Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
4B966F28-3854-4784-89A3-C14D60481020.jpeg
FAEED6BE-08DB-4914-867A-66A70B1C3588.jpeg
1EE53D0B-BD5B-4035-A9CD-3F7357489A40.jpeg
4BE04B49-018A-47E8-8733-B1874C137514.jpeg
4D49C8F0-8D96-4BE0-913D-D7AB036A880B.jpeg
Another ride out in my trusty fixed along the Leeds-Liverpool canal before it becomes the Bridgewater canal at Worsley. The sky was amazing and provided a perfect backdrop to Astley Mining Museum ( used in the tv series Peaky Blinders)

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Up and out early with my brother Pete from his house in Neston.
Through Raby there was a great view of Liverpool Anglican cathedral. Through Ledsham and Capenhurst followed by a quick foray into Wales before coming across Burton marsh, up Denhall Lane and back to Pete’s house.

A nice sunny 20 miles before breakfast

https://www.strava.com/activities/1763890748

51060775-4113-4EF1-B69E-34146CE09449.jpeg
5366CD0C-B662-4061-A82A-FFA664A83F30.jpeg
1B1B9CF8-939C-4CBB-AD1C-D4393148950F.jpeg

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
It's been some time since I've posted on this thread, but I thought today's ride might be of some interest.

I have only belatedly realised that it is legal to ride along bridleways (I know :whistle:), and so when I recently had some spare cash, I upgraded Patsy #2 The CX into the proper spec bike she should have always been and have just taken her out for a pootle along tracks near Kirton and Falkenham.

Now, I have always considered CX riders slightly mad (and the sand, mud, nettles I encountered seemed to back this opinion up), but I could easily become addicted to this type of riding - best fun I've had on a bike in ages!

This on some isolated track near Kirton. (With my pal Jay.)

11.8.18 Kirton.JPG

Last edited:
Shorter RIDE today but hit more hills than I normally would so swings and roundabouts and all that :okay:

Also, (prepares own trumpet), I've over hauled my diet completely and I've now lost 2st 11lbs since the middle of May :dance:

20180811_105145.jpg 20180811_105213.jpg 20180811_111203.jpg 20180811_111849.jpg 20180811_112056_resized.jpg 20180811_112506_resized.jpg 20180811_112633.jpg 20180811_112805.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Going up to Oaks , Pulverbatch and Wilderley is one of my regular routes, quite often on windy days when the slog against the wind to Oaks is more than made up for by having long stretches with the wind and the gradient helping. Something I've never done though is to ride it in the opposite direction which was what I had planned for Wednesday before I got the call that meant I was needed elsewhere. Today I decided to finally get that ride in.

The knockabout bike was dragged out as I intended to do a bit of bridleway riding towards the end and I set off south through Condover, Ryton, Longnor and Hollyhurst. I'd originally planned to go through Leebotwood but after browsing the map decided to carry on a little further south, cross the A49 as though heading to All Stretton then turn back northwards along the lanes passing Dudgeley Farm and Lower Wood which is some quite pretty riding.

On the last couple of rides using this bike I've been getting some knee pain which started again in the first few miles of this ride. I'd stopped and tried a couple of tweaks of the saddle which felt odd but more comfortable and they seem to have sorted the knee problem and made the climbs easier, which was just as well as there was a lot of climbing to come.

It's a long drag up to Walkmills and Smethcott but rewarded by a view over the Shropshire countryside at the top. I'd have taken a photo but there was a dungheap in the middle of shot.:laugh:

To Wilderley next and the route becomes more undulating with short, sharp descents and long draggy climbs. The route certainly has a different character riding it in this direction. More undulation follows on the way to Pulverbatch and I considered changing the route here, knowing that I could have a long fast descent to Longden Common but I thought that I'd regret not completing the planned route if I did that so carried on over the three climbs to Oaks.

