Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After two weeks off and the ride with the sister in law notwithstanding, I took part in the self proclaimed “Saga CC” Thursday night chain gang ride organised by the group’s fastest (and oldest) member.
When the route came up on the groupchat I was filled with dread as I had visions of the last one where it went a bit “Pete Tong” for me! Not only that, but these aren’t really what I want from cycling as I much prefer endurance style distance rides but it had been a while since the last one so I couldn’t really gripe about it.

On arrival to the meeting point at Barton Marina I suggested we actually did the route in reverse to what was plotted as there was a small bridge to cross over the Trent almost immediately after setting off which, at that particular juncture in time, was heaving with traffic with no passing places and also because we could head out into a headwind and get it behind us on the way back.

We agreed that’s what we would do and we set off. No real climbing of note occurred, just rolling roads taking in parts of East Staffs/ Tamworth/ North Warwicks/ South Derbys and I’m pleased to say that this time I was finally able to keep up with them!!:wahhey:

And furthermore I was able to take the lead on occasion to share the work of the chain so I’m pleased with that.

We stuck together like glue as a cohesive unit and it paid dividends as we were able to do 42 and a half miles in 2 and a quarter hours, averaging 18.7mph in the process. I believe were it not so blowy, we could’ve tipped 19, although Tim and Martin’s wahoo elemnt bolt units suggested they did- which is odd considering that mine and Will’s Garmins said 18.7 and we were all together the whole time, but I suppose that’s for a “Garmin vs Wahoo” debate maybe on another thread.......:whistle:

All in all, a good and not overbearingly tiring ride and because Tim was late he got the beers in at the marina which is great because you need a small mortgage to buy a round in there!

42.4 big ones in 2:16.:okay:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1653399328

https://www.relive.cc/view/1653399328

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
First decent run after my holiday.
Met my mate on the canal , with only a vague plan of a route.
Headed to Yoker for the ferry to Renfrew, but it wasn't there.
No signs , just no boat.
Clyde tunnel, then headed to Paisley and on to the cycle path to Lochwinnoch.
Pleasure to ride on it. Newly resurfaced. No litter, no glass.

Coffee stop overlooking the loch then we headed home.
Passing cyclist , going too fast and too close at a tight corner shunted me into a fence at Paisley Canal station.
Few scratches, nothing major.

Until I tried changing gear. Left hand shifter is done in.

New one ordered , £50.

But at least the other guy acknowledged it was his mistake and apologised.

Strava is still playing up on my new phone.
So it was roughly 50 miles.

A lucky escape. A similar thing happened to my brother a couple of years back. He broke 2 bones in his forearm. Obviously there was nothing wrong with the other bloke!

A utility ride for me this morning - 8 mile round trip to Littleport via Downham Common and Black Bank. Picked up mum's prescription from the surgery and bought a bunch of bananas in the Co-op.

Was lovely to be out in the :sun: and see all the pretty poppies and oxeye daisies on the verges, but somehow I contrived to have a headwind all the way. :banghead:

Only one other cyclist about - a little wee toot on a balance bike. Hopefully another Lizzie Deignan in the making... :smile:

C R

Guru
Working from home today, so squeezed a 10ish mile ride at lunchtime. Quite windy, with the same problem as @Reynard, it was a headwind all the way around, the only physical way I can imagine that happening is going round the eye of a tornado opposite its rotation.

Anyhow, lots of cyclists around, two of them I passed twice, as if they were doing the same circuit in the opposite direction. They must have had a tailwind all the way :laugh:.

Up through Littleworth, over the railway bridge towards Stoulton, but turn right for Wadborough, then over the level crossing, past Pirton church and then right again, up the short Pirton climb then Stonehall Common and down Hatfield Bank. 10.9 miles at 15.3 mph, fastest for me in this circuit so far.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After doing some fettling yesterday I got out on the Raleigh again today and headed for the hills as I haven't been up onto the Long Mynd for a while.

