Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
[QUOTE 5290986, member: 9609"]a rather bizarre encounter with some wildlife resulted in a call to international rescue for a lift home, the bruises and grazes will soon disappear (I still bounce well) but the bike :sad:
I don't have a spare bike or spare wheel and these are old fashioned wheels, so can't just buy one off the shelf - and I still need a 120 mile in by saturday night

View attachment 416419 [/QUOTE]
A like for the report not the accident.
You might be able to salvage that wheel. Try some standing on it in the correct places to correct it. Nothing to loose:okay:. There's a video on t'interwebs somewhere where the guy bashes the wheel on the floor and it all springs back into shape. Best of luck.

[QUOTE 5291054, member: 9609"]a pheasant, it must have been OK as I couldn't find it, I would have enjoyed the stupid bugger for dinner, can they not watch where they are going.

sort of hit me in the shoulder, I wobbled a bit, then a bit more, then just as I thought I had regained Control I ended up on the ground, complete mystery why the back wheel buckled[/QUOTE]

Drat...

Shame you couldn't get your revenge by stuffing it in the crock pot.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Great ride home in the early hours this morning. 18 degrees, little wind, wonderful. Far too hot today, so only a 3 mile utility ride. The CX and the Van Nic have been given once overs. The Van Nic is going for it's first Audax tomorrow, the London Sightseer and I think it will be warm:sun::sun:
Plans are afoot for a Sunday ride to Brighton via the Downs Link with an early start to avoid the heat.

Elysian_Roads

[QUOTE 5290986, member: 9609"]a rather bizarre encounter with some wildlife resulted in a call to international rescue for a lift home, the bruises and grazes will soon disappear (I still bounce well) but the bike :sad:
I don't have a spare bike or spare wheel and these are old fashioned wheels, so can't just buy one off the shelf - and I still need a 120 mile in by saturday night

View attachment 416419 [/QUOTE]
Glad you came out of that relatively okay. Hopefully you can sort the bike out quickly.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
88C15BEF-B75B-44FC-A061-5745F82CE937.jpeg
4374D661-A633-4D7C-8D61-0EAC73C56C3C.jpeg
2C9BC896-F74F-425F-8519-829EE4EED9C9.jpeg

Another extended home commute via Askham Bryan & Naburn. So hot again (not complaining!).
26.8 miles with an average of 17.1 mph.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Still hot here so I waited till it began to cool off for this one. I fancied the ride over to Trumpet so took the Leigh Brook for Longley Green and on for Cradley. I then looped to Coddington and Peg's Farm before reaching Trumpet. Rather than take the usual route along the flanks of the Marcles I climbed to Woolhope Cockshoot where the views to the Malverns and the Cotswolds revealed how small things were under an enormous blue sky. I dropped to Woolhope before taking the lovely lane for Sollers Hope but turned before that village to climb onto the ridge. Again the Malverns looked small. It's an easy drop off after the transmitter mast for Much Marcle where I took the standard run back by Brooms Green. At Rye X a policeman refused to let me through saying the road was closed. He wasn't very forthcoming so I headed around by Birt's St to Rye St where again a lady PCSO said "road closed". She did say there had been a nasty accident. Sounded like it was probably horrid so I wished all well and retraced to the Farmer's Arms where beer temptation was resisted. All that was left to do was take the Castlemorton lanes and the Hanley Swan run home. Lovely early evening ride. 58 smiles

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Out on my mountain bike this evening. I'm on the mend and the bike has had a bit of a rebuild and service.
Before I got off road I had a phone call from a very prominent establishment whom I'd applied for a job, but then told them I wasn't interested as they were a bit more than ropey in several areas. The HR manager was very apologetic. We've left it on cordial terms.
Off road, bone hard across the fields. Along the woods, St Johns wort flowering.
Up the Wimpole Way, slowing for a horse and pleasant rider.
In Wimpole wood I found the only massive muddy puddle in Cambridgeshire. I couldn't avoid it without jamming the brakes on and going over the bars.

