Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Another chilly commute at 0530hrs this morning, nice and quiet though which is always nice.

In other news, SWMBO has commandeered my Brompton, for commuting duties:ohmy: Since mini-Ms CB is now at Secondary school 1 miles away instead of 5 miles away up a hill, SWMBO insisted on taking the bike. Good for you girl:okay:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We rolled out from my brothers house in Keyworth and headed into West Bridgford for the start of the Tour of Britain. We had a mooch around the team busses...
3675FE80-D368-47EB-BC13-761AA68FE5AB.jpeg

9CAE7CF0-9839-436C-A8C4-D990D2140D52.jpeg

2CEEEEE1-BE75-4D78-ABA8-4397B5EFFB5E.jpeg

8C087716-023F-4E0A-8848-507C3F61B35C.jpeg

9B802185-E85F-4F65-9D55-0572A543AE15.jpeg

Then Mrs Dave went stalking....
7DF037E4-48CC-4A32-B73A-A9BAD3B6C62A.jpeg

Mr D is very laid back, almost comatose!
Then we headed back to Keyworth to the KoM point. We rolled past the Cyclechat posse, once we’d foiund our vantage point we wandered back to say hello to @Supersuperleeds @tallliman @Lilliburlero @Chris Doyle and @13 rider , they were right by the line, we had a view down the hill and round the bend.
Eventually the peloton stormed through, Stannard full gas at the front

09C44E0E-A750-4743-B82B-0D9BB8B2133B.jpeg

4DD2B9EC-CBCA-49BA-BAFB-2AF8E65EBEAF.jpeg

B112F079-445B-4EBB-8B90-0DCB9E8FCA6D.jpeg

521E1604-6183-46E9-8682-1DB0B473F3AF.jpeg

^^^ there were a few pain faces!

Last time we saw a pro race was the Tour de Yorkshire, that was fractured into half a dozen sections, but today the race was through in a flash!

Just as they went the rain started, we went to East Leake to Love & Piste ski shop for tea and cake. They’d had a busy day.

We returned back home via Bunny.

33.5 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/1827265300

We rolled out from my brothers house in Keyworth and headed into West Bridgford for the start of the Tour of Britain. We had a mooch around the team busses...
View attachment 429050
View attachment 429051
View attachment 429052
View attachment 429053
View attachment 429054
Then Mrs Dave went stalking....
View attachment 429055
Mr D is very laid back, almost comatose!
Then we headed back to Keyworth to the KoM point. We rolled past the Cyclechat posse, once we’d foiund our vantage point we wandered back to say hello to @Supersuperleeds @tallliman @Lilliburlero @Chris Doyle and @13 rider , they were right by the line, we had a view down the hill and round the bend.
Eventually the peloton stormed through, Stannard full gas at the front

View attachment 429060
View attachment 429061
View attachment 429062
View attachment 429056
^^^ there were a few pain faces!

Last time we saw a pro race was the Tour de Yorkshire, that was fractured into half a dozen sections, but today the race was through in a flash!

Just as they went the rain started, we went to East Leake to Love & Piste ski shop for tea and cake. They’d had a busy day.

We returned back home via Bunny.

33.5 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/1827265300

Nice to meet you @Dave 123 and Mrs Dave, glad you enjoyed it!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yesterday's ride

I met Andy G in Rhayader. We headed straight out onto a climb. The road to Llanidloes isn't the easiest but we settled down to working away. The plan was to explore a new road through Hafren Forest. It would be about 5 miles longer but shouldn't be so tough on the climbing. It was indeed a lovely ride through to emerge at Staylittle. Now we had the Dylife mountain road to climb and today the wind wasn't helping at all. We regrouped at the top to admire one of the best panoramas I know of. The descent here could be very fast indeed but brakes went on so that the view could be taken in as we dropped. Just a bit more along the valley brought us to Machynlleth and our planned cafe stop. No sign of @welsh dragon tho'.

Refreshed we took the big road with a hindering wind to Talybont where we could turn away from traffic to climb the Nant-Y-Moch. This is a lovely climb which takes us via wooded hillsides with a stream in the valley out onto open moors where the views back to the sea are memorable. The climb tops out for a ride around a very empty looking reservoir. Across the dam came a bit of a hill as we upped and downed to arrive at Devil's Bridge and our afternoon tea stop.

Cakes devoured we climbed again up and over to Cwmystwyth and the run along the river. Again we climbed this time up onto the high moor between the Welsh mountains. We turned for the Elan valley to ride over to the reservoirs. Again the had views through the woodland to each of the rather empty looking reservoirs. It wasn't long before we could drop away from the heights to return to Rhayader. It had been a long day out. Superb scenery with Red Kite, Buzzard, Kestrel, Raven, Linnet and a fox which ran out in front of us as we rounded the top reservoir of the Elan valley complex. 9560 feet of climbing made it a hilly one for sure.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Yesterday's ride

I met Andy G in Rhayader. We headed straight out onto a climb. The road to Llanidloes isn't the easiest but we settled down to working away. The plan was to explore a new road through Hafren Forest. It would be about 5 miles longer but shouldn't be so tough on the climbing. It was indeed a lovely ride through to emerge at Staylittle. Now we had the Dylife mountain road to climb and today the wind wasn't helping at all. We regrouped at the top to admire one of the best panoramas I know of. The descent here could be very fast indeed but brakes went on so that the view could be taken in as we dropped. Just a bit more along the valley brought us to Machynlleth and our planned cafe stop. No sign of @welsh dragon tho'.

Refreshed we took the big road with a hindering wind to Talybont where we could turn away from traffic to climb the Nant-Y-Moch. This is a lovely climb which takes us via wooded hillsides with a stream in the valley out onto open moors where the views back to the sea are memorable. The climb tops out for a ride around a very empty looking reservoir. Across the dam came a bit of a hill as we upped and downed to arrive at Devil's Bridge and our afternoon tea stop.

Cakes devoured we climbed again up and over to Cwmystwyth and the run along the river. Again we climbed this time up onto the high moor between the Welsh mountains. We turned for the Elan valley to ride over to the reservoirs. Again the had views through the woodland to each of the rather empty looking reservoirs. It wasn't long before we could drop away from the heights to return to Rhayader. It had been a long day out. Superb scenery with Red Kite, Buzzard, Kestrel, Raven, Linnet and a fox which ran out in front of us as we rounded the top reservoir of the Elan valley complex. 9560 feet of climbing made it a hilly one for sure.

You were vey close to where i live. Staylittle is only about 5 miles from me. I was out yesterday, just on the backroad. Just a quick blast because it looked like rain. Glad you enjoyed yourselves.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
You were vey close to where i live. Staylittle is only about 5 miles from me. I was out yesterday, just on the backroad. Just a quick blast because it looked like rain. Glad you enjoyed yourselves.
We've tried the main road from Llanidloes through to Staylittle. That's one tough bit of road. We've also done the loop around the back of the reservoir which is easier but still has a steep section. Yesterday's route through Hafren is probably easiest but about 5 miles longer. Andy said we did that extra 5 miles taking only an extra 10 mins over normal so I think Hafren is definitely the easier. You live in some superb scenic countryside for sure. Can be tough work at times tho'.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
We've tried the main road from Llanidloes through to Staylittle. That's one tough bit of road. We've also done the loop around the back of the reservoir which is easier but still has a steep section. Yesterday's route through Hafren is probably easiest but about 5 miles longer. Andy said we did that extra 5 miles taking only an extra 10 mins over normal so I think Hafren is definitely the easier. You live in some superb scenic countryside for sure. Can be tough work at times tho'.

I can indeed be hard work. Still that is the price you have to pay sometimes. I keep promising myself that i will go to clywedog Reservoir one day. I will probably staryt off from Machynlleth, through the golf course.

13 rider

Guru
Today's Leicester cc group ride was out to watch the Tour of Britian at Keyworth . Out the door at 0830 for a few early miles . While riding through Swithland I heard the on shout but couldn't see from where . At a junction I looked back and saw the North Leicestershire /South Derbyshire crew so sat up and @Chris Doyle and @Lilliburlero and his mate Bob soon caught me . On to the meeting point at Cossington and @Supersuperleeds appeared and were soon on our way ,Sileby ,Seagrave into Wymeswold where @tallliman was waiting all together now on to the first village on the course Wysall . Loads of people already out everywhere decorated .Then plan was to ride up the KOM just before Keyworth then find a spot to watch .Me being me had to have a go at the Strava section . @Supersuperleeds unwittingly lead me out on to the hill ( it's certainly no mountain) Full gas to the top and through the finish line . I'm sitting currently 4th today but I think I may lose a place or two when the pros finish. We were early enough to get a spot by the KOM finish . Bit Bit of hanging about watching the police outriders then just caught @Dave 123 and Mrs D on their tandem They rode down hill for a bit then found a vantage point then came back up for a quick chat . Mrs D was gushing about meeting Alex Dowsett :wub: ( great photos Dave ). Soon the helicopter was spotted as they approached and they flew bye making it look ridiculously easy . After the excitement we weaved through the crowds in the village and onto Nice Pie for a coffee and food :hungry:.After the cafe at the first junction @Chris Doyle ,@Lilliburlero and his mate Bob turned for home . Downhill to Barrow into a headwind as normal on Paudy lane .Here @tallliman turned for home for metric half for him as he is nursing a bad back so kudos for coming out . At Cossington me and @Supersuperleeds went our separate ways on to Anstey and 52 miles in the bag and hardly got wet which was better than forecast . The new mudguards are magic they kept the rain away . Metric century's for @Supersuperleeds and @Chris Doyle ,@Lilliburlero hadn't upload his ride yet but wouldn't be surprised to see an imperial ton . Another great ride in great company always enjoy our forum get together soon

13 rider

Guru
While riding me and @Supersuperleeds were guessing how long the pros would take to cover the 133 miles and we came to the conclusion of around 5hrs 20 mins . The winner ( wont name him ) finished in 4 hr 56 mins around 27 mph :surrender: I think they are pretty quick

Katherine

Guru
@ 13 rider has given the ride details above. So I will just put up some pictures

A few cyclechatters:
raw

The finish line on one of the KOM climbs:
thumbnail

Some nice bikes on a team car:
thumbnail

Some of the pro riders, crap cameraman as opposed to them going to fast:
thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

Some more nice bikes:
thumbnail
Pictures don't display I'm afraid.

