Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Club ride today, I had forgotten where to, turned out to be to the Rural Life Centre Tilford.

Route out via Chobham, Pirbright and Tongham. There was an event taking place at the Rural Life Centre, but we,were not affected, able to enjoy bacon sandwich and coffee.

One of out number had a nice vintage Pinarello (shitfters on the downtubes) but non compact chain set, and largest sprocket at rear was 21, so he had to bale out early.

Return journey via Elster, Shackleford, Puttenham and
Wanborough, Pirbright Bisley, West End and Chobham, and I detoured to Addlestone way Home

60.3 miles @ 16.3 mph, and 2032 feet climbed
By the end of the ride, pleasant and sunny. Not many of us to enjoy it though
https://www.strava.com/activities/1814315192

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
1E80CD58-B0D4-4233-A477-16F339193823.jpeg
D9364931-3E6C-4F85-B182-E4CF3F78949E.jpeg
34F60927-DD73-45BB-8F65-86B0086A8CA2.jpeg
36409920-4173-4D3C-AD86-0B1381E3524E.jpeg

A steady pootle today with my friends Martin, Gaynor and Caryn out to Knaresborough & Boroughbridge. A lovely coffee stop by the river watching all the rowing boats. 51.8 miles in total with an average of 14.7 mph. Great day out.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Second day of vv less legs exposed on a bike and 27.42 miles rather hot miles (Garmin says min temp 82 Fahrenheit) with 1394ft of climbing. North to Ripley and a lengthy queue of virtually stationary traffic tailing back to Killinghall led to cycling down the middle of A61 for a change. Was it a show at Ripley? Was it simply the volume of people using the Nidderdale Greenway crossing? Turned out, fortunately in an unfortunate way for someone, that it was an ambulance blocking the northbound lane just beyond the crossing.

On via Nidd, up to Scotton and Farnham, and up and down to Staveley where a tree lined approach to the village provided a pleasant notable drop in temperature. Then headed up towards Arkendale but decided to take the A6055 as a short cut to Ferrensby, then back towards Farnham but dropping down the one way back lane to rejoin the A6055 to Scriven, then along Lingerfield Lane which was defiantly more upwards in this direction that I thought it was.

Climbing out of Scotton I stopped at the top for a drink and as I set off was greeted by only the fifth cyclist I had seen with whom a sort of working together developed to Ripley once I had caught him up. Took the Nidderdale Greenway to Bilton Lane, the section to the viaduct over the Nidd was a slow moving log jam leading to my slowest ever time by a factor of nearly double. Up a windy Bilton Lane then back homewards along the A59 - the road is being resurfaced but it seems not the section between Bilton Lane and the A61 so looks like a case of dodging depressions and slightly raised manhole covers for some time.

Sorry no photos- accidently smeared Go Pro cover with sunscreen so a very blurred set of videos have just been deleted.

2-9 route.jpg
2-9 gradient.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A nice day out on the tandem today. I was feeling surprisingly fresh after Toft beer festival last night.

We set out at 10.30, the weather already warm. Jo says a Chapel Hill felt easy today, I felt a bit sluggish. Over and down into Barrington we hit 41.4mph, fastest I’ve been down there!

Over the A10 and A505 without stopping, and then the long trudge up to Great Chishill, the highest point in Cambs (about 4ft below sea level). It was around here that we saw our first Red Kite of the day....
1C923364-7A6A-4452-AA13-CCBCF5704246.jpeg

St Swithuns church
8C911626-CB35-4442-80A5-D42C21EA148A.jpeg

51FF2917-D8B1-4132-B121-916042351B2F.jpeg

Then it was on to Saffron Walden, stopping at Bicicletta, it’s gone downhill...
9514EB41-A199-446C-AF9F-410CAD91A14F.jpeg

On to Ashton and Bartlow. This is where we saw the second Red Kite, low and close. It dived into a field, we peeped over the hedge and there were 2! When they flew up they were joined by another!
3060CD5F-70CA-438A-B9AC-0363265037F1.jpeg

D75698B7-5C26-4E21-852B-FED368B69AE6.jpeg

The hedgerows were looking good here
A2479D1E-C1FC-4C71-B8AC-C71CA34B7C58.jpeg

Back through Linton and Fulbourn, calling in at Patrick and Christine to pick up some washers, they fed us too!

