Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hope your not to badly shaken and you gave him what for
I actually, for the second time in my life, used the C word.
I went home and showered as I wanted to scrub his handprints off me. I scrubbed the bike too.
If blokey didn’t blow so hot and cold, I would change my sport to rowing.

Mike_P

Guru
The idea today was north to Fountains Abbey and Ripon. With a pretty strong wind about I decided to follow the cycle route out to the B6161 rather than using the A59; leaving aside the lack of a dropped kerb at one critical location :banghead: it also presents a brick wall, well 13+%, to climb up:wacko: .
wall.jpg
9-9 route.jpg

No queuing traffic today so straightforward ride to Ripley if a bit of drizzle in the wind. Northwards from Ripley on the A61 the drizzle turned heavier and thoughts changed to maybe turning back in a loop once I got to Markington.
A61 n of Ripley.jpg

However it then turned heavier and I turned instead off at South Stainley, and sheltered under a tree :rain:whilst donning my lightweight waterproof jacket. By the time I set off again it had turned back to drizzle. Took the bridleway towards Brearton and nearing the end of it the rain came again and continued until I had passed through most of Nidd. Took the B6165 to Ripley and largely a reverse of the outward route although making use of the A59. For a change the A61 southbound was queuing:blink:, turned out to be broken down car approximately opposite where the ambulance was last week.
a61 s ofr ripley.jpg

Due to the wind the outbound time along the B6161 was my faster ever:bicycle: and the return the slowest ever:cold:.
14.77 damp/wet miles 859ft climbed
090918 elevation.jpg

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Still a bit tired from Friday's outing but I joined Steve E in the Green to ride to the meet in Upton. Pete M, Jules H and Rich B were waiting. Off out through the school with chat flowing took us down onto the Hams. We crossed the River at Haw Bridge before looping by Apperley and Deerhurst for a southerly entrance to Tewkesbury. The day had warmed up nicely so we were able to sit outside for our coffees and cakes.

The ride back was fairly standard by the White Rabbit. Rich was tiring by Upton so Pete gave him a lift. This was only as far as Hanley Swan as Steve had suggested a beer at The Swan. With beers downed Steve begged a lift back so Rich rode with Jules and I to Clevelode Lane where he headed off while Jules and I went via Pixham Ferry before parting at Stanbrook Abbey. I took a little detour on the run back to grab an extra mile. I'd noticed that would give me 200 for the week and my OCD required that one :wacko: :laugh:. 53 smiles

pawl

Legendary Member
The details I got were: asshat in blue jag with Pratt plates.
Don’t want to be accused of racism so won’t describe his attire or look. I told plod though. They can do nothing and suggested his culture made him a twat towards women. So that’s ok then.

If the roles were reversed and you did that you would have been accused of being racist.Amazing how culture can be used as a defence As the plod said twat

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After yesterdays effort, it looked like I simply wouldn't have time to get a ride in today, so I didn't feel at all guilty about taking Mrs ND out for breakfast
IMG_20180909_094550954b.jpg

I think putting beans in a ramekin is a culinary crime in itself, so you can imaging what I thought of beans in a gravy boat....:stop:
It was a blooming tasty breakfast though, best I've had in a good while. :hungry:

Anyhow, against expectations, a window of opportunity appeared this afternoon, so with an hour or so to fill I quickly got changed and out on the bike - straight into the first shower of the day. :rolleyes:

After yesterdays deluge, it didn't seem too bad and I knew if I'd delayed going out I'd simply run out of time, so it was up onto Coal Road and Skeltons Lane, then the long descent into Thorner and up Main Street with a mum, dad and two kids cycling group heading the other way. :okay:
Up Milner Lane and onto the ridge, for a wind assisted push along past Hetchell Woods and on to the junction where I'd initially thought about turning back.
But I was enjoying the ride despite the rain and pushed on round the corner to Rigton Green, then picked up Bramham lane between the fields for some isolated solitude - except about half way along there was a dog walker wearing a pair of full on Cyberman headphones picking blackberries with his hound off the lead, so I slowed right down to prevent startling both. The dog was fine, the Cyberman was slightly surprised but no harm done and on round the S-bends and up onto Holme Farm Lane, where I stopped for a couple of quick pics as the rain finally cleared:
IMG_20180909_160444430_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180909_160520686_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180909_160628666_HDR.jpg

And this one, that might be suitable for the 'Your bike in from of a Col sign' thread? :laugh:
IMG_20180909_160556456_HDR.jpg

Back on the bike and along to Milner Lane, then retraced my route back into Thorner and out again on Carr Lane for the generally upwardness to Wetherby Road, a scoot along there and up onto Coal Road, where the "Your Speed Is" sign might have frowned at me :whistle: and onto local roads down to home.

14.1 miles (22.69km) in 1h 2m at an average of 13.5 mph with 692ft climbed.

That'll do for me - nice to get an unexpected ride in and with events planned for next weekend it might be my last outdoor ride for a week or two. The rain wasn't too bad and eventually stopped about half way round. And with the exception of one entitled driver who needs to read up on rights of way, all the motorists were playing nicely today which always helps.

