Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Today club run with the Hounslow and District Wheelers

Destination was Ashridge Manor Farm near Binfield
It seemed likely to be not so many miles, so with 100 miles of Velo south only a couple of weeks away, I did a little bit before and a loop after

Still just did over 60 miles.

Number on our club runs are tending on the low side a bit of a worry as I prefer not to have to go further

Route out was via the Great Park and Forest Road, and we manage to not exaclty get lost but take the wring road in Binfield

Return was on the more familiar Drift Road.
At Egham I took the road and did a loop and a half round Thorpe, then home via Chertsey

So totals were 60.68 miles at 16.8 mph
Wind was rather blustery

1670 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/1829877177

Saluki

World class procrastinator
[QUOTE 5376583, member: 9609"]had he sort of accidentally ran you off the road and then in the following dispute over the driving the racism come out amidst his temper - or had he actually ran you off the road to be racist towards you? Either way not nice, but if it is the latter then it is pretty disturbing. And I wouldn't feel guilty about mentioning his race - he clearly mentioned yours.

Anyway, hope you are alright and keep pedalling - the road is as much yours as anyone else's.[/QUOTE]
While he was overtaking there was an oncoming vehicle. He chose not to brake but to drive into me as he didn’t want to damage his car and, as I am only a worthless woman, he felt it ok to try and wipe me out.
Then he stopped around the corner to get out and berate me. From the roundabout I can only go left so had to go that way.
Police knew of him.

While he was overtaking there was an oncoming vehicle. He chose not to brake but to drive into me as he didn’t want to damage his car and, as I am only a worthless woman, he felt it ok to try and wipe me out.
Then he stopped around the corner to get out and berate me. From the roundabout I can only go left so had to go that way.
Police knew of him.

I’d have damaged his car, and knocked seven shades of s**t out of the b*****d, no hesitation. He’s seen you as easy prey, I hope you’re ok and hopefully he’ll get his comeuppance.

Yesterday's ride today. Was just far too cream-crackered to write up a really long day. Anyways, I'd had an idea brewing for a while, so figured I may as well bite the bullet and do something totally mad... :crazy:

So I rolled out of the door just gone 8am and rode the five and a half miles to Ely station. Arrived with just enough time for Wiggy and me to catch the 08:57 - the first through train of the day to Kings Cross. Train was surprisingly packed, and it was standing room only all the way in. Was stood next to a chap with a really nice Felt roadie, but silly thing was, he was the one admiring *my* bike. We were in the middle of a good chat, and that was when I noticed the cut in my rear tyre. :ohmy: On closer inspection, it was just a thin slice in the tread, like someone had had a go at it with a vegetable peeler.

Decided to take the chance that it would hold up (and it did) but a new tyre is on order.

Anyways, once at Kings Cross, it's a short hop to the tube - lifts make it so easy to wheel the bike about. Had just gone through the gates for the circle line when one of the station bods stopped me. My first thought was "oh poop, he's not going to let me get on the tube", but it turns out he just wanted to ask me a) about my bike and b) where did I get that really neat bar bag from. (It's from Decathlon btw...) :smile: He cheerily waved me onto the circle line platform. So, circle line to Blackfriars, where Wiggy had yet another admirer - an elderly gent who couldn't believe that road bikes come in such a small size! :laugh: (It's a 38cm frame btw...)

That was really easy, and again, there are lifts which make things so accessible. From Blackfriars station, it was a short and straightforward ride using CS6 over Blackfriars bridge and down Stamford Street to Waterloo, leaving me in good time for the 11:35 train to Weymouth. Again, no problems finding the bike area on the train. Even better, it's in the "quiet carriage". Ended up sharing the bike space with a chap who was doing the last leg of a cycle tour all the way from Rome! That's serious "chapeau" that is... :notworthy: Turns out we were both getting off in Winchester.

So, there was me, deposited in Winchester at quarter to one on a warm, sunny, if rather windy afternoon. Big thanks to @Bollo and @jay clock for the instructions on how to get out (and back into) town. So, armed with that, plus OS Explorer sheet 32 I set out for a ride into the big unknown. Well, to Alresford anyway, a place I know reasonably well. It's just the ride that was unknown.

