Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
WP_20180624_06_01_16_Pro.jpg

Up at dawn this morning; my new favourite time of day to spend a couple of hours on the bike. Beautiful light.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
It was my ride yesterday but haven’t had chance to post until now.

I’ve not been on the bike for a very long time due to health issues and work commitments, but i’m feeling better and have the week off work so yesterday I ventured out! Since i’d not been in the saddle for any distance for several months I was just going to plod to Sandwich and back a distance of about 14 miles, but a couple of miles into my ride I came across my friend out on her bike. She was also on her way to Sandwich and possibly going on into Deal, so we carried on together. We got to Sandwich and we both felt pretty good so decided to carry on to Deal.

Got to Deal and stopped at what used to be Route One cycle cafe, but it’s now changed hands and is no way near as nice as it used to be so won’t be stopping there again!

Had a slight head wind on the way home but nothing too challenging, but my legs were beginning to let me know that they were not used to being used again! Thoroughly enjoyed my ride though and was nice to have some unexpected company too.
View attachment 405011
View over the Port of Ramsgate
View attachment 405012
We found a friend at Pegwell country park
View attachment 405013
Nice lawn!
View attachment 405014
Someone turned up to play golf in their helicopter!
View attachment 405015
Deal pier
View attachment 405016
26 miles instead of the planned 14, a little bit slower than normal but very enjoyable.

That's a nice flat route and forms part of my feelgood route when I've not been out for a while or need some easy miles. Once I've climbed out of Dover it's downhill all the way to Deal then flat to Pegwell Bay with just a short rise past the Viking ship any then through Pegwell onto the esplanade past the knitted lamp post.

DSC_0226.JPG

When going through Ramsgate one of my little rituals is to go to the lighthouse at the end of the pier in the Middle of the harbour .

DSC_0228_1.JPG

Then a few ups and downs round to Margate with a trip to the end of that harbour arm too.
DSC_0632.JPG

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Good afternoon. Another 18 miles for me today in beautiful weather and not a cloud in the sky.

Lot's of traffic today, must be the weather ^_^. Quite a few cyclists as well including 2.roadies male and female who were clearly part of a club with matching gear and there was me in cycling shorts a T shirt, cap and an old pair of trainers that I keep just for when I on my bike :laugh:.

Just a couple of pics today.

20180624_110600.jpg
20180624_110609.jpg
20180624_110256.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Went hell for leather to make it back from our club ride in time for the big kick off today. Made it just in time, but having to sit here in my sweaty kit for the first half [GOOOOAAAAAL!!!!]. Glad I didn't miss that!

A fantastic 42 miler in the sunshine today. Out through Stroud and up Bear Hill to the Bear at Rodborough ... a big, solid, Germanic-looking pub that wouldn't look out of place in Bavaria if it was called the "Bar von Rodburg". From there we sped along Minchinhampton Common and stopped off at the Jolly Nice Café at Frampton Mansell, where a couple of our clubmates who were not cycling today were already installed at a table in the yurt when we got there. A great descent down Cowcombe Hill on [PENALTY!!!!!] the way back to Stroud, followed by a lovely ride along the lanes through the Severnside villages to get back for kick off. Loads of other cyclists out there today. Stroud Valley Velos, Dursley Wheelers, a bunch from Bristol and loads of ones and twos.[GOOOOAAAAAL!!!!!!. Two-nil!]

Sundays don't get much better than this. Enjoy your rides everyone.
Cheers, Donger.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Decided to consolidate my climbing work on the IOW with a hilly ride

The 4 hill were Green Dene and Holmbury St Mary going south, and Leith Hill and White Doen heading back north.

Leith is the biggest, though White Down is the steepest at 18%

54.59 miles @ 15.2 mph

2789 feet climbed

Edit add Strava link
https://www.strava.com/activities/1659036616

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A massive thanks to @rb58 @Trickedem @mark st1 @CharlieB and @Mark Grant
Sometimes it's not just the riding that makes cycling great, it's the brilliant company too.

Friday night was the 5th running of our Doncaster to London ride. 200 miles or so riding south from Yorkshire back to London. The ride may be pan flat but having 13 hours riding in the saddle and lack of sleep means that it's not the easiest of rides. It takes a lot of concentration to keep the bike in straight line in the middle of the night when the doozies hit. Thankfully we only had 4 hours of darkness. Though it didn't really get dark. You could still see remnants of daylight during the night. The sun making a very early appearance at 4.39am. The weather Gods were good to us. Playing kindly with little wind and good temperatures (though it did drop to 6degs sometime during the night), a bit of cloud cover for most of the day saving the old sunburn for another day.

