Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Finally getting round to writing up Sundays ride which had a bit of an incident :B) in it . Set off early for a planned 70 miler from Leicester to Derby subburds around the Toyota plant to grab some velo viewer squares . Took my normal route . Anstey ,Newtown Linford ,Shepherd ,Breedon ,Melbourne and Walton from here is a nice descent on the causeway to Swarkstone bridge a quite narrow raised section of road . I was cruising along about 25mph keeping up with the traffic . At this point I think I glanced to my left when I looked forward the car in fronts brake lights were on :eek: only slowing I thought , oh s*** he's stopping at a pinch point ,anchors on full and wheels lock up just as I feel the rear wheel leaving the ground the front wheel makes contact with the cars bumper and I face plant into the rear window of the SUV and I'm on the floor .I'm fine myself surrounded by people talking about calling an ambulance but apart from a bloody nose I seem ok so I turn down the offer . People help me clean myself up with tissues and water and I stop the nose bleeding and I feel ok . After checking the car then my bike for damage thankfully no damage to either . I swap details with the driver just incase he discovers any damage I am insured through British cycling . I must say the driver took it incredibly well and wasn't angry . He asked me to let him now when I got home safe which was a nice touch . Refused an offer of a lift home and let everyone go as we were causing gridlock .Sat there for 15 mins letting the traffic ease and taking everything in . So what to do head home ,call for a lift or carry on ? . I decided to carry on for a few miles to see how I was .Well I amazingly felt fine and just carried .After about an hour I could see out the corner of my eye a swelling . Anyway stopped after 2 hrs and texted the driver to say I was fine and he texted back wishing me well . Completed the ride got my velo viewer squares and increased my max square . Walked in home to be greeted by what the **** have you done , looked in the mirror and I have a massive black eye :B) and fat lip . My sister who is quite medically pratical having worked in the NHS for years so summoned . She cleaned my wounds and checked me over . I spent Sunday with an ice pack on my eye and the swelling did go down . Other than cuts and bruises I am absolutely fine which considering everything is amazing got away with it really . Thanks to everyone who stopped and helped and the driver who didn't get angry and has texted again to check I was ok on Monday . Stay safe out there I know how quick it can go wrong . I expect to be ribbed quite a lot on Sundays ride .

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Finally getting round to writing up Sundays ride which had a bit of an incident :B) in it . Set off early for a planned 70 miler from Leicester to Derby subburds around the Toyota plant to grab some velo viewer squares . Took my normal route . Anstey ,Newtown Linford ,Shepherd ,Breedon ,Melbourne and Walton from here is a nice descent on the causeway to Swarkstone bridge a quite narrow raised section of road . I was cruising along about 25mph keeping up with the traffic . At this point I think I glanced to my left when I looked forward the car in fronts brake lights were on :eek: only slowing I thought , oh s*** he's stopping at a pinch point ,anchors on full and wheels lock up just as I feel the rear wheel leaving the ground the front wheel makes contact with the cars bumper and I face plant into the rear window of the SUV and I'm on the floor .I'm fine myself surrounded by people talking about calling an ambulance but apart from a bloody nose I seem ok so I turn down the offer . People help me clean myself up with tissues and water and I stop the nose bleeding and I feel ok . After checking the car then my bike for damage thankfully no damage to either . I swap details with the driver just incase he discovers any damage I am insured through British cycling . I must say the driver took it incredibly well and wasn't angry . He asked me to let him now when I got home safe which was a nice touch . Refused an offer of a lift home and let everyone go as we were causing gridlock .Sat there for 15 mins letting the traffic ease and taking everything in . So what to do head home ,call for a lift or carry on ? . I decided to carry on for a few miles to see how I was .Well I amazingly felt fine and just carried .After about an hour I could see out the corner of my eye a swelling . Anyway stopped after 2 hrs and texted the driver to say I was fine and he texted back wishing me well . Completed the ride got my velo viewer squares and increased my max square . Walked in home to be greeted by what the **** have you done , looked in the mirror and I have a massive black eye :B) and fat lip . My sister who is quite medically pratical having worked in the NHS for years so summoned . She cleaned my wounds and checked me over . I spent Sunday with an ice pack on my eye and the swelling did go down . Other than cuts and bruises I am absolutely fine which considering everything is amazing got away with it really . Thanks to everyone who stopped and helped and the driver who didn't get angry and has texted again to check I was ok on Monday . Stay safe out there I know how quick it can go wrong . I expect to be ribbed quite a lot on Sundays ride .