We headed home along the river Cam
B2624D2B-E769-47B3-AE68-82CAA74872B9.jpeg

Cows in a line
9702EC86-636D-4DB4-9AE1-13906A8A72E9.jpeg

Swans on the path
4A4C26A6-CC6B-483C-A31A-354C32DD7101.jpeg

And rowers on the river.

Once home Mrs Dave insisted on a short detour to get an metric century

https://www.strava.com/activities/1814856819

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A busy weekend for me, so here's yesterdays ride today.
I might post todays ride later if time permits, but could end up posting todays ride tomorrow.
Hope that's clear? ^_^

Anyhow, a new month, a new season (if you're meteorologically inclined), and off to get the banker ride in for the Half Century Challenge.

I had half an idea where I was going, but no firm plan. It came as no surprise to head out up the Coal Road and find myself on the A58, before branching off to Shadwell and the climb up to Slaid Hill lights.
Through them heading for the countryside again and aware of an engine revving behind me, shortly followed by a MGIF overtake and as we approached the junction started to turn left across me as I was heading straight on. He slammed on mid turn, as did I. :dry:
Anyhow, disaster avoided (again), through the dip and onto Tarn Lane and along to Scarcroft via Ling lane and the long descent down the A58 through Bardsey to Collingham, where in a fit of sheer optimism I decided to climb the Col de Jewitt Lane.
The first section went really well, although I was caught by a car just at the narrow bit they waited until it was wide enough again to get through safely, but just as it ramped up again a Freelander towing a horsebox was coming down the hill, meaning me and the car had to stop. Despite the Freelander being just two car lengths beyond a passing place the driver simply couldn't reverse into it, so I dropped 200yds back down the hill to allow the car to also reverse and let them through :rolleyes:
Anyway, the loss of altitude did at least give me a breather! ^_^
On up the hill and straight on through the rolling countryside until I reached Thorner Lane where it was left and on through the dip and down to Bramham.
Looped round the outside of the village and onto Toulston Lane, the took the right over the A659 and then the bridge over the busy A64, before dropping down into Stutton, where I stayed on the main road through the village before crossing the beck and climbed up the hill to Raw Lane where I headed for Ulleskelf.
However, on a whim I took to dead end to Kirkby Wharfe, which I've cycled past many times, but never cycled down.
There's not a lot there but it was a nice enough diversion, but I took a pic of the bike near the Church of St John the Baptist:
IMG_20180901_101923075_HDR - Copy.jpg

Back down to Raw Lane and on to Ulleskelf and over the railway line and straight on to Church Fenton, past Leeds East Airport where filming of Queen Victoria looks to be underway again.
Through the village and back over the railway line, then the long straight to Barkston Ash, the right on London Road and Saxton Lane into Saxton, taking Cold Hill Lane out past the cricket club and stopping at Linda's Bench for sustenance and more pics:
IMG_20180901_105809613_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180901_110138280_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180901_110629394_BURST000_COVER.jpg

A couple of Seacroft Wheelers passed with a cheery hello and I was soon off after them, dropping down onto Copley lane up to Lotherton Gates and then into Aberford.
Cattle Lane took me from there to Barwick and I stayed on the Leeds Road through Scholes and down the hill, crossing Cock Beck for a final time and climbing back up the other side, before taking local roads up to home.

38.06 miles (61.25km) in 2h 52m at an average of 13.2 mph with 1,857ft climbed and an average temperature of 17.6°C

Good to get the Half Century ride in the bag nice and early, and nice to see temperatures climbing up again after a couple of chillier rides recently.
There was another swirling breeze about, but other than that it was glorious out there. Plenty of cyclists out too.