So scores on the doors. 204 miles Doncaster to London Victoria Station. (A total of 220 miles including riding to the stations and back.
Imperial Century #12 for the year, #240 over all. Double imperial ride #8
And a new Eddington number as a bonus. 113

Roll on to the 2019 edition.

It looks a long way on the map.
route.jpg

Doncaster midnight
20180622_235454.jpg

Charlie on the road. 1am.
20180623_021824.jpg

Tesco Lincoln. 4am the first pit stop. Doozies.
20180623_030754.jpg

Stixwould old railway station, dawn.
20180623_043509.jpg

Stixwould, sunrise
20180623_044203.jpg

Stixwould. Mist over the canal
20180623_043907.jpg

New York and it's 10 mile long straight road
20180623_052746.jpg

Leaning church of Surfleet
20180623_064825.jpg

London is that way................
ezgif-3-87da7f685a.gif

I was asleep even before my head hit the pillow last night. I'm resting today. ^_^
Back on the commute tomorrow.. I may take the long way :bicycle::okay:

Woke early and sunshine again . Back out on the MTB . Went out round the golf course and did a couple of town loops . Then headed up to my sisters for a cuppa . Then out round the Ind Est to the garden centre looking for something i sadly couldnt find. Bumped into a mate and went for a cuppa in the cafe. Then back up to the High school and down the back path and off to my mums. Another cuppa then off home via Lidels . 9 MTB miles in all today , very nice in the sun. You could say the bike got in the way of a good cuppa session today but great to be out never the less.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The guesscasters got it right for today, so it would have been rude not to take advantage and get out on the bike.

On the Pro Carbon again and I wrestled with the handlebars at the top of the street to head towards Barwick Road as it was about time to do a route that didn't involve the same old roads (very nice though they are!).

So, through the dip over Cock Beck and the drag up the hill to Scholes, past the Coronation Tree and up again, before starting the long descent to Barwick.
Met the motorised muppet of the day early today, pulling out of a side street in Barwick causing me and the car behind me to brake, then faffed about at 10mph for a few hundred yards, before putting the indicator on at the last second and stopping outside the newsagents...:dry:
Anyhow, along Main Street and more descending all the way to the second crossing of Cock Beck, and the climb up Cattle Lane for onward undulations to Aberford.
I've got to say, it was blooming glorious cycling weather - warm and sunny but not too hot and just a sniff of a breeze :sun:

Through Aberford and the climb up to Lotherton Gates, before the long descent down to the Crooked Billet pub, where at the last second I decided to turn left and get a pic of the bike in front of St Mary's Church at Lead, stood in wonderful isolation in the middle of a field:
IMG_20180624_090024765.jpg

I didn't go any further - I'd already ridden down the rough track from the road and was wearing clipless shoes so didn't fancy tackling the field full of sheep / sheep by-products. Maybe next time I'm out that way on the hybrid.
Anyway, back up to the road and left, then after a little way right up the hill and into Saxton, where a couple of hundred yards along Main Street brought me to Headwell Lane and the slight climb out of the village, then drop down to the A162, through Barkston Ash and onto Common Lane for the dead straight run to Church Fenton. Over the railway bridge and through the village and onto Bracken Hill Lane and back out into the countryside on the singletrack road past the airfield, between the fields and then over the East Coast Main Line and all the way to Ryther. I haven't ridden this way in an age and it reminded me how nice it is out here - and as flat as you can get in Yorkshire!
Left and back over the railway to Ozendyke and then to Ulleskelf where I stopped for a couple more pics:
IMG_20180624_094133751_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180624_094218457_HDR-EFFECTS.jpg
IMG_20180624_094251784_P.jpg

Another cyclist pulled just as I was setting off, so we had a very quick chat and I was on my way back to Church Fenton to complete the airfield loop.
Back through the village and retraced my outbound route back to Barston Ash, but then stayed on the A162 a bit longer, taking Saxton Lane into Saxton.
This is another lovely quiet singletrack lane, but the heat and lack of breeze meant there were a lot of little flying things out - not good when you've got hayfever…xx( ^_^
Another leg of Main Street and onto Coldhill Lane and out of the village past the cricket club, climbing steadily all the way.
Pleased to see that Linda's Bench has been replaced, so stopped there for a Snickers and a couple more photos, getting a very cheery "Morning" from a passing group of cycling ladies:
IMG_20180624_101723515_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180624_101952183_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180624_102011096_HDR.jpg