And to end, a map that has a bit of an avian look to it today:
09092018.JPG

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
144E0BD9-DCD0-49B3-BE82-6BC85EDD477F.jpeg
8113F8CB-6B66-42B1-8296-27D393D79A3B.jpeg

I’ve had a pair of arm warmers for ages and have never worn them, I don’t know why, maybe I thought they would just slip down and look like Nora Batty’s tights (although I did think that was rather attractive!) anyway what a revelation, they are great! It was a bit cloudy and cool when we went out so on with the arm warmers, after half an hour off they came and into the back pocket, great to have that choice rather than being stuck with a long sleeve top.
This afternoons ride was out to Bramham, Thorner and Scholes, on to Barwick-in-Elmet, Aberford and Home.
Lovely steady ride with my neighbor, 23.1 miles in total with an average of 15.4 mph.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Get off my roads :laugh: . Lovely area to cycle round your brother in law dosnt avoid hills does he . Nice cafe stop at Dove cottage just outside plunger you turned right just before a steep hump back bridge it's just over that . I presume you stopped in the cafe in Clawson itself . Hope you had a good weekend .

It was my brothers revenge for me nearly setting his head on fire with home grown peppers, I gave him chilli, he gave us hilly!

We’ve been to DoveCottage tea room before. Yes, we stopped in Long Clawson after coming down the big hill, that was great fun!

I like this part of the world, really nice riding.

13 rider

Guru
It was my brothers revenge for me nearly setting his head on fire with home grown peppers, I gave him chilli, he gave us hilly!

We’ve been to DoveCottage tea room before. Yes, we stopped in Long Clawson after coming down the big hill, that was great fun!

I like this part of the world, really nice riding.
Any drop into the Vale is fun but that one one of the longer ones the problem with riding in the Vale is I have to climb out of it . Wood lane near Belvior castle is in the book one hundred climbs that a steep one :surrender:if you fancy a challenge

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I took my old steel roadie out for 10 miles this morning. Was run off the road by a driver who stopped to yell at me, tell me that white women were whores as we go out alone blah blah blah.
Got told off on face ache bike group for mentioning his race. First thing the police asked when I reported it though.
A like doesn't really seem appropriate for this but I've given one for having shared it with us. I'm sorry you've had to deal with this nasty bugger and hope it hasn't rattled you too much.

Glad you reported it and I hope you never encounter him again.

TigerT

Veteran
Today’s ride didn’t go to plan!

When I woke up this morning, the weather was fantastic, more like the start of summer than the end. I haven't been out on my hybrid for some time, so I decided on my normal Sunday ride to Baden, but along the cross country gravel route. I started out at 10:30 and took it really easy. My Scott is almost 2x the weight of my Road Bike so I wasn't hurrying.

I got to Baden eventually and dropped into the station for a Coffee and a donut. As usually happens when the suns out and the ride is going well, my thoughts turned toward a longer ride. I decided to take the same route back for most of the route, then where it joins Route 32 follow that out towards the German border, but then turning off onto Route 60 and back towards Zurich taking the path around the outside of the airport.

I almost got home.... Then I got a text from a friend asking if I wanted to go for a ride!?! As I was already out, how could I say no! So I headed out to Bassersdorf to meet him. While I had an Emergency Ice Cream to cool down. We discussed routes. We decided just to let his Garmin decide. So he programmed it to take us in a loop for an hour.

To be fair it picked a great route.... for Road bikes! It went up every hill in the area. I was absolutely shattered at the end of it. Still it's always good to ride with company so it made a nice end to the days adventures. Just wished I was on my Road bike for the last bit. My Scott is a heavy old thing to drag up hills when you're already tired.

Great day out - a planned easy 50kms that turned into a more challenging 100kms. No riding now for a couple of weeks due to holidays, but hopefully the weather will still be nice in 10 days as then I have 4 days with no plans before going back to work.

Heres a couple of photos from todays adventures.
CQPCCgPCS56rcTy0Ufrgmg.jpg

On my bike, smiling away as usual
tx185mRJSQmtvVh+h3n3hw.jpg

Resting by the river
TyeNsx8kQo257GDGPKJMGQ.jpg

The view back towards Zurich Airport
IMG_1360.JPG

And the map showing the rather random extensions!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just a quick spin this afternoon after a few days where either the weather was bad or I couldn't find my mojo.

I took the Raleigh and went out on my regular route to Condover, Atcham, Upton Magna, Uffington Shrewsbury town centre & home.

I had a few stops early on as having adjusted my saddle recently I think I've messed up the settings. A tweak seemed to help (raised it a bit) but I'm not sure why this bike in particular is so tricky to get right. I have an idea about it but I will need to experiment.

The ride went pretty smoothly otherwise. It was pleasantly warm out athough rather windy. Plenty of other cyclists out and about which was nice to see.

Getting near to town I used the old canal path for a bit but turned off before the rough section and went along Sundorne Road which wasn't too busy being a Sunday. The riverside path was quite popular today and I took the same detours as last time I came this way: up Watergate and round the town centre before heading through the Quarry from the Welsh Bridge end. Plenty of people in the park which made for quite slow progress.

Finally I headed for home through Belle Vue and had the wind against me the rest of the way back.

23.1 miles at 14.4 mph average and a wind-assisted top speed of 32.2 mph which was quite fun.

Photos are a bit random today:

DSC0007057.jpg

Claremont Hill in the centre of Shrewsbury.

DSC0007060.jpg

The main gates to The Quarry on St. Chad's Terrace.

DSC0007061.jpg

Victoria Quay. There were a few people sat out at the tables further along.

Top Bottom