And to end, the map:
01092018.JPG

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
This was the ride that has had me champing at the bit ever since we booked this holiday … my main target ride for 2018. I had been flicking through old Tour de France official programmes looking for any TdF routes that have passed near Luttenbach pres Munster, where we are staying, and up came stage 10 of the 2014 edition, which passed right by the gite we are in. The 773 metres of height gain over 9.3km (approx. 5.8 miles) at an average gradient of 8.2% made it a Cat 1 climb in 2014. More to the point it made it the biggest challenge I have taken on to date …and only my third Cat 1 climb and my highest col, at 1,163m.
260.JPG

We drove up to the col the night before as a bit of a reccie. The first kilometre, up past the gite, is over 9% average, and looked more like something over 10% for the first few hundred metres. As I would be starting part of the way up the climb, that was going to be my welcome home! On Google Maps there is a confusing mass of little roads through the woods that made route planning a little foreboding, but after a drive-through, it was quite clear that all I had to do was to stay on the one road all the way and it would take me over the col and back down to the main road at Sondernach. From there it is a straightforward, gentle pootle down the valley to Luttenbach, then across a level crossing and back up to the gite on the 10% bit. .... cue "Flatnav":
261 Map of Petit Ballon ride.JPG

On the day, I made an early start, and it was a chilly one. After a nice initial view of Luttenbach down below me, it was woodland all the way for almost 4 miles ….. not my favourite type of climb. This was different, though, as it was my big challenge of 2018. After the initial shock of starting a ride with a steepish climb right from the off, and reaching straight for the granny ring, I soon got my breathing into a steady rhythm and started to feel confident. I made my first stop at a big, wide hairpin about 1.3 miles into the climb and took the opportunity for a stretch and a drink.
243.JPG

Just as I was re-mounting, I spotted a gorgeous, young, orangey-brown deer staring at me from the edge of the road ahead. Before I could reach for the camera it and a friend were off bounding across the road and disappeared up into the forest. Soon after that I was overtaken by a couple of cheery mountain bikers, who inched away around a bend and over the horizon, chatting loudly. I figured there would be no more wildlife to be seen after that. I stopped for a rest roughly every 1.5 miles, and took encouragement from the cycle-specific signage announcing how many Km still to go, and the average gradient of the next kilometre.

246.JPG
As I emerged from the forest at a clearing with a field full of donkeys, I knew I had arrived at the Ferme Auberge du Ried, and that there wasn’t too much more grinding to go. Soon after that, I got into a chat with an overnight camper at a viewpoint with fantastic views along the edge of the Vosges and across the flatlands of the Rhine Valley and into the mountains of the Black Forest in Germany. Then, after passing a few more “Allez Contador” and “Voeckler” scribblings still visible on the road surface from four years ago,
248 Allez Contador.JPG

it was onwards up to the col itself …. with a disappointingly small signpost, given all the effort.

253.JPG

... but great views..
252.JPG

By now it was getting chilly, as it was more exposed and there was a bit of a breeze, so I was glad of my base layer. I dropped down into Sondernach via the longest descent I have ever done. Great payback for all the effort. I was passed by dozens of Swiss and German motorcyclists on the way down. It is always a good sign when you see them. Always means there’s some serious scenery to be had. I got off the main road as quickly as I could, and easily recognised my turn for home.
Sondernach:
257 Sondernach.JPG
The steep bit in Luttenbach wasn’t half as hard as I’d anticipated, and I got back to the gite about 3 hours after leaving … and with only 17.7 miles covered. Now that’s a slow ride. But it was the thought of being able to do this sort of ride that got me into cycling in the first place, and it was great to be able to keep stopping every time there was a spectacular view. Absolutely loved it. Living the dream.
Donger