Back in the saddle again and heading for home now - it had warmed up considerably in the sun but it wasn't too hot as the road snaked up to the drop onto Copley Lane, then heading back to Lotherton Gates passing a sneakily placed Speed Camera Van on a bend under some trees, no doubt targeting the many motorcyclists who were out that way (and who'd all behaved impeccably around me all morning).
Left at the junction for the long way round to Aberford past Hook Moor Wind Farm (doing nowt today) and under the A1(M) bridge.
Got into a really good rhythm on the long straight into Aberford and past the "Slow Down" sign.. :whistle:
Left onto Cattle Lane to reverse the outbound ups and downs to Barwick, then more climbing through the village and almost to Scholes, before swooping down to the Coronation Tree, then dropping down Leeds Road, crossing Cock Beck for the sixth and final time of the day and onto local roads up to home.

33.13 miles (53.31km) in 2h 17m at an average of 14.7mph with exactly 1,400ft climbed and an average temperature of 19.6°C

That was a good ride. It was one of those days when everything just clicks and it's why I go out cycling - today was payback for all those days I've been out in the rain and the wind and the cold. ^_^
Fairly fast (for me :laugh:), albeit fairly flat* for this part of the world and pretty much perfect weather.
It's another point for the Half Century Challenge too - another weekend with back to back rides.
Loads of cyclists out, as busy a Sunday morning as I can recall, and with one exception all the motorised road users were playing the game - even the Valentino Rossi wannabees ^_^

And to end, the map:
24062018.JPG

* - the middle section was so flat that you can see the bridges over railway lines on the elevation profile

Last edited:

shirokazan

Veteran
My first imperial century for over 7 years

Something of a last-minute decision but decided to attempt a 100 mile ride: an itch that's been waiting nearly a year to scratch...

I had been working since early May on building up the mileage - I wouldn't recommend my rather haphazard method which amounted to little more than getting out on weekends when I could and upping the mileage by silly amounts each time. And having failed to get out last weekend, I was unsure that I'd be able to complete a 100 mile distance. Equally concerning was that even if I did, what state would I be in by the end of it? Nevertheless, a quick planning session on cycle.travel website came up with a route, but as loading routes to my old Garmin is a bit of a faff, I decided to wing it by relying on memory for the route (plus a few photos on my mobile of the on-screen map). Well there were a few errors later on in the ride, in areas that I know less well, but I succeeded in getting that century ride.

The first part of the ride was straightforward enough on roads I'm familiar enough with but I made a mistake when heading towards Hanslope by turning off the B road too early and having to go through Haversham instead. After that it was fine and I enjoyed (if that's the right word) getting into the hillier stuff around Weedon Bec and southward from there. But I was getting slower and missed a turning south of Westbury and ended up in Finmere. Luckily, I half-know the roads around there so was able to improvise a route to Steeple Claydon, where I would be back on plan. All told, I was pretty tired by the time I got back home at 7.45pm. Earlier in the ride, I thought I'd be home around 6ish. Hmm.

105.88 miles (170.40km) in 7h 55m. Cycle.travel reckons this included 1200 metres of climbing.

Here's what I rode...

route.png

And here's a few shots from the day:

First up...crossing over the Great Ouse on the old stone bridge near Tyringham:
IMG_20180623_131656.jpg

Next...ventilation shaft for the Blisworth Tunnel (Grand Union Canal):
AF1QipOi7QHPdX9SwK2ff-oD7bqQgS_91gqeX4fRNnCV

IMG_20180623_143328.jpg

Scarecrow Festival at Syresham:
AF1QipNcFkQ-jJ96SrZBuz1M3Z0pq09Bzb0Lzwv21HaG

IMG_20180623_165415.jpg

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A massive thanks to @rb58 @Trickedem @mark st1 @CharlieB and @Mark Grant
Sometimes it's not just the riding that makes cycling great, it's the brilliant company too.

Friday night was the 5th running of our Doncaster to London ride. 200 miles or so riding south from Yorkshire back to London. The ride may be pan flat but having 13 hours riding in the saddle and lack of sleep means that it's not the easiest of rides. It takes a lot of concentration to keep the bike in straight line in the middle of the night when the doozies hit. Thankfully we only had 4 hours of darkness. Though it didn't really get dark. You could still see remnants of daylight during the night. The sun making a very early appearance at 4.39am. The weather Gods were good to us. Playing kindly with little wind and good temperatures (though it did drop to 6degs sometime during the night), a bit of cloud cover for most of the day saving the old sunburn for another day.

