Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Ride to Otley my favourite place of all.It was not the distance 27 miles,it was not Otley.It was the way how i felt,fantastic no aching legs,no tiredness,enrgy when i needed it. Moving speed 13mph average 11.7mph.Pleased with that.I also think doing the turbo this week helped the legs,i also pushed my saddle forward a little,i might push it a little more.A great time out.

Cavalol

Guru
Out again this morning using the Galaxy for its first outing since the century ride at the start of the month.

I went for one of my standard routes just for simplicity (must try a bit of variety soon) out through Condover, Exfords Green, Minsterley, Westbury, Melverley, Great Ness, Montford Bridge and back via Meole Brace.

It's a nice sunny day out now but was quite a chilly start meaning I needed a fleece on for the first time in ages. Lots of traffic on the main roads so it took a while to get going and I had an unscheduled stop when my chain jammed while shifting down from high range (it has done this randomly and I can't work out what the problem is).

En route to Plealey I encountered an equestrian with two horses (the first of several this morning). Tried to follow the van just ahead of me past them (giving lots of room) but a car came rather quickly in the other direction meaning I had to brake and drop back in. I got quite an annoyed look off the rider due to the squeal my brakes made.:blush: I caught and overtook another cyclist on the way into Pontesbury then had a pretty quiet and pleasant run all the way through to Melverley where I took the only pictures of this trip.

My legs ached pretty well after the ride on the Raleigh yesterday and that came back to haunt me from Melverley onwards as I struggled to keep up the sort of pace I'd normally do fairly easily. The climb before Great Ness felt like a bit of a slog today and the next one on the way to Bicton was similar. On this stretch I had three unnecessarily close passes as drivers didn't want to put a wheel over the white line which did rather annoy me.

At Shelton I found a second wind so stuck to the road for a bit as I was getting along at a good pace.

36.6 miles at 15.3 mph average. Fairly happy with that under the circumstances.

View attachment 427553
From the English side of the Severn crossing at Crew Green. The campsite just across the river has a few teepees up.

View attachment 427554
A look over the other side of the bridge.

View attachment 427555
View to the Breidden from Melverley.

I used to drive round there a fair bit in my last job, some lovely routes for cycling. Iirc, you can get from the sort of back of Minsterley and drop down into Newtown, going past that big supermarket (Tuffins?). Would love a ride round there.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I used to drive round there a fair bit in my last job, some lovely routes for cycling. Iirc, you can get from the sort of back of Minsterley and drop down into Newtown, going past that big supermarket (Tuffins?). Would love a ride round there.

I know Newtown. ^_^

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I am back from a 28 mile bimble . Did the Mach loop then before leaving Mach I turned onto a side road that goes through Mach golf course

I saw 3 jets doing the Mach loop as well and I took a photo for @roadrash showing a road sign for.Aberangell.:laugh:

Then did the smaller loop that I usually do. Lovely weather. Lots of sun and warmth. 3 roadies passed me and they all said hello, and 1 woman on a fat bike as well. View attachment 427578 View attachment 427579 View attachment 427581 View attachment 427582 View attachment 427583 View attachment 427584 View attachment 427586

I should have said the photo of Aberangelll was for @twentysix by twentyfive . ^_^

Many thanks wd :thumbsup:. Looks like you know how to pick the weather^_^. I think I recognise the Golf Course - the one on the Dylife mountain road? And the bridge is the one just outside Mach on the cycle path I think? - where the A493 and A487 sort of join?

welsh dragon

Many thanks wd :thumbsup:. Looks like you know how to pick the weather^_^. I think I recognise the Golf Course - the one on the Dylife mountain road? And the bridge is the one just outside Mach on the cycle path I think? - where the A493 and A487 sort of join?

Spot on. Well done for knowing where the pics were taken today. And tomorrow the weather is going to be just as nice. ^_^

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
5493A2E6-6A2E-42F6-B208-774AE639FA3A.jpeg
7EF24454-D88E-49C8-8842-96A176B46840.jpeg
F018C6C9-5D5A-4772-9434-16EFAE68348C.jpeg

It was quite a chilly commute this morning, 6.6 miles with an average of 16.3 mph. The afternoon was lovely so an extended home commute with a little extra loop so 36.9 miles in total with an average of 18.4 mph. Although I got stung by a wasp I felt really strong tonight which could have been the high protein porridge pot I had for a late lunch? I may get some more. Fab ride!

Last edited:

theloafer

Legendary Member
Spent many a happy miles cycling round that part of the country, recognised the ford at Stanhope straight away, looks closed to traffic now.

yes its closed been like that about 3 years I think

Mr Celine

Discordian
[QUOTE 5365875, member: 9609"]I will have to go and investigate but it does seem a bit stupid when you can ride up the east side.
I wish they would o something between Bonjedward and Ancrum, there's no alternative but the A68[/QUOTE]
I've never been brave enough to try that. I take a long detour via Crailing and Nisbet.

welsh dragon

Another 17 miles today. Higher gears and harder work. Only stopped once to take a couple of photos. The small church at Llanrwin. And another one. My house is behind the hills in the background. And a car carrying bikes on top went past me in the opposite direction and the driver waved at me. Is that what they call a double whammy.? :laugh:

Attachments

• 20180831_114241.jpg
    20180831_114241.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20180831_105250.jpg
    20180831_105250.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 34
  • 20180831_105148.jpg
    20180831_105148.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 32

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A ride in company for a change today, going for a jaunt with @gavgav to get his August 50km challenge ride in.

It was an earlyish start and in the cool, damp air felt properly autumnal for the first time this season. It was very sunny though so promised to warm up nicely later on. I got the Raleigh out and headed over to Gav's for about 8 and we were off with a fairly twisty route through the suburbs of Shrewsbury before heading out of town along the old canal path to Uffington and Upton Magna.

We continued along roads I've become very familar with as far as Walcot then we took the lanes to Isombridge and Longdon-on-Tern which I haven't been on for a good couple of years. It's nice, easy riding along here through some pleasant scenery, although the lanes could really do with resurfacing (quite rough with grass growing down the middle in places).

At Longdon-on-Tern we took a couple of lefts, passing the now rebuilt Tayleur Arms pub (The last time I was here the place was in ruins after a fire) and headed along some slightly smoother roads to Rodington, Roden Poynton Green, Bings Heath and up the climb to Ebury Hill.

Gav hasn't ridden as much as I have this summer so was finding the saddle a bit firm and the legs a bit tired on the climb along the edge of Haughmond Hill but we both really enjoyed the fast descent back to Upton Magna where he chose to head back via Atcham rather than retrace our steps through the suburbs.

We got up a bit of speed past Attingham Park then had a drink stop on the old bridge before tackling Chilton Lane and King Street which have a couple of nasty little climbs. Then it was back on easier roads to Weeping Cross before we parted and I headed for home.

A good ride in good company with nice weather and without any incidents to spoil things. Happy with that.^_^

37.4 miles by the time I got back at 13mph average.

Not many photos taken today as we needed to be back by a set time so kept the stops to a minimum.

DSC0006980.jpg

Gav about to leave town behind and head for the countryside.

DSC0006982.jpg

Much later in the ride we are passing through Upton Magna for the second time.

DSC0006983.jpg

View from the old bridge at Atcham.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've not been to Newtown on the bike (yet) but have ridden some of the roads in the area you mention when going to Montgomery. Some good riding and nice scenery round there.:okay:

Top Bottom