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
This was the ride that has had me champing at the bit ever since we booked this holiday … my main target ride for 2018. I had been flicking through old Tour de France official programmes looking for any TdF routes that have passed near Luttenbach pres Munster, where we are staying, and up came stage 10 of the 2014 edition, which passed right by the gite we are in. The 773 metres of height gain over 9.3km (approx. 5.8 miles) at an average gradient of 8.2% made it a Cat 1 climb in 2014. More to the point it made it the biggest challenge I have taken on to date …and only my third Cat 1 climb and my highest col, at 1,163m.
View attachment 428207
We drove up to the col the night before as a bit of a reccie. The first kilometre, up past the gite, is over 9% average, and looked more like something over 10% for the first few hundred metres. As I would be starting part of the way up the climb, that was going to be my welcome home! On Google Maps there is a confusing mass of little roads through the woods that made route planning a little foreboding, but after a drive-through, it was quite clear that all I had to do was to stay on the one road all the way and it would take me over the col and back down to the main road at Sondernach. From there it is a straightforward, gentle pootle down the valley to Luttenbach, then across a level crossing and back up to the gite on the 10% bit. .... cue "Flatnav":
View attachment 428208
On the day, I made an early start, and it was a chilly one. After a nice initial view of Luttenbach down below me, it was woodland all the way for almost 4 miles ….. not my favourite type of climb. This was different, though, as it was my big challenge of 2018. After the initial shock of starting a ride with a steepish climb right from the off, and reaching straight for the granny ring, I soon got my breathing into a steady rhythm and started to feel confident. I made my first stop at a big, wide hairpin about 1.3 miles into the climb and took the opportunity for a stretch and a drink.
View attachment 428199
Just as I was re-mounting, I spotted a gorgeous, young, orangey-brown deer staring at me from the edge of the road ahead. Before I could reach for the camera it and a friend were off bounding across the road and disappeared up into the forest. Soon after that I was overtaken by a couple of cheery mountain bikers, who inched away around a bend and over the horizon, chatting loudly. I figured there would be no more wildlife to be seen after that. I stopped for a rest roughly every 1.5 miles, and took encouragement from the cycle-specific signage announcing how many Km still to go, and the average gradient of the next kilometre.

View attachment 428202 As I emerged from the forest at a clearing with a field full of donkeys, I knew I had arrived at the Ferme Auberge du Ried, and that there wasn’t too much more grinding to go. Soon after that, I got into a chat with an overnight camper at a viewpoint with fantastic views along the edge of the Vosges and across the flatlands of the Rhine Valley and into the mountains of the Black Forest in Germany. Then, after passing a few more “Allez Contador” and “Voeckler” scribblings still visible on the road surface from four years ago,
View attachment 428203
it was onwards up to the col itself …. with a disappointingly small signpost, given all the effort.

View attachment 428205
... but great views..
View attachment 428204
By now it was getting chilly, as it was more exposed and there was a bit of a breeze, so I was glad of my base layer. I dropped down into Sondernach via the longest descent I have ever done. Great payback for all the effort. I was passed by dozens of Swiss and German motorcyclists on the way down. It is always a good sign when you see them. Always means there’s some serious scenery to be had. I got off the main road as quickly as I could, and easily recognised my turn for home.
Sondernach:
View attachment 428206 The steep bit in Luttenbach wasn’t half as hard as I’d anticipated, and I got back to the gite about 3 hours after leaving … and with only 17.7 miles covered. Now that’s a slow ride. But it was the thought of being able to do this sort of ride that got me into cycling in the first place, and it was great to be able to keep stopping every time there was a spectacular view. Absolutely loved it. Living the dream.
Donger

Always enjoy reading about your hill climbing exploits, and I recently enjoyed the lumpy bits in the Dordogne, also on the TdF route, but 2017's. Did you get the bugs in the woodland climbs? They drove me mad, and seemed to be able to keep up with me until about 12mph which was a no starter going up hill...