In through the park, the cattle hidden in the long grass. They broke cover
IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

I was naughty next by riding to the lake and going up to the folly
IMG_0167.JPG

They need a goose cull
IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

Naughty again, using a footpath through the woods and then a scream down to the Eversdens.
From Caldecote I came back over the fields, then I stopped at the Blue Lion for a pint. My son and his girlfriend were in there, but I didn't play gooseberry
IMG_0174.JPG

Back up the road and home, 20 miles. Wonderful!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1664114705

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My ride today, posted today!
Four of us set out on the hottest day of the year for a 100 mile ride to Rutland Water and Lounds Abbey.
I didn’t have the route, and the chap who did had a Garmin problem. It turns out that, once we’d wasted ages trying to find the correct roads, we thought it more sensible to make our own route up.

3869EEA2-0DC9-4808-AC11-A1EBF46D3097.jpeg

Fotheringhay is particularly pleasant though
Anyway, our original plan was thwarted by a lack of sensible roads to ride, so we winged it and, with a change of reservoir, we headed for Grafham Water instead!
All we had to do was find a route that crossed the A1 and the A14 near Brampton. For those not local, this is the crossing of two major roads that are being upgraded.

98FD4E46-5904-4862-8D89-5B95D5FF9BC6.jpeg

Well, there used to be a road there! Garmin certainly thought so anyway :laugh:

Eventually, to avoid too much backtracking, we had to use Sustrans 12 to rediscover tarmac.

6DC4C116-5B43-4960-9900-BBFC79AEF4CA.jpeg

Not exactly Road bike territory, but it was only about a mile.

D4DDA966-5BF3-46B1-A0A8-135A202AE2C0.jpeg

At the end of said tarmac the road had a signpost, and, we 'found' Grafham Water.
With the peace being shattered by the local hole drilling team, we had our pies and pasties, coffee and chocolate, near the water. Nice chat with the workers though!

At this point, we were on about 60 miles, with 40 left for our Century. And it's only 30 and a bit home, so we had to add a few wiggles to make up the mileage.

Grafham Ton.png

Riding through the villages home, was quite hard work, mainly because of the heat, but we'd kept hydrated all the way round.
I did find the small area on my left knee that didn't have quite enough sun block, but, apart from that, I'm impressed with my P20 purchase.

One chap had to zoom off ahead as he had to pick his car up from the garage before it closed, but us three rode as far as Brackmills before splitting up for our respective homes

101 miles, just under 16mph with 3,300+ feet of Up. Temperature well into the 80's, wall to wall sunshine.. :sun:

Back in for a cool shower and a cold beer.:cheers:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1663734552

:smile:

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Last day off work for a while so I stuck the Cube into the car and headed out to Rutland Water for the 3rd time this year. Just the usual double loop - clockwise then anti-clockwise - for a total of 44 miles & 2000ft of upwards stuff. Wasn't sure how I'd get on after yesterday's 70 miles, but it didn't feel as warm as I'd feared thanks to a cooling breeze over the reservoir, but a 750ml bottle of squash was drained on each loop.

At the dam end there was a large bird of prey circling aroud at a low level (probably a Kite of some sort as it had a forked tail) so I stopped to get the camera out and was immediately covered in a swarm of pollen beetles so gave up on the idea.

It does seem like someone is as fed up of the various signs in the woods as I am though.
Rebelllion.JPG

The stats...
Screenshot-2018-6-26 Garmin Connect.png

xzenonuk

Veteran
took the mtb out earlier and went through dalmeny estate again but i took a different path which i think the road bikes do, i thought yay ill bypass that massive hill, only to encounter a much bigger one lol

i remembered as soon as i seen it why i don't go that way unless im going the opposite direction, i emerged at the little house onto the road next to the end of the jewel carriage way, then i jumped on the road and went all the way into princess street.

