Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Yesterday's Ride. Wild Wales Challenge 2018

This year WWC should be renamed. Wild Wales Weather Challenge. Of 650 entrants only 240 were brave enough (in the face of the forecast) to sign on. Well just how bad could it be? It was a tad chilly and damp at the start (Bala) and having met Andy G we were soon warming up on the testing hills away from HQ. At 2 miles Andy punctured. After a brief assessment he suggested I carry on and we'd meet at the first control rather than us both get cold. So I headed up the valley to climb the Hirnant Pass. Head wind wasn't helping and progress was slow. We were all grinding slowly up into the clouds. 1663 feet is the top and as we went over onto the descent the rain was biblical. Cold too. Some groups got back together at the bottom and the ride along Lake Vyrnwy was fairly brisk. The rain continued. It was quite a slog over the steep lumps (several at 17%) on the way to Dolanog and I was beginning to loose the faith. Thoughts of abandoning and heading back were dismissed, well until the first control anyway. Others around me were also discussing sending a rider back for a car. It really was tough. Eventually the first control hove into view. I was unable to get my timing card scanned because I couldn't get my gloves off my cold hands. Once sorted I could get some hot tea and food into me. Riders were hanging over the few radiators in attempts to warm themselves and dry clothing. Helpers were continually mopping the floor as riders dripped.

After recovering a bit and waiting for Andy I decided I'd ride on as I didn't want to get too cold or stiff. So back out into the downpour I went for the gradual climb over the Nant Yr Eira. In this weather it was a bit of a slog but nothing for it but to carry on. Eventually the descent took us to Talerddig to start another climb up and over to Bont Dolgadfan. Now we were faced with a real struggle of a steep and long climb up the Bwlch Glynmynydd and the drop to Talywern was a welcome change. Just some 17% slopes before we joined the Dylife mountain road and we could ride easily into the lunch control at Machynlleth.

Refreshed I headed out into more rain. But it was a bit warmer. The ride in the lanes north by The Centre for Alternative Technology to Corris and Aberangell is superb on a nice day. It was still a lovely ride in these dire conditions but the 20% slopes in the Dyfi Forest were quite a struggle. These hills are noticeable but the real monster was still ahead. The time passed quite well tho' and I rolled up to the control in Dinas Mawddwy to the news that one of our number had left the road and may be injured in a field. The rescue helpers headed out.

Now it was time to ride up the valley and climb the monster. The Bwlch Y Groes climbs 1100 feet in 1.5 miles and has sections of 20% involved. Brutal with 85 miles of much climbing already in the legs. Today the wind was helping until nearly the top where it reversed. That was it really although the weather was grim up there (1774 feet) it was a case of put the windproofs back on and drop to Lake Bala. It wasn't long to go from the bottom of the climb to the HQ and often times this bit of road feels easy. It almost did today. I'd completed a very tough Challenge today that's for sure. It wasn't about speed this one. Survival was the key. I'm here to tell the tale! Oh - 11700 feet of climbing and 101 miles today - I know I've done it. Time for some rest.

Somehow a mere 'like' doesn't seem enough. Well done for sticking at it:notworthy::notworthy:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
QUOTE="twentysix by twentyfive, post: 5363611, member: 158"]Yesterday's Ride. Wild Wales Challenge 2018

This year WWC should be renamed. Wild Wales Weather Challenge. Of 650 entrants only 240 were brave enough (in the face of the forecast) to sign on. Well just how bad could it be? ]
Chapeau Sir! We are not worthy.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

No ride today, as I was at work on a 12:00 - 20:00

Sunday...……………………..
Bike selected; CGR (persistant heavy rain, with more to come)
Weather; cold, wet, miserable

Yesterday was a ride via Wakefield, Horbury Bridge, and Middlestown, up to 'Caphouse Colliery' (the National Mining Museum) for the Leafers At T'Pit gathering
Ie; leaf-sprung Land Rovers (only!)

A very, very wet ride!!!!!