So scores on the doors. 204 miles Doncaster to London Victoria Station. (A total of 220 miles including riding to the stations and back.
Imperial Century #12 for the year, #240 over all. Double imperial ride #8
And a new Eddington number as a bonus. 113

Roll on to the 2019 edition.

It looks a long way on the map.
View attachment 415979

Doncaster midnight
View attachment 415980

Charlie on the road. 1am.
View attachment 415983

Tesco Lincoln. 4am the first pit stop. Doozies.
View attachment 415987

Stixwould old railway station, dawn.
View attachment 415984

Stixwould, sunrise
View attachment 415985

Stixwould. Mist over the canal
View attachment 415986

New York and it's 10 mile long straight road
View attachment 415989

Leaning church of Surfleet
View attachment 415988

London is that way................
View attachment 415992

I was asleep even before my head hit the pillow last night. I'm resting today. ^_^
Back on the commute tomorrow.. I may take the long way :bicycle::okay:

Deserves a 'We're not worthy, we're not worthy':notworthy::notworthy::bravo:

Maybe, just maybe, I'll manage that kind of distance next year...

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After avoiding being blown to bits this morning, my daughter decided that she was bored, just before kick-off. Since I'm not a huge ball whacking fan, we decided to try the tandem to the park. On the whole a very successful 4 miles. Communication is key, and very quickly we had coasting, stopping, pedal and fidgeting off to a T. Less successful was the p*ncture on the way home, on brand new Marathon Plus Touring. Front end went wobbly and we walked the last half mile.
Repairs at home found the inner tube damaged on the rim tape side, and caused due to sharp edges on the holes. Offending edge and others sorted, we're now ready for our next adventure:smile:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
In my quest to get fit again I jumped on my Cube once the football had finished and did a steady ride around the Gransdens. There seems to be a headwind from all angles today, or maybe it's just me....

Not many birds around, a few yellowhammer and some Swallows clothes pegging on phone wires.
The yellow flowers are receding now, there is a mist of blue in the air from blue tufted vetch, scabious and meadow cranesbill.

No speed record broken today. 20 sunny miles.

IMG_0151.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/1659489530

Mrs M

Guru
My first imperial century for over 7 years

Something of a last-minute decision but decided to attempt a 100 mile ride: an itch that's been waiting nearly a year to scratch...

I had been working since early May on building up the mileage - I wouldn't recommend my rather haphazard method which amounted to little more than getting out on weekends when I could and upping the mileage by silly amounts each time. And having failed to get out last weekend, I was unsure that I'd be able to complete a 100 mile distance. Equally concerning was that even if I did, what state would I be in by the end of it? Nevertheless, a quick planning session on cycle.travel website came up with a route, but as loading routes to my old Garmin is a bit of a faff, I decided to wing it by relying on memory for the route (plus a few photos on my mobile of the on-screen map). Well there were a few errors later on in the ride, in areas that I know less well, but I succeeded in getting that century ride.

The first part of the ride was straightforward enough on roads I'm familiar enough with but I made a mistake when heading towards Hanslope by turning off the B road too early and having to go through Haversham instead. After that it was fine and I enjoyed (if that's the right word) getting into the hillier stuff around Weedon Bec and southward from there. But I was getting slower and missed a turning south of Westbury and ended up in Finmere. Luckily, I half-know the roads around there so was able to improvise a route to Steeple Claydon, where I would be back on plan. All told, I was pretty tired by the time I got back home at 7.45pm. Earlier in the ride, I thought I'd be home around 6ish. Hmm.

105.88 miles (170.40km) in 7h 55m. Cycle.travel reckons this included 1200 metres of climbing.

Here's what I rode...

View attachment 416015

And here's a few shots from the day:

First up...crossing over the Great Ouse on the old stone bridge near Tyringham:
View attachment 416019

Next...ventilation shaft for the Blisworth Tunnel (Grand Union Canal):
AF1QipOi7QHPdX9SwK2ff-oD7bqQgS_91gqeX4fRNnCV

View attachment 416020

Scarecrow Festival at Syresham:
AF1QipNcFkQ-jJ96SrZBuz1M3Z0pq09Bzb0Lzwv21HaG

View attachment 416021
Lovely bike :okay: