Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A slightly longer ride this morning, aiming to be back before it got too warm. I took the Galaxy this time and headed out initially on a version of my clockwise Melverley route but then extended it by heading round Shrewsbury to the north and the east.

I was setting out when the kids are on their way to school so it was relativey busy on the roads. I jumped the queue waiting to get onto the A49 by hopping off the bike and walking past to cross the road. Probably annoyed a few people stuck in their hot cars.:blush:

After passing through Condover then having to wait for a lorry at Exfords Green, things settled down to a mostly uneventful ride. I took a different way through town at Pontesbury and almost changed my mind about where I was headed at Minsterley (will save that for another ride).

One close pass from a lorry (a 7.5 tonner, which tend to have a bad rep anyway) at Coedway which was quite unnecessary as the road was clear, then a good run through Melverley, Pentre, over the hill to Great Ness and onto a new-to-me road from Grafton to Fitz where I nearly missed my junction due to not recognising it coming from this direction.

I'd forgotten quite how steeply undulating the Fitz to Leaton Heath road is. This and it being a notorious local rat run are why I don't usually ride this way but I felt like a change and it wasn't too bad this time. I'd come this way because I wanted to vary my route to go through Bomere Heath. It didn't really add much interest so I'll probably stick to the way I'm used to.

The approach to Hadnall is on nicely resurfaced lanes which is good. I caught and overtook a group of cyclists before the village, with friendly greetings.

Having passed through Astley the road gently climbs for a good couple of miles so it's hard to carry much speed. The road surface is quite rough too which doesn't help. The descent into Upton Magna was fun though - my only complaint being that it doesn't last long enough.

I got some good speed up on the way out of Upton Magna only to have to come to a stop for traffic coming the other way. Pah! There wasn't much of a wind today but it was behind me at this point which helped make up for it as I made the most of all the favourable bits on the way back to Condover.

Slightly over 53 miles for the trip at 15.1 mph average.

DSC0006619.jpg

At Pontesbury. A bit early for the pub.

DSC0006621.jpg

The relatively new cycle path to Minsterley. Could possibly do with a bit of mowing.

DSC0006622.jpg

View up the valley towards the Stiperstones from Minsterley. I got quite tempted to change my plan and head for the hills instead.

DSC0006623.jpg

Crossing the Severn on the way to Melverley.

DSC0006624.jpg

Much later in the ride. Catching up with some other riders on the way to Hadnall.

DSC0006626.jpg

The view to the Wrekin as I ride round the edge of Haughmond Hill.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
9185A4C1-4861-4D02-BA64-E5EB0988D235.jpeg
DFC28299-A822-4ECF-BE7E-63AB14DB31EF.jpeg
F2C33AC3-D872-4F01-B852-263445F6AC2C.jpeg
0F7B3303-6CAB-4C1B-A206-EEADC71EEFA1.jpeg

A beautiful day in North Yorkshire so an extended commute home with a back pack, how hot!!
Stopped to see my 3 favourite Shetland Ponies

34.9 miles with an average of 15.9 mph.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It was somewhat warm out there today - already into the 20°C+ area by the time I finally left home at 11ish. The only plan was to head for Maningtree and then the Dedham Vale area with the route made up on the go and expecting to do around 50 - 60 miles.

In the end I took the usual route into Ipswich and then out to Wherstead and under the Orwell Bridge to Holbrook via Freston
Orwell Bridge.jpg
From there it was into Brantham and a quick detour to the outskirts of East Bergholt before dropping down into Manningtree and out to Langham and then up to Hadleigh via Stratford St. Mary, Higham and another diversion at Shelly to avoid being stuck behind a road sweeper preparing the road for being "surface dressed".

Having done a U turn part way along the high street as I realised that I didn't normally pass The Pedal House on my way out of town, I headed back towards Ipswich on the back road to Hintlesham, and did the usual Sproughton, Westerfield, Bucklesham route home.

70 miles in the countryside with no problems, but it was within 1/3 of a mile of home that I was nearly taken out by an elderly driver pulling straight of of the T junction I was indicating to turn into - checking only to her right, not the left I was coming from!

Also, as I was putting the bike away I noticed a slit in the sidewall and a chunk of rubber missing from the centtre of the tread (down to the carcase) so that tyre needs to be replaced after 'only' 3500 miles or so with plenty of tread left despite other nicks & cuts
New tyre required.jpg
Screenshot-2018-6-25 Garmin Connect.png

Again, another lovely summer's evening cried out for a ride, so had a quick fizz to Littleport and back after the football - 8 miles via Downham Common and Black Bank, and then looping around Parson's Lane and coming back the way I came.

Was surprisingly cool given how hot it had been earlier, but the air smelled of cut hay, almost heady, like wine, and the sky was just the most amazing palette of pinks and blues as sunset faded towards dusk. Most people were indoors and I had the road to myself.

