2122-5F8A-4B6F-97E5-C65BCBE3D383.jpeg

I’d tried to avoid the main roads but there were limited choices in parts so we headed back towards the main road and rejoined the A171 past Scaling Dam before being glad of turning off and cycling north to Easington.

We then had a less than scenic run through Loftus, Britton and New Skelton before heading south through Lingdale and Stanghow. We’d hoped for a stop nearby but the place was closed so we pressed on.

We rejoined the A171 for a short climb up the hill before turning off onto the Smeathorns Road. A desolate and long climb up onto the top of the moors and boy, was that wind in our faces. At the top we regrouped but one of the lads was feeling the effects of the lumpy bits and had cramp in his leg. A short stop with fluid intake and a gel had him feeling much better and we then rode across the tops of the moors with unhindered views in all directions.

58BEBFAE-E5F1-42E7-B06A-62FF5B250D9F.jpeg

The long climb was rewarded with the excellent descent into Castleton where a pub lunch and a longer than planned rest allowed cramped legs to recover somewhat before pressing on!

We had a lovely run into Danby then another long pull up Brier Hill and Park Bank just as the sun and blue sky joined us.

B57886B0-2341-4DB0-AD6B-9DECA45184C9.jpeg
22B0BB47-6325-42F1-A29F-C158A9207598.jpeg

The views at the top across the vale were breath taking and worth the breath taking climb to get there!

7CE42287-A836-40C2-AA21-BDD987635980.jpeg

We carried on with just sheep for company and then after a few miles it was back up and rejoining the A171. Here we took an immediate right and down to Egton where the Tour de Yorkshire passed through this year.

After a brief stop we carried on to Aislaby where the blue skies disappeared and we had thunder and torrential rain. We took shelter in the village pub but the rain wasn’t abating so we gritted teeth and road back as quick as it was safe to do in the conditions avoiding the flood water where we could but still getting thoroughly soaked !

All in just over 50 miles and 4,491feet of climbing - my longest distance this year to date and also my highest climbing in one ride since starting. Fantastic ride made better by the company and banter.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1642579941

https://www.relive.cc/view/1642579941
1E27D4CC-5D17-43D9-9A47-57EC4036854A.jpeg

A bit of a mixed feeling ride today. Set off on TPT towards Oxspring with the aim of going up through Wharncliffe Woods. Turned back after a mile as it was solid with bikes and walkers. Headed for Dunford bridge.
Winscar and the Holme valley lifted my spirits nicely.

On the 35mph downhill back to Thurlstone a nice chap in a Mercedes decided to reverse priority and reserve my side of the road well in advance to pass a parked car. Tit, but anticipated so hit the brakes and gave him a cheery wave.

Crossing back towards TPT on single lane tarmac a chap walks out of a house with dog. Looks me in the face and walks up the middle of the road to block me. His OH then jogs out 5 feet in front of me without looking and walks on oblivious. I just say 'Lovely day' and both realise I've been there all along and make snide comments after I pass.

Now I know why I prefer Saturday rides.

Dodged the rain, knees a little sore, but being out in our gorgeous countryside trumps it all.

Top Bottom