Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Just a 10 mile lap of the lanes this evening. Notable for the fact it was the first ride on the Tricross this year. As you may recall, back in the spring / summer I stripped the Tricross down to just the frame and built it back up, with a touring bike front chainset. It was a learning project, and there was lots of it. Most of all it's been a struggle to get the front derailleur working across all three chain rings. I think the derailleur I bought (cheap, eBay!) isn't quite compatible - it's not adjustable really and I think the down-tube is at the wrong angle for a mountain bike changer and is also very slightly too small diameter, so there's been a lot of tweaking. But with some packing and lots of patience I think I'm there.

It was a pleasure to be able to zip along with far less effort than the wide tyres and upright position of the Giant demands. In fact my new gearing felt a little low for a roadbike - but then it was a flat ride.

Most of all I'm delighted that it didn't fall apart on me.

pjd57

Veteran
I've baled out of a club ride in the past when it was all just nose to the bars, ass in the air stuff. Can't be bothered with racing about just to prove how fast you raced about!
Free wheel rides are the opposite. Plod along chatting. I'm usually ok with it but some days I get so far then head off on my own.
Maybe a bit antisocial on what is billed as a social ride.

Mrs M

Guru
Today’s ride I shall entitle “Belvoir Blast 100”......

So today was the day for the 2018 Belvoir Blast sportive, a ride I have been anxiously waiting to do for 5-6 months. I’ve been told by various sources that it was definitely one to do because the feed stops were amazing and boy, they weren’t wrong!!

There were six of us due to do it but for various reasons one by one they pulled out so I was a Billy-No-Mates! Setting off just after 8am it was through a few familiar lanes for a couple of miles that I had previously covered through another sportive and also on forum rides. Just 2 1/2 miles had lapsed before the first climb started out of the vale (I believe it to be called Harby Hill) which I would hazard a guess at its steepest was around 10%ish. As I was still warming up at this time there was minimal effort but it still pushed the HR up to max! A left turn at the top and a bit of flats followed and then it was down Stathern hill which I’d covered a month or so ago on a forum ride.

I weaved through a couple more lanes again familiar territory ast Dove Cottage but turning right just before the cafe I had visited a few weeks ago with the chaps off the forum. It was a this stage I encountered a couple of chaps who were riding at a pace I liked and they kindly let me tag along with them. They were very friendly indeed and we all got on really well and stayed together for the remainder of the ride (well, 2 of us anyway but I’ll get onto that in a bit!)

I did splinter off for a short while through Barkestone and it was coming out of here I could see what was to be major climb no 2. Looking in the distance I could see the all too familiar silhouette of Belvoir Castle and what I thought was a long straight road.

Turns out it wasn’t that straight......

It kicked up very gently and I had an inkling there was a climb imminent and so I dropped off pace wise in anticipation of this. As I approached the wooded area it kicked up but being the naive soul I am I ground it out in big gears hoping it wasn’t all that.

Turns out it was “all that.” And then some! The bloody thing went round a bend and kicked up again! In fact it kicked up to 14% and I was spent as my legs were on fire and my HR had hit 192 which is 12bpm above my max!!

Dropping quickly to granny gears I just totally relaxed and in doing so got up it, even though I’d have been quicker getting off and walking! On reflection it turns out I’d just done one of the UK Top 100 climbs which @13 rider had kindly pointed out to me upon analysing my strava stats so to do that was a hell of an accomplishment.

Passing through Belvoir village it was time for the first feed station at Woolsthorpe and time to test these cakes that people have raved about so much. Everything was homemade and there was no fancy gels/ bars in sight- just damn good cakes!

