Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Yesterday's ride was a reversal of the ride up to Cheshire a couple of weeks ago. The girls were arriving back in Manchester about midday, so in return for driving up I get a ride back.

Until the previous afternoon I hadn't really thought it through properly, and I began to see the pitfalls. I take the bike out of the car and something is wrong or missing? There's no room for me and bike on the return. Anyway, Tesco in the centre of Crewe looked like a good place to part, leaving my wife a straightforward final run up to the airport, and once I was on the road, clearly with everything working as it should, the anxiety evaporated and I looked forward to the road ahead. It was chilly and autumnal to start with but the heavy early morning rain had gone. Two layers, arm warmers and gloves were just right.

The first village after leaving Crewe was Wybunbury, which I have no idea how to enunciate. Surely not Why Bunbury? After that it was Audlem and Market Drayton, familiar names from my days as a canal enthusiast. There are 27 locks in a few miles lifting the canal out of the Weaver valley. The only problematic bit of road I could see is a rather straight and fast-looking main road hill south of Market Drayton, easily avoided by taking the minor road past the golf course.

After that I'd picked a minor road route roughly tracking the canal, which if I'd fancied it would have taken me all the way to Wolverhampton passing only two more locks. But the roads were very nice - all too familiar to some, I'm sure, but these are lands largely unknown to me. The Wrekin and the Clee Hills were starting to get reassuringly bigger.

I was hoping for a photo opportunity at Forton Aqueduct, on the long-abandoned Newport branch of the Shropshire Union, but it seemed overwhelmed by vegetation and practically invisible. Better visited in another season, methinks. Onwards along more delightful lanes, then on a short section of the A41 I found myself passing RAF Cosford, a name I remember from watching indoor athetics on Grandstand in the 1970s.

After passing through Albrighton I started to pick up signs for Kinver, and began to feel I was reaching my home patch at last. The day's one "categorised" climb was Kinver Edge. It's very pretty but heavily wooded, obscuring the view from the road at least. It looks like a good place to visit in winter and look for groups of foraging birds.

I proceeded through Wolverley and the centre of Kidderminster, then stopped briefly at St Mary's Church, Stone, and it's most famous permanent resident, racing driver Peter Collins:

Stone2.JPG

Collins2.JPG

At least one of the cars looks to be of the right period!

Just a few hundred yards of the A449 were hellish, and I was glad I'd routed myself along the very narrow and undulating road via Lincomb to Holt Fleet. The section since Kinver had felt extremely arryhthmic and it was good to be on the more benign and stress-free roads on the quieter western side of the Severn. Apart for Worcester, that is, where I hit school turning out time - and received a few insulting comments.

For once, I took the noble Wainlode Hill route into Gloucester, and arrived about 45 minutes before I needed to head down to the cathedral for my youngest daughter's school prize giving. She'd done very well, and we'd been invited into the chapter house before the event for refreshments with the big-wigs. With the mayoral types in their fancy dress it felt as though we'd stumbled into a pantomine. I'd been hoping for vol-au-vents and the like, but the food on offer was all sweet stuff. I didn't want to undo all my good work so quickly, so remarkably, I passed.

Here's the route and profile - 111.32 miles:

Crewem.JPG

Crewee.JPG

Carefully keeping the maximum elevation under 500 feet means that the spike of Wainlode Hill looks a bit more significant than it usually does. :smile:

C R

Guru
Quick outing in the glorious midday sunshine, including a visit to the school, to drop my son's splint, which he had "forgotten" for the third day in a row. Just eight miles at 15.2mph, which is fast for me. Ready for what ever the afternoon skypes bring.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A quick tour around my Condover, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cressage, Walcot, Upton Magna, Atcham route today using the Raleigh.

I added a little extra at the start by going over Lyth Hill and enjoying the views then was riding against a headwind to Longnor. I came up behind another couple of cyclists here but they turned off towards Church Stretton before I caught them.

On the way to Acton Burnell I had a cross-tailwind which helped a bit, but more so on the way to Cressage when it was directly behind me and I hardly dropped below 20 mph for a good couple of miles. I got on alright up the climb to Eaton Constantine and beyond then enjoyed the descent along Bluebell Lane.

