Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Saturday morning ride out to Norton Heath, Normaly stop for a bite to eat at the cafe, but as it was such a nice day we decided to ride on and find a nice pub with a gareden, and we where in luck, stopped in a nice little pub in Fyfield. nice cheese and pickle sandwich washed down with a nice cold beer.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1656763450
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
You don't need me to tell you it was a luverly day today. Not having been out all that much of late I made the not very difficult decision to remedy that.

Familiar roads on the whole but I did take a brief detour down some minor roads and bridleways that I had not done before. Interesting because at one stage I ended up in the middle of a field of wheat. I stopped and looked around and for 500m on all side it was plants. Felt like I was swimming. I took a couple of photos.....................but they were all of my forehead and ear.

So anyway.

Across the park and to Harrogate Road. North and turned for Eccup Reservoir where there was a field of ................small blue flowers. I'm sure they have a name but small blue flowers will do.

IMG-20180624-WA0004.jpeg

Down to the reservoir which by the looks of it means a hosepipe ban anytime soon.

IMG-20180624-WA0006.jpeg

Close by the reservoir I found some old friends.

IMG-20180624-WA0014.jpeg

So after a bit of chat and neighing and catching up it was on round the back of Eccup towards Weardley and Rawden Hill.

IMG-20180624-WA0020.jpeg

Looking west and slightly north up Wharfedale towards Arthington and Pool and Otley.

IMG-20180624-WA0024.jpeg

I took the Arthington Road towards Pool-in Wharfedale and took a small detour to get a snap of Arthington Viaduct. You can often see it in photos but mostly from a distance. I did take another couple from the other side but looking into the sun it's no surprise they were rubbish.

IMG-20180624-WA0026.jpeg

A right in Pool and over the wharfe and I made for Leathley where I stopped to get a snap of the church. Which would have been ok but for Valentino bloody Rossi photbombing me. I swear he wasn't there when I took it.

IMG-20180624-WA0030.jpeg

Leathley led onto Stainburn led onto Almscliffe Crag

IMG-20180624-WA0038.jpeg

and a view back across and along the Wharfe valley.

IMG-20180624-WA0042.jpeg

North Rigton next and a drop to Dunkeswick Lane and a wait at the railway level crossing. Right on the Harrogate Road and a swift left towards Kirkby Overblow where I did my good deed for the day. It was unappreciated. :sad: A group of cyclists in front of me out for a similar Sunday jaunt were split into several small groups. Three women at the back one of whom decided to fill up on a chocolate bar, and promptly dropped the wrapper deliberately on the road. Well they were going very slow and I was catching them but still going quite slow so I stopped and collected said wrapper. Put on a spurt and told her she dropped something
'Oh did I ? Thanks for telling me. ' No problem I said and handed her the wrapper. Of course I could have just stuck in my pocket and forgotton about it. But where's the fun in that.^_^
As I carried on i think I caught the words 'smartarse' and 'pompous' but I'm not sure tbh. Even so it's better than being a slack arsed, litter dropping troll. IMHO.

So bouyed up by a bit of banter I pressed to Neatherby and up through Chapel Hill and down into Sicklinghall.
Normally I would carry right on to Linton or Wetherby but being in no rush I turned right on the high street and found a little lane that I hoped would lead me eventually to Wood Hall Hotel & Spa. So eventually I came to the end of the lane and all that was left was a bridleway. Two to be exact. I took the one to the left, which almost as soon as I began it I thought it might be the wrong one. Nevertheless i carried on around fields and past hedgerows, through copses, more field edges yet another copse and after a bit I stopped in the middle of a golden expanse of wheat. (still on the bridlepath mind) I wish the photos I took came out as I intended, it was quite a sight. Then as I imagined would happen I met up with Trip Lane, which actually leads to Wood Hall Hotel so I wasn't far off where I meant to be.
I took a couple of snaps of the hotel which is in an impressive setting but theres not enough room for them on here.
Into Linton and a brief stop at the bridge

IMG-20180624-WA0044.jpeg

it look so peaceful and tranquil doesn't it? Just the spot for a dip, as you can see. The problem is the water out from the back is very deep and as the river swings around the bend it generate strong currents that aren't apparent from the shore. Quite a few people have been drowned in just this spot.
I told the lady about the signs on the bank indicating the dangers and she called her partner and the lad back so maybe I'll get my place in heaven despite everything else.

from there it was Collingham and up the hill towards Harewood House and left into and down through East Keswick up the other side and along the ridge into Shadwell. And............back home past the park.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/24684968

Just under 38 miles with about 2500 ft of up.

Average speed was slow but it wasn't a dash of any kind. More a jaunt to enjoy the fresh air and the countryside.

Last edited:

TigerT

Veteran
Two Rides this week.

Tuesday was a bonus ride. I'd completed all my tasks at work, the sun was out and all I had to stay for was a meeting. That got cancelled at 13:30 so I asked if I could go early. Went home and got straight out on the bike for a ride over to Baden and Back for dinner. A nice little 50km ride I was not expecting.