I regrouped with the other two fellas I’d met earlier (although one did saunter past me on the big climb only to stop at the top and wait for his mate) at the feed stop and had 10 mins or so in cake heaven with them!
View attachment 432332
We set off for the next 30 mile stint and it was an immediate climb out of Woolsthorpe and it gently eased off once we crossed the A607 at Croxton Kerrial. This 30 mile section was quite easy by comparison- mainly flat- and the only real slog was around Rutland Water and to the feed stop at Wing. One of the chaps was really struggling and we took it in turns to tow him around. Turns out he’d been out the night before til 4am to celebrate his sons 16th, I was impressed he actually turned out at all!!

View attachment 432333 View attachment 432334
^feed stop at Wing.

Setting off again we embarked upon the hardest section of the ride coming out of Rutland back into Leicestershire. To say this section is lumpy is a gross understatement, add the fact we were heading west for a bit into the wind as well and it made for tough riding indeed. Climbing out of Braunstone we got split up a bit but regrouped and it was at this stage one of the chaps had enough, and said to the other to carry on and once we’d worked out his route back me and the other fella continued on our way. More ups and downs followed but before long we were at feed #3 having done 82 miles. As the other shorter routes merged by this stage the place was quite depleted of cakes but there was enough to satiate our appetites.

I pointed out to Ian that there was about 18 to go and it should be pretty steady now as we had to head back into the vale. And so it was- a nice drop into Long Clawson preceded a tough flat section into a cold headwind but once we’d done that we changed direction back into Hose village where the end was and so for the last 5 miles or so the wind was behind us.

We ran down a few riders who left the last feed a good 10 minutes before us and crossed the line in 6 hours 19 having done a total of 100.1 miles and both spent. The other fella Jonno was there waiting to see us cross the line and pick up our medals and goodie bags.

This was everything I’d hoped it would be and more and I will definitely do this one again, hopefully with better weather!

Anyway, that’s enough s**te from me.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1875733634
https://www.relive.cc/view/1875733634
View attachment 432329
View attachment 432330
View attachment 432331 View attachment 432336 View attachment 432337 View attachment 432338
Well done :okay:

C R

Guru
Sunday's ride was great, if a tad chilly to start with. Temperature was around 5C, so wore tights under the shorts, long sleeve top and full finger gloves.

The intention was to do the route I cut short last week. Out at six thirty, daylight was just about insinuating itself as I set off through town towards Droitwich, but by the time I got to Claines, morning light was already in force, with fewer clouds than it had been forecast. This was the view of the Malverns over Claines church from the A449 bridge

IMG_20180930_070253.jpg

And an attempt at an arty farty shot of the sunrise

IMG_20180930_070305.jpg

From there followed the back lanes towards the Droitwich canal

IMG_20180930_071331.jpg

And on to Droitwich up and down the lanes. On the way into the town I triggered a speed sign, 14 mph on a slight uphill, must do better. Town was quiet and I soon was on my way towards Hanbury, riding towards the slowly rising sun. Stopped at Hanbury Wharf for a drink and a nut bar, while enjoying the view of the canals. Here is where the Droitwich canal joins the Worcester to Birmingham canal.
IMG_20180930_073926.jpg

While I was here a guy with a fat bike joined the canal path Droitwich way. It looked a fancy bike, but seeing how it bounced along the path it didn't look a particularly comfortable ride.

Onwards after the rest it was a right towards Crawle. Really quiet country lanes, with loads of pheasants around. Took the left for Grafton Flyford at the Trench lane junction. This road is surrounded by trees in quite a few places, with beautiful tunnel views such as this

IMG_20180930_080126.jpg

A bit further down a group of pheasants scattered flying for a few metres in front of me, and then a large bird of prey, I think it was an owl, came from over the hedge, and flew ahead of me for a couple of hundred metres. A majestic sight, quiet and confident, compated to the noisy pheasants.

Once I reached the A422 it was a left, and then right for North Piddle, then Naunton Beauchamp an from there to Pinvin. Crossed the A44 and then right over the ford to Drakes Broughton.

After that, the lanes for Wadborough, Littleworth and down Norton for home.