At Walcot I couldn't quite catch up with a tractor and trailer to get the slipstream but they did seem to clear the lane of wasps for a bit which was good as I'd had them bouncing off me at intervals most of the ride. Along this bit of road I noticed a tanker following me and pulled over to let them by but got a flash of the headlights and a wave to carry on so I'm guessing they were looking for one of the cottages.

I'd turned into the wind on the way to Withington and I'd be against it most of the way back, which slowed things down a bit. Seeing another cyclist settling down with a coffee outside the Haughmond Inn's cafe made it tempting to stop but I'll save that for when I'm riding with someone.

At Crosshouses I had my one close pass of the trip when a guy in a Merc S class decided to squeeze between me and the car coming the other way. If he'd held off for literally three seconds he'd have had a clear road. Fortunately I met several much more polite drivers down the lanes which made up for it.

35.7 miles this time at 15.3 mph average.

DSC0007078.jpg

Just the one pic from a drink stop near Acton Burnell today

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I've managed to get a whole day off w*rk, so figured today would be metric century challenge ride time. Now I have grand plans for my imperial ride this month, so wanted to scope out the starting point some 20 miles away just South of Guildford. Headed out through familiar territory to Chobham, through Horsell and Woking into all new roads for me. After a little jaunt through Woking Park it was South through Westfield, Sutton Green and into Jacobs Well. I passed this before returning for the one and only photo on the ride, taking the opportunity to shed the windproof jacket since the temperature had come up to 10 degrees.
13 Sept 2018 Jacobs Well Millenium Monument.jpg

Down to Guildford and a brief spin on the A25 (yuk) before heading off towards Bramley on the NCR 22. This found the start of my planned 100 miler, and I headed on in a little, lumpy route through Littleton and Artington.
The route home was up and over the Surrey Hills, after my week in the Dordogne I found these hills easier than before which was nice.
The planned route home was changed as Decathlon emailed while I was out to say my parts were in, so home via Staines.
62.4 miles done, with 2156ft of climbing, flatter than planned due to the route change.
Back to the commute at 0500hrs tomorrow, I wonder how much longer I'll be doing that in shorts?

pjd57

Veteran
We originally planned on heading north out of Glasgow, from Maryhill to Aberfoyle, but the forecasts weren't good. Too windy.

Opted for a shorter route through Bearsden, Carbeth, Drymen then Balmaha on the banks of Loch Lomond.
To say there's some hills isn't accurate.
There's a couple of short flat bits is better.

40 mile round trip
IMG_20180913_110353.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I was supposed to go for a curry tonight, but the weather was just too good. We’re not going to get too many evenings like this for a while.

We took the tandem out at 5.30, the only problem being impatient pricks driving home from work. I was thinking of going to Shelford and stopping at a pub for a pint, but Mrs Dave suggested The Chequers in Little Gransden. Golden Showers beer, who was I to argue?

There was a fair old headwind, and on the hill to Gamlingsy we only just got over 30mph.

We reached The Chequers, it was shut. I’m not listening to her in future!

C064D6D5-7F94-4548-A3DC-58F5E9256444.jpeg

26 sunny, cool miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1839416354

Katherine

Guru
PSX_20180912_211907.jpg

I added a loop round Blackleach country park on my evening ride, yesterday.
Out into the sunset, home in the dark under a beautiful starry sky and a new moon.
I took lights but the batteries only just held out.

We originally planned on heading north out of Glasgow, from Maryhill to Aberfoyle, but the forecasts weren't good. Too windy.

Opted for a shorter route through Bearsden, Carbeth, Drymen then Balmaha on the banks of Loch Lomond.
To say there's some hills isn't accurate.
There's a couple of short flat bits is better.

40 mile round trip View attachment 429849
Tom Weir?

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
First longish ride for a few weeks 100.4Km - Blaby - Countesthorpe - Wiloughby Waterleys -Ashby Magna - South Kilworth - Cold Ashby - Thornby - Naseby - Creaton - Brixworth- Creaton - Sibbetoft - Clipston (almost) - Marston Trussel (almost) - Theddingworth - Saddington - Fleckney - Arnesby - Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby

The .4Km makes all the difference haha!

Top Bottom