Today’s ride I shall entitle “Tour of Britain with a dose of Nice Pie”....

So the Tour of Britain came to the East Midlands today and as planned the Leicestershire CC crew of myself, @13 rider, @Lilliburlero, @Supersuperleeds and @tallliman plus Lilliburlero’s mate Bob had a steady one up to Keyworth near Nottingham for the KOM section of the stage.

It was an all-too-familiar start for me- meeting Lilliburlero and Bob at the usual spot at 0830, and off to Cossington to meet the others.
Lilliburlero was on a different bike as his usual one was in the shop having had some “technical difficulties” last week......:whistle:

The route to Cossington exactly the same as always so nothing new to note there, but we were a little early for the meeting point and as such we noticed a familiar looking rider in the distance a few miles away from Cossington although I couldn’t be 100% sure until I saw the hanky come out of the back pocket, then I knew it was @13 rider!:laugh:

Eventually we caught up and rode together into Cossington to meet up with @Supersuperleeds. We were a good 10-15 mins ahead of schedule and used that time advantage to press on, hoping we’d get a good spot at the KOM in the process.

We met up with @tallliman at Wymeswold around 0955 ready for the short trip up to Keyworth and he quickly informed us that in the 10 mins or so he was waiting he saw at least 50 cyclists pass through so we knew time was of the essence.

The route to Keyworth took in new roads for me and before long we were at the start of the KOM. 13 rider couldn’t help himself and being the climbing monster that he is he soon shot off and left us all for dust! Eventually we all regrouped at the finish puffing and panting and it was getting busy but we got a good spot near the line where we waited for 3/4 hr freezing our you-know-what’s off for the race to pass through. However we did meet another CCer in the form of @Dave 123 and Mrs Dave who were on an unmissable tandem!

A few pics of the scene:-
E5A6B4B6-5626-43D1-A4E5-E17E323AF9BA.jpeg
A3101998-9690-4549-9140-08BB613DA2FB.jpeg
533B9440-8F87-4F24-844F-3FFC4697BA4A.jpeg
9870036A-0E32-4FA6-BBAE-BB077EE63696.jpeg
8E399580-CF05-434B-ACDD-431D67C27A1B.jpeg
DA68FB45-E768-453D-B0BF-E18F89261EE1.jpeg

Right on cue the riders zoomed through and it was nice to get a perspective of exactly how fast these guys go, although I got the feeling that at this stage they weren’t firing on all cylinders! I took a video of them coming through and 31 seconds was all it took in the end!!

Once the crowds dissipated we set off for the hallowed turf that is the Nice Pie cafe at Old Dalby just top side of Melton Mowbray which was 9-10 miles away and around a 40 min ride.

The forecasted rain had yet to really show itself although it was drizzly and the roads were wet by the time we got to Nice Pie.

Some pics of the hallowed turf and @tallliman making the gravelly descent (on foot) to the entrance....

29DD138B-6AF7-49F2-B4C9-05AF9E0C7499.jpeg
FAC34AE3-2700-40C6-B12F-FC59CE4586CB.jpeg
67330EFA-6CCF-4A73-9A98-9DCE3BBE7218.jpeg

After a light bite and a drink it was time to set off and as per usual @Lilliburlero, Bob and I took the flat, windy but much less hilly A6006 back home.

Peeling off from 13 rider, supersuperleeds and tallliman just down from the cafe we said our goodbyes and took the all too familiar route back, and I worked quite hard on the front for a good portion of the way! Eventually I peeled off from Lilliburlero and Bob at Belton and headed towards home through Thringstone and Whitwick, where I caught up with and got talking to some other riders who, like me, had been to watch the tour and we’re heading back and, like me, were beginning to feel it!

Got within a 1/4 mile of home and realised I needed another mile to bag the 3 points I needed to get the metric century for the challenge. And so it was a little “Tour de Hugglescote” to get me over the line. Oh and I dodged the rain.......

Anyway, that’s enough s**te from me.

62.3 miles/ 100.26 km in 3h 50.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1827360774
E1DEDB8A-5B14-498A-BD28-83317AA07D5B.jpeg

https://www.relive.cc/view/1827360774

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
While riding me and @Supersuperleeds were guessing how long the pros would take to cover the 133 miles and we came to the conclusion of around 5hrs 20 mins . The winner ( wont name him ) finished in 4 hr 56 mins around 27 mph :surrender: I think they are pretty quick

I said the same to our lass. Winner took 40 minutes longer than I took to do half the distance. Mind you, he wasn't having to drag you lot around :laugh:

Top Bottom