With a side trip on the way back to the old Charles Roberts works & for some 'street-art'
Both as seen elsewhere in the 'Trig Points', 'Railways', & 'Street Art' threads

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's Ride. Wild Wales Challenge 2018

This year WWC should be renamed. Wild Wales Weather Challenge. Of 650 entrants only 240 were brave enough (in the face of the forecast) to sign on. Well just how bad could it be? It was a tad chilly and damp at the start (Bala) and having met Andy G we were soon warming up on the testing hills away from HQ. At 2 miles Andy punctured. After a brief assessment he suggested I carry on and we'd meet at the first control rather than us both get cold. So I headed up the valley to climb the Hirnant Pass. Head wind wasn't helping and progress was slow. We were all grinding slowly up into the clouds. 1663 feet is the top and as we went over onto the descent the rain was biblical. Cold too. Some groups got back together at the bottom and the ride along Lake Vyrnwy was fairly brisk. The rain continued. It was quite a slog over the steep lumps (several at 17%) on the way to Dolanog and I was beginning to loose the faith. Thoughts of abandoning and heading back were dismissed, well until the first control anyway. Others around me were also discussing sending a rider back for a car. It really was tough. Eventually the first control hove into view. I was unable to get my timing card scanned because I couldn't get my gloves off my cold hands. Once sorted I could get some hot tea and food into me. Riders were hanging over the few radiators in attempts to warm themselves and dry clothing. Helpers were continually mopping the floor as riders dripped.

After recovering a bit and waiting for Andy I decided I'd ride on as I didn't want to get too cold or stiff. So back out into the downpour I went for the gradual climb over the Nant Yr Eira. In this weather it was a bit of a slog but nothing for it but to carry on. Eventually the descent took us to Talerddig to start another climb up and over to Bont Dolgadfan. Now we were faced with a real struggle of a steep and long climb up the Bwlch Glynmynydd and the drop to Talywern was a welcome change. Just some 17% slopes before we joined the Dylife mountain road and we could ride easily into the lunch control at Machynlleth.

Refreshed I headed out into more rain. But it was a bit warmer. The ride in the lanes north by The Centre for Alternative Technology to Corris and Aberangell is superb on a nice day. It was still a lovely ride in these dire conditions but the 20% slopes in the Dyfi Forest were quite a struggle. These hills are noticeable but the real monster was still ahead. The time passed quite well tho' and I rolled up to the control in Dinas Mawddwy to the news that one of our number had left the road and may be injured in a field. The rescue helpers headed out.

Now it was time to ride up the valley and climb the monster. The Bwlch Y Groes climbs 1100 feet in 1.5 miles and has sections of 20% involved. Brutal with 85 miles of much climbing already in the legs. Today the wind was helping until nearly the top where it reversed. That was it really although the weather was grim up there (1774 feet) it was a case of put the windproofs back on and drop to Lake Bala. It wasn't long to go from the bottom of the climb to the HQ and often times this bit of road feels easy. It almost did today. I'd completed a very tough Challenge today that's for sure. It wasn't about speed this one. Survival was the key. I'm here to tell the tale! Oh - 11700 feet of climbing and 101 miles today - I know I've done it. Time for some rest.
Very well done!:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
43852C69-7C10-4418-B8BD-EF55D2DBA107.jpeg
C977210F-573A-4954-9F8B-D2BED99951AF.jpeg
D31CFBC7-8DC6-4081-815C-68B448CFE63E.jpeg

My usual morning commute 6.7 miles with an average of 16.5 mph. Then an extended home commute via Healaugh, Askham Bryan & Naburn 25.4 miles with an average of 17.1 mph.
Pretty windy but it felt much warmer than yesterday. Fab ride.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After a morning in the cinema (Christopher Robin, not too bad...) I was allowed out this afternoon, on a utility ride. SO my lad came along and we extended it to 11 miles, and didn't get the shopping as the bikes had nowhere to be locked up. Nevermind:smile:

theloafer

Legendary Member
off work :hyper: for a few days so got my @rse into gear this morning..as the last of the Darlington rides is this Sunday (the hell of the north) which is the 100 miler. and the old legs need some big miles in them :ohmy: so it was of to darlo to see my old cycling buddy Walter but rather just go straight there about 7 miles thought I would do the route were we first became cycling buddy's, way back in 2001:okay:
mileage ended up as 75miles:laugh:
dry but a tad windy. and was strange been alone but in a good way :biggrin:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1803464923

WP_20180828_003.jpg

WP_20180828_004.jpg

WP_20180828_006.jpg

WP_20180828_010.jpg

WP_20180828_017.jpg

WP_20180828_018.jpg

WP_20180828_020.jpg

WP_20180828_013.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've been meaning to get out for an evening ride all summer but for one reason or another haven't managed it until now. I used the Raleigh and went for an extended version of my Acton Burnell loop taking in Condover, Cound, Harnage, Cound Moor, Acton Burnell, Longnor, Condover again and back via Lyth hill.

