Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Today was the day for the Leicestershire posse to go back to Nice Pie.

@13 rider had plotted a route circa 67 miles from Market Bosworth and back. As well as the usual reprobates, @Lilliburlero @Chris Doyle @tallliman @13 rider and myself we were to be joined by @PeteXXX @Serge and a mate of chris doyle (Martin)

Meeting time was 8:45 so wanting to get some miles in before the ride to make it an 100 miler I set off at around 6:20 with the plan to do a steady pootle and do 32 miles to the meet up.

That went well, I totally ignored the route I had plotted and ended up doing 35 miles and getting their about 8:30 13 Rider and Petexxx were already there, so I shouted to them I would be five minutes and did a loop around Market Bosworth to round the miles to 36.

Eventually everyone rolls in with the exception of tallliman who we were meeting on route and Serge who we found out had had a mechanical and turned back home. A few of the riders were flashing around their British Cycling phone case that they got for finishing a Strava challenge, I said I'd got a letter from them and thought it was spam and didn't know what I'd done with it.

Long story short, the weather was brilliant, we did some climbing, the company was brilliant, Nice Pie was brilliant.

By the time we got back to Market Bosworth @Lilliburlero had just enough miles home to hit his 21st Century of the year :notworthy:

I was 10 miles short of doing a double metric and to be honest I wasn't going to do them........ however............

13 rider had miscalculated and was going to be 10 miles short of an imperial century so he had to find the miles. Now when we do a Market Bosworth ride, the two of us at the end ride to either Ratby or Kirby Muxloe before parting ways. Today we got to Kirby Muxloe and 13 rider wisely suggested we stop at the shops for more fluid. He goes in the shop first and I watch the bikes and also phone number one son. His mam had gone to pick him up from uni today and they were still there so I had time to kill.

Just about to set off from the shops and 13 rider has a flat, so the ten minutes it took to change (might have been quicker) I recovered a bit and decided to do the double metric.

Ending up parting ways with 13 rider at Thurcaston and I rode home finishing on 126.95 miles - didn't go back out to round it up :laugh: but did find the letter from BC with the phone case in it :okay:

As usual a great ride in great company, I'm still yet to meet someone on a CC forum ride that I've thought was a nobber, well with the exception of..........

https://www.strava.com/activities/1659478287[/USER]

As usual a great ride in great company, I'm still yet to meet someone on a CC forum ride that I've thought was a nobber, well with the exception of..........

Oh, the suspense is killing me! :wacko:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yet another lovely summer's day. Time for some hills. So off to climb the Suckley Hills from Mousehole Bridge. Then up some more to Linley Green admiring the skew bridge on the way. The brickwork is amazing. A bit of descent took me to Whitbourne and more climbing, the steepest part being just out of the village. At Clifton-on-Teme it's a roller coaster of up and down to Kyre where the long and fairly steep climb takes me up to Hampton Charles. It then drops mostly (some testers go up tho') through Thornbury for Bromyard. Then the roller coaster lane along the Frome Valley before the climb by Acton Beauchamp to Acton Green. Just the lumpy bits along the Leigh Brook to cope with now before heading back for home. Quite a testing one today with just over 4000 feet climbed but worth it all as that is a super part of the countryside. 53 smiles

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Oh, the suspense is killing me!

Thinking about it, I went out with them once!!

Out today to avoid all things football. I listened to the Austrailia innings and then set off with England already two down. I am off on holiday on Tuesday, (not a big fan of holidays if I'm honest) and I have to pack tomorrow so today was the last opportunity for a ride. I haven't been out for a week or two thanks to not being up for it and work commitments.

It was very hot! Staffordshire and the odd corner of Shropshire looked very fine under clear blue skies and a powerful sun. Factor 30 on my head was OK for the first half of the ride but the bandana had to take over for the last part.

Some fool has decided that surface dressing patches are going to save a few Shekels over road repairs that don't leave odd patches of loose chippings on random pieces of road. Often these are on corners so you only know they're there when you're already on them!

Still, 25 miles only 0.3mph slower than the last time I went out and I've been able to practise opposite lock on a road bike!

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
By the time we got back to Market Bosworth @Lilliburlero had just enough miles home to hit his 21st Century of the year :notworthy:

Praise from Caesar :blush:

I`v had a great weekend on the bike. I followed up yesterdays Skeggy 104 miles at 19.3 mph :ohmy:, which is by far the easiest and fastest ton i`v ever done, with another quality CC ride to bag my first back to back imperials :dance:. I know I was a bit quiet today, but that was down to doing something that i`d not done before and for me it was a step into the unknown :smile:

Massive thanks to @Supersuperleeds , @13 rider , @Chris Doyle , @PeteXXX , @tallliman , and Martin for dragging me round and looking after me today :cheers:

Elysian_Roads

Today's ride was definitely a ride of two halves. A long held ambition is to ride to the coast, which would be around 120 miles there and back.

Thought I would start the process by exploring the first part of the potential route, combining it with this month's metric century challenge. Like @shirokazan, the route was a bit improvised.

First 30 miles went relatively well, the odd route deviation but nothing that couldn't be recovered. Even stopped to help a fellow cyclist whose chain had come off.

Through Farnham, intending to do a few more miles but ended up getting caught in a stretch of road resurfacing with loose stone chippings. At that point, decided I had done enough to bag the challenge distance so turned for home via Aldershot and Farnborough, using Google Maps cycle option. However with no handlebar mount or ear phones, it was a case of stopping to check the phone at regular intervals.

