Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
ACBA5F13-F90B-4022-93FA-5BEB59699242.jpeg
DE764123-D791-40DE-BC3B-DB7655D033F1.jpeg
8F332C04-BDA9-4A68-AC46-F02DEF012F54.jpeg

Another red hot ride on my Tricross. From home to Cawood and Selby then back. First time wearing my new (got them 2 years ago!) Chapeau bib shorts which feel and fit great, excellent quality too.
30 miles with an average of 16.4 mph.
Lovely spin out.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
216D39CB-8511-4A69-915C-418D94B4E0D0.jpeg
A4794DE0-53E1-45DD-968E-4ECBE3B98ED3.jpeg
087E7B4F-76A2-4A26-AD28-89CDC58CD4CA.jpeg
9B12B349-A1F2-4C7E-818D-4D3236D875B8.jpeg
We’ve driven north a bit up the river Rhône to a place called Proulieu in the Ain department.
I just had a brief leg loosen to a village called St Vulbas.
I saw a hare, 3 black kites and a big swirly river

https://www.strava.com/activities/1686657269

bruce1530

Guru
Something a bit different today.

Started off fairly normal - along the coast to Largs, then onto the Brisbane Glen road.

Up the hill towards the moor and Loch Thom. The climb felt quite “long” and heavy - maybe the engine aint working properly!

It’s a climb of about 300m over 9km.

IMG_2774.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

Over the top, down to the next junction and turned left at the loch. After a couple of miles, I arrived at the Cornalees (Greenock Cut) visitor centre. About 50 yards past the visitor centre, you come to the Ardgowan fishery.

The cafe at the fishery is pretty good, nice coffee and very low prices. Also seems to be open 24x7 at this time of year! Coffee and a bacon roll set me up for the next leg of the journey.

IMG_2777.jpg

I had several sensible choices and one daft one.

The sensible option would have been to go back the way I came to Largs - a great descent after that slog up the hill - or to go on to Greenock and then follow the cycle path to Paisley and maybe get the train home. Or follow the road down to Inverkip and then back along the coast.

A braver option would have been to take the path - more of a “land rover route” - alongside the reservoir towards Kilmacolm.

The daft option would be to take the direct path down the “Kelly Cut” to Wemyss Bay. The signs say it’s passable on a bike, but they’re talking about a mountain bike. But it’s been dry for 4 weeks.....

I’m on a GT Grade. They describe it as an “adventure road bike”. Let’s try an adventure. Although doing it on 28mm Gatorskins isn’t ideal...

It’s a 6 mile trip alongside the “Kelly Cut”. The guide books call it a “man-made waterway”. In practice, it’s a big ditch, which allowed water to be re-routed to the dam above Wemyss Bay, to serve some long-gone industry.

IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg

The first 4 miles or so are pretty flat. Track is very rough, but passable. Only had to get off the bike a few times, where small streams cross the path.

You then reach a small reservoir

IMG_2782.jpg

After that, it’s a rough gravel/rocky road, much steeper, down to the coast, eventually ending up in a caravan site above Wemyss Bay.

IMG_2783.jpg
IMG_2784.jpg

One minor mishap on the gravelly bit at the bottom, where the bike and I decided to go indifferent directions. Toppled onto the grass, no harm done.

And then back along the coast to Saltcoats. 77km, 48 miles.

Would I do it again - maybe, but not on those tyres.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Sara P, Mrs 26 and me in the Green with Jules H, John G and Margaret PR at Upton. The gang discussed where and eventually settled on the tea rooms at Craycombe Farm. So with the chat flowing we took to Strensham and Defford to cross the Avon at Eckington. Mrs 26 decided to head back before the Combertons. We soon rode through Cropthorne to arrive at the Fladbury cafe.

Chats continued over tea, coffee and comestibles of variety. John headed back up the main road while we took to the lanesy run over the old airfield to take us to the ford at Pinvin. A pause here showed how low the brook had got during this current hot and dry spell. Sara took the main road homeward from Drakes Broughton while the remaining 3 took to the Stonehall Common dodge before Jules headed for Worcester. Margaret and I rode steadily for Upton where she headed home while I took the standard run back to complete a pleasant social ride out. 56 smiles in yet more glorious weather.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'd intended to get out early to beat the heat, but after a poor nights sleep it was gone 7:30am when I finally set off on the Pro Carbon.
I'd got all day, if I wanted it, so I'd selected an old roughly circular 101km route on the Garmin which had a couple of 'get outs' if it got too much.