Sadly it was a bit of an overcast evening so I wasdn't going to get a sunset, but it was pleasantly warm with not too much wind. I'd done a tweak to the saddle setup on the last ride but coming back to it didn't feel right so I've tried something different and we'll see how that goes.

The traffic was light at this time of the day so no incidents to report. Lights were needed from Cound onwards and as it got properly dark I realised that the fronts were aimed too high and I must have been dazzling people. I've done some adjustments and think it's right now but will do some more testing another evening. (The other bikes will want checking/adjusting too, especially as I've just changed the handlebar on the Hawk).

26.3 miles at 14.5 mph average.

DSC0006973.jpg

Tizme

Veteran
Looks like you started out somewhere near where I used to work in Evercreech?
I live in the middle of the village, between the village hall and St Peters'.

Looking at riding out to W-S-M on Friday (72 mile round trip), as now I am retired my wife complained that she never gets a day to herself, so it looks like I've got to make myself scarce and thought I'd try the Brean Down Way.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Where did that wind come from?

Out this morning for something slightly longer: Montford Bridge, Little Ness, Prescott, Yeaton, Merrington, Hadnall, Upton Magna, Cross Houses, Condover, Lyth Hill & home.

I set out into a light wind and another reasonably warm day. Got overtaken by a faster rider on the cycle paths before Copthorne, was beeped at on the climb at Bicton then found roadworks just after Little Ness where the lights weren't working.... but they were at the other end.

I was taking the long way round to Yeaton just because it's a road I haven't been down before. The wind was behind me for a while from here which was helpful as it's undulating and I made decent progress through Hadnall to Astley. A bit of a wait for the traffic on the A53 then I was on my way over a couple of hills to Upton Magna. It was along this stretch that I noticed that the wind had picked up and coming from the west it wasn't particularly helpful on the way through Atcham to Condover.

At Condover I started heading for home the most direct way and ran into a pig of a headwind as it had strengthened and shifted round to more of a north-westerley. It was already knocking a few mph off my speed and I knew that the short run up the main road wouldn't be much fun at all in these conditions so took a left and headed over Lyth Hill instead which was on lanes that are a bit more sheltered.

I finished off with a twit of a driver trying to overtake me even though there was a van parked on the other side of the road and not enough gap to get past. She realised at the last moment and stamped on the brakes thank goodness. Some people really don't pay attention to what's right in front of them.:wacko:

36.6 miles at 15.2 average.

Sorry, no photos this time.

Where did that wind come from?

Out this morning for something slightly longer: Montford Bridge, Little Ness, Prescott, Yeaton, Merrington, Hadnall, Upton Magna, Cross Houses, Condover, Lyth Hill & home.

I set out into a light wind and another reasonably warm day. Got overtaken by a faster rider on the cycle paths before Copthorne, was beeped at on the climb at Bicton then found roadworks just after Little Ness where the lights weren't working.... but they were at the other end.

I was taking the long way round to Yeaton just because it's a road I haven't been down before. The wind was behind me for a while from here which was helpful as it's undulating and I made decent progress through Hadnall to Astley. A bit of a wait for the traffic on the A53 then I was on my way over a couple of hills to Upton Magna. It was along this stretch that I noticed that the wind had picked up and coming from the west it wasn't particularly helpful on the way through Atcham to Condover.

At Condover I started heading for home the most direct way and ran into a pig of a headwind as it had strengthened and shifted round to more of a north-westerley. It was already knocking a few mph off my speed and I knew that the short run up the main road wouldn't be much fun at all in these conditions so took a left and headed over Lyth Hill instead which was on lanes that are a bit more sheltered.

I finished off with a twit of a driver trying to overtake me even though there was a van parked on the other side of the road and not enough gap to get past. She realised at the last moment and stamped on the brakes thank goodness. Some people really don't pay attention to what's right in front of them.:wacko:

36.6 miles at 15.2 average.

Sorry, no photos this time.

Meh, women drivers eh?!?:whistle::laugh:

Seriously though I’m glad all went well, good ride. :okay:

Top Bottom