It's at times like these that I just realise how much I love cycling and being out on my bike.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Yesterday was the first run for my long-awaited switch from 48-38-28 to 42-32-22 rings. It would be hard to imagine a more perfect day.

A clockwise loop into Herefordshire, in the shape of a crouching cat. Well, I thought so:

18June25m.JPG

18June25e.JPG

After a rountine run out through Newent and Ross, and some dreadful close passes from articulated lorries on the A49, I stopped for water at Locks garage, where the B4348 Golden Valley road crosses the A465. On this occasion I didn't take the Golden Valley, instead crossing to the equally delightful B4352 which also heads to Hay, but closer to the river Wye. There was a closure on this stretch, no inconvenience to me, but it meant the road was totally deserted.

I left the B-road at Moccas Park, heading back towards Hereford on the minor roads south of the river which I'd never explored before. Again, blissfully quiet, though views of the river proved elusive. I stopped for an early lunch at Ruckhall, with the Black Mountains in the distance:

P1000257a.JPG

Approaching Hereford on the A465, I left the main road at the Tesco roundabout and used the path alongside the river, a good choice as it leads very conveniently to the old town bridge and avoids a big roundabout festooned with traffic lights:

P1000260a.JPG

A few weeks ago I passed a very striking church at Bosbury, in tjhe foothills of the Malverns. It has a massive detached bell-tower, which somewhat dwarfs the church itself. It looks most unusual, but I discover that its one of seven such arrangements in - Herefordshire!

P1000261a.JPG

I had no wish to scale the heights of the Malverns this time, so I skirted round via Eastnor and Bromsberrow, then through Castlemorton to Upton upon Severn. The wonderfully rural lands around Castlemorton, strewn with ramshackle farms, has the feeling of a land time has forgotten.

After Upton I took the well-worn route over the Avon at Eckington, completing the cat's ear on the map above, and then back to Gloucester in the full heat of the afternoon. A final feeding stop by Oxenton Hill, a Cotswold outlier, and a last look at that sky:

P1000265a.JPG

The heat was never oppressive and even in the afternoon it felt remarkably fresh. A combination I'd like to bottle.

Final distance 121.25 miles. With half an hour I was sound asleep in an armchair, so I'm told. :smile:

Attachments

• P1000259a.JPG
    P1000259a.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 29

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another early ride to make the most of it before the day warms up too much, using a variation of my regular; Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cressage, Walcot, Upton Magna route.

I used the Galaxy again and was out slightly earlier today so avoided all the school run traffic. It was fabulous being down quiet roads and lanes in this weather. There has been a lot of hay cutting going on so the air smells lovely as has been mentioned by others. There were a good number of other cyclists out today and who can blame them wanting to be out in this.

Traffic was mixed today. At Cressage I had to wait for streams of vehicles to pass before I could cross the main road but then later on there was hardly anyone on roads that are usually fairly busy.

After Eaton Constantine there was a stretch of road where the tar had clearly melted yesterday and little blobs of it were already starting to well up again. It's likely to be hotter this afternoon so that's going to be a sticky mess.

I varied the route after Walcot to ride a lane I haven't been down for ages but found the start of it a lot rougher than I remember with the core of the road starting to show through the surface. A little overdue for resurfacing I think.

The rest of the journey was taken at a nice touring pace and was very pleasant, provided that I ignore the lorry that overtook and started pulling back in before he was past me at Cross Houses.:dry:

A lap of the village at the end just rounded up the mileage nicely. There are groups of students wandering round the place with maps - some sort of geography exercise?

Just over 35 miles at 15.3 mph average. Enjoyed that.^_^

DSC0006627.jpg

Some nice blooms at Eaton Constantine. The ones on the right must have a really long flowering season as they were still going well into the autumn last year.

DSC0006629.jpg

Looking towards Haughmond Hill which I rode across the edge of yesterday.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
[QUOTE 5290986, member: 9609"]a rather bizarre encounter with some wildlife resulted in a call to international rescue for a lift home, the bruises and grazes will soon disappear (I still bounce well) but the bike :sad:
I don't have a spare bike or spare wheel and these are old fashioned wheels, so can't just buy one off the shelf - and I still need a 120 mile in by saturday night

View attachment 416419 [/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear about your off. And your poor bike of course. :hugs:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
[QUOTE 5290986, member: 9609"]a rather bizarre encounter with some wildlife resulted in a call to international rescue for a lift home, the bruises and grazes will soon disappear (I still bounce well) but the bike :sad:
I don't have a spare bike or spare wheel and these are old fashioned wheels, so can't just buy one off the shelf - and I still need a 120 mile in by saturday night

Ouch, what did you hit?

Old jon

Guru

Commiserations @User9609 , Hope you and the bike recover soon.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

Oh, that's a pain. I'm glad it wasn't worse than grazes and bruises for you. That wheel though looks like it's knackered.:sad:

Owwwww, that's not good. Hope you and the bike mend soon xxx

Top Bottom