Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
1st of the month so time for an Imperial ton for the monthly challenge . Out the door at 6.35 for a steady ride to meeting point at Market Bosworth . Very misty and arms were soon covered with moisture a bit chilly but not to bad . 13 miles later I'm at the meeting point to find @Supersuperleeds waiting soon @Lilliburlero rolled in company of his friend Paul who isn't a ccer but don't hold it against him . @Supersuperleeds had planned a route around the back of Coventry to grad some veloviewer squares. Soon off over The A5 and on to Nuneaton a shout from @Lilliburlero had us all stopping he had a mechanical . His rear gear cable had snapped and he'd only got top gear I thought he was done for . Paul had some cable clamps as another rider had suffered a similar fate on another ride so Paul had stocked up . I shoved the derrailuer over and put it in a loweish gear and Paul clamped the cable and @Lilliburlero decided to give it a go with only 75 miles to go :surrender:.Around the back of Coventry and a shout from @Lilliburlero gets us stopped again hed just struggled up a climb and we discovered the clamp had slipped and he was in a high gear again . Another adjustment and he's now in a lower gear than before so he was spinning from here . Quite amusing on the downhills and flats .Through the village of Meridian the historic centre of England . At one point we passed I presume a Dad and 2 sons about 11 and 13 who were cracking along down the next descent I was taking it easy so not to drop @Lilliburlero who was spinning away the 3 of them past us and I drafted the hell out of them I not proud I will draft anyone . They soon turned off unfortunately:sad:. Back over the A5 at Dordon and a draggy climb quick shop stop for a refuel . Then on the the Cafe stop at Fradley Junction which by this time we all had over 90 miles in a bit of bad planning if you ask me . Relaxed stop and were back on the road ,Paul turned off at Caton to head home to complete his ton which he said earlier in the year he wouldnt do again :laugh:. I think we are a bad influence . @Lilliburlero turned for home a few mile later to complete a ton of which 70 plus miles in 1 gear :notworthy:. That left me and @Supersuperleeds to head towards mine . @Supersuperleeds route left me at 120 miles just short of 200km so had to extended the route home obviously:tongue: . @Supersuperleeds left me with 5 miles to go a few extra loops and finally home with 125 miles in the bag 40 veloviewer squares . @Supersuperleeds beat me on distance again doing 127 miles . Great ride in what turned out to be lovely conditions :sun: .Kudus to @Lilliburlero for sticking with it and getting round I think Id have bailed . But luckily @Supersuperleeds had plotted a route with no silly climbs in just gentle drags

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
1st of the month so time for an Imperial ton for the monthly challenge . Out the door at 6.35 for a steady ride to meeting point at Market Bosworth . Very misty and arms were soon covered with moisture a bit chilly but not to bad . 13 miles later I'm at the meeting point to find @Supersuperleeds waiting soon @Lilliburlero rolled in company of his friend Paul who isn't a ccer but don't hold it against him . @Supersuperleeds had planned a route around the back of Coventry to grad some veloviewer squares. Soon off over The A5 and on to Nuneaton a shout from @Lilliburlero had us all stopping he had a mechanical . His rear gear cable had snapped and he'd only got top gear I thought he was done for . Paul had some cable clamps as another rider had suffered a similar fate on another ride so Paul had stocked up . I shoved the derrailuer over and put it in a loweish gear and Paul clamped the cable and @Lilliburlero decided to give it a go with only 75 miles to go :surrender:.Around the back of Coventry and a shout from @Lilliburlero gets us stopped again hed just struggled up a climb and we discovered the clamp had slipped and he was in a high gear again . Another adjustment and he's now in a lower gear than before so he was spinning from here . Quite amusing on the downhills and flats .Through the village of Meridian the historic centre of England . At one point we passed I presume a Dad and 2 sons about 11 and 13 who were cracking along down the next descent I was taking it easy so not to drop @Lilliburlero who was spinning away the 3 of them past us and I drafted the hell out of them I not proud I will draft anyone . They soon turned off unfortunately:sad:. Back over the A5 at Dordon and a draggy climb quick shop stop for a refuel . Then on the the Cafe stop at Fradley Junction which by this time we all had over 90 miles in a bit of bad planning if you ask me . Relaxed stop and were back on the road ,Paul turned off at Caton to head home to complete his ton which he said earlier in the year he wouldnt do again :laugh:. I think we are a bad influence . @Lilliburlero turned for home a few mile later to complete a ton of which 70 plus miles in 1 gear :notworthy:. That left me and @Supersuperleeds to head towards mine . @Supersuperleeds route left me at 120 miles just short of 200km so had to extended the route home obviously:tongue: . @Supersuperleeds left me with 5 miles to go a few extra loops and finally home with 125 miles in the bag 40 veloviewer squares . @Supersuperleeds beat me on distance again doing 127 miles . Great ride in what turned out to be lovely conditions :sun: .Kudus to @Lilliburlero for sticking with it and getting round I think Id have bailed . But luckily @Supersuperleeds had plotted a route with no silly climbs in just gentle drags