The Blackwater cycle path ,and later Kings Ride near Bagshot, are definitely not non gravel bike friendly, and the roads on the return route tended to be fast A road, so not my favourite habitat.

Anyway a nice day for a ride, and an outdoor lunch in Farnham was accompanied by a fly past by a Lancaster.

Happy riding.

I’ll start today’s report with a couple of special mentions....

Firstly, well done to @Supersuperleeds on his double metric, by hook or by crook it was a tremendous effort in this heat. Thank goodness that @13 rider had his flat eh? Otherwise it may not have been!

On the subject of tremendous efforts, the big plaudits go to @Lilliburlero who, after today’s ride, made it back to back tons after completing a monumentally fast OCC club ride to none other than Skeg Vegas yesterday.

So today I was also part of the CC “Leicestershire Posse” and “reprobates” (as supersuperleeds puts it) that embarked on the trip up to the Nice Pie Cafe in rural Leicestershire.

This place has been promoted so much by 13 rider, supersuperleeds and @tallliman and today was the day to see whether it lived up to their top billing, but I’ll get onto that in a bit!

So Market Bosworth was the meeting point and on arrival around 0830 found that 13 rider, supersuperleeds and @PeteXXX were already there. Lilliburlero and my self proclaimed Saga CC riding buddy Martin joined us a few minutes later. @Serge was due to join us as well but information got to us that he’d had a mechanical en route and subsequently turned back (Although I think the pressure of having to spend his emergency fiver got too much!). Around 9am after a few introductions we set off into the sun, taking in the quiet lanes nearby, moving around in the group and having a natter as is always the case. It wasn’t until we hit Thornton reservoir that we hit the first real climb. This is what I call a “don’t look all that but it just drags on a bit too long and I hate it” sort of climb, but eventually we all got up there and it was then through Markfield, over the A50 and into the Charnwood Hills, starting with Sharply Hill at Newtown Linford. This is a punchy little number and at this stage 13 rider, supersuperleeds and Martin opened up on it, as I suspected they would, leaving me and Pete XXX to steadily spin up it. Lilliburlero was somewhere in between. Once we got through this piece of cycling paradise, it was on to Quorn to meet up with tallliman. Some lovely new rolling roads (for me anyway) were explored and after a little more nattering/thrashing it/recovering we eventually descended upon Nice Pie.

First impression? They didn’t tell me the driveway was the equivalent to the Alpe d’Huez and very gravelly! And so I unclipped and gently descended this mini mountain!!

I’d always had the intention of having one of these award winning pies but I just needed something a little less stodgy and so a bacon butty for me it was. And a coke and a latte! I couldn’t help but notice that such was talllimans regularity to this gaff he indulged in what I referred to as “contactless ordering” where he just looked at the bloke behind the counter, said absolutely nothing to him and the bloke then said something along the lines of “Tuna it is”....mind blown!:wacko:
But the food was amazing and the pies and cakes looked to die for, it’s just a shame I couldn’t manage it this time...... so you know what this means???????

After our refuel, it was time to head back towards Bosworth, although talliman peeled off quite early on as he wasn’t looking for the big miles. And it was more of the same really- nattering, thrashing it, recovering through more new (to me) roads and back to Bosworth where we all went our separate ways home.

The majority of the lads managed to ton up on the rides but mine was cut a little short as I had to get back to tend to the dog because my doggy sitter (the neighbour) had to dash off somewhere.

So it was 85 big ones, 4 litres of fluid and a hint of sunburn for me today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1659349106

219BF90F-473C-4BBC-AB66-4C03400B709F.png

https://www.relive.cc/view/1659349106

Last edited:

theloafer

Legendary Member
just a little trip to keep karons legs from stiffing up.. :laugh: though first thing she was a tad grouchy, poss still a little stiff from yesterday`s ride:whistle: but she soon got into the sprit once we got the climb onto the tops and got her feed and watered at the lion inn at Blaky ridge :cheers:. back via Westerdale /kildale/gr Ayton for ice cream :okay:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1659829894

WP_20180624_006.jpg

WP_20180624_002.jpg

WP_20180624_004.jpg

WP_20180624_009.jpg

WP_20180624_012.jpg

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
After a pleasant BBQ with friends who were camping at Aust last weekend, I persuaded my wife & daughter of the joys of crossing the Severn Bridge by bicycle.

There were some complaints about the gradient. I was accountable for the unpleasant descent (part walked) into Chepstow but we all enjoyed lunch by the old bridge. Out on the north side, and back on the south. We parked up in Aust. 10 miles done, a nice family day out.
36063577_10217050633958461_9092848500420378624_n.jpg
36063710_10217050628758331_6713396640880787456_n.jpg
36063766_10217050630358371_2570566711526817792_n.jpg
36088173_10217050637278544_4887271572773011456_n.jpg
36176962_10217050627678304_3247877784181145600_n.jpg

Decided to consolidate my climbing work on the IOW with a hilly ride

The 4 hill were Green Dene and Holmbury St Mary going south, and Leith Hill and White Doen heading back north.

Leith is the biggest, though White Down is the steepest at 18%

54.59 miles @ 15.2 mph

2789 feet climbed

Edit add Strava link
https://www.strava.com/activities/1659036616
Also did PB’s on Leith Hill and White Down
Leith 11 min 12 secs
White Down 9 min 38 secs
Both over 30 secs faster, and wasn’t trying too hard, though White Down is always a bit of a b*gger

Top Bottom