Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Ride from last Thursday

With alarms going off at 5am we headed for the buffet breakfast before the ferry docked. That was a super meal to set us up for the long day ahead. Underway from the port groups disappeared at the Grupetto formed again. We climbed away on a very busy road. It was the morning rush hour but also not the quieter road that Ken had planned. The climb was taken steadily to reach the 400 meter summit where excellent views could be had over the Golfe de Sagone. A fast descent took us to the beach where some time ago hero Ken had rescued a young lass from drowning. We had a few miles of flat where there was a regrouping at Tiuccia for coffee and cake. A bit more flat was welcome before we turned inland at Sagone. Now the climbing really started. Granny gear time for sure but taking things steadily up and up was the theme. Cramp was setting in with some. Colin was having a big problem for sure but he was not alone. There are relatively easy sections on the climb but there are ramps of up to nearly 15% too. Eventually I reach a building named Auberge du Col. Col Saint Antoine. The top it seems, but no! Now we really have a very steep section, maybe the steepest. 14% for a while. I needed a lower gear so zig zag was the tactic. The scenery was epic tho'. Wonderful mountains all around. Somewhere, on a long long upward section the support Van had stopped. There were a few getting bottles filled and I did the same. Water was running low tho'.

Eventually the summit arrived. Col de Sevi. Dropping down there was some activity around a little cafe in Cristinacce in a dip between Cols. Service was slow so many moved on. I filled my bottle again tho' as experience says fill it at every opportunity. Clouds had been gathering and spots of rain began. Colin, Jim, Rob and the Forest's Martin were around. Steadily steadily we ground out our own rhythm. Eventually the top appeared. 1500 meters and there was a little shack of a cafe. More folks resting and restoring the inner man here. Some were dealing with cramp. Phil arrived in the van telling tales of a deluge further back down the mountain. We'd been lucky with those few spots at Cristinacce. Poor guys back there got a soaking. At least it was warm rain.

Dropping off the Col was not as rewarding as might have been expected. We had ridden over an administrative boundary and this administration clearly didn't prioritise tarmac. Rough as a bear's arse comes to mind. Doc Andrew and Gordon were encountered on the way down and at Calacuccia Swanners had found a food stop. So we stopped. Danny joined in too.

Just as it was time to head off again Tim with Stubbsies I and II rolled up. So I waited and then Ken and Bear appeared. So now the Grupetto had reformed. Bear took the lead down a lovely road through a craggy gorge which followed the river. With 30 miles still to ride a bear stop was called. Doc Pete joined us for that. We rode bit and bit towards Bastia and on the run in we avoided the main road taking to some smaller lanes. Navigating by Sat Nav can be super in unknown teritorry. Doc Pete had certainly had enough and it was getting rather late. The Sat Nav took us straight to our hotel where our dinner awaited. It had been an epic day in the saddle. nearly 10,000 feet of climbing all in the first third of the ride meant there were not many who didn't know about it today. But everyone survived! 113 smiles and nearly 10,000 feet of up.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Ride from last Friday

Today was an unusual GV day. French ferries had cancelled sailings to Elba where we had planned a ride so plan B had us having the morning off to catch a midday ferry to Livorno. Ticketing issues meant I was in the van with Steve and Phil. The van had been booked on in preparation but it was bigger than declared. So we were not allowed to board. Much to-ing and fro-ing as well as some words exchanged between our leader and the "contoller" got us on a reserve list and moved to first reserve. So we waited for some time. With riders and bikes on board but all the kit in the van it would be a bit tricky if the van was left behind. Sailing time came and went. Consultations by radio occurred too. Eventually the barrier opened and we were on board, driving over a ramp which was being disassembled ready for departure. Last minute stuff and much relief.

Aboard for 4 hours it was time for chats and beer and rest. Disembarked the Grupetto reassembled. Stubbsy I had a flat and his spare failed too. Then Fred hit a pothole. Flat and a dead spare too as well as a dented rim. Finally Tim punctured. A traffic accident was causing chaos too. So we arrived at dusk, very late for dinner. Eat before shower this time. Now that was an eventful 20 miler - 5 inner tubes with holes in!!! 24 smiles