Kudos to you all. :notworthy:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger

Great write up buddy :thumbsup: . Just one of those days and one to remember :laugh:

Kudos to you all. :notworthy:

They`re great guys @welsh dragon , I would`nt ride with them if they wernt :okay:. I knew they`d get me round and cant thank them enough :smile:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Few more from the Critical Mass ride last night in Manchester
DSCN2319.JPG
DSCN2301.JPG
DSCN2305.JPG
DSCN2309.JPG
DSCN2313.JPG
DSCN2318.JPG

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today was a combined motorsport & cycling day. It was the Aston Martin Owners Club raceday at Snetterton and the timetable showed a long lunch break and the first race after the break only had 10 enteries for a 45 minute race giving plenty of time for a ride so a route was loaded into the Garmin and the Planet X was loaded into the car and off I went.

At the end of the first race I left Snetterton, past the 96th Bomb Group memorial
96th Bomb Group Memorial, Snetterton.jpg

and then headed south down to East Harling before cutting back east into Kenninghall and then south again through the villages of North & South Lopham (which I'd ridden through in the opposite direction earlier in the month).

Crossing over the A1066 I continued southbound to Redgrave, then east through Magpie Green before starting the returrn run through Roydon, Bressingham, Fersfield, back to Kenninghall and on to Quiddenham, Eccles and Hargham before a quick under and over the A11 brought me back to Snetterton Circuit just in time for the 3rd race of the day
Snetterton Trackside.jpg
Just over 31.5 miles for August's 50k ride in some lovely warm and sunny weather, despite a bit of a breeze in the wide open Norfolk & Suffolk countryside.
Screenshot_2018-09-01 Three round towers Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2018-09-01 Three round towers Ride Strava(1).png

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
17 miles for me today. Happy with that to start September. Outward journey was dark and very humid and the homeward journey was very dark and wet. It poured down all the way back and I was quite cold, and I got stung by a nettle sticking out of the hedge. Quite ouchy.

Attachments

• 20180902_102020.jpg
    20180902_102020.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20180902_111614.jpg
    20180902_111614.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20180902_110309.jpg
    20180902_110309.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20180902_110320.jpg
    20180902_110320.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 30

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Thursday’s ride. On holiday and having trouble with l'internet. No pictures possible, it seems, but at least I'm back online .... for the moment.

Last year, when we went over to Europe by le Tunnel, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at Cheriton near Folkestone the night before, and I did a great little ride up the hill and along the cliff top above the Channel Tunnel rail yards and all the way to Dover and back via the Battle of Britain Memorial at Capel le Ferne. Great views over to France and lots of interesting and different stuff to see. I enjoyed it so much that we stopped off again at the same hotel this year, and I went for a ride in the opposite direction. It is really easy to get down to the coast at Sandgate, because all you have to do is take the first right turn from the hotel and Horn Street takes you all the way there.

