Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
The steep learning curve with my off-roading on the revamped Patsy #2 The CX continues. I rode out to Sutton Heath this morning (East of Woodbridge) and tackled a few bridleways and some By-roads. One of those By-roads was a track consisting of deep sand - a fact I discovered by naively trying to cycle over it. My 35mm Schwalbes just couldn't cope and I went over the bars. Twice. The second time I actually heard my self exclaim "Ah! Here we go again!". No apparent damage done to either me or the bike. (Only a slight wrist ache that disappeared after ten minutes.)
The two lessons I picked from this are:
a) continue building more experience and
b) consider gaining this with another rider alongside to help in case the offs are serious.

Anyway, still enjoying the off-roading and here is a pic of the track heading up to the disused Woodbridge Airfield. (An uncle was forced to do an emergency landing here in his Stirling during the war. )

View attachment 427057
More importantly how the bike and hope Jay wasn't harmed In anyway
Seriously glad your ok

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Had to nip into Durham to see if I could find a new cable for the Garmin so made it into a bit of a trip. Up through Lumley, down over Cocken Bridge and into Framwellgate Moor to the ebike shop. It was shut. I'd forgotten it's a bank holiday - never mind. Mrs. jg is retiring in February and one of her leisure activities is going to be cycling with me so we're starting to look around for a bike but there's no rush.

Passed County Hall and then dodged around the back of the station and onto the north bound platform to visit the Waiting Room.

View from the Waiting Room
20180827_113922[1].jpg

A right tasty pint of Durham Brewery Elderflower Pale Ale. Was a bit dubious, expecting it to be insipid, but the barman talked me into it and he wasn't wrong - it's delicious.

Down into the city and up into the market place where I had to get off and walk through the crowds to the outdoor shop. They didn't have the cable I needed so went down to the river and over the pedestrian bridge onto Frankland Lane. This becomes a brdleway after a short distance and it took me along the river to Frankland Prison where I turned right along the dead end to Finchale Priory.

It was teeming like an ants nest with Bank Holiday visitors. I can usually ride the paths around here but not today so pushed the bike upriver until the crowds thinned and I could start the climb up to Cocken Lodge. From there it's about a mile to the Three Horse Shoes at Leamside where I stopped for another pint.

Pint at the Three Horse Shoes
20180827_124152[1].jpg

This one was a bit bland. In fact it made so little impression that I've forgotten what it's called but it quenched my thirst. Four miles back through Lumley and I was home having done 21 leisurely miles.

Ebike shop shut, failed to buy Garmin cable - could be classed as a wasted trip but I right enjoyed missen.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
After bailing on yesterday's club ride because of the rain, I owed myself a decent ride this morning. I'll soon be off col bagging in the Vosges, so I thought I'd better put in a bit of belated hill climbing practice. First up Frocester Hill:
228 Frocester Hill.JPG

More than a mile of 9-10% makes this one of the toughest climbs around here, but it is one of my favourites because of the views you get as you climb up towards Coaley Peak. The legs held up OK, but I was glad to get to the top in one go, and I made a point of smoothly accelerating away without stopping at the top. Next came a glorious descent (marked as 12%) down Crawley Hill and through the woods to the village of Uley. There I stopped for a glug of my energy drink, which I was going to need.
229 Uley.JPG

I turned my bike around and slogged my way a mile or so back up Crawley Hill as far as Coaley Peak, where I rested for a moment and took a couple of pictures of the view of the Severn Vale.
230 Coaley Peak.JPG

You get a great view of the big bend in the Severn where it winds between Arlingham and Newnham on Severn, with the hills of the Forest of Dean in the background.
231.JPG

After that, I headed back along the ridge past Selsley Common, where I did a quick up-and-over to come back in the opposite direction through Middleyard, where I took a picture of another of my favourite views.
232 From Middleyard.JPG

After that I headed back for Frampton and sauntered back along the lanes. 34.7 miles in all, with probably a total of about 2.5 miles of 9-12% climbing. That will have to do for preparation .... though my next climb is going to be about the same gradient but about 5 miles long! If you like reading about suffering, stay tuned!
Bye for now, Donger.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Had to nip into Durham to see if I could find a new cable for the Garmin so made it into a bit of a trip. Up through Lumley, down over Cocken Bridge and into Framwellgate Moor to the ebike shop. It was shut. I'd forgotten it's a bank holiday - never mind. Mrs. jg is retiring in February and one of her leisure activities is going to be cycling with me so we're starting to look around for a bike but there's no rush.