Already warm, but also oddly breezy which felt right in my face riding up Coal Road. Which was as far as the routing on the Garmin got, declaring I'd reached the end of the route with just over a mile showing...:wacko:
Hey ho, I'd got a rough idea where I was heading so I just kept calm and carried on.
Red Hall Lane, the A58 and Whin Moor Lane brought me to sunny Shadwell, then the steady climb up to Slaid Hill lights which were on green (this is very unusual!), so through and onto Wike Ridge Lane for the short blast through the dip and up onto Tarn Lane for the run to the top side of Scarcroft, with the warm breeze still in my face despite several changes of direction - clearly today was going to be one of those days!
Down Ling Lane and back onto the A58 for the long downhill run to Bardsey, through the lights and on to Collingham, where a wiggle on the A659 took me to the bridge to Linton and the up and downery that follows all the way to Wetherby.
Tight left at the roundabout and up the hill, climbing back out of town, before the descent to Stockeld Park and the down and up to Spofforth.
No stopping at the castle today, right at the roundabout and along the causeway to Ribston Road, which climbs away from the junction and then undulates nicely through the rolling countryside all the way to Little Ribston.
Past the gates to Ribston Hall where a guy on a tourer was stopped for his breakfast, and on south now to the turning onto Ox Close Lane and more gloriously countryside 9if you ignore the bridges over the A168 and A1(M) all the way to Cowthorpe.
That sharp little climb out of the village then more of the country lane out to Cattal crossroads, where instead of turning right down Rudgate I carried on into Tockwith for a change. Left at the Boot and Shoe and onto Kirk Lane and then onto South Field Lane round the former airfield perimeter.
I'd spotted this single track road on the map and thought it would be a easy way to add a extra mile or two onto a familiar route but it's in a shocking condition - parts of it are 40% pothole and 40% uneven patch repair, so it made for slow going on the road bike picking my way through it. A shame as it's a nice enough route apart from the shoddy surface.
Back out onto Rudgate and the run down to the crossroads, where after a brief pause for a gap in traffic it was straight across and more gentle downhill between the fields all the way to the Walton turning and onto the quiet lane towards the village.
Along the main street and out onto Wetherby Road for a hundred yards to the turning for Thorp Arch.
Through the village and down onto the bridge, where today I decided to stop for a break and a couple of pics:
IMG_20180707_094014301_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180707_094049572_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180707_094556067_HDR-EFFECTS.jpg

Back in the saddle and the climb up into Boston Spa, then down Main Street for the long way round to Clifford via Barr Lane.
Through the village and then the descent down into Bramham, where for a bit of fun I decided to tackle the segment up Town Hill :heat:
At the end I looped back round onto Aberford Road and headed south towards Bramham crossroads then the long generally downhill run into Aberford.
At this point I was really starting to feel the heat and was getting low on water - and Aberford doesn't appear to have a shop...:ohmy:
My initial plan had been to loop out to Lotherton Gates then the long way round to Garforth to add a few more miles on, but instead I took the right onto Cattle Lane for the ups and downs to Barwick, passing a big group ride of Seacroft Wheelers heading out.
Stopped in Barwick to release a fly that had somehow got between the lens and insert in my sunnies, then the steady climb up to Scholes, before dropping down Leeds Road and over Cock Beck, before turning onto local roads towards home and right into a surprisingly stiff headwind that had me dropping down into the small ring at the front and made the last mile quite a bit harder than I'd expected. :sweat:

42.25 miles (67.99 km) in 2h 56m at an average of 14.4mph with 2,001ft climbed and an average temperature of 20.9°C

Not the ride I'd planned but I enjoyed that, and I made the right decision to cut things short as I was absolutely on my chinstrap when I got in. That warm but stiff breeze combined with temperatures that hit 30°C several times made me work for it today.
That said, a bit to drink and something to eat and everything is good in the world again, it's another point for the Half Century Challenge and I even set a PB...
Loads of cyclists out today, from club runs to family rides to solo cyclists and who can blame them?

And to end, the map - and I can only assume someone at Garmin has a sense of humour with the temperature and weather symbol in the corner :laugh:
070718.JPG

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Something a bit different today.

Started off fairly normal - along the coast to Largs, then onto the Brisbane Glen road.

Up the hill towards the moor and Loch Thom. The climb felt quite “long” and heavy - maybe the engine aint working properly!

It’s a climb of about 300m over 9km.

View attachment 418162

View attachment 418163

Over the top, down to the next junction and turned left at the loch. After a couple of miles, I arrived at the Cornalees (Greenock Cut) visitor centre. About 50 yards past the visitor centre, you come to the Ardgowan fishery.

The cafe at the fishery is pretty good, nice coffee and very low prices. Also seems to be open 24x7 at this time of year! Coffee and a bacon roll set me up for the next leg of the journey.

View attachment 418165

I had several sensible choices and one daft one.