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Forgot to add my first ride of the day on the 31st August,55 miles on the Spa Tourer to Manchester Airport and back via trails and canal towpath. Weather was fantastic and I managed to stay pretty much off road until I got to the airport. The rout home headed towards Ashley near Tatton Park and along the now much quieter Chester road not the bypass has been built. Once over the new bypass I headed towards Lyme and then on to the Trans Pennine Trail (route 62) towards Timperley and then back on the Bridgewater Way along the canal where I rejoined route 55 at Monton and then on to the guided busway to Astley
DSCN2257.JPG
DSCN2279.JPG
DSCN2288.JPG
DSCN2268.JPG
DSCN2287.JPG

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Always enjoy reading about your hill climbing exploits, and I recently enjoyed the lumpy bits in the Dordogne, also on the TdF route, but 2017's. Did you get the bugs in the woodland climbs? They drove me mad, and seemed to be able to keep up with me until about 12mph which was a no starter going up hill...
Thanks, but no. Not an insect to be seen. I did think I was going to suffer when I got up level with some meadows full of horses, cows and donkeys, but it never happened. Downhill you can always lose the little buggers, but if horse flies go for you on a slow climb it can be pure misery. I've been lucky this time. I fancy a couple of gentler rides through the vineyards in the next couple of days, but I feel I have another big climb left in me yet. Living the dream.

TigerT

Veteran
All week I'd been looking forward to this weekends ride.... And then it started to rain on Friday and has got a lot cooler. Yesterday, was just stormy all day, but today was supposed to be dry...... It wasn't

I woke up early and got up, made my coffee and breakfast all before looking out of the window. When I did it was throwing it down with rain . I took my breakfast back to bed to contemplate what to do instead of a ride. I started to get a bit grumpy so checked the weather forecast and it said the rain was fairly localised and the rest of the day would just be cloudy and overcast.

I decided to go out anyway - I have waterproofs and long sleeves and leggings and the winter is going to be a lot colder and greyer than today. And anyway, it’s Sunday and Sundays are for cycling.

So after most of the morning procrastinating I finally set out at 11:30am. It was already too late to do my planned ride (a full loop of Lake Zürich). But I could still do most of it - just needed to shortcut across the lake at Rapperswil. I headed into Zürich city and out the other side towards Rapperswil this time taking Cycle Route 66 - This is completely new to me. Instead of taking the busy coast road, it takes you up the hill and along through the vineyards on the banks of the lake, zig zagging over and under the railway. It’s quite steep in places, but towards Rapperswil the views over the lake, even on a dull day, are quite beautiful!

Despite reverting to long sleeves and leggings I was quite cold so went and warmed up with Coffee and Cake ☕️ (That's what cycling is all about really). Then decided I‘d had enough of hills so headed across the bridge to Pfaffikon and down the other side of the lake. There were strong headwinds all the way back into Zürich which at times made me consider getting the train. Once back in Zürich I followed my usual way home from work then just before home headed out for a 20km loop around Dallikon to get over the 100kms.

101kms. September Metric 100 completed. One of those rides that I'm glad I did it but also glad it’s over!

Here are a couple of photos and the map.
s5kHiMhiSJGHoMPkP69mwQ.jpg

Heading through the vineyards
wdmrMWsLSrCSlRu9mGa4oA.jpg

The bike enjoyed the view as well.
fullsizeoutput_18ee.jpeg

And the map.

Today’s Ride I shall entitle “Support Act”...

So today was the day that 5/6 of the self proclaimed “Saga CC” boys got the band back together and united to carry out general domestique duties/ moral support to Will and Tim who were taking part in the charity ride Rapha Manchester to London (M2L) in aid of Autism Awareness.

We would have had a full house but sadly Martin had an “off” yesterday on a ride and was knocked about quite bad so get well soon mate!

The plans we had made had mainly gone to sh*t, mainly due to timing issues. The initial plan was to ride from Willington near Derby all the way down to Milton Keynes with a view to meeting up at around 10:30.

It became quickly evident that the ride had taken its toll in the early stages due to the demands of crossing the hilly Peak District and it was gone 11am before they finally got to meet us at Willington. They were very smart and were taking it very steady indeed, having done over 4,500ft of climbing by the time they had met us.

