Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Much too hot to go out earlier, but really felt the need for a ride.

So as soon as the football finished, I got myself kitted up and took me and my bike out of the door for a quick fizz to Littleport and back. Quickly regretted not grabbing a lightweight jacket, as that northerly breeze was distinctly chilly. (Wasn't as blustery as it was earlier though) Took a couple of miles before I was warm enough to feel comfortable.

Nice ride though, 8 brisk miles. Saw a lovely sunset, came back with a full moon high in the sky and a tailwind to speed me on my way home.

pjd57

Veteran
IMG_20180627_122016.jpg
Three different runs today.
Morning run across the city to Hillington.
Then an enjoyable run with Free Wheel North along the canal , into the city centre then over the M8 and into the Glasgow Necropolis.

This evening another trip across the city to Thornliebank.

Just over 50 miles in total

IMG_20180627_122331.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Today’s ride, yet again, posted today.
My task, should I accept it, was to drop my granddaughter at a Guides ‘sitting round a campfire cooking sausages’ evening.
I accepted it, but decided that taking my bike was a good plan.. :okay:

They were there for three hours, and it wasn’t worth me driving 12 miles there and back.. twice..
With this in mind, I planned a 30 mile loop.
Nothing major, just roads mainly ridden before, but infinitely better than doing nothing for three hours! :blink:

DF7A6BBE-6CCA-4486-B39F-F6B45715CCCD.jpeg

The memorial near Grafton Underwood for 384th Group USAF.
My return route gave me the chance to grab a pic of the church that ex Communards Richard Coles is the vicar of..

092B94F5-B443-455C-8A22-153C7C3C6C4D.jpeg

I’d have done a few more miles, but didn’t want to cut it too close for grandchild collection!!

28 miles, at a fairly leisurely pace, through local villages.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1666331138

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Have become quite fond of bridleways in recent years, but there's a few locally I've been ignoring.
Decided to remedy that yesterday.

Not a long ride, no grand destination, no photos, pubs nor pints. Just a brief 8 mile explore before work, and before the heat became oppressive.
But you know what? An absolutely perfect start to the day . Even thinking about it now, I'm on top of the world! :sun:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well todays ride was a mere 4.5 miles to the shops, but yesterdays ride, that was something special:smile: Despite living within 10 miles or so of it, I don't 'do' London. In an attempt to remedy this, and do my first Audax, I entered the London Sightseer. With a planned 105km taking in lots of the big sights it seemed a good way to 'do' London. My boss joined me so I had good company for the ride, though based on how friendly everyone was I suspect I could have tagged onto another group with no issues.
Since the start was only 12 miles away, we opted to ride from mine to Hampton Hill where we collected our Brevet Cards and headed off towards Twickenham. At this point I had no idea where I was, so the combination of local knowledge from Peter (my boss), the Garmin and route sheet became my guides for the day. Much of the route was riverside, and it started quite early on
27 June 2018 Thames View.jpg

We followed the river for a bit, edging away at Syon Park before re-joining at Kew Bridge along Strand on the Green. Still a bit of a group of us, including a couple on Bromptons with American flags on the back. Leaving the river again to go through Chiswick, then back on it again to the first information control until we crossed the A4 at Hammersmith. Heading North we went through Kensington and into Notting Hill for the 2nd info control, then West through Bayswater into Kensington Gardens. Onwards to Hyde Park, then through Wellington Arch
27 June 2018 Wellington Arch & Peter.jpg

Constitution Hill, Buckingham Palace and the Mall followed. Loads of people on the Mall, and we'd just missed a carriage of some description, but caught the guards going back
27 June 2018 Mall Parade.jpg

Through Trafalgar Square and along the Strand the roads were very very busy which made for slow progress, and it was hot hot hot by now. St Pauls, the Royal Courts of Justice and onwards to Bank taking in the Lloyds building, the 'walkie talkie' and Gherkin. Got a bit off course here, Garmin through a hissy fit and locked up, but Bills route sheet saw us out to the Tower Of London
27 June 2018 Tower Of London.jpg

From here it was follow the canals through Wapping and Limehouse, which led us nicely to the Olympic Park. Much bigger than I thought, and the Velodrome provided us with a brief breather and our manned control. We arrived with 17 minutes to spare....
27 June 2018 Velodrome.jpg

Back South through West Ham and Canning Town where we met with one of the other groups, arriving on mass at the Emirate Airline cable car. Decent service here, contactless meant it was on £3.50, the they folded seats to allow 3 bikes in a pod.
27 June 2018 Emirates 3.jpg