Yesterday I didn't get out on the bike. A friend wanted to go up a mountain and walk back down again. We went to Mt Rigi near Luzern and got the cog railway to the top and eventually made it the whole 11.5 kms back down again. It was quite a challenge for me, it was very steep and the paths were quite difficult in places so....

Today I woke up and my legs were aching a lot I did wonder if I should go out or whether to stay at home and rest. I decided to give the ride a go and although aching, the legs were working quite well. So I set out to Baden again, this time cross country rather than main roads. The weather wasn't the best, lots of grey clouds, but the temperature was nice and no rain was forecast, so I had a coffee and a well deserved cake and decided I'd try a bit further. Iheaded out on a ride I've done before out into Birmenstorf, Brugg, Niederwenigen then around the edge of Zürich airport and home. 87kms.

Good ride, but the legs really are showing there disapproval now

Didn't stop for many pictures - I think I've probably posted better ones before but here are a couple.

fullsizeoutput_194e.jpeg
Crossing the river at Stilli.
fullsizeoutput_194d.jpeg
Out in the middle of nowhere near Endingen.
fullsizeoutput_1951.jpeg
And a map.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
My ride Friday, finally broke the 100 mile mark - first time since breaking a few bones in 2016. 166Km Blaby - Countesthorpe- Wiloughby Waterlys - Peatling Parva - Arnesby- Wistow - Great Glen - Little Stretton - Kings Norton - Ilston on the hill - Alexton - Stockerston - Eyebrook reservoir - Stoke Dry - Lyddington - Seaton - Harringworth - Laxton - Blatherwyce -Bulwick - Southwick - Cotterstock - Tansor - Fotheringhay - Nassington - Apethorpe - Kings Cliffe - Blatherwycke - Harringworth - Lydington - Stoke Dry -Great Eaton -Drayton - Nevill Holt - Medbourne - Welham - Cranoe - Tur Langton - Kibworth Harcourt - Fleckney - Arnesby - Patling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby

Very sunny, glad I had the factor 30 on but my eyes were hurting at 2pm so stopped in the shade for a bit. Other events - chain came off after ilston on the hill -no idea why was ok for the rest of the ride but I've since tweaked the limit screws, also road blocked due to deer crossing near Apethorpe. Its a long ride - and hilly although I did it last year I realised my frame had a crack in it so went home via the shortest possible route so only did 140 odd km. Frame repaired, and slightly longer route home this year took me over the 163km mark. Photo of Foheringhay church - currently having some restoration work done. Lovely ride.

fgay church.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My first ride around the lanes of Leicestershire today in great company. @13 rider @Supersuperleeds @Lilliburlero @tallliman @Chris Doyle + Martin.
The ride and route has been posted a several times already, so nothing to add to the ups, downs and general lumpiness of the route. Looking at the Strava profile, we were in a continuous state of 'up' for 10 miles just before the Nice Pie cafe stop!

IMG_5962.JPG

IMG_5959.JPG

Hence, the need for a nice pie :hungry:
:thumbsup:

The route back was as pleasant as the route there, and before i knew it, we were back in the car park in Husbands Bosworth.

IMG_5964.JPG

@13 rider even planned for an ice cream van to be at the finish!! Top man :laugh:

(Edit: I forgot to mention the double wasp stings on my neck on one of the downhill runs... Ouch Ouch :thumbsdown: )

67 miles, in the best weather, in great company.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1659136217

:smile:

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
My first ride around the lanes of Leicestershire today in great company. @13 rider @Supersuperleeds @Lilliburlero @tallliman @Chris Doyle + Martin.
The ride and route has been posted a several times already, so nothing to add to the ups, downs and general lumpiness of the route. Looking at the Strava profile, we were in a continuous state of 'up' for 10 miles just before the Nice Pie cafe stop!

View attachment 416117

View attachment 416116

Hence, the need for a nice pie :hungry:
:thumbsup:

The route back was as pleasant as the route there, and before i knew it, we were back in the car park in Husbands Bosworth.

View attachment 416118

@13 rider even planned for an ice cream van to be at the finish!! Top man :laugh:

67 miles, in the best weather, in great company.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1659136217

:smile:
The ice cream van was pay back for your lovely fruit cake to set us up for the ride

Mr Celine

Discordian
Having spent all morning painting woodwork under a blazing :sun: I couldn't wait to get out on the bike but thought it best to try a route with some shade. I headed south to Hawick and made a rare foray south of the River Teviot. I've lived in the Borders for 25 years now and for most of that time my work has included visiting clients at home, so there are very few roads I've never been down, but today I managed to find a couple. A lovely ascent from the Slitrig Water in deep shade with an almost overwhelming smell of wild garlic was one of the highlights. This road eventually meets the A6088 where there is a roadside war memorial which I've never noticed before, either in the car or on the bike.

IMG_20180624_153352[1].jpg

Then another new road to me, past Cavers Kirk.

