Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Struggled with motivation a little today but did drag myself out for a shortish ride taken at a more pootling pace.

The route was Lyth Hill, Condover, Boreton, Berrington, Cross Houses, Attingham Park, Upton Magna, Uffington, a loop around the centre of Shrewsbury and home.

It's a bit warmer than yesterday and I should probably have taken some water with me. A northerly wind so I rode round in the wrong direction to make the best of it really.

Going through Boreton was a last minute decision as I approached the junction. I also decided to ride through the ford there as the level was low (I usually take the adjacent footbridge). I didn't think it was quite that rough when I last rode through.

Attingham was quite busy with visitors and it surprised me how busy the road to Upton Magna was as well. The road to Uffington wasn't though and I saw more cyclists than cars on that section.

Getting into Shrewsbury I braved the traffic along Smithfield road and found it was slow moving enough to keep up with fairly easily. The Quarry is hosting the Shrewsbury Food Festival this weekend so it was busy along Victoria Avenue and the majority of the park was fenced off.

I finished off with a slightly convoluted route home taking in a lot of quieter streets and cyclepaths.

21.8 miles at 12.4 mph average. This ride brings me up to dead-on 3,000 miles for the year to date. I doubt I could have managed that if I'd planned it.:laugh:

DSC0006609.jpg

Cricket match under way at Condover.

DSC0006610.jpg

Sunken lane en route to Berrington.

DSC0006611.jpg

Crossing the old Atcham Bridge.

DSC0006612.jpg

Taking a tour through Attingham Park.

DSC0006614.jpg

Along the riverside at Castlefields, Shrewsbury.

DSC0006615.jpg

A glimpse of the food festival through the barriers.

DSC0006617.jpg

Plenty of people along Victoria Avenue.

DSC0006618.jpg

Tourists taking in the sights on Sabrina.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
A fourth annual outing with @rb58 , @Trickedem , @Mark Grant , @ianrauk , and postie Mark of this parish from Doncaster to London. That was my intention, anyhow.
It was a slightly chilly night as we rolled out of the forecourt of Doncaster's art deco train station at midnight, and the 42 miles to the first refreshment stop of the evening at the 24 hr Tesco in Lincoln was covered in 2 and a quarter hours.
The usual photo stops along the old railway station at Stixwould, at New York (the village, not the City), and the leaning tower of Surfleet were done (would post photos, but see the ANGRY ps at the end of this post), and the second stop at Spalding was reached after a chain failure on my part.
At this point with a lot of regret, I decided to bail. Im confident I would have completed the 200 miles to Liverpool Street, but not at the pace that was being set - I'm showing 15.2mph for the 93+ miles to Spalding. We were already 1½ hours later than last year at that point, and I really didn't want to be holding the team up for a possible arrival in London at 6:30 to 7-ish, when all had big onward journeys home.
Sorry guys, but it was the best decision all round for everyone and THANK YOU for what is always a great ride. 103 miles for the day for me, in total.

p.s. Photos - I've been a member of CC for nearly 9 years and I have tried repeatedly and failed every time to post photos to posts. I've followed all the instructions that various people have given me. I can never get them to appear - the nearest I get is as above.
JUST WHAT F###ING BLACK MAGIC DO I NEED TO DO TO SIMPLY MAKE A PHOTOGRAPH APPEAR???
Sorry, do I sound cross?

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
A fourth annual outing with @rb58 , @Trickedem , @Mark Grant , @ianrauk , and postie Mark of this parish from Doncaster to London. That was my intention, anyhow.
It was a slightly chilly night as we rolled out of the forecourt of Doncaster's art deco train station at midnight, and the 42 miles to the first refreshment stop of the evening at the 24 hr Tesco in Lincoln was covered in 2 and a quarter hours.
The usual photo stops along the old railway station at Stixwould, at New York (the village, not the City), and the leaning tower of Surfleet were done (would post photos, but see the ANGRY ps at the end of this post), and the second stop at Spalding was reached after a chain failure on my part.
At this point with a lot of regret, I decided to bail. Im confident I would have completed the 200 miles to Liverpool Street, but not at the pace that was being set - I'm showing 15.2mph for the 93+ miles to Spalding. We were already 1½ hours later than last year at that point, and I really didn't want to be holding the team up for a possible arrival in London at 6:30 to 7-ish, when all had big onward journeys home.
Sorry guys, but it was the best decision all round for everyone and THANK YOU for what is always a great ride.

p.s. Photos - I've been a member of CC for nearly 9 years and I have tried repeatedly and failed every time to post photos to posts. I've followed all the instructions that various people have given me. I can never get them to appear - the nearest I get is as above.
JUST WHAT F###ING BLACK MAGIC DO I NEED TO DO TO SIMPLY MAKE A PHOTOGRAPH APPEAR???
Sorry, do I sound cross?

Sorry to hear that you can't upload photos. :hugs:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Sorry guys, but it was the best decision all round for everyone and THANK YOU for what is always a great ride.