I chose the "quick ugly route" out of town, and negotiated that, plus the Winnall roundabout and underpasses without any bother. It was already a bit hilly, but man, I had *NO* idea of what I was about to face. :wacko: I huffed and puffed my way to Easton, where I took my first wrong turn of the day and ended up halfway to the A31 before I realised the mistake. Fortunately the way back to Easton was downhill. Once on the right road, following NCN 23, I ground my way to Avington, occasionally running out of gears - and out of legs. At least, when I ran out of legs, I could stop, catch my breath and admire the wonderful countryside that's so very different from the fens that I call home. :wub: Rode through a beautiful little wood and alongside the river on a stretch that turned out to be the easiest part of the ride. No sign of any highland coos though... Then onwards to Ovington - now that was really tough. And yes, I did have to get off and push. More than once... :blush: The climb into Alresford was also rather horrible, but dropping into town wasn't so bad, although the cycle path is definitely a bit rattly in places.

The real killer was that it too two and a half hours to cycle to Alresford from Winchester - out here I'd do that distance in about 45 minutes. Talk about a culture shock. I definitely won't be complaining about the mere pimples masquerading as hills that we have out here... :whistle:

It's funny though, despite the fact it's been the best part of a decade since I was last in Alresford, I hadn't forgotten my way around. Although I was on limited time given that the ride had took me double what I'd planned for it. So some of my plans were put on ice (I'll take the bus when I want to do those) and I spent the little time I had visiting the grave of someone who always has been and who always will be very dear to me. :blush:

All too soon, it was time to leave as I knew I *had* to either get the 18:45 or 19:22 trains out of Winchester. Miss the latter and I'd be in real doodoo, as I couldn't afford to miss the 22:11 train to Ely and Kings Lynn, seeings that it was the last one of the day...

So riding with a bit more intent (that was a mistake as I'd pay for it later) I headed back out of Alresford. That's where I made my second wrong turn of the day and ended up in Tichbourne. Oops. So hammer time, found the right junction and retraced my wheel tracks from earlier along NCN 23. By then I was starting to run out of steam, and found that I had to get off and walk more than on the outward leg. :cry: At least gravity helped me with the downhills and part of the uphills. Stopped behind a hedgerow for a natural, only to unship the chain and promptly have a clipless moment. And smear oil all over my right sock. :banghead: By now it was definitely a lot cooler and I was glad for the jacket I'd packed. I thought I might make the 18:45 despite the detour, but by the time I'd got to Winnall, my legs were crying enough. :surrender: Fortunately the run into Winchester is mostly downhill, but then the one way system threw a spanner in the works as it took me the long way round - in retrospect I think I should just have got off and walked in the way I went out. At one point I was thinking that I would be in serious trouble trainwise, but turning a corner and finding the station was the most welcome thing ever. Even more welcome was the fact that I had 5 mins to spare for the 19:22. :wahhey:

So an exhausted me wheeled Wiggy onto the train, I sucked down a whole bottle of water, scarfed my last sandwich and banana and dozed most of the way back to Waterloo. By then I'd perked up and tootled back along CS6 to Blackfriars and thence to Kings Cross on the Circle Line. There I had 40 mins to kill before getting my train back to Ely, so found a bike rack, locked up the bike and did the pit stop thing, bought a pint of milk and a large bag of crisps as I was desperately craving something salty. :popcorn:

The train home was not terribly busy, but there were a lot of cyclists on board. Wiggy got a few more admiring glances. :blush: 23:22 saw me back at Ely station, and from there I bimbled the five and a half miles home. But I was really tired by then, my brain and my feet weren't really on speaking terms, and I made a hash of unclipping as I rolled up to my gate. Hence my second clipless moment of the day. Unlike the first, where I'd toppled over into a soft grass verge, I came down on tarmac. Ouch. Wiggy now has shredded bar tape (no big deal, I have a new lot waiting to go on anyway) and a tear on the saddle. So, note to self, when tired, it's best *not* to ride clipped in...

I was home just gone midnight. And got the right old what for from the cats...

Not entirely sure on the mileage, but I'd guess it was probably around 35 miles all told, mostly hilly and rather blustery. So that was my first ever metric half - and what a truly insane way to do it...