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Ride from last Saturday

It was a big group that headed out this morning. The miles rolled fairly well and steadily. I asked Horny if his bike was OK (he broke 3 last year). "Fine" he said. On the next slight uphill he broke a spoke. Me a Jinx? No - not me. The first climb arrived and the group split. I found myself with Fred, Tim and both Stubbsies. We were riding through some beautiful countryside with rolling hills and woods and fields. A bit reminiscent of parts of the UK without the rain. Tuscan hilltop villages appeared around. Nightingales made themselves known singing from the bushes.
We rode steadily towards Volterra high up on a hill. Surely we go around that? No - it was a long climb to the top. Matt, Spence and Cherry turned up ready to go sight seeing. We headed off instead getting some water and drinks from a roadside bar. We were riding through some lumpy rolling but superb countryside. A hilltop fort appeared so we paused wondering if climbing up there would provide lunch. It did. Monteriggioni provided some pappardelle and wild boar in a lovely walled village setting. Such a lovely spot a bride and groom turned up to get married in the church.

We hadn't seen any riders or back up since Volterra but our group was settled into a rhythm. We chose to ride by Siena where others got involved with a gay pride march and enjoyed 15 euro cokes. I hit a bad patch. Fred and Tim alternated with setting a helpful pace at the front with a bit of headwind we could have done without. I just rode through it as best I could. A stop for drinks and ice cream at Ambra helped a lot. It took some more miles after that before the bad patch began to evaporate. But there were only a few miles left to enjoy my second wind as we rolled into Arezzo. Lovely scenic ride in warm to hot weather. Thanks for getting me through that patch guys. 102 smiles

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Last Sunday's ride

A big group headed out after a Team photo this morning. The first hills broke it up and I find myself detached. There are riders around at Anghiari where a very steep street drops us down through the village beside the old hilltop fortress. With hands on brakes I'm unable to tap the sat nav so miss the tiny alley I need to go through. Instead I find I'm at the bottom and need to climb back up. Cardiff Martin makes the same mistake and Swanners rides up asking if I've used a shortcut. Not sure what route he took. It's time for a stop and the Swiss group have found a lovely bar at Motina. It's hot so shade is required so I join in.

Underway we round a lake and begin a very steep climb on a very rough road. There's regrouping at the junction with the bigger road we join before we continue climbing to Castelnuovo where again the climbers wait for the less able. It was a lovely fast descent to Svolta del Podere where Ravioli and Tagliatelle was washed down with white wine and water. Lots of motorcyclists gather here so we knew it would be good.

It was now a fairly steady run downhill all the way to the Adriatic. On one fast descent the road turned very rough and one bottle took to the air. It was nowhere to be found. Probably disappeared down the steep slope at one side of the road. There's a nagging headwind which makes the ride harder than required at this stage of the Tour. A cafe stop at Ponte Santa Maria Maddelena allowed the Grupetto to catch up. So we joined forces as we skirted around the Republica di San Marino. We were following a river valley and the route took to a gravel track. MtB aces Swiss and Ade vanished up the track while others were less speedy. Tim punctured for the second time and some grumbles lead us to employ the sat nav to return to tarmac. It was busy tarmac but we made it into Arezzo with no more trouble. Indeed we were in before Swiss!

We'd finished the ride! Time to pack the bikes and kit in the van and swim in the Adriatic. Celebrations were called for too. 385 miles and 29200 feet climbed. Time for a rest. 85 smiles

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As mentioned at the end of yesterday's ride, today was a slow day on the MTB between longer road rides. Out to the far side of the A14 to pick up the Candlet Lane bridleway and back into Walton to purchase a bottle of drink (I'd left one prepared at home in the fridge!). Then down to the outskirts of Felixstowe Dock to pick up a series of bridleways that run along the edge of the rail freight spur line and through some woods before heading behind Trinity terminal to Trimley Marshes - an area I've not been along in years!

Trimley Marshes (2).JPG

There's a bridleway that runs alonside the river wall all the way to Levington past tidal lagoons, fishing lakes and through a yacht marina and I'd forgotten how lovely the area was, especially when there was nobody else using the track so I could take it nice and slow to take in the view. Once the track ran out, I rejoined the road through Levington, Bucklesham, Kirton & Falkenham before repeating the Candlet Lane track & part of the area around the Dock before heading home.

Yet another metric 50, with a metric 100 planned for tomorrow!
Screenshot-2018-6-20 Garmin Connect.png

Nothing special here, just a quick 7 mile loop this evening to blow away the cobwebs: Downham Common, Downham, Downham Hythe, Adventurer's Drove (and Corker's Crisps), Pymoor, O Furlong and home.