This time I did a great little 25.5 miler, with probably 15 miles of it off road. At Sandgate, I hung a left and a right and followed the promenade along the beach until I got to Hythe. There, after a short stretch of main road, I hung a left off the one way gyratory at the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway station and followed the course of the Royal Military Canal for a couple of miles to West Hythe. It is a gravelly, and only occasionally slightly muddy cycle/foot path through woods with hills to the right and occasional glimpses of the canal to the other. There were very few people about and it was a lovely way to start a ride.

At West Hythe, everything changed, as I hit a bit of an evening rat run through the edge of Romney Marsh past Botolph Bridge and back to the coast at Dymchurch. Even at Dymchurch, the main road along the sea wall was busy and a little alarming in the evening rush hour, so I was relieved to eventually find a gentle ramp up onto the top of the sea wall. From there, it was a great little ride on mostly smooth concrete along the side of a shingle beach all the way past St Mary’s Bay to Littlestone on Sea, passing Martello towers, holiday parks and golf courses on the way. There were great views across the bay towards Dungeness, but I didn’t quite have enough time to make it there and back before dark, so I turned tail at Littlestone, after watching a flock of starlings coming in to roost. Once back at Dymchurch I left the sea wall, got back on the A road and hammered it (for me anyway) back to The Fountain Inn at Sandgate, where I climbed back up Horn Street to the hotel in Cheriton. Finished with my lights very much needed, but little traffic around to bother me. Loved it.

The next morning Mrs D and I drove down to Dungeness in the car, and really liked the place. Quite an other-worldly place, with scattered shacks and vast expanses of shingle …. and a pair of lighthouses, a couple of pubs and, of course a massive great nuclear power station. Loads of cyclists arrived in groups, and on the Dungeness Estate the speed limit is 20mph, so cycling seemed safe. I definitely want to come back that way on a bike some day …. I’ll have to arrive at the hotel earlier to allow enough time to make it there and back.

Hope to be able to post some holiday rides ... with pictures .... soon. Bye for now,
Donger.

Attachments

• 233 Seafront at Sandgate.JPG
    233 Seafront at Sandgate.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 36

colly

Re member eR
Up and out nowhere near as early as I had planned. No reason apart from a slow breakfast and me sodding about with this and that. Like you do.

So anyway just before 8am I set off. No plan at all, thought I would just make it up as I went along, and I did. I found myself going west and then north up the Harrogate Road and I intended using the route round the back of Eccup Reservoir but as I approached the lights at Alwoodley Gates they turned red so it was a quick left and I instead went along Alwoodly Lane, past the back of Golden Acre Park and down to the Pool / Harewood Road via the steep Black Hill Road. A left towards pool and a plan was forming.
Over the Wharfe at Pool and a turn towards Farnley. I decided to make it more than a nice little jaunt and so hills were called for . I headed up into Leathley and to Stainburn on the back lanes to find my way to Almscliffe Crag.
I was on fixed and I knew the lanes had some sharp inclines and as expected they proved hard work.
Just this side of Stainburn I stopped to get a pic of Almscliffe Crag in the distance:

20180902_084628.jpg

and the view the other way:

20180902_085644.jpg

20180902_085737.jpg

Including a pic for the 'My bike in front of a sign for Stainburn' thread:

20180902_085744.jpg

Even though you can't see the Stain.

Past the Crag and through North Rigton it was down and across the Otley / Harrogate
road along Dunkeswick Lane to the Leeds /Harrogate road and a left to Kirkby Overblow, Clap Gate and Sicklinghall and eventually into Wetherby.
I stopped for a drink and to take a couple of snaps of the side of Wetherby missed by passers through.