33.4 miles at 14mph.

galaxy

Veteran
25A832B9-AA64-469C-9F65-0145185A3EA4.jpeg
76EDB691-D3AB-4C7F-A4A3-0E6B7A401448.jpeg
Down in Carmarthenshire for Mums funeral. Bought the Caravan down for 10 days. After walking the Dog got the bikes out for a short spin. Nice 16 smiles taking in the closed toad Circuit.
Did a few circuits. Lovely new Tarmac surface. Then a circuit round the Country Park. Next foot is with Gower in the background

Attachments

• A586C480-0E14-495E-B84E-59AD1B65E40A.jpeg
    A586C480-0E14-495E-B84E-59AD1B65E40A.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 19
Today’s ride I shall entitle “Windy and Hilly”......

....the “Gentle with Gemma” series of sister-in-law recovery rides resumed today with part seven after a nine-week hiatus and what a day she bloody picked to go out on!

I was all set to do a social “recovery” ride in my pain cave on Zwift but a last minute message from Gem pleading with me to take her out on a ride won out and so I rushed home from work, chucked everything in the car and drove to hers because I was still delicate from Sunday, it was blowing a small gale and quite frankly, I couldn’t be arsed to ride the 3 1/2 miles uphill to hers!

I didn’t really have a clue where to go or what to do at first as it’s pretty lumpy in any direction from hers but eventually I had a route in my head which eliminated a lot of climbing and we set off for a nice roll downhill along Copt Oak Road for a good 2 miles or so before turning right towards the top of beacon hill crossroads. The plan was to go straight on here to the junction at the top of sharply hill, do a U-ey and head back to said crossroads to then turn left back to hers. The crosswind at this point however meant it would’ve been a headwind once we’d turned so I sacked off that idea and came up with another plan.......

....which was to roll down sharply hill into Newtown Linford, turn right near the bottom and head for the trees to shelter from the wind a bit.

The trade off meant that this would involve a climb back home.

Polly Botts Lane to be precise. Those who are familiar with Charnwood Forest will know that, whilst not the most gruelling of climbs, it’s a punchy little number-especially for a newbie-with a gradual rise to start, a right hand bend and then a good steep 200-yard-plus kick up to the junction with Priory Lane at Ulverscroft where it ends.

Perfect for someone who hasn’t ridden since July 23rd.....

I was personally not in any mood to break PRs and so I dropped into low gears and gently spun up it right alongside Gemma, who laboured up it on her mountain bike with big knobbly tyres but superb gearing. Looking back at the strava stats we did it in a respectable 8m15 for a mile long slog, but I was more impressed that she got up it first go, having not ridden much.
46850249-3F0C-485E-B7B3-EAABF2CFFAB3.jpeg
1F28B6C8-FE89-4231-AC71-274750270ACF.jpeg

From there it was left down Priory Lane for a lumpy mile or so before turning off into Whitwick Road where we reflected on her remarkable effort up a challenging hill. Turning left onto Old House Lane I pondered having a crack at a segment I know that @13 rider has his eye on but the headwind put me off so I wimped out (not that I’d have beat him anyway!)

At the end of here it was left and left again back to gems house where we had a brew and reflected on the success of the ride.

10.4 miles in 1:01- no records broken but a big achievement for Gem, and a nice leg warmer for her half marathon on Sunday.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1879787651
https://www.relive.cc/view/1879787651
99DBB136-507C-4B0E-833D-3D88686089AA.jpeg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Wakefield on a Tuesday evening has a chaingang. My 14yo's now old enough to join in so he went along. Fine: he races.

Except I joined in: https://www.strava.com/activities/1880003999

:cycle:

13 rider

Guru
Today’s ride I shall entitle “Windy and Hilly”......

....the “Gentle with Gemma” series of sister-in-law recovery rides resumed today with part seven after a nine-week hiatus and what a day she bloody picked to go out on!