We 'landed' on the Greenwich Penninsula, looked at the dome, and followed the river, including a hefty diversion which the Garmin didn't like, but the route sheet guided us once more. Following the river more or less saw us cross Lambeth bridge, then round Westminster for the Houses Of Parliament and Big Ben. Battersea Park for a cake stop (Peter knew a good cake shop on Tooley Street, and the cake was good, and much needed).
Back on the homeward leg through Putney and into Richmond Park (hurray, I know where I am now..) where we picked up the pace as we were tight for time. Only a few miles to go as we headed along Barge Walk where there are some nasty speed bumps, though thoughtfully they have left a gap at the left for us cyclists. Great, but one said gap had a big pothole, spotted too late by Peter and bang when his rear tyre. 2 tubes later and we were off again, and back to the start.
A very welcome cold lemon squash and chat with Bill. Brevet Cards completed it was back on the bikes for home. Arrived with 147.8 km (92 miles) done, and 5 minutes short of 12 hours for the round trip, with 8hrs 40 minutes in the saddle.
A fantastic day out, and I'd recommend the London Sightseer to anyone.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@cosmicbike looks good. Makes me want to go on the velodrome again....

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out on the Galaxy for something a little longer again this morning doing a shortened version of the reverse of my ride from Monday: Condover, Atcham (and through Attingham Park), Upton Magna, Astley, Hadnall, Merrington, Grafton, Little Ness, Melverley, Prince's Oak, Westbury, Stoney Stretton, Lea Cross, Exfords Green, Condover again and home.

Things went pretty well but I think the wind direction didn't really suit doing the ride this way round. The weather started off cloudy and slightly cooler than the last few mornings but that cloud burned off very quickly so that by the time I'd done 10 miles it was back to clear blue sky and warmth again.

Traffic was light and there were a few other cyclists about - mostly women today I noticed, same as on Monday which was something I forgot to mention at the time.

50.9 miles at 15 mph average.

I wasn't really thinking much about photos today so the pics are a bit random:
DSC0006649.jpg

Taken at a drink stop overlooking Bomere Heath.

DSC0006652.jpg

At Great Ness. The road shows signs of the tar having melted and come up to the surface. On the plus side, it's smoother now than it was a few days ago.;)

DSC0006653.jpg

A view to the Breidden you've seen before but it looks nice on a day like this.

DSC0006655.jpg

The Royal Hill.

graham56

Guru
4DB24816-39AD-4A17-9E72-B383DF3657F7.jpeg
Rode out to Kirkley Hall at Ponteland to see some of the TT that is taking place today.
Stayed for a hour then headed of to Belsay, Stamfordham, Matfen and down to Corbridge before heading back home.
Roads really bad to ride, my tyres were sticking to the road surface at times.
Pleased to get home, showered and now having a beer.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A Fitting Farewell:
Not the way I would have hoped to bring up my 1,500 miles for the year, as today's ride was to the crematorium and back. But what a farewell for a fellow clubmate. Some riders were following the cortege all the way from Stroud to Gloucester. We rode out to Coney Hill via Brookthorpe and Matson, hoping to stay just ahead of the cars until we approached the crematorium, so that we didn't hold everyone up. Five minutes after we got there, the cortege turned up and we all slotted in behind it. Brought a lump to my throat and made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. What a fantastic sight, 26 cyclists following the hearse, 12 of them in Kingsway CC club colours ... and so many other friends waiting there. A lovely down-to-earth service and a really nice heartfelt speech from @gordyfinbar . Great to see @Dark46, pretty much the whole club and so many familiar faces who used to ride with us. Really glad we did that as a club. A fitting send-off for one of our own. Rode back the same way we came, making it 19.4 very pensive miles.
Donger.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
8CDC3034-4214-4978-A66A-1C2DFD66E8B7.jpeg
93115B8C-0893-4562-8942-085871019C36.jpeg
8566B562-FD37-4C28-9362-194582A15565.jpeg

A beautiful day in North Yorkshire, with the footie on there was just enough time for an extended home commute. 28 miles with an average of 16.3 mph and Home 10 minutes before kick off, enough time to make a tuna salad and pour a large glass of chilled white Zinfandel ...Come on England!!.

Last edited:

xzenonuk

Veteran
got a 19.9 miler in earlier and it was far to hot, took the cycle track to newbridge and then went up to broxburn and kept going untill just before dechmont, then i decided it was too hot so headed back to broxburn and jumped on the canal tow path and came out in winchburgh then cut through kirkliston.

think it's a rest day tomorrow as the legs are feeling it and it is beer time :smile:

Top Bottom