Sorry, do I sound cross?
A like for the report. I'm not sure what the problem is with the photos. I've had a rummage behind the scenes and as far I can see your settings and permissions are all completely standard so I'm none the wiser. One for @Shaun's attention when he has a moment.

theloafer

Legendary Member
after 3 weeks of no rides thought it best to drag Karon out as our cycle trip up in Scotland is getting close and there was a need to get some miles in her legs ..lol ended up almost 62 miles and was a little more lumpier then i remembered(an AGE thing) but the lass did really well and did not twist that much at all :laugh: karon route info as my garmin died at the ice cream place :angry:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1657325184

WP_20180623_002.jpg

WP_20180623_005.jpg

WP_20180623_007.jpg

WP_20180623_009.jpg

WP_20180623_010.jpg

WP_20180623_013.jpg

WP_20180623_016.jpg

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
We got back from Isle of Wight yesterday
Here was the last ride
https://www.strava.com/activities/1650240005
18.09 miles @ 16.4 mph
1040 feet climbed

Decided to include a few more north south-ish parts

Total was about 150 miles with bout 9750 feet climbed
As you can see it has quite a high feet/mile ratio
You missed out a lot of feet in the miles. Srsly. A full lap is about 4,500-5000ft in 67 miles.....

StuAff

Sorry, do I sound cross?
If it's Flickr, and if it is I have this problem, you need to edit the (very long) URL that the sharing option gives you. Use the BBCode option (the short URLs in Share do not work for me), and find the URL for the .jpg file itself, nothing else, crop out all the rest. I usually just do that in the CC add photo dialog box, but you might find it easier to do in a text editor.
EDIT: A picture of the late, great Stanley Squires attached by way of example.
35490324316_f27387fea7_h.jpg

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Up and out of the door at 5:15 this morning to get the train to Kettering for 50 mile explorer square grabbing ride. Went so early as I had a stretch on the A43 to ride that I wanted to do as early as possible and also I promised our lass I would get back early so we could go to an open garden event.

Off the train and straight into grabbing some easy squares around Kettering before heading towards Corby A43 was a doddle, only a few cars and they gave me plenty of room but I wouldn't want to ride on it during the week, skirted around Corby and round Rockingham speedway, the stand at that place is huge!

Then the highlight of the ride, I descended into a village called Harringworth, there is a railway bridge there that is a thing of beauty, it was massive. It must have been close to half a mile long. I took a photo on my phone and will upload it shortly. The photo only covers about a third of the bridge. After that I had the only real climb of the day as I went through Seaton before turning back south to go through Corby bagging squares along the way.

Back to Kettering, on the 10am train and home well before 11. Bagged all the squares I went for plus a bonus one I got on the fly by riding into an open field for 50 yards or so and back ^_^

Pub for dinner with our lass, some cheap plants at the open gardens and bike is now ready for CC forum ride tomorrow.

A90C31FD-0E01-4C50-967D-05A972A5841D.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/1656274373

Last edited:

StuAff

Sorry guys, but it was the best decision all round for everyone and THANK YOU for what is always a great ride. 103 miles for the day for me, in total.

Sorry, do I sound cross?
Awesome effort. I'd have been slower still (probably) and unable to get the Friday off (almost certainly!). A mere ton for me today.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
If it's Flickr, and if it is I have this problem, you need to edit the (very long) URL that the sharing option gives you. Use the BBCode option (the short URLs in Share do not work for me), and find the URL for the .jpg file itself, nothing else, crop out all the rest. I usually just do that in the CC add photo dialog box, but you might find it easier to do in a text editor.
EDIT: A picture of the late, great Stanley Squires attached by way of example.
View attachment 415851
Hi @StuAff , thank you, but these are not flickr. They're just standard .jpg files. I'm sure it's not the the fact that I use an iMac (is it?) - I can't be the only one, and in any case, it's never worked for me off a PC either.

Off the train and straight into grabbing some easy squares around Kettering before heading towards Corby A43 was a doddle, only a few cars and they gave me plenty of room but I wouldn't want to ride on it during the week, skirted around Corby and round Rockingham speedway, the stand at that place is huge!

Looks better from the other side, might I add :laugh:

IMG_8381.JPG

StuAff

Hi @StuAff , thank you, but these are not flickr. They're just standard .jpg files. I'm sure it's not the the fact that I use an iMac (is it?) - I can't be the only one, and in any case, it's never worked for me off a PC either.
Not a Mac thing (typing this on a 2009 vintage MacBook). If the files are local, that's the issue I think. I don't think the CC software can deal with adding images that aren't on a server somewhere. If you upload them to a photo hosting site of your choice, or set up an album on CC, that should sort it.....

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Direct uploading of pics to the post works for me on my MacBook Pro.

In other words, drag jpegs onto desktop, click Upload a File in the post composition box.

That should open a Finder window, highlight the jpeg, click open at the bottom of the finder window, and the pic should upload via a progress bar at the bottom of the post composition screen.

You will then have a choice to post thumbnail or full image.

I think that's easier than messing around with photo sharing software, although @topcat1 is good at that because it allows him to link to the lots of pics he takes on Fridays rides.

The direct uploading method I described is, I believe, limited to 10 pics.

Old jon

Guru
Not a Mac thing (typing this on a 2009 vintage MacBook). If the files are local, that's the issue I think. I don't think the CC software can deal with adding images that aren't on a server somewhere. If you upload them to a photo hosting site of your choice, or set up an album on CC, that should sort it.....

Just wondering a little. Every pic I have posted on here have all been *.jpg files from local storage, i.e. not on a server somewhere. The pic below was the best shot I could take this morning of the alligator in a local park . . .

IMG_3179 (2).JPG

Oh, full path D:\jon\Pictures\2018\Brazil\In the Park

Top Bottom