after a little rest there i went along my corstorphine route, then i had a genius idea of making my fork a little softer so i stopped and let some air out of it, then i let a little more air out of it and arrrrgghhh too much, so had to cycle the rest of the way home with a gimped fork because my fork pump is in the house lol

apart from my little self inflicted screw up with my forks air it was a good ride apart from a few very close passes on the main road into edinburgh city centre.

done 22.2 miles and took the btwin shock pump out it's packaging when i got back and got my fork pumped back after a few teething problems with the pump :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A sleepless night meant I didnt have the get-up-and-go for too long a ride this morning so I took the knockabout bike for something shorter and hillier while the morning was still cool: over the top of Lyth Hill, Plealey, Oaks, the back road to Pulverbatch, Wilderley, Smethcott, Leebotwood, Longnor, Ryton, Condover and home via Lyth Hill again.

Traffic is the main thing to report this time round as there was lots of it down the lanes. I had to pull in to allow vehicles past numerous times on the way to Pulverbatch, then got stuck behind a tractor and trailer for a good couple of miles through Wilderley. A milk tanker overtook me while I paused for a drink on the way to Smethcott, then shortly after I found it reversing towards me at speed having met a tractor & baler which it couldn't pass. It was alright for me I could simply duck into a gateway.^_^

I found another lorry backing up the road to find a passing place just before Leebotwood then in the village itself the traffic on the A49 was stationary due to temporary traffic lights so I did a bit of filtering up to my next turning where I got quarter of a mile before finding another blockage due to vehicles not being able to pass each other.

The old roman road is usually pretty quiet but today there were lots of people using it as a rat run to avoid the queue on the main road. I knew however that they'd be catching up with another tractor so it probably wouldn't save them time.

Not quite the ride I'd had in mind but a pleasant pootle in the sunshine anyway.

25.5 miles at 12.1 mph moving average, which is actually quite good for me on this hilly route.

DSC0006631.jpg

Taking the track over Lyth Hill. It never looks as rough in photos as it really is.

DSC0006634.jpg

View from the top of Lyth Hill.

DSC0006641.jpg

Climbing Broom Hill on the way to Pulverbatch and looking back where I've come from.

DSC0006643.jpg

My view for a couple of miles around Wilderley. The trailer is a bit of a tight fit in these lanes as you see and it wasn't even particularly big.

DSC0006644.jpg

On my way down to Leebotwood

DSC0006647.jpg

At Hunger Hill and about to climb up to Lyth Hill for the second time.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Pete M and Jules H were waiting as I rolled up to the meet in Upton. The forecast was for another hot, sunny day. The call was Broadway so we decided to take the southern run on the way out. Queenhill lined us up for Tewkesbury and from there we took the dodge by Kinsham and the lovely cottages in Kemerton. Always worth a ride past these when out this way. We took the standard run up to Conderton to turn at Beckford and again before Ashton. We were chatting about the Red Kite sightings we've had here when what should show up but a Red Kite. And a Buzzard too. Dumbleton and Wormington allowed us to take the lesser used lane to Aston Somerville and on to Broadway. All good in the cafe and as Pete was settling in for a long one we had to remind him of a deadline Jules had.

Levering Pete back onto the bike we headed for the northern run around Bredon Hill by Hinton Cross. The wind should be helping and maybe it was but not noticeably. We took our usual route for Eckington Bridge and soon after Jules headed for Dunstall to chop some miles off on his homeward run to meet his deadline. Pete and I took the usual Strensham run back to Upton where we parted, me heading back on my usual route to clock up another super ride in summer weather. 65 smiles

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A tandem ride for us tonight. Down to Toft and Kingston, then upand down the hills to Eversden, enjoying the breeze.

In Harlton we stopped at the Hare and Hounds for a beer and some chips
IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

Very nice too!

Home via Haslingfield, Barton and Comberton.
That north wind can bugger right off. I don't mind it cooling me, but not impeding me!

16 miles.

https://www.strava.com/dashboard/new/web

Top Bottom