The route today took me to; Condover, Acton Burnell, Leebotwood, Woolstaston, High Park, Wild Moor, Pole Bank, Midland Gliding Club, Nutbatch, Hamperley, Church Stretton, Hollyhurst, Longnor, Ryton, Condover, Lyth Hill and home.

It's a bit cooler out today with a north westerley wind that seemed quite strong when I set out and gave me a good boost for the first few miles. No hold ups for cattle this time and I was soon at Leebotwood and starting the long climb up onto the Long Mynd. This bike feels fairly easy to climb with so I was able to enjoy the scenery and made it a personal challenge not to go below a certain gear on the steepest bit.

At the top of this climb I paused for photos then carried on across Wild Moor. The wind didn't seem so strong now and in the sunshine it didn't feel too cold either. I encountered the resident ponies while crossing the moor then climbed up to the summit where the views were good as always but not as far reaching as on some occasions due to haze in the distance.

Although the wind was less strong it still helped me across the plateau to the gliding club, dodging sheep on the way, then I was on to the Starboard Way which is the permissive path round the back of the club that avoids the active part of the airfield. A glider was launched while I was riding this path and I hoped they'd get another ready to go so that I could get a photo, however there wasn't any sign of them doing so by the time I rejoined the Portway so I carried on.

The Forestry Commission plantation looked like something from the alps today with it being dry and dusty with a brilliant blue sky overhead. I start my descent off the hills here which I enjoyed a lot.

After Hamperley the road is very sheltered for a while and it was quite cold under the trees. After descending for a while my legs had stiffened up so the short climbs on this bit were an effort.

I'd seen a couple of walking groups already and there was another at the foot of the steep descent from Minton (we're into the season for school and college groups to be out, wandering round looking lost and trying to make sense of these weird things called maps) then I let a vehicle past on the approach to Little Stretton which couldn't actually go much faster than me due to the narrowness of the lane.

Onto wider, flatter roads again it was easier pressing on. I very nearly flattened a postman on the way into Church Stretton when he strode out into the road without looking either way as he was engrossed in checking the addresses on the letters he was holding. I left a streak of rubber on the road in my haste to stop - he was most apologetic.

A conveniently timed gap in the traffic meant crossing the A49 onto the old roman road was no problem then I had a nice run into a gentle headwind until almost at Ryton where I came up behind a blockage caused by a tractor and trailer meeting the bin wagon on a bit of lane that either vehicle completely filled. Luckily there was an open field entrance nearby and with a bit of manouvring everyone was able to go their respective ways.

At Condover I decided I did't fancy the stretch on the main road today and went over Lyth Hill instead where the view is much better, especially in conditions like today.

39.9 miles at 12.9 mph average. Happy with that given how much climbing there is on this route.

DSC0006583.jpg

A pause for photos/a drink at the top of the High Park climb.

DSC0006584.jpg

DSC0006587.jpg

Encountering the Long Mynd ponies.

DSC0006590.jpg

At Pole Bank (Long Mynd summit). It's a bit hazy to get the best views today.

DSC0006592.jpg

Crossing the plateau en route to the gliding club.

DSC0006594.jpg

On the Starboard Way.

DSC0006599.jpg

The descent to Nutbatch.

DSC0006600.jpg

Further down and looking back the way I've just come down. I love the rich blue of the sky today.

DSC0006604.jpg

The Green Dragon at Little Stretton. (Nice place - good for meals).

DSC0006605.jpg

A cuddly monkey hanging from a monkey puzzle tree a bit further up the road.:laugh:

Slick

Guru
This ride was last Sunday, I kept meaning to post it before now but it was a pretty hectic week.

This was a 3 loch challenge ride that a guy from work had been threatening to take me on ever since I noticed it on Strava. We first planned it for Friday night, but that was a washout. We tried again for a Saturday morning but once again, a washout. So come Sunday morning, we decided to give it a go despite suspicious looking clouds gathering.