A like for carrying on not for the accident. Well done, and. I hope your black eye goes down soon.

Glad you made it home ok mate and you’re on the mend, swarky bridge is dodgy enough driving let alone cycling! There’s one little bit Stanton side that really narrows off and it’s usually give and take with the traffic. It causes mayhem most mornings and evenings there. Nice to see a motorist showing a bit of compassion.

As per @welsh dragon, a like for completing the ride and not the accident and injuries!

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
2084E5A2-460C-49EA-BF8A-C59EFD4C29BF.jpeg

Home as quick as I could, hopped on to the bike for a quick spin before dark. 19 miles with an average of 17.5 mph. Time for home made chicken, mushroom and Tarragon stew, lovely.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Liked for the ride obvs, hope you heal quickly:okay:

gavgav

Guru
Back on the bike after a few days and I decided to give the Raleigh an airing. I was pressed for time a little so started off on a regular route: Condover, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cressage, Eaton Constantine, Walcot. But then varied it by taking an alternative lane to Upton Magna (bypassing Withington) and heading into town via Uffington and Sundorne Road. I went along the riverside a bit then across the English Bridge and home via Belle Vue.

Things didn't start too well when a mile into the ride I realised I had nothing in my pockets (no phone and no keys to get back in) which meant heading back to the start to pick those up and try again. After that the ride went fairly well.

I did get stuck behind a tractor for a while after Longnor (not for too long though) then on the way to Cressage I encountered a couple of cyclists riding side by side and the one on my side of the lane stuck to his line so I had to jink round him - rather impolite I thought.

Today seemed to be the day for people to give just enough room on overtaking. Nothing I could call dangerous but again, not polite so I was glad not to be spending too long on any busier roads.

The lane I took between Rodington and Upton Magna was fairly pleasant but I think works better in the other direction where the gradient and (usually) the wind are in your favour. Getting down by the weir in Shrewsbury I notice that a little cafe has appeared which might be worth investigating.

36.2 miles today at 14.7 mph average.

View attachment 432644
View to the Wrekin from Cressage Bridge. Looking much more autumnal than it did only a week ago.

View attachment 432645
Roses blooming at Eaton Constantine.

View attachment 432646
On the way to Uppington.

View attachment 432647
The view from Downton which would be a lot nicer without pylons marching across the landscape.

Yes I spotted that cafe on a ride towards the end of last week and thought the same

Mrs M

Guru
Ouch :eek:
GWS :hugs:

kapelmuur

Veteran

I thought that sympathetic SUV drivers only existed in fantasy. Hope you have no lasting damage.

colly

Re member eR
Sorry to hear about your bump and glad you are OK. A black eye and a fat lip huh ? Pics would have been good :whistle:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Nice to hear some good news after an accident. Glad you are OK, @13 rider.

A nice midweek evening ride for me with Claire and @Dark46. A clockwise loop, mostly on quiet lanes, but with a short dash along the A38, taking in Haresfield, Standish and Whitminster, before catching the tail end of a fantastic sunset over the Severn at Frampton. By that time all lights were blazing and it was pitch black all the way home. Heard an owl at one point, and I narrowly missed a low flying bat with my forehead. Then Claire dropped a chain, and it was quite interesting putting it back on in the dark. This night riding lark really makes you concentrate on the road ahead of you, and I, for one, had no idea what speed we had been doing, as I couldn't read my speedo. A nice change, doing half the ride in the dark, though. Started in glorious sunshine, and it stayed dry when it got dark. Another 23.5 miles done.

Cheers, Donger.

Dark46

Veteran
Great ride with Claire and @Donger on our usual Wednesday night ride. As we looked the other way than normal it was good to see the sunset as it was in front tonight.

I missed Claire dropping her chain as I had sped off in the distance like a t**t hoping to get as PB! I missed it by 1s. So it wasn't worth the effort. Then rightly so got told off by Claire!

I have to say I love my lights as they do a great job of making me seen , but just need to remind myself to stay at the back as not to blind Coaire and @Donger . As my rear light is a bit big and bright!

A great 23.3 miles for me and as always with these 2 pleasure, even if I'm a t**t at times.

Attachments

• 20181003_190324.jpg
    20181003_190324.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20181003_190407.jpg
    20181003_190407.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20181003_190434.jpg
    20181003_190434.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 24

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another like for sharing with us. I hope the injuries heal quickly.

Top Bottom