Having said that, I've never made any claims about my sanity - or lack thereof. :crazy:

Yesterday I was swearing I'd never do this again. Today, I'm thinking that if I improved my fitness and had a bike with much lower gearing, I might give this another crack at some point... Though time constraints (and railcard discounts) mean that this is only a weekend thing.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I’d have damaged his car, and knocked seven shades of s**t out of the b*****d, no hesitation. He’s seen you as easy prey, I hope you’re ok and hopefully he’ll get his comeuppance.
The police are aware of him. He doesn't live in our town.
Had he been the same race as me, I might have knocked his block off.
I was peeved off by the people walking by with their heads down.
Still, no bruises on my arms this morning, which is good. I don't like being grabbed at.

Yesterday's ride today. Was just far too cream-crackered to write up a really long day. Anyways, I'd had an idea brewing for a while, so figured I may as well bite the bullet and do something totally mad... :crazy:

So I rolled out of the door just gone 8am and rode the five and a half miles to Ely station. Arrived with just enough time for Wiggy and me to catch the 08:57 - the first through train of the day to Kings Cross. Train was surprisingly packed, and it was standing room only all the way in. Was stood next to a chap with a really nice Felt roadie, but silly thing was, he was the one admiring *my* bike. We were in the middle of a good chat, and that was when I noticed the cut in my rear tyre. :ohmy: On closer inspection, it was just a thin slice in the tread, like someone had had a go at it with a vegetable peeler.

Decided to take the chance that it would hold up (and it did) but a new tyre is on order.

Anyways, once at Kings Cross, it's a short hop to the tube - lifts make it so easy to wheel the bike about. Had just gone through the gates for the circle line when one of the station bods stopped me. My first thought was "oh poop, he's not going to let me get on the tube", but it turns out he just wanted to ask me a) about my bike and b) where did I get that really neat bar bag from. (It's from Decathlon btw...) :smile: He cheerily waved me onto the circle line platform. So, circle line to Blackfriars, where Wiggy had yet another admirer - an elderly gent who couldn't believe that road bikes come in such a small size! :laugh: (It's a 38cm frame btw...)

That was really easy, and again, there are lifts which make things so accessible. From Blackfriars station, it was a short and straightforward ride using CS6 over Blackfriars bridge and down Stamford Street to Waterloo, leaving me in good time for the 11:35 train to Weymouth. Again, no problems finding the bike area on the train. Even better, it's in the "quiet carriage". Ended up sharing the bike space with a chap who was doing the last leg of a cycle tour all the way from Rome! That's serious "chapeau" that is... :notworthy: Turns out we were both getting off in Winchester.

So, there was me, deposited in Winchester at quarter to one on a warm, sunny, if rather windy afternoon. Big thanks to @Bollo and @jay clock for the instructions on how to get out (and back into) town. So, armed with that, plus OS Explorer sheet 32 I set out for a ride into the big unknown. Well, to Alresford anyway, a place I know reasonably well. It's just the ride that was unknown.

I chose the "quick ugly route" out of town, and negotiated that, plus the Winnall roundabout and underpasses without any bother. It was already a bit hilly, but man, I had *NO* idea of what I was about to face. :wacko: I huffed and puffed my way to Easton, where I took my first wrong turn of the day and ended up halfway to the A31 before I realised the mistake. Fortunately the way back to Easton was downhill. Once on the right road, following NCN 23, I ground my way to Avington, occasionally running out of gears - and out of legs. At least, when I ran out of legs, I could stop, catch my breath and admire the wonderful countryside that's so very different from the fens that I call home. :wub: Rode through a beautiful little wood and alongside the river on a stretch that turned out to be the easiest part of the ride. No sign of any highland coos though... Then onwards to Ovington - now that was really tough. And yes, I did have to get off and push. More than once... :blush: The climb into Alresford was also rather horrible, but dropping into town wasn't so bad, although the cycle path is definitely a bit rattly in places.

The real killer was that it too two and a half hours to cycle to Alresford from Winchester - out here I'd do that distance in about 45 minutes. Talk about a culture shock. I definitely won't be complaining about the mere pimples masquerading as hills that we have out here... :whistle:

It's funny though, despite the fact it's been the best part of a decade since I was last in Alresford, I hadn't forgotten my way around. Although I was on limited time given that the ride had took me double what I'd planned for it. So some of my plans were put on ice (I'll take the bus when I want to do those) and I spent the little time I had visiting the grave of someone who always has been and who always will be very dear to me. :blush:

All too soon, it was time to leave as I knew I *had* to either get the 18:45 or 19:22 trains out of Winchester. Miss the latter and I'd be in real doodoo, as I couldn't afford to miss the 22:11 train to Ely and Kings Lynn, seeings that it was the last one of the day...