IMG_20180624_153948[1].jpg

Something seemed to be missing from the view north, namely a couple of hills. On the left are two of the three Eildon Hills and on the right one of the two Minto Hills.

IMG_20180624_154632[1].jpg

I thought I'd ask one of the locals about the curious view and the missing hills, but he didn't look very friendly and didn't say anything. I thought it best to back away slowly without blinking.

IMG_20180624_154352[1].jpg

Having made my escape I found myself in more familiar territory in Denholm, where I stopped for a coffee and a bit of cake :hungry: .....

IMG_20180624_160034[1].jpg

.... and noticed this house opposite, with its three randomly sized windows.

IMG_20180624_160053[1].jpg

As always when passing through Denholm the Pink Panther theme earworm started up and kept me company for the rest of the ride home.
The map -

upload_2018-6-24_22-13-17.png

47.8 miles @ 14.1mph 3435' ascent.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
@Mr Celine it looks like you have ridden around South America!

Had a spare hour between the end of the footy and the start of the F1 highlights, and well, such a lovely summer's evening just called out for a wee bimble.

Did my short "I-don't-have-much-time-but-want-to-get-out-on-the-bike" loop - but the other way round to the other night. So O Furlong, Pymoor, Adventurer's Drove, Mill Hill, Downham and home. Had an annoying little headwind all the way from Pymoor to Downham, and this way round also meant tackling Mill Hill the hard way, rather than much more gradual climb from the other direction. My legs weren't feeling too good, but somehow I managed that nasty little climb with several cogs to spare.

Saw another wonderful sunset, encountered two other friendly cyclists - a chap on a town bike heading to the pub, and an older fella with a luxuriant grey beard riding a nice roadie.

I did get outrun by a very large hare on Downham Common, and there was a barn owl sat on the porch again tonight. Must be his or her usual perch, I guess. That would certainly explain the bird poo on the gate...

xzenonuk

Veteran
took the mtb out earlier and ended up doing 17 miles, went through dalmeny estate and went the off road route hit the very steep hill which knackered the hell out of me, had to stop at the top panting like a fiend for a few minutes, reckon thats my best warm up in ages and much thinner people stopped behind me before getting up it lol

got to try out my new fork on the bone rattling bit, it goes down at a steep angle and then bends back up in the middle and all dirt with added old cobbled road half buried, it was a right bone rattler on my old fork but the new one actually dampened a lot of it.

went from there to silverknowes and cycled it's whole length, wish i didn't quite do that as theres a bin lorry place at that end and it stinks, then went back and chilled a wee bit before heading back.

i was amazed at the amount of bikes i seen earlier compared to winter riding, it was totally packed at silverknowes, there was about 20 bikes locked up at one spot and other guys popping wheelies back and forward.

all in all a good ride with loads of steep hills, only one slightly close pass, and my bike is drawing more attention yet again with the new fork, i never move away from it so unless i get mugged for it all good lol

C R

Guru
Beautiful day again yesterday. Out of the house early to avoid the subtropical midday sun.

Decided to try a new route. Down Carrington Bridge and along the A4440 in the cycle path. The bit between The Ketch and Powick is narrow and very uneven, so progress was slow, 10mph average, but I don't feel brave enough to ride on the road even at this time of the day.

Past the Powick roundabout the path is better, so got to the turn for Bransford making good time. The road towards Bransford dips towards the Teme, which I used to gather some speed to help up the short ramp towards the Bank House roundabout.

On towards Leigh Sinton I was catching up with a group of three roadies, but they carried on in the main road, while I turned left into Stocks Lane towards Newland. I was expecting more of a climb here, but it was reasonably easy, though I managed to unship the chain twice with misjudged changes down to the small ring.

Across the A449 towards Madresfield, and then on to Gualrdford, past Hanley Castle and then Upton went fairly quickly. I was enjoying the riding so much that I forgot to take any pictures.

Once past Upton it was across the A38 towards Pershore, turn first left to Earls Croome and then Kinnersley, High Green and a left towards Wadborough passing Pirton Church. I was starting to flag a bit now, so stopped for a breather and a couple of photos.
20180624_082755.jpg

St Peter church in Pirton.
20180624_082846.jpg

To the other side the Malverns, and in the mid distance "Pirton Castle".

Then on over the level crossing, past Wadborough, over the final level crossing, Littleworth and past Norton church for the final push home.

I had expected to be doing about 23 miles, but turned out to be 29.5 miles at 14.2mph with 780 feet of up. I was a bit annoyed that I was so close to the metric half without realising, I could easily have added a couple of miles to push me over the distance.

Quite tired, and probably need to build up more for the distance, but confident now that the metric half is a feasible target.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Good morning . I got out early today as it is going to another very hot day.

My usual 16 mile bimble done.

A pic of a field that I saw the farmer ploughing less than a month ago. It has been down, grown, and looks about ready to cut dry.and bale. Already some fields have got Bales of hay just waiting to be picked up by the farmer and stored in the barns ready for winter.

20180625_103721.jpg
20180625_102122.jpg
20180625_103701.jpg

Top Bottom