Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's some fast folk out there tonight :whistle:
26 miles at 15.7 average for me...not too shabby for me, round local village roads.
Passed by 6 guys cruising at around 20mph I'd say. Then passed by 2 fellas doing the same, then passed by a male and female rider, both doing around 20 mph I'd guess.
I did set out for an easy one, 27 degrees...but I'm terrible for forgetting then trying to keep up with faster people :tongue:...trying :laugh:

Well, I typically roll at 10 mph. Everyone passes me. :laugh:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5302975, member: 9609"]I have never seem a bee eater - lucky you

I always thought those tall spindly fir trees just grew tall and thin, didn't realise they were trimmed.

and thats a great picture of the snails - it must have been a tasty plant[/QUOTE]

I think they generally do grow straight and tight, but when you have money...

Levo-Lon

Guru
For any of you real ale lovers the Ploughman in Werrington Peterborough is running it's yearly beer festival week.
Live music 50 ales and stunning weather.
Well worth a visit if your local ish.

Saturday will be very busy with the football and a few top local bands.

graham56

Guru
A nice early start into Cumbria today before the heat really sets in.
Set off from Gilsland and headed up to Bewcastle Church which has the remains of an Anglo Saxon cross.
Then back via Kirkcambeck, (nowt to see there) Banks and Birdoswald.
712A5D7C-0FE1-4B4F-8CCE-37CAEA60A731.jpeg
B8F41665-6E7A-44FC-830F-A76977009D66.jpeg
A4593611-7841-42EF-BF50-F9C53A5114B4.jpeg
1FB28004-1BE8-472F-B63B-921BD7F685EC.jpeg

I think i should of turned right not left.
C0F52370-07CD-4942-8C3F-E0FF78F5B322.jpeg

I unclipped a couple of times while i was out so on return new cleats fitted.
AEA5F421-38F0-4C72-A1BE-4A914A584AFE.jpeg

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Still hot so I left it till the cool down started. Off out around the Trumpet loop was the plan. So a standard run to Longley Green heading for Cradley and Coddington Cross. The ups were going OK so I wondered about some climbs in the Marcles. I'll decide at Trumpet I thought so took the Munsley lump to arrive at the decision point. It was a goer so I climbed steeply at times to Woolhope Cockshoot before dropping to Woolhope and taking the tiny lane for another climb up onto the ridge. From here the views back towards Worcestershire and Gloucestershire we super. I dropped off for Much Marcle and took the usual route by Tillers Green and Bromsberrow for the Castlemorton lanes route back. Nice speedy one at times given the climbing I'd done. 55 smiles

Ooops - meant to say a very sleek fox ran out across in front of me as I was coming off the Munsley lump. He/She just hopped into the hedge without really missing a beat.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Four more rides in the Dordogne to report. All pre-breakfast, in glorious Spring-like weather before the scorching heat took over. Missed one day due to a combination of thundery weather and a nasty bit of sunburn on my shoulders. The next day I rode in my only pair of non-bib shorts, and by the day after that I was back in the saddle in my usual kit.
Very poor internet connections meant I couldn't download anything for days. Suffice to say the cycling around here is superb. Very scenic, with quiet roads and some lovely little villages to discover and rivers to follow. I did a total of 120 miles in 5 rides, taking in a mixture of short sharp hills and long uphill drags, with some great sweeping descents and the occasional bit of level road. Really got to know the area around the gite. Got chased by the hound of the Baskervilles .... I could see him in my mirrors snarling at me, and hear his paws on the tarmac just behind me. Fortunately, after grinding my gears a bit I found a turn of speed just before he caught me, and was lucky enough to be just coming up to the top of a very steep downslope. In other news, I now have a new PB of 38.1mph.:whistle:
A selection of photos from the last four rides that I have finally been able to download:
182 Chateau de Salignac.JPG
188 Up in the hills.JPG
194.JPG
196 Montignac.JPG
197 Road sign for troglodite city.JPG
200.JPG
201.JPG
203 Montignac.JPG