Passed County Hall and then dodged around the back of the station and onto the north bound platform to visit the Waiting Room.

View from the Waiting Room
View attachment 427064

A right tasty pint of Durham Brewery Elderflower Pale Ale. Was a bit dubious, expecting it to be insipid, but the barman talked me into it and he wasn't wrong - it's delicious.

Down into the city and up into the market place where I had to get off and walk through the crowds to the outdoor shop. They didn't have the cable I needed so went down to the river and over the pedestrian bridge onto Frankland Lane. This becomes a brdleway after a short distance and it took me along the river to Frankland Prison where I turned right along the dead end to Finchale Priory.

It was teeming like an ants nest with Bank Holiday visitors. I can usually ride the paths around here but not today so pushed the bike upriver until the crowds thinned and I could start the climb up to Cocken Lodge. From there it's about a mile to the Three Horse Shoes at Leamside where I stopped for another pint.

Pint at the Three Horse Shoes
View attachment 427070

This one was a bit bland. In fact it made so little impression that I've forgotten what it's called but it quenched my thirst. Four miles back through Lumley and I was home having done 21 leisurely miles.

Ebike shop shut, failed to buy Garmin cable - could be classed as a wasted trip but I right enjoyed missen.

I think the ebike shop is closed on Sundays and only opens until about midday on Saturdays.

He's got a good selection of higher end ebikes so it's worth a visit.

Shiny new Greggs opposite, which almost makes it a cycling destination.

The woodland path on the far side of the footbridge from Finchale Abbey is, strictly speaking 'no cycling', although the tyre tracks tell you lots of us do ride it.

Some roadies carry their bikes up the shallow zig-zag steps to reach the road at the top of the bank.

No chance of that with my ebike.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I went to the Freize art fair in Regents Park, central London today.
yDAPEB0.jpg

oWJnPYR.jpg

These dollops of solidified dripping metal look like parrots.
qXuSvke.jpg

This one is definitely a bird.
215w5Hz.jpg

But this bird is my favourite, and of everything in the park, this was probably getting the most attention, there's just something lovable about penguins.
SM6Erg0.jpg

I think this artist has been in the Brexit thread:whistle:
FYI7K9e.jpg

I liked these coloured perspex panels offering various colour filters to look through as you walked round it.
B7qJHr7.jpg

I wanted an Aero after seeing this, and was reminded of primary school pasta making art works.
sAHXhWv.jpg

Uri Geller's been fiddling with lamp posts again.
P773gF5.jpg

Dancing girls
I63jMMQ.jpg

A large rabbit dancing on a huge anvil, not something I expected to see when setting out this morning.
rGxUhIN.jpg

The leaves are turning in colour and will be falling soon, this one is leading the charge.
kfPjoDq.jpg

And this is quite striking, shame it was cloudy as the glass was coloured and would have looked great in some sunshine.
5mP63vl.jpg

And this is pretty spine tingling......
SOWCj2S.jpg

....explanation here:
UE1hsJ5.jpg

I've been loving the cloud shapes over recent weeks, and there's some great ones on these pages. Here's another one from me crossing the Thames, taken from London bridge looking at Tower Bridge and HMS Belfast.
YXClRxH.jpg

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
The steep learning curve with my off-roading on the revamped Patsy #2 The CX continues. I rode out to Sutton Heath this morning (East of Woodbridge) and tackled a few bridleways and some By-roads. One of those By-roads was a track consisting of deep sand - a fact I discovered by naively trying to cycle over it. My 35mm Schwalbes just couldn't cope and I went over the bars. Twice. The second time I actually heard my self exclaim "Ah! Here we go again!". No apparent damage done to either me or the bike. (Only a slight wrist ache that disappeared after ten minutes.)
The two lessons I picked from this are:
a) continue building more experience and
b) consider gaining this with another rider alongside to help in case the offs are serious.