We left from a fairly bright Balloch heading towards Helensburgh via Loch Lomond along the cycle path. It can't be more than a few miles before we turn off for Glen Fruin and it was obvious that the last few days were wind and rain as the natural debris on the path was becoming a concern. We turned on to the Helensburgh road when my mate advised I would be better on the path rather than the road which I reluctantly agreed to but after just a few seconds I got a visit. Thankfully it wasn't long before we were underway again and whilst we were stopped, there was quite a number of cyclists out on what looked like a TT as they were certainly going for it.

We avoided the big hills on the haul road, going over the Glen on a road I'd never been over before. It was still a pretty steady climb and did give us some great views over the Gair Loch but this was the first time I've ridden with this guy and he was looking to make progress so I didn't like to tell him I was stopping to take a couple of snaps so i just carried on. It was great to see the large number of cyclists heading in the opposite direction travelling at a fair rate of knots even if one or two were a couple of entitled nobbers expecting us to cycle in the gutter to allow them the full use of the single lane, they were 8n the main very polite and personable with what looked like m8xed ability so I'm not sure if it was handicapped in anyway but they were stretched out over quite a distance. We soon reached the top and more good views over Loch Long and obviously Coulport, the home of Trident. We timed it pretty well as the army were out on manoeuvres and they kindly held open the locked barrier which allowed us to cross over for the short downhill sprint to Arrochar. The rain had started by this time and the sky had got pretty dark. Not the best pictures and they certainly don't do the area justice.
A blurry picture of the army boys.
20180617_101608.jpg

Looking back towards Lochgair.
20180617_101542.jpg

The rain was getting heavy by the time we reached Arrochar so we stayed on the road for the ride to the cafe stop. We rode in single file, quite close together but as we prepared to turn in I became aware of the road of the engine of a car coming behind me far too fast. He overtook me fairly close just as a car came round the corner from the opposite direction and he almost took my front wheel off as he pulled back in between the two of us then had to stand on the brakes to avoid hitting my mate. As I pulled in, another car pulled up and started shouting at me. I could only think, loom give me a break but it was them that got a fright as they thought the car had flattened me and were looking to act as a witness. I thanked them for their concern and put it behind me.

The remainder of the ride back from Tarbet back to Balloch was a fairly run of the mill 20 mile flat run following Loch Lomond. We did nearly have an embarrassing moment as we both went down the gears for a short sharp incline when my mate almost stopped dead as his chain came off and I swerved to avoid him leaning back a bit on the bars nap popped an accidental wheelie that @jefmcg would have been proud of.

I'm not sure if it's the monthly challenge or just a bit of OCD but the 42 mile length annoyed me so I spun the last 4 miles each way down a local cycle path to bring my total for the day to 50 miles.

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Went out after work for a quick 40 miles before dinner. After three miles I bumped into (not literally) a horse riding former colleague who was impressed that I'd only left work 40 minutes earlier. Five miles further on I met a red squirrel on the road, the first one I've seen when cycling. I got quite close, but not close enough for a photo. After riding work based frustrations out of the system I stopped for a photo at Traquair.
IMG_20180622_171839.jpg

I carried on over a climb known locally as the Paddy Slacks then descended to the B709 / A708 crossroads at the Gordon Arms. Decisions decisions ...
IMG_20180622_174840.jpg

Plan A was to turn left for home but it was such a fine evening and not yet six o'clock, so more than four hours till sunset, which tempted me to go straight on and over the Berrybush. At that moment a strong gust of wind blew fantastic cooking smells from the pub...
IMG_20180622_174858.jpg
... which made me realise I was hungry and also indicated that there was a good tailwind down the valley. Plan A prevailed.
The thought of food was now stuck in my head. Had I burned all my calories? Was this why I was starting to see double?
IMG_20180622_181357.jpg

Carrying on with a hand over one eye l made it home safely.

The map...
upload_2018-6-22_21-59-13.png

40.6 miles @ 15.8 mph, 2440 feet upness.

Spartak