Enjoy your rides everyone.
Cheers, Donger.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Four more rides in the Dordogne to report. All pre-breakfast, in glorious Spring-like weather before the scorching heat took over. Missed one day due to a combination of thundery weather and a nasty bit of sunburn on my shoulders. The next day I rode in my only pair of non-bib shorts, and by the day after that I was back in the saddle in my usual kit.
Very poor internet connections meant I couldn't download anything for days. Suffice to say the cycling around here is superb. Very scenic, with quiet roads and some lovely little villages to discover and rivers to follow. I did a total of 120 miles in 5 rides, taking in a mixture of short sharp hills and long uphill drags, with some great sweeping descents and the occasional bit of level road. Really got to know the area around the gite. Got chased by the hound of the Baskervilles .... I could see him in my mirrors snarling at me, and hear his paws on the tarmac just behind me. Fortunately, after grinding my gears a bit I found a turn of speed just before he caught me, and was lucky enough to be just coming up to the top of a very steep downslope. In other news, I now have a new PB of 38.1mph.:whistle:
A selection of photos from the last four rides that I have finally been able to download:
View attachment 418048 View attachment 418049 View attachment 418050 View attachment 418051 View attachment 418052 View attachment 418053 View attachment 418054 View attachment 418055
Enjoy your rides everyone.
Cheers, Donger.
That looks familiar, sure I did some of those roads last year. Currently sitting here planning my ride out of St Leon for this year..

delb0y

Legendary Member
Feels like I haven't been able to get any consistency going this year. Every time I get a few rides on the trot and the tiniest bit of fitness something, or several things, conspire to keep me off the bike for a week or two. Heat being one of them. So this morning I got up at 5:30 and was out by 6:00 and home by 10:00 to avoid the worst of the sun. Did a lovely 45 mile ride around the local corner of the Cotswolds. I went up to Painswick by way of Upton Hill. The descent into Painswick on beautiful tarmac with no cars at that time of morning was sublime. Dropped down into Stroud and then up Selsley Hill, past the glider club, and the ancient Long Barrow, and enjoyed another superb car-less descent into Uley down Crawley Hill. I've been up that one plenty of times but never down it. Was lovely and thrilling and I even lit up the "Slow Down 30" sign. From there I headed to Dursley and then Purton and cycled back along the flat lanes by the canal.

Loved it :-)

Alas, didn't take a camera - how i wished I had. The light at this time of the morning is perfect for photography. I shall have to do it again :-)

Did grab a couple on the mobile phone though:

The Bike.jpg
Cotswolds 6-00 AM.jpg
Almost Home.jpg

Cheers
Derek

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's going to be another warm one today so I got out this morning for a bit of a leg stretch. Nothing too far this time as I'm off on a sportive tomorrow: http://velosalopia.com/ (Doing the 49 mile route with @gavgav).

I used the knockabout bike and went on a familiar local loop to Longnor and Acton Burnell then Harnage, Cound, Eaton Mascott, Berrington and varied things a bit by carrying on to Weeping Cross and Meole Brace.

Traffic was a bit busy until after my short main road section and there was some impatience on display, but on the quieter roads there were more cyclists than cars today which was nice. I got overtaken by a chap on a nice Mercian approaching Frodesley but was able to keep him in sight on the downhill stretch into Acton Burnell where we went different ways.

Evasive action was taken at Concord College when a small lorry started pulling out into my path as the drivers view of me was blocked by the A-pillar and his mirrors.

After Berrington I came out onto the road to Weeping Cross behind another cyclist and with this bit being slightly downhill was keeping pace fairly well. His face was a picture when he looked back and spotted me. The friends he was looking back for overtook me with a friendly greeting and the group started to pull away but not that quickly. I passed them again at the next junction as they were regrouping with the rest of the club (Paramount).

Towards the end of the ride I took to the cyclepaths and got a little frustrated at the one crossing where the lights refused to change in my favour despite several button presses. I had to find my own gap in the traffic.

23 miles at 14.1 mph average.

DSC0006691.jpg

Longnor

DSC0006692.jpg

View through a gateway at Harnage.

DSC0006693.jpg

On the way to Eaton Mascott I seem to have stumbled into the setting of a wartime patriotic song.:whistle:

DSC0006694.jpg

Eaton Mascott.

Top Bottom