The long, fast descent from Oaks to Lower Common was very enjoyable. I could have continued on tarmac but decided to go for a couple of bridleway sections, firstly to Exford's Green, then past The Yews and up the steep climb onto Lyth Hill. I've got the gears to easily manage this climb but the combination of the surface and touring tyres pumped up hard for road use didn't offer enough grip so I didn't manage to ride it all. At one point I lost traction while trying to cross an outcrop of rock, the bike slipped backwards and I now have a selection of grazes on my right leg from the pedal and the chainring.

The views from the top of Lyth Hill were as good as ever before I carried on rattling across the hill on the rough track. Rejoing the tarmac again there was a sight I haven't seen for a while: a flood across the road due to the rain yesterday. I think the Parish council could do with getting someone to recut the drainage channels.

25.8 miles at 12.5 mph average (surprisingly quick I thought, given the amount of climbing) and with a 31.6 mph top speed. Quite fun.^_^

DSC0006882.jpg

Near to Leebotwood with Caer Caradoc in the background.

DSC0006885.jpg

DSC0006886.jpg

A couple of shots at Oaks.

DSC0006888.jpg

At the start of the steep bit of bridleway.

DSC0006889.jpg

Crossing the top of Lyth Hill.

DSC0006893.jpg

A bit of a flood. Haven't seen one of those for a while.

pawl

Legendary Member
Shorter RIDE today but hit more hills than I normally would so swings and roundabouts and all that :okay:

Also, (prepares own trumpet), I've over hauled my diet completely and I've now lost 2st 11lbs since the middle of May :dance:

View attachment 423884 View attachment 423885 View attachment 423886 View attachment 423887 View attachment 423888 View attachment 423889 View attachment 423890 View attachment 423891

Well done.The cycling along with the diet has really worked.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The weather today has been glorious - sunny, blue skies, light breeze and not as hot as recently.
And the second Saturday in June is traditionally the Wiggle Yorkshire Tour Sportive from Thirsk...except this year they've moved it to Sunday and the forecast for tomorrow is horrendous...:sad::rain:

Anyway, with an 81-mile ride in wall to wall rain tomorrow, today was just a leg loosener after a week stuck behind a desk.
So Coal Road and Red Hall Lane took me to Wetherby Road and I went for the direct route through Scarcroft and Bardsey to Collingham, mainly downhill and all good fun.
Decision time - I didn't want to go too far as I need to save my legs and creaky knees for tomorrow, so in a fit of optimism I decided to climb out of Collingham up the Cote de Jewitt Lane on the basis that it is a steep hill, but it gets nearly all the climbing over in one sharp shock.
Anyhow, the first ramp had me out of the saddle huffing and puffing, before the brief respite of the slight drop and all too short almost flat before the hill kicks in again. Eventually round the corner and right onto Compton Lane where after a hundred yards or so I stopped to pop my lungs back in.:heat:

Quite pleased on getting home and uploading the ride that I've set a new PB up there, taking nearly 15 seconds off my previous best. So much for taking it easy today...^_^

Anyhow, enough silliness, and along the gentle rise of Compton Lane before dropping down towards Rigton Green and taking the tight turn onto Bramham Lane between the hedges for a lovely isolated run all the way back to Home Farm Lane and along to Milner Lane where it was along the ridge before the plunge down into Thorner.
Into the village and back out again on Carr Lane to the A58, then up Coal Road, across the roundabout, past the 'Your Speed Is..." sign :whistle: and onto local roads to home.

17.1 miles (27.5km) in 1h 15m at an average of 13.6mph with 925ft climbed

Just a cheeky metric quarter today then, with the big ride of the weekend tomorrow. All good fun, even the decision to climb Jewitt Lane and quite a few cyclists out and about making the most of the weather.

I've just been sorting my kit out for tomorrow and have dug out my lightweight jacket (optimistic) and my shoe covers (realistic).
Come what may, I've paid for it, so I'll be riding it. On the best bike too so I hope it doesn't melt...;)

And to end, the map and a photo I took after the ride when walking the dog (I forgot to take any during the ride):
11082018.JPG

IMG_20180811_120456835.jpg

13 rider

Guru
The weather today has been glorious - sunny, blue skies, light breeze and not as hot as recently.
And the second Saturday in June is traditionally the Wiggle Yorkshire Tour Sportive from Thirsk...except this year they've moved it to Sunday and the forecast for tomorrow is horrendous...:sad::rain:

Anyway, with an 81-mile ride in wall to wall rain tomorrow, today was just a leg loosener after a week stuck behind a desk.
So Coal Road and Red Hall Lane took me to Wetherby Road and I went for the direct route through Scarcroft and Bardsey to Collingham, mainly downhill and all good fun.
Decision time - I didn't want to go too far as I need to save my legs and creaky knees for tomorrow, so in a fit of optimism I decided to climb out of Collingham up the Cote de Jewitt Lane on the basis that it is a steep hill, but it gets nearly all the climbing over in one sharp shock.
Anyhow, the first ramp had me out of the saddle huffing and puffing, before the brief respite of the slight drop and all too short almost flat before the hill kicks in again. Eventually round the corner and right onto Compton Lane where after a hundred yards or so I stopped to pop my lungs back in.:heat:

Quite pleased on getting home and uploading the ride that I've set a new PB up there, taking nearly 15 seconds off my previous best. So much for taking it easy today...^_^

Anyhow, enough silliness, and along the gentle rise of Compton Lane before dropping down towards Rigton Green and taking the tight turn onto Bramham Lane between the hedges for a lovely isolated run all the way back to Home Farm Lane and along to Milner Lane where it was along the ridge before the plunge down into Thorner.
Into the village and back out again on Carr Lane to the A58, then up Coal Road, across the roundabout, past the 'Your Speed Is..." sign :whistle: and onto local roads to home.

17.1 miles (27.5km) in 1h 15m at an average of 13.6mph with 925ft climbed

Just a cheeky metric quarter today then, with the big ride of the weekend tomorrow. All good fun, even the decision to climb Jewitt Lane and quite a few cyclists out and about making the most of the weather.

I've just been sorting my kit out for tomorrow and have dug out my lightweight jacket (optimistic) and my shoe covers (realistic).
Come what may, I've paid for it, so I'll be riding it. On the best bike too so I hope it doesn't melt...;)

And to end, the map and a photo I took after the ride when walking the dog (I forgot to take any during the ride):
View attachment 423932
View attachment 423934
Have a good day tomorrow hope the weather guessers are wrong and you only get wet for 70 miles :rain::okay:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Great photos! I've never been to Cornwall, it's always struck me as a bit too far and possibly crowded, but it looks like I'm missing out.
Coast to Coast the Cornish way!
A 43 mile loop around the far south west.

Going out through Newlyn.

View attachment 423654
Newlyn harbour
View attachment 423655
Cornish countryside, on the way to St Buryan
View attachment 423656
Wonderful spicy avocado cake at the Apple Tree cafe near Sennen
View attachment 423657
First view (today) of the sea on the North Coast
View attachment 423658
I stopped to fill up my empty water bottle with blackberries.
View attachment 423659
It was so lovely to ride up and down this coastal road. I think the view must be unbeatable. 18 miles of it in wonderful sunshine though quite windy.
View attachment 423660
The thought of this 'ice cream in a field' kept me going up some of the really steep bits. Worth it. (lemon curd flavour - wow)
View attachment 423661
You think that the worst of the hills are over when you see this. A wonderful descent to enjoy.
View attachment 423662
Ancient standing stones on the road back from the north coast near St Ives back to the south coast near Penzance.
View attachment 423663

To be continued ...

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Had our last day on holiday yesterday and we decided to explore what was marked up as a black expert MTB trail alongside the Arguenon river north of Jugon Les Lacs in Brittany.
IMG_20180810_121051786_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20180810_123013291.jpg
IMG_20180810_113725986_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20180810_113652219_HDR.jpg

We got partway along before locking our bikes to a tree and continuing on foot. It was very enjoyable and beautiful scenery reminding us of the Wye valley with it's climbs and twists.

A tough seven miles overall. Back home now after two very enjoyable weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_20180810_113801115_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20180810_113801115_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Top Bottom