The Wharfe winds around the rear of the town centre:
20180902_095212.jpg
and what appear like tiny cottages from the road: have a glorious view out the back:

20180902_095714.jpg

20180520_111446.jpg

Out of Wetherby on the A58 and the usual left in Collingham up Jewitt Lane. I made it to the top sitting down all the way even though I was on fixed so things must be looking up.
From there it was Thorner, Bramley Grange Red Hall and home.
The only thing to spoil an other wise lovely few hours out on the bike was a near miss 200m from home. :sad: Straight out into me while I was on a roundabout. No contact but it was close.
Of course it was clearly my fault for like, you know, just actually being alive, but I'm cool, I understand, cretins have to be allowed out sometimes I guess.

All in all 38 miles with 2450ft of up. Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/27321145

bruce1530

Guru
2 trains, 1 bridge and a ferry.

I wanted to try some unfamiliar roads today, so 5k to the station, and got on a train.

Got off at Johnstone, about 15 miles southwest of Glasgow, and followed familiar tracks towards Linwood, where I took some roads I’d not been on before. Out to Houston (Scotland, not Texas), then headed generally towards Glasgow airport. Crossed under the M8, turned away from the airport, and then crossed the motorway 2 more times to take me through Bishopton towards Erskine. One wrong turning, doubled back, then found the well-hidden entrance to the Erskine Bridge cycle path.

At one time, there was a foot/cyclepath on both sides, but the East one is closed. I took the west one - busy traffic on the other side of the barrier, but apart from me and one runner, the path was deserted.

IMG_2845.JPG

Looking West from the middle of the bridge. Clyde below, village of Bowling just ahead, with Dumbarton in the distance.

Once over the bridge, I joined the Forth & Clyde Canal path - part of the section of NCN7 that runs from Glasgow to Loch Lomond, and headed towards Glasgow.

IMG_2848.JPG

The “Drop Lock” at Dalmuir, which lets canal boats pass under the main road.

Followed the canal onwards to Clydebank shopping centre, then headed towards the Clyde.

At Yoker, I arrived at the ferry terminal. Gate open, but desolate - no signs of life!

IMG_2850.JPG

A few minutes later, the little boat on the other side of the river headed in my direction

IMG_2851.JPG

Two pounds for a passenger ticket

IMG_2852.JPG
IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2855.JPG

Now I’m in Renfrew. A quick pitstop for something to eat, and then towards Inchinnan and round the back of the airport.

Around Glasgow Airport, then into Paisley, where I caught a train home.

59km in total, 27 new Veloviewer tiles, and despite the unpromising weather, it stayed dry.

upload_2018-9-2_14-17-51.png

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My ride today was a short urban circuit to have a play on Sunderland's new bridge over the Wear.

There was the expected mish-mash of crossings to reach the bridge itself, which has two wide paths both sides of the dual carriageway road.

No markings on the paths, but markings are widely ignored anyway by pedestrians and cyclists.

What surprised me is there are no barriers, not even between the two road carriageways, just low kerbs.

It would be possible to cross from one side to the other on foot or by bike, not that it would be safe to do so.

The absence of barriers gives the impression of wide open spaces.

IMG_0034.JPG

For those that know Sunderland, the bridge is between the existing Queen Alexandra Bridge and the A19 Hylton crossing, which is only ridable if you fancy humping your bike up and down flights of steps.

Here's a view out to sea, the Queen Alexandra Bridge is just about visible on the horizon, although it's closer than it looks.

IMG_0036.JPG

And looking the other way, inland.

IMG_0037.JPG

Given the proximity of the other bridge, I'm not certain the new one will be a lot of use for rides, especially as there is quite a climb leaving to the south.

Supposedly there is a new road to be built on the south side which might provide a faster route into the city centre/port.

Having reached the north side, I decided to have a light lunch at a nearby Greggs on a retail park.

The car park was strangled with traffic and a motorist ticked me off for not riding fast enough.

It was also surprisingly hot and humid, so it was back over the new bridge, up the bank on the other side, and home, dodging broken glass and dog mess on the paths as I went.

The bridge was worth a look, but cycling in this part of Sunderland hasn't got much else to recommend it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom