Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
A lovely 2 hour ride in the afternoon sunshine. A57, Culcheth Lowton, A580. Clockwise for a change. The hedgerows were bright with orange, purple and red berries. The smell from the buddleia all along the path by the ship canal was delightful and seeing the sun glinting on the water makes it easy to zone out from the traffic. Once I turned off and took Damn Ln towards Culcheth, all of the fields were either newly ploughed or being ploughed. Rabbits in the grass verges too.

Had some unexpected free time in the afternoon so bike ride? why not ...
Did a route that I had not done for a while, and was impressed with Northumberland County Council - 3 or 4 of the roads had been newly tarmacked, lovely to see (and ride on), especially up a fairly steep bank at the start, was always a struggle but the crumbling road made it even harder - surprising what a piece of flat tarmac can do :-)

Was due to finish after around 25 miles, but was feeling good, and the back was feeling fine (lowered saddle by 10mm) so went on to complete 44 miles.
Knew it had been tough, was very windy, but surprised to get my highest 'suffer score' on strava - think I usually get between 60 and 100, but this ride scored 215 with the words "massive relative effort". Not sure what it all means but at least Strava recognised my effort ^_^

upload_2018-8-31_20-1-48.png

upload_2018-8-31_20-2-28.png

upload_2018-8-31_20-3-5.png

upload_2018-8-31_20-3-47.png

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It wasn't planned but I got a second ride in this afternoon. I mentioned a few rides ago that my speedometer for the knockabout bike got crushed by traffic, what I haven't mentioned is that during cleaning I also discovered that a chainring bolt was missing. The replacement speedo came a few days ago and I managed to get into Dave Mellor Cycles this afternoon for a new chainring bolt (actually a pack of five which was fortunate as the one I took to get a match broke when I was refitting it)

A test ride was needed so I headed off to ride my Acton Burnell loop, into what felt more like a midsummer day compared to the autumnal feel earlier. I'd only gone a few yards when I realised I'd also meant to tweak the saddle as the new setup I really liked the other day had made my knee hurt afterwards. That done, I needed to brave the traffic on the A49 which was pretty busy but once past Condover things quietened down and it became a very nice routine ride.

The saddle adjustment makes the bike feel slower to ride but the speedo suggests otherwise and the knees feel fine so I'll stick with that for the time being.

When I reached Acton Burnell I wanted to extend the ride a little but I couldn't be out too long so I went to Cound Moor and followed the road from there directly to Cound which is a way I haven't ridden for a while. Here I met a small lorry with a polite driver who let me past on a narrow bit when I'd quite happily have pulled over to the side.

The lanes were pretty quiet for the rest of the trip back to Condover where I decided to go over Lyth Hill thinking that it was getting near to rush hour and the main road was likely to be even busier. It was, and took a while to get a gap to cross over. Glad I didn't go the direct route today.

21.8 miles at 14 mph average and everything on the bike worked as expected without falling off or breaking.:thumbsup: I might have a rest tomorrow.^_^

DSC0006985.jpg

View en route between Cound Moor and Cound

Nothing special here, just a quick fizz round my seven mile Downham - Pymoor loop to test re-positioned cleats on the shoes I bought on Wednesday. Left foot is fine, right foot still needs a touch of tweakage.

Lovely afternoon to be out on the bike, enjoying the sights, smells and sounds of countryside heading towards autumn. Some of the hedgerows look truly spectacular, loaded with all sorts of goodies. Except hazelnuts. There's a dearth of those this year...

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Yesterday, my mate Dan and I took the train to Brampton (a request stop!) and rode to Lowestoft so I could claim my next two Points of the Compass of Suffolk - namely the most Easterly and Northern. The weather was fantastic, I made plenty of notes for a possible mini travelogue and was had some great beer and food at The Duke's Head at Somerleyton.
The train ride back from Lowestoft was notable in that the driver was forced to stop to clear some rocks from the line placed there by children and had to reverse the train back just to make sure everything was clear.

Me and a big fan at The Ness.

1.JPG

Pasty #2 The CX enjoying the sights at Suffolk's (and the UK's) most Easterly point.

4.JPG

And doing the same at Suffolk's most Northern point. (Near Lound.)

11.JPG

postman

Legendary Member
ok i went out,but i did not try to get to Swinsty or the other two reservoirs.I did get to Weston then Askwith and i got two thirds of the way up that hill ,on to the tops main road,i have photos to prove it.But this was the furthest i have been this year,i have been that bad.So at the two thirds point,i was huffing and puffing so i thought save the top bit till later,came back to Otley really pleased and got two lattes.
I took a few photos ,and what was nice a few of the younger end of the age scale,shouted and asked if i was ok,that was nice.Also in Otley i bought three bananas,well i tried.I like them a little ripe,so i picked three out two which had black spots on them,the lady said you can have them for nothing,no i
said so we came to agree i put 50p in the Air Ambulance tin,what a nice gesture from the stall holders.
I also sorted the battery problem out thanks to you lot.One i put it on battery saver,then flight mode and hid the map.30 miles and it held it's charge great 100% down to 47%.Thanks for the help i don't need to change the app.All in all a great morning out.

Extra extra,i have just found i can see my ride as a moving object on my phone,:bicycle:.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 and I headed over to Upton. Margaret PR, Sara P, John G, Jules H and Pete M met there too. The call was Fladbury so we chatted our way by Strensham, Defford, Eckington and the Combertons for Bricklehampton and the crossing of the Avon at Fladbury. Craycombe Farm Tea Rooms laid on some lovely refreshments.

Lots of sorting out the world later John headed homeward on the main road while we all looped over the airfield and took to the ford at Pinvin. Sara headed back from Drakes Broughton. We compromised on Pete's loop by taking in the level crossing at Wadborough for Stonehall Common. Kinnersley bank saw the return of some leg power for me after last Sunday. Mrs 26 decided to potter back so the remaining 4 took the Brotheridge Green route for two Guarlford road loops. Pete headed off for an appointment with his other half while Margaret and Jules accepted a cuppa Chez 26. Mrs 26 wasn't long after and all agreed we'd had a lovely social outing today. 55 smiles

Tizme

Veteran
A trip to Weston Super Mare yesterday, 75 miles in total. Two reasons for giving it a go, check that my hub dynamo was working ok and to try out the Brean Down Way. I have to say it was a very pleasant day out, even if I did manage to go off track and spent a bit of time on the A38!

One of several WW2 Pill Boxes dotted around Wells, this one is at Godney.
DSCI0271.JPG

The pier at WSM, too busy for me (it doesn't look too bad from the photo, but after the peace of the country lanes it was bedlam!)
DSCI0273.JPG
Despite being ready to eat my own arm I carried on and finally stopped just after Sandford Station on the Strawberry Line:
DSCI0282.JPG

I tend to use cycle.travel for routes using my tourer and cyclepaths, but I didn't look closely enough and joined the Brean Down Way near the end and off an access track (still marked Route 33) that would have been better on a mountain bike! The bit I did had me stopping every 400m (or so it seemed) opening gates or negotiating kissing gates, which was a bit disappointing and fully loaded I would probably have turned the air blue!
Once onto the Strawberry Line (and feeling better after my lunch) I gaily peddled along, completely ignoring my Garmin as it buzzed that I was off course. Reluctantly backtracking until I knew where I was I proceeded to go around the mulberry bush until I ended up on the A38, at least it wasn't quite as busy as the M5 I'd cycled over after leaving WSM:
DSCI0279.JPG

Managing to finally work out where I was I cut my losses and headed back towards Wells and eventually back on to my original route.
WSM Ride Map.jpg

It probably sounds like I had a bad day, but in fact it was really great, lots of empty lanes, warm sun, a flask of good coffee and cheese & mango chutney sandwiches and the whole day to do the ride, bliss:thumbsup:
And the hub dynamo works^_^

I had intended going out this afternoon
The morning was out, as I had a drive to Selby, then shopping at the (Glasshoughton) ASDA

A dear morning too;

Wifes C-HR -hybrid was running on fumes so needed filling, as did daughters (Vauxhall) Adam, so I thought "what the hell!", & filled mine up too
£120 later, & 3 trips to the same garage....no wonder the man on the counter was looking at me oddly

However, I ended up on a 15 foot scaffold tower, trimming trees, in the garden, with an electric chainsaw :wacko:
(having washed the CGR beforehand, & left it to dry)

Then I had to set up the cleats on my new Sidis (MTB soles, for the commute, with SPDs)
DSCF6422.JPG

Ryther?

Just an hour and a half to spare today before I take the mother-in-law back to Wakefield. A quick spin, 19 miles with an average of 16.8 mph. Lovely day.

Who says Wakefield wants her back, she's yours - keep her there:angel:

Tomorrow = Ride??? (& various photographs)
I certainly hope so

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
First bike ride since early June today due to vv op on both legs and a slight complication of an overhealing wound meaning I had to spend 4 weeks doing nothing strenuous whilst the wound of the wound healed, having originally been told to walk at least 2 miles a day. 18.3 miles and 896ft climbed with this being the approach to the highest point
FM high.jpg

Route was clockwise round the loop
1-9 route.jpg
1-9 gradient.jpg

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
The perfect club ride. Owain left Winchmore hill at 9am, we left Enfield at 9am. Owain and the gang chased us down, Caught us at Theydon Bois we rode together for a few miles, before splitting up, we lost one of our ridders who wanted to go a bit quicker, but we gained one of the faster group who wanted to go a bit slower, worked out really well. with most people ending at the Moon Under Water for a beer coffee and lemonade, and a debrief, This is how all rides should be, We are all on our bikes, 17 Riders out.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1811460967

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
BDA60417-28F9-46B6-97C4-BC00603CD480.jpeg
E8C2720E-3295-4015-A7AC-0C2EFD1E5DE1.jpeg
D8DEBAA5-75F8-4978-A5B4-FFD7ED097DBA.jpeg
028B2B4D-C92E-4807-BCB1-3EB1F605A4DE.jpeg
A3828865-CE60-42B5-B626-0BDEB052E517.jpeg
456C47F3-6483-4CA5-B89D-763B02AADBA7.jpeg
33DC3B31-358B-4FC0-96F1-12A91BAA4254.jpeg
Did a couple of rides yesterday including my first Critical Mass ride through Manchester.
The atmosphere was fantastic with loads of different people, bikes and dogs !
The yellow cargo bike was the loudest sound system in Manchester!!!
It ended at 9pm and I still had a 13 mile ride home in the dark along the Bridgewater canal and Route 55 which I thought might be lairy but turned out to be so much fun. Enjoy the few phone photos I took.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
No exciting rides for me the last few days. After a wonderful bit of cycling in France I'm back on the commute, busy roads, congestion, poor air quality etc etc. I suppose of note my commute home on Thursday night saw the Boardman CX Team reach 11,000 miles, but August saw my lowest mileage month since December 2017 at 485 miles.

Top Bottom