So riding with a bit more intent (that was a mistake as I'd pay for it later) I headed back out of Alresford. That's where I made my second wrong turn of the day and ended up in Tichbourne. Oops. So hammer time, found the right junction and retraced my wheel tracks from earlier along NCN 23. By then I was starting to run out of steam, and found that I had to get off and walk more than on the outward leg. :cry: At least gravity helped me with the downhills and part of the uphills. Stopped behind a hedgerow for a natural, only to unship the chain and promptly have a clipless moment. And smear oil all over my right sock. :banghead: By now it was definitely a lot cooler and I was glad for the jacket I'd packed. I thought I might make the 18:45 despite the detour, but by the time I'd got to Winnall, my legs were crying enough. :surrender: Fortunately the run into Winchester is mostly downhill, but then the one way system threw a spanner in the works as it took me the long way round - in retrospect I think I should just have got off and walked in the way I went out. At one point I was thinking that I would be in serious trouble trainwise, but turning a corner and finding the station was the most welcome thing ever. Even more welcome was the fact that I had 5 mins to spare for the 19:22. :wahhey:

So an exhausted me wheeled Wiggy onto the train, I sucked down a whole bottle of water, scarfed my last sandwich and banana and dozed most of the way back to Waterloo. By then I'd perked up and tootled back along CS6 to Blackfriars and thence to Kings Cross on the Circle Line. There I had 40 mins to kill before getting my train back to Ely, so found a bike rack, locked up the bike and did the pit stop thing, bought a pint of milk and a large bag of crisps as I was desperately craving something salty. :popcorn:

The train home was not terribly busy, but there were a lot of cyclists on board. Wiggy got a few more admiring glances. :blush: 23:22 saw me back at Ely station, and from there I bimbled the five and a half miles home. But I was really tired by then, my brain and my feet weren't really on speaking terms, and I made a hash of unclipping as I rolled up to my gate. Hence my second clipless moment of the day. Unlike the first, where I'd toppled over into a soft grass verge, I came down on tarmac. Ouch. Wiggy now has shredded bar tape (no big deal, I have a new lot waiting to go on anyway) and a tear on the saddle. So, note to self, when tired, it's best *not* to ride clipped in...

Not entirely sure on the mileage, but I'd guess it was probably around 35 miles all told, mostly hilly and rather blustery. So that was my first ever metric half - and what a truly insane way to do it...

Having said that, I've never made any claims about my sanity - or lack thereof. :crazy:

Yesterday I was swearing I'd never do this again. Today, I'm thinking that if I improved my fitness and had a bike with much lower gearing, I might give this another crack at some point... Though time constraints (and railcard discounts) mean that this is only a weekend thing.

Excellent write up @Reynard, and sounds like a great adventure! :notworthy:

With all the train travel I’ve done this year I should seriously think about a railcard....

The police are aware of him. He doesn't live in our town.
Had he been the same race as me, I might have knocked his block off.
I was peeved off by the people walking by with their heads down.
Still, no bruises on my arms this morning, which is good. I don't like being grabbed at.

I hope they do something about it for your sake if nothing else. I’m my mind it could be construed as a racist attack bearing in mind what he said to you but such are the double standards in this country I doubt very much the powers that be would agree.

Had it have been me in that situation I’d have tolerated the verbal, but the second he’d put his hands on me then I don’t care if he’s black, white or rainbow coloured, Christian, Jew, Muslim or f**king Jedi I promise you he would have not been able to get back in his car!

Excellent write up @Reynard, and sounds like a great adventure! :notworthy:

With all the train travel I’ve done this year I should seriously think about a railcard....

Thanks - it was an adventure. Even if I did feel like chucking the bike in a hedge of a time or two... :giggle:

A network railcard (assuming you're in the catchment area for it) or any other railcard for that matter, is a total no-brainer. Yes, it costs £30 upfront, but two or three decent trips and you've recouped the cost of the card, and continue saving 1/3 off rail fares for the year. If, like me, you use the trains a lot, it's well worth it.