The sensible option would have been to go back the way I came to Largs - a great descent after that slog up the hill - or to go on to Greenock and then follow the cycle path to Paisley and maybe get the train home. Or follow the road down to Inverkip and then back along the coast.

A braver option would have been to take the path - more of a “land rover route” - alongside the reservoir towards Kilmacolm.

The daft option would be to take the direct path down the “Kelly Cut” to Wemyss Bay. The signs say it’s passable on a bike, but they’re talking about a mountain bike. But it’s been dry for 4 weeks.....

I’m on a GT Grade. They describe it as an “adventure road bike”. Let’s try an adventure. Although doing it on 28mm Gatorskins isn’t ideal...

It’s a 6 mile trip alongside the “Kelly Cut”. The guide books call it a “man-made waterway”. In practice, it’s a big ditch, which allowed water to be re-routed to the dam above Wemyss Bay, to serve some long-gone industry.

View attachment 418166
View attachment 418167

View attachment 418168

The first 4 miles or so are pretty flat. Track is very rough, but passable. Only had to get off the bike a few times, where small streams cross the path.

You then reach a small reservoir

View attachment 418169

After that, it’s a rough gravel/rocky road, much steeper, down to the coast, eventually ending up in a caravan site above Wemyss Bay.

View attachment 418170 View attachment 418171

One minor mishap on the gravelly bit at the bottom, where the bike and I decided to go indifferent directions. Toppled onto the grass, no harm done.

And then back along the coast to Saltcoats. 77km, 48 miles.

Would I do it again - maybe, but not on those tyres.
I didn't know there was a cycle path from Paisley to Greenock, I really need to get out more. Looks like a nice ride.:thumbsup:

Went out for a quick spin in the interval between the day's two footy matches; the 8 mile run out to Littleport and back. No stopping at the Co-op today though :laugh:

An irritating little breeze meant that I had a headwind for most of the ride - though it did rather nicely for cooling purposes given it was pretty warm out there. No other cyclists to be seen, not many motorists either for that matter. But the aroma of barbecuing burgers hung in the air, and there were plenty of young lads kicking footballs around.

Pulled over to adjust the saddle height and check out a hedgerow walnut crop I've got my eye on at the same time. :laugh:

Always good to spend time on the bike.

bruce1530

Guru
I didn't know there was a cycle path from Paisley to Greenock, I really need to get out more. Looks like a nice ride.:thumbsup:

National Cycle route 75 goes that way - from Paisley follow route 7 towards Ayrshire, and then near Elderslie/Johnstone you branch onto route 75.
It follows the old railway line through Bridge of Weir and Kilmacolm, then down to Port Glasgow, Greenock and Gourock.

After that, it crosses the Clyde to Dunoon and continues to Portavadie.

Slick

Guru
National Cycle route 75 goes that way - from Paisley follow route 7 towards Ayrshire, and then near Elderslie/Johnstone you branch onto route 75.
It follows the old railway line through Bridge of Weir and Kilmacolm, then down to Port Glasgow, Greenock and Gourock.

After that, it crosses the Clyde to Dunoon and continues to Portavadie.
I'm going to try that one. I have seen bits of it but it looked like one of those that would stop very abruptly.

C R

Guru
Sara P, Mrs 26 and me in the Green with Jules H, John G and Margaret PR at Upton. The gang discussed where and eventually settled on the tea rooms at Craycombe Farm. So with the chat flowing we took to Strensham and Defford to cross the Avon at Eckington. Mrs 26 decided to head back before the Combertons. We soon rode through Cropthorne to arrive at the Fladbury cafe.

Chats continued over tea, coffee and comestibles of variety. John headed back up the main road while we took to the lanesy run over the old airfield to take us to the ford at Pinvin. A pause here showed how low the brook had got during this current hot and dry spell. Sara took the main road homeward from Drakes Broughton while the remaining 3 took to the Stonehall Common dodge before Jules headed for Worcester. Margaret and I rode steadily for Upton where she headed home while I took the standard run back to complete a pleasant social ride out. 56 smiles in yet more glorious weather.
It is nice to ride that way, though I find the right turn towards Eckington Bridge at Defford quite stressful. How do you handle it? I slow down quite a lot up the ramp, and I am always wary of someone coming up too fast behind me as I am moving to the middle to turn, and the road is too narrow to wait in the left anyway.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It is nice to ride that way, though I find the right turn towards Eckington Bridge at Defford quite stressful. How do you handle it? I slow down quite a lot up the ramp, and I am always wary of someone coming up too fast behind me as I am moving to the middle to turn, and the road is too narrow to wait in the left anyway.
Yes it is a tricky one. I tend to move over towards the middle but never leave enough space for a numptie to go through on my left. It's defensive riding techniques. Usually I don't need to stop for oncoming. It'd be worse if I did.

Top Bottom