Anyway, still enjoying the off-roading and here is a pic of the track heading up to the disused Woodbridge Airfield. (An uncle was forced to do an emergency landing here in his Stirling during the war. )

View attachment 427057
The joys of sand. My lad discovered the same thing last week, even on a 29er with fat tyres, sand makes you fall off. His wiser Dad stuck to the path:smile:
Glad you survived, and certainly worth a ride partner if going too far off-piste.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Up at lunchtime after my first shift back at work since returning from holiday, and with half decent weather I figured I'd best get the trike out again. Gradually building confidence on where I ride, so main roads along the river by Runneymede, then up Priest Hill by Battersea Dogs Home before turning into Windsor Great Park, which was heaving with Bank Holiday walkers and riders.
Out of Dukes Gate, round the outside to Sunningdale, then up the A30 before looping through Wentworth, before getting back on the A30. A notable rattle from the front left wheel of the ICE Q gave me a stop in Englefield Green, the Q/R on all 3 wheels was looser than I'd like so nipped up a little before a nice 30 mph decent of Egham HIll (was faster down Prune Hill 2 days back at 35mph, quicker than the cars do it).
A very enjoyable 20 miles, and now the trike is upside down in bits as I try and track down my rattle. There is a hint of play in the left front wheel bearings, noticeably more than the right, so I think new ones are in order as part of the winter strip down and overhaul, she needs a few bits of paint touching up too.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After Saturdays ride, where I simply couldn't get going at all, I'll admit I had a few presses of the snooze button this morning meaning it was nearly half nine before I got out this morning. Mounting the bike at the back gate I though "Hmmm, it's a bit breezy", but more on that later.

With the Leeds Festival finishing last night, today was a day to avoid the roads anywhere near Bramham Park as the great unwashed all headed home, so I needed a route that wouldn't be too taxing and that would keep me well away from bleary eyed festival goers hitting the road.

So, down to Leeds Road and the climb up to Scholes, which my Garmin advised I'd set a PB on, (which it later steadfastly refused to acknowledge when I uploaded the ride...:dry:) - told you it was breezy.
Got held at the junction by the Coronation Tree as a MGIF in a Golf who'd just overtaken me stopped at the line despite there being nothing approaching, just long enough to make me stop and put a foot down and then immediately set off :dry:
Anyhow, up the rise and then the long descent into and through Barwick, all the way down to the Cock Beck bridge where the climb up Cattle Lane restores normalcy before the undulations to Aberford.
Through there and left under the A1(M) bridge for the climb to Lotherton Gates and then across the county line into North Yorkshire and the long descent to the Crooked Billet pub. Past there and a last minute decision to hang a right up the hill into Saxton and out onto Headwell Lane, first climbing, then dropping down onto London Road for a quick right / left into Barkston Ash.

Through there and onto Common Road for the long straight run towards Church Fenton. Without putting too much effort in I was keeping the speed north of 20mph, so I suspected I'd pay for it on the return leg, and I was soon into Church Fenton and over the railway bridge, stopping for a quick pic at the Methodist Church for the 'Bike in front of a church thread'
IMG_20180827_101310971_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Back in the saddle and on through the rest of the village, before taking the turn onto Bracken Hill Lane back out into the flatlands for the still wind assisted run out to Ryther.
Left in the village and into the wind now, over the railway, then through Ozendyke, before the totally exposed section to the caravan park which I've got to admit was a case of dropping down the gears and keeping it spinning.
After all that effort I stopped at Ulleskelf for a flapjack bar and a couple more pics of the clouds scudding past:
IMG_20180827_103826202.jpg
IMG_20180827_104124891_HDR.jpg

Back in the saddle and another left at the junction to head towards Church Fenton past the airfield, but after a few hundred yards another photo opportunity presented itself, so another stop was called for:

IMG_20180827_105135836_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180827_105218993_BURST000_COVER_TOPu.jpg

IMG_20180827_105350476_HDR.jpg

Back out onto the road and on my way again, alternately getting a push from behind and then a swirling gust from the side from the wind which really couldn't make it's mind up at this point.

Into Church Fenton and retraced my route over the railway line and onto Common Lane where the wind was now in my face, but oddly it wasn't as bad as I'd expected and I was able to maintain a reasonable (for me) pace into Barkston Ash through the lightest of showers.
Through there and onto London Road, going the long way into Saxton via Saxton Lane and then back out of the village on Coldhill Lane past the cricket club and Linda's Bench, dropping down onto Copley Lane for the uphill and into the wind run back to Lotherton Gates.
From there into Aberford under the A1(M) bridge where the traffic was at a stand still and through another couple of light showers on Cattle Lane, where I had a couple of slightly dubious passes, before a super wide pass from a Disco driver, which would have been perfect if he hadn't caused a car coming the other way to have to brake to avoid him on their side of the road :eek:
Ultimately no harm done, but waiting just a few moments could have avoided the situation altogether.
Down to the bridge and the climb up into Barwick, then more up through the village and out towards Scholes, before the drop to the Coronation Tree and the final rise, then drop down Leeds Road, again into the wind and requiring pedal power to maintain a decent speed.
Up the other side and onto local roads to home, which despite it being a couple of weeks since they were surfaced dressed still had an excessive amount of loose chippings about (now reported)and resulted in a slight diversion for the last half mile to get off them.

32.10 miles (51.66 km) in 2h 18m at an average of 13.9mph with 1,514ft climbed and an average temperature of 15.7°C

I really enjoyed that and despite the blustery headwinds at times it felt good too, unlike Saturdays ride which was hard work all the way round - funny thing cycling. Plus it's another point for the half century challenge.
A few cyclists out, but not as many as you might expect for a bank holiday.

And to end, the map:
27082018.JPG

Edit to add - something funny is afoot with Garmin - I'm not showing on the segment leaderboard, but if I change the filter to just "me" then it's there. Email to support.

Last edited:
Today’s ride I shall entitle “Slow Solo to Ventoux”.....

I thought I’d cap off a great bank holiday weekend of cycling with one more voyage out to the cycling staple round these parts that is Cafe Ventoux.

The brief was really simple- follow National Cycle Route 63 pretty much all the way. With that borne in mind I set off without putting in navigation and picked up said cycle route 2 miles down the road at Ellistown and preceded to follow the marked route taking in Thornton Reservoir where the freshly resurfaced road put paid to any lofty ambitions of a segment smash!!

Climbing back out of the reservoir valley I crossed over and continued along route 63 into the woods at Ratby. I cocked up a little, missing a left turn midway down and venturing for half a mile down a bridleway so my new steed was subjected to a little MTB time....can’t imagine it would thank me for it!

Once back on the right track it was through Ratby and Glenfield (staying on route 63) and into Leicester City Centre. Not the best paths but rideable. I’d ridden this route a time or three and barring my little cock up in Ratby woods all was well.

Until I got into Leicester.

The signage had all but disappeared once I’d left the riverside section of it and I was regularly stopping to check where I was supposed to go.

After three wrong turns I finally lost patience with the nonexistent signage, spat my dummy out a bit and let rip a few expletives to myself, had a drink and plotted the remainder of the route via RWGPS and quickly synced it to the wahoo, hence the two strava links attached to this write up.

Bingo!

Eventually managed to get out of Leicester along the route taking in Evington and Stoughton and the signage returned, although I was taking no chances! Some lovely rolling roads followed for the next few miles and not even the strong-at-times wind could ruin my enjoyment of the surroundings. I’ve been to Ventoux a few times but always approached it from the north which is very lumpy indeed, but this was much less so.

I knew I was getting close not just because I could see signs for Tugby (where it is) but also by virtue of the fact that there were more cyclists than usual all of a sudden!

Eventually crossing the A47 I pulled in to Ventoux and was almost immediately approached by an exiting group of riders who wanted their customary photo under the sign, often done as a badge of honour if you will. I was no exception to this as I also had mine done too!!

Got in and had a bacon sarnie, chocolate tiffin and a big black coffee to top up the old energy levels, having a browse around the shop whilst I waited for the food and balking at the extortionate prices of some of their gear! I still love it here regardless, it’s a good vibe, everyone’s friendly and a lot of the staff are, shall we say, easy on the eye.....:whistle:

The weather had warmed up and the wind jacket I had on coming was packed away for the return leg. Topped up the water bottle, and it was off for the return leg which was right back the way I came.

Nothing spectacular to note on the way back, just got my head down and cracked on with it. Cocked up once again with the route through Leicester Centre but kept my composure this time and eventually found the trail back home.

I did divert off the trail a little at Ratby and also when I got back to Coalville I pulled in a couple of extra miles as I wanted to make sure I got over the line for the 62 miles/100km, it was a bit more difficult to work out this time as I’d done 48 miles on the wahoo but couldn’t remember what I’d done partially on the way there!

Anyway, that’s enough s**te from me.

64.7 miles in just over 4-and-a-half hours. Photos at the bottom.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1800397210
https://www.strava.com/activities/1800827329

https://www.relive.cc/view/1800397210
https://www.relive.cc/view/1800827329

The badge of honour
2149FE48-4E03-43F2-8ADE-5CB4A09E6351.jpeg

Selfie
0CB131B8-33A8-4DC9-BFCE-B69D2F6831CF.jpeg

The view from the room
51C190FF-FE95-4601-9277-289DCDE79E72.jpeg

Food!!!!
DFB23BF5-646B-4B2B-88EB-97B9DBFB7394.jpeg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yesterday's Ride. Wild Wales Challenge 2018

This year WWC should be renamed. Wild Wales Weather Challenge. Of 650 entrants only 240 were brave enough (in the face of the forecast) to sign on. Well just how bad could it be? It was a tad chilly and damp at the start (Bala) and having met Andy G we were soon warming up on the testing hills away from HQ. At 2 miles Andy punctured. After a brief assessment he suggested I carry on and we'd meet at the first control rather than us both get cold. So I headed up the valley to climb the Hirnant Pass. Head wind wasn't helping and progress was slow. We were all grinding slowly up into the clouds. 1663 feet is the top and as we went over onto the descent the rain was biblical. Cold too. Some groups got back together at the bottom and the ride along Lake Vyrnwy was fairly brisk. The rain continued. It was quite a slog over the steep lumps (several at 17%) on the way to Dolanog and I was beginning to loose the faith. Thoughts of abandoning and heading back were dismissed, well until the first control anyway. Others around me were also discussing sending a rider back for a car. It really was tough. Eventually the first control hove into view. I was unable to get my timing card scanned because I couldn't get my gloves off my cold hands. Once sorted I could get some hot tea and food into me. Riders were hanging over the few radiators in attempts to warm themselves and dry clothing. Helpers were continually mopping the floor as riders dripped.

After recovering a bit and waiting for Andy I decided I'd ride on as I didn't want to get too cold or stiff. So back out into the downpour I went for the gradual climb over the Nant Yr Eira. In this weather it was a bit of a slog but nothing for it but to carry on. Eventually the descent took us to Talerddig to start another climb up and over to Bont Dolgadfan. Now we were faced with a real struggle of a steep and long climb up the Bwlch Glynmynydd and the drop to Talywern was a welcome change. Just some 17% slopes before we joined the Dylife mountain road and we could ride easily into the lunch control at Machynlleth.

Refreshed I headed out into more rain. But it was a bit warmer. The ride in the lanes north by The Centre for Alternative Technology to Corris and Aberangell is superb on a nice day. It was still a lovely ride in these dire conditions but the 20% slopes in the Dyfi Forest were quite a struggle. These hills are noticeable but the real monster was still ahead. The time passed quite well tho' and I rolled up to the control in Dinas Mawddwy to the news that one of our number had left the road and may be injured in a field. The rescue helpers headed out.

Now it was time to ride up the valley and climb the monster. The Bwlch Y Groes climbs 1100 feet in 1.5 miles and has sections of 20% involved. Brutal with 85 miles of much climbing already in the legs. Today the wind was helping until nearly the top where it reversed. That was it really although the weather was grim up there (1774 feet) it was a case of put the windproofs back on and drop to Lake Bala. It wasn't long to go from the bottom of the climb to the HQ and often times this bit of road feels easy. It almost did today. I'd completed a very tough Challenge today that's for sure. It wasn't about speed this one. Survival was the key. I'm here to tell the tale! Oh - 11700 feet of climbing and 101 miles today - I know I've done it. Time for some rest.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.

This year WWC should be renamed. Wild Wales Weather Challenge. Of 650 entrants only 240 were brave enough (in the face of the forecast) to sign on. Well just how bad could it be? It was a tad chilly and damp at the start (Bala) and having met Andy G we were soon warming up on the testing hills away from HQ. At 2 miles Andy punctured. After a brief assessment he suggested I carry on and we'd meet at the first control rather than us both get cold. So I headed up the valley to climb the Hirnant Pass. Head wind wasn't helping and progress was slow. We were all grinding slowly up into the clouds. 1663 feet is the top and as we went over onto the descent the rain was biblical. Cold too. Some groups got back together at the bottom and the ride along Lake Vyrnwy was fairly brisk. The rain continued. It was quite a slog over the steep lumps (several at 17%) on the way to Dolanog and I was beginning to loose the faith. Thoughts of abandoning and heading back were dismissed, well until the first control anyway. Others around me were also discussing sending a rider back for a car. It really was tough. Eventually the first control hove into view. I was unable to get my timing card scanned because I couldn't get my gloves off my cold hands. Once sorted I could get some hot tea and food into me. Riders were hanging over the few radiators in attempts to warm themselves and dry clothing. Helpers were continually mopping the floor as riders dripped.

After recovering a bit and waiting for Andy I decided I'd ride on as I didn't want to get too cold or stiff. So back out into the downpour I went for the gradual climb over the Nant Yr Eira. In this weather it was a bit of a slog but nothing for it but to carry on. Eventually the descent took us to Talerddig to start another climb up and over to Bont Dolgadfan. Now we were faced with a real struggle of a steep and long climb up the Bwlch Glynmynydd and the drop to Talywern was a welcome change. Just some 17% slopes before we joined the Dylife mountain road and we could ride easily into the lunch control at Machynlleth.

Refreshed I headed out into more rain. But it was a bit warmer. The ride in the lanes north by The Centre for Alternative Technology to Corris and Aberangell is superb on a nice day. It was still a lovely ride in these dire conditions but the 20% slopes in the Dyfi Forest were quite a struggle. These hills are noticeable but the real monster was still ahead. The time passed quite well tho' and I rolled up to the control in Dinas Mawddwy to the news that one of our number had left the road and may be injured in a field. The rescue helpers headed out.

Now it was time to ride up the valley and climb the monster. The Bwlch Y Groes climbs 1100 feet in 1.5 miles and has sections of 20% involved. Brutal with 85 miles of much climbing already in the legs. Today the wind was helping until nearly the top where it reversed. That was it really although the weather was grim up there (1774 feet) it was a case of put the windproofs back on and drop to Lake Bala. It wasn't long to go from the bottom of the climb to the HQ and often times this bit of road feels easy. It almost did today. I'd completed a very tough Challenge today that's for sure. It wasn't about speed this one. Survival was the key. I'm here to tell the tale! Oh - 11700 feet of climbing and 101 miles today - I know I've done it. Time for some rest.

Dinas and Aberangell is my neck of the woods. Well done in the cold.

colly

Re member eR

Well done for sticking with it.:okay: That's a lot of climbing.

Top Bottom