My railcard lopped £22 off yesterday's rail fare - and included the tube transfer across London.

Only downsides to a railcard: 1) during the week you're limited to travelling after 10am and 2) the full-price train fare has to be greater than £13 for the discount to kick in.

A network railcard (assuming you're in the catchment area for it) or any other railcard for that matter, is a total no-brainer. Yes, it costs £30 upfront, but two or three decent trips and you've recouped the cost of the card, and continue saving 1/3 off rail fares for the year. If, like me, you use the trains a lot, it's well worth it.

I have done quite a bit on the trains this year just through riding but also other bits too. From their website though it says the network railcard is only valid for the south east? Bit of a tall order living in the East Midlands!!

I have done quite a bit on the trains this year just through riding but also other bits too. From their website though it says the network railcard is only valid for the south east? Bit of a tall order living in the East Midlands!!

Drat, that would almost certainly put you out of the catchment area... I'm lucky as it covers East Anglia, London, and most of the south and south east.

There are other railcards available, but you'd have to check the small print to see whether they're suitable for you or not.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....

Well done and thanks for the great write up.:okay:

13 rider

Guru

Well done :notworthy: bonkers and brilliant at the same time :okay:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out and about with @gavgav today as he has the day off. He left me in charge of plotting a route and requested that it include a pub stop. After offering a couple of options the one he chose is one of the routes I've ridden fairly regularly over the summer but has sections that Gav has never cycled before.

After a morning meetup we headed out of Shrewsbury on the road to Acton Burnell, turning off after a couple of miles or so towards Condover then over Hunger Hill onto the road to Exfords Green , Pontesbury and Minsterley. It's quite breezy out which made this first part of the ride into the wind quite an effort. It was also a bit on the cool side but borderine for needing layers on top.

After Minsterley (on the first section that's new to Gav) we turned north and the wind helped a bit through Westbury to Prince's Oak but we didn't get the full benefit until Melverley, from where it was behind us for a few miles and helped with the climb on the way to Great Ness.

Reaching Prescott (just south of Baschurch) we turned south to Yeaton and realised how much the wind had been helping as it seemed to have strengthened since earlier. We had a pause for our lunch just After Yeaton then tackled the steady climbing through Walford Heath to Merrington (thankfully with wind assistance again).

There was some nice downhill on the way to Hadnall and a stop for me to take a phone call (my brother had borrowed my car and couldn't remember which fuel it's supposed to take. Thankfully he'd called rather than guessing ^_^)

In Hadnall we encountered our second numpty of the day who came storming out of a side road without even a glance (the first numpty had given us a good overtake but came within millimetres of jousting mirrors with the car coming the other way), then shortly after the village encountered a tractor being driven energetically which left one of its beacon lamps hanging in a tree after swinging over to the side to make room for us. Oops!

Astley to Upton Magna was a lot less eventful but the wind was to the side and it's a bit uphill so progress was slowing a bit. The descent from the edge of Haughmond Hill into Upton Magna was as fun as ever though.

We were getting about ready for the promised pub stop now. The Haughmond Inn is closed on a Monday unfortunately but the Corbet Arms at Uffington isn't so we ended up there instead, which was a good choice as they had beers from two of our favourite local breweries on tap.:cheers:

Eventually we needed to press on again and kept mostly to the cyclepaths for the remaining trip back. Shortly after parting from Gav I realised that his waterproof was still in my pannier so I ended up adding a bit of extra distance going back to return it to him.

58.6 miles for me today at 12.6 mph average.

Very few photos taken this time:

DSC0007062.jpg

Early on in the ride. Taking a quick break at Plealey.

DSC0007063.jpg

Gav enjoys his pint......

DSC0007064.jpg

..... and mine isn't bad either.^_^

Today's ride was just a five mile FLAT bimble to Pymoor and back via Dunkirk and O Furlong - not a single hill in sight. :laugh: So nice to be able to find the right gear and just ride a steady tempo. Did wonders to banish the really bad stiffness I was left with after yesterday.

Well, it was a crackpot idea and somehow I pulled it off. Just. :biggrin:

Though wouldn't have even considered it without inspiration from some of the rides on here. :notworthy:

Top Bottom