Quite a blustery headwind between Downham and Pymoor, which meant the descent of Mill Hill wasn't as "wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!" as usual, but was treated to an absolutely *amazing* sunset.

And when I rolled up to my gate at the end of the ride, there was a barn owl perched on my porch.

Sunday club ride time again. Everyone was in a very sombre mood at the beginning due to the tragic and unexpected death of a clubmate this week. His wife, usually the life and soul of our social group, bravely turned up at the start to see us off. Sometimes cycling seems so unimportant. I think most of us, at one time or another, have felt the mood-restorative and healing power of a good cycle ride though, and today's ride actually ended up going very well ..... out to Berkeley via Frocester and back via Taits Hill and Cam, then Frampton on Severn. We had a long 3/4 hour break at the Berkeley Tea Rooms yet I still got back about 3 1/2 hours after leaving home, having done 40 miles - whole stretches of it at 20mph. I started this ride feeling glum and with my heart not really in it. I was thinking of it only as a bit of exercise that I didn't really want to do. Actually ended up enjoying it.
Enjoy your rides everyone. Life is short. Make the most of it while you can.
Cheers, Donger.
Weird like Donger but its only for letting us know how fragile life is. Really sorry to read about your mate and my condolences to you his friends & family.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Weird like Donger but its only for letting us know how fragile life is. Really sorry to read about your mate and my condolences to you his friends & family.
I assume you meant it felt weird to like that post ... and you weren't claiming to be weird like me!:wacko:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today's planned ride almost didn't happen! Took the local train to Ipswich only to find the one to Lowestoft had been cancelled and the next service was an hour later. However, to give kudos to Greater Anglia, they allowed me to use the mainline train to Norwich and the service to Lowestoft from there which my ticket wasn't valid for. In the end I actually arrived at Lowestoft 15 minutes earlier than by using my intended train.

The ride itself was effectively a repeat of one I'd done in May, but with a couple of changes to keep away from one main road and simply because I could. Out of Lowestoft and over the River Waveney to Carlton Colville and out into the countryside - Mutford, Sotterley, Peasenhall, etc down to Saxmundham then Snape, Rendlesham, Woodbridge, Bucklesham and home.

Very strong wind all the way and not as much of an assistance as I'd hoped - more westerly than north westerly as forecast but, once the sun came out it was quite pleasant. At the start I was wondering if I should have used knee & arm warmers while shivering outside Lowestoft train station.

Another 100km in the book, this time on the Spa, and tomorrow will be a quiet day followed by a weekend off the bike at Brands Hatch & Rockingham.
Screenshot-2018-6-21 Lowestoft to Trimley Ride Strava.png
Screenshot-2018-6-21 Lowestoft to Trimley Ride Strava(1).png

pjd57

Veteran
First decent run after my holiday.
Met my mate on the canal , with only a vague plan of a route.
Headed to Yoker for the ferry to Renfrew, but it wasn't there.
No signs , just no boat.
Clyde tunnel, then headed to Paisley and on to the cycle path to Lochwinnoch.
Pleasure to ride on it. Newly resurfaced. No litter, no glass.

Coffee stop overlooking the loch then we headed home.
Passing cyclist , going too fast and too close at a tight corner shunted me into a fence at Paisley Canal station.
Few scratches, nothing major.

Until I tried changing gear. Left hand shifter is done in.

New one ordered , £50.

But at least the other guy acknowledged it was his mistake and apologised.

Strava is still playing up on my new phone.
So it was roughly 50 miles.

No signs , just no boat.

Passing cyclist , going too fast and too close at a tight corner shunted me into a fence at Paisley Canal station.

New one ordered , £50.

A like for the ride, not for the trip into the fence. Or the unplanned expense. :hugs:

Elysian_Roads

No signs , just no boat.

New one ordered , £50.

The same as @Reynard, glad you came out of it relatively unscathed.

xzenonuk

Veteran
legs are still sore and my stomach was been dodgy but i got the mtb out again for my shortest ride in a long while, took the cycle track from queensferry to kirkliston then took the shared use path back alongside the road, my stomach was not kind to me hence how short that night ride was lol

5.71 miles, i was only getting warmed up :sad:

the rockrider 540 feels like a new bike with the new fork, and i keep wanting to go out on it all the time, the front feels so light, about a kilo of weight shed off it i reckon and im still getting used to how it handles, it feels wierd but a lot better, feels like a different bike :smile:

noticing that a lot more people are suddenly looking at my bike with the white fork lol

Top Bottom