Rob, Gaz and I took turns doing a bit on the front just acting as a general windbreaker (not that there was much) but their pace was difficult to match as our legs were much much fresher than theirs and any incline was done very steadily indeed by them, and they lagged behind at times.

Passing through Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and Heather (3 miles from home) I met Mrs D who was in support car duties.... basically I’d left my phone at home and she very kindly brought it to me which was good because my train e-tickets were on it! D’oh!

It was rolling familiar lanes (for me anyway) into Market Bosworth where they had a feed stop. We nipped into a local co-op and stocked up there with a few bits.

It was pushing 1pm by now and the pace steady, so Rob, Gaz and I decided we would stop at Northampton instead of Milton Keynes because we just would not have made our train for the required time.

We all regrouped and carried on for the next 40 miles or so through the lovely rolling roads of Leicestershire and into Northamptonshire in the glorious sunshine. Gaz got stung by a wasp and had a bit of verbal with some woman driving a BMW style “Chelsea Tractor” who was obviously displeased by the fact she had to wait behind us “non road tax paying” cyclists.....

In the meantime Martin (convalescing at home after his fall) knocked us a route up to split off to Northampton station and Rob quickly put it in his Garmin. More rolling roads followed and before long the time had come to peel off from Will and Tim and so we said our goodbyes, wished them luck for the rest of the journey and set off on our way.

It wasn’t a great start, we took three wrong turns in the first mile and then the route took us down the Brampton Valley Way, which on a road bike was just torture! I reckon I have white finger now! Once off that difficult section we then negotiated our way through a rough looking council estate and some shifty expressions by the locals before descending upon Northampton station.

Did a bit of jiggery pokery with our tickets, had a drink and got the train back to Nuneaton where I said goodbye to Gaz and Rob (they were getting off at Tamworth to change for Burton)

It had cooled somewhat by now as I made my 20 mile journey back home.

Great day, great ride, great effort by all but especially Will and Tim who, at the time of writing this, are still on their way to the smoke.

Anyway, that’s enough sh*te from me.

101.5 in 6:12.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1815110019
https://www.relive.cc/view/1815110019
B743DDF0-7325-4664-AD1C-66DA63BC68F7.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Very dull today with intermittent drizzle and a south westerly wind. I headed west along the south bank of the Tweed as it has more shelter from the wind. Between Walkerburn and Innerleithen I was buzzed by a black hawk helicopter, closely followed by its wingman - or should that be rotorman? - and then spotted a third in the distance, so stopped to take a photo. As usual the phone decided to take its time switching to camera, so the helicopter had nearly gone by the time I took this. It is the small black smudge above the sheep but just below the horizon.

IMG_20180902_144804[1].jpg

I carried on with some Wagner for an earworm. I had intended turning south over the Paddy Slacks but the road was closed due to some bloody cyclists having a closed road sportive so instead turned north on the B709. It was flower show day in Innerleithen and outside the hall a brass band was providing the entertainment.

IMG_20180902_145829[1].jpg

Wagner was swiftly ousted and replaced as earworn by the Floral Dance.
Heading north I realised I had picked up a stonking tailwind, not least because I did the entire climb in the big ring and then the long gradual descent by the Dewar burn at 35mph without needing to pedal. I'd made such good progress I decided to carry on further north over the Granites, a climb I've never done from the south. Just after the summit there are fine views of Edinburgh, the Forth and the Lomond Hills in Fife.

IMG_20180902_154331[1].jpg

I've just realised that in this photo Celine's Seat is obscuring the view of Arthur's Seat.
The worst thing about including the Granites in the loop is an unavoidable three miles or so on the A7, a road normally best avoided. At Heriot there is an underpass beneath the railway to access the quiet road down the west side of the river. As I came out of the underpass I heard an approaching train, so got ready for a photo opportunity but the camera hadn't even started up before it was out of sight.
Today's map -

upload_2018-9-2_22-7-34.png

53.3 miles at 15.6mph 3678 feet ascent.

Top Bottom