I was all set to do a social “recovery” ride in my pain cave on Zwift but a last minute message from Gem pleading with me to take her out on a ride won out and so I rushed home from work, chucked everything in the car and drove to hers because I was still delicate from Sunday, it was blowing a small gale and quite frankly, I couldn’t be arsed to ride the 3 1/2 miles uphill to hers!

I didn’t really have a clue where to go or what to do at first as it’s pretty lumpy in any direction from hers but eventually I had a route in my head which eliminated a lot of climbing and we set off for a nice roll downhill along Copt Oak Road for a good 2 miles or so before turning right towards the top of beacon hill crossroads. The plan was to go straight on here to the junction at the top of sharply hill, do a U-ey and head back to said crossroads to then turn left back to hers. The crosswind at this point however meant it would’ve been a headwind once we’d turned so I sacked off that idea and came up with another plan.......

....which was to roll down sharply hill into Newtown Linford, turn right near the bottom and head for the trees to shelter from the wind a bit.

The trade off meant that this would involve a climb back home.

Polly Botts Lane to be precise. Those who are familiar with Charnwood Forest will know that, whilst not the most gruelling of climbs, it’s a punchy little number-especially for a newbie-with a gradual rise to start, a right hand bend and then a good steep 200-yard-plus kick up to the junction with Priory Lane at Ulverscroft where it ends.

Perfect for someone who hasn’t ridden since July 23rd.....

I was personally not in any mood to break PRs and so I dropped into low gears and gently spun up it right alongside Gemma, who laboured up it on her mountain bike with big knobbly tyres but superb gearing. Looking back at the strava stats we did it in a respectable 8m15 for a mile long slog, but I was more impressed that she got up it first go, having not ridden much.
View attachment 432586 View attachment 432587

From there it was left down Priory Lane for a lumpy mile or so before turning off into Whitwick Road where we reflected on her remarkable effort up a challenging hill. Turning left onto Old House Lane I pondered having a crack at a segment I know that @13 rider has his eye on but the headwind put me off so I wimped out (not that I’d have beat him anyway!)

At the end of here it was left and left again back to gems house where we had a brew and reflected on the success of the ride.

10.4 miles in 1:01- no records broken but a big achievement for Gem, and a nice leg warmer for her half marathon on Sunday.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1879787651
https://www.relive.cc/view/1879787651
View attachment 432588
Not you as well I have enough problems with @Supersuperleeds pinching my Koms :boxing:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Back on the bike after a few days and I decided to give the Raleigh an airing. I was pressed for time a little so started off on a regular route: Condover, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cressage, Eaton Constantine, Walcot. But then varied it by taking an alternative lane to Upton Magna (bypassing Withington) and heading into town via Uffington and Sundorne Road. I went along the riverside a bit then across the English Bridge and home via Belle Vue.

Things didn't start too well when a mile into the ride I realised I had nothing in my pockets (no phone and no keys to get back in) which meant heading back to the start to pick those up and try again. After that the ride went fairly well.

I did get stuck behind a tractor for a while after Longnor (not for too long though) then on the way to Cressage I encountered a couple of cyclists riding side by side and the one on my side of the lane stuck to his line so I had to jink round him - rather impolite I thought.

Today seemed to be the day for people to give just enough room on overtaking. Nothing I could call dangerous but again, not polite so I was glad not to be spending too long on any busier roads.

The lane I took between Rodington and Upton Magna was fairly pleasant but I think works better in the other direction where the gradient and (usually) the wind are in your favour. Getting down by the weir in Shrewsbury I notice that a little cafe has appeared which might be worth investigating.

36.2 miles today at 14.7 mph average.

DSC0007218.jpg

View to the Wrekin from Cressage Bridge. Looking much more autumnal than it did only a week ago.

DSC0007219.jpg

Roses blooming at Eaton Constantine.

DSC0007220.jpg

On the way to Uppington.

DSC0007221.jpg

The view from Downton which would be a lot nicer without